- Text Size +

THE CRUCIBLE


The Second Test


 


 


         Hunter's mouth sores healed up. He continued to wear his hair long and clean and put it in a ponytail. After the first test, he felt better about himself and carried himself straighter and taller. He was handsome. He wasn't vain but he didn't avoid mirrors anymore and when he passed one he often touched the area around his mouth and admired the change and smiled.


         One day about two weeks after the test of honesty, Deb said, "Hunter, I need to do an errand tonight, so I'll need to leave an hour before closing. Can you carry on to closing and lock up for me? It's a big responsibility."


         "Sure Deb, no problem," Hunter answered. He felt like he could run this place alone already.


         The time came and Deb left. It was pretty late and no one came in so Hunter just cleaned up, sat around and took off those mother f*cking roller skates. They were fun and all but not from morning to night! Sometimes, Hunter thought that red haired woman had some sort of fetish!


         Finally closing time came. He emptied the register, put the cash in the lockbox under the counter, turned off the lights and locked the door.


         Whistling, he started home.


         God, was it always this dark? Cold too. Suddenly creeped out, Hunter walked a little faster. He wished J and K were there. (Justin and Brian. Brian knew that Hunter knew Kinney and so adopted K as his name) He wondered where J and K hung their hat. He wondered yet again why they wouldn't tell him who they were.


         God, who made the night so freakin' dark? Suddenly Hunter felt very small and younger than his 15 years. And even 15 seemed awfully young, even though, he felt grown up sometimes. He passed a few other people going the other way but he still felt very alone.


         He was almost out of the district when he saw a man leaning against a lamppost. He smiled and nodded appreciatively He was tall and muscular and he wore sneakers, jeans, a tight t-shirt and a black leather jacket. He was and good looking enough but there was a hardness in his eyes that Hunter didn't like. However, he recognized it and he wisely showed no fear. He nodded back.


         "Gotta light?" the man asked.


         "Sure," Hunter produced one.


         "Thanks." The man puffed a cig a bit, took a quick drag, and then said, "You're hot! What's a cute boy like you doing out at this time of night?"


         "I just got off work. I'm headed home."


         "So early?"


         "It seems late to me."


         "Doesn't have to be. Wanna have some fun?"


         "What are you talking about?"


         "You're smokin' hot! Let's find a quiet backroom, maybe that alley over there and I'll let you suck me off."


         "Sorry fella, I'm straight. I know the kings of the land are queer and have legalized it but I just don't swing that way." Hunter turned to go.


         "That's not what I heard," said the man.


         Hunter froze. "What did you say? What are you talking about?"


         "I've heard about you. You're name's Hunter. I heard you're the best hustler around."


         Hunter turned back and faced him. "Who told you such things? I haven't been on the streets for weeks."


         "It's true though. Isn't it? Isn't it?" The man snaked a hand around Hunter's neck and pulled him in. Hunter turned his head at the last minute and let the man kiss his cheek and trail down his neck.


         "I shouldn't kiss," said Hunter, thinking quick. I just had some...well, some things heal up around my mouth. I don't know how healthy I am."


         "No problem," The man continued to kiss and lave his neck and nibble his earlobe. Hunter shuddered. He was straight but he couldn't deny this felt pretty darn good. And it had been so long since...well, anything...had happened. As well, his body began to respond to the sensations and he reacted by rote, by habit. He began kissing the man`s neck and ears as well. The man groaned in pleasure.


         Wait! What was he doing? He pulled away, protesting, "No! Wait, I don't -"


         "Don't stop now, hustler boy, things are just getting interesting," The man sucked his neck a bit more and ran his hands over Hunter's chest. His hands tweaked a nipple through Hunter's t-shirt.


         Hunter's breath hitched and he relaxed. Ohh, dammit! The man had found one of his vulnerable spots. The man smiled and pressed his advantage. He tweaked harder and pressed a kiss to Hunter's now willing mouth. Hunter groaned in the sensations.


         "Come on. Let's take this over somewhere more private," the man cooed, gesturing toward an alley opening, "I'll give you a thousand bucks."


         "No! I don't do that anymore! I don't...I have a job! I - I -..."


         The man twisted his nipple again and held up a money clip with a thousand Liberty bucks in it. He waved it tantalizing in front of Hunter's eyes. Hunter's eyes followed it hypnotically and the pleasure of the man's ministrations flowed through him like an ocean's wave. Temptation again rose in his being. Would it be so wrong? It wasn't dishonest. He wouldn't be stealing this time. Did it really matter? Besides, it was dark, night time, and even darker in the alley. No one would know, not even J and K. They were probably snuggled into bed with each other as we spoke, maybe relaxing with a glass of port or even Jim Beam. They were snuggled up together, warm and happy far from the thought of him, far from the dark night and the mean streets that now seemed as cold and dark as a lonely forest. Why shouldn't he take care of himself, get ahead a little?


         Letting the pleasure flow through him, Hunter guided the man's hand to his other nip and the man smiled and chestplayed them both and kissed Hunter deeply again. This time Hunter relaxed against it and guided the man into the alley. At least this one wasn't so horribly dirty. Well, not as dirty as the one by the diner, anyway. Moving on autopilot, he began to unbutton the man's shirt halfway He rubbed up against him and rubbed their crotches together.


         "What's your name, handsome stranger?" he cooed, "You know mine and have me at a disadvantage."


         They call me Red," the man said. "Red Hood."


         That brought uncomfortable images of a kind and jolly man who tipped well. Hunter kissed Red to shut him up. "Names are overrated anyway," he backpedalled, "Just kiss me. Make me feel good."


         "Hmmmm, I knew you couldn't resist for long," Red Hood said, Oh my, straight boys always taste the sweetest."


         They kissed a bit more. Red Hood started to undo his belt. "Yeah, I'm glad I ran into you, my sweet Hunter. I knew you were just a hustler at heart." He gazed deep into Hunter's eyes, which were slowly glazing over. "Nothing but a whore...Nothing but a whore."


         But Hunter just seemed to hear him from a long way off. At the sound of the man's pants opening, his mind had started doing that separating trick it always did, letting his body move on autopilot, letting his mind and memory shut down, blocking out what was to come.


         "C'mon Jimmy!" his mother's shrill voice sliced through his memory as it always did. C'mon! For Momma! We all have to do our part! We all have to pull our own weight! C'mon Jimmy! C'MON!...C'MON!" The voice was both torturous and comforting, a justification of what he was about to do.


         Red Hood had pulled out his dick. Hunter ventured a look down. It was nice. Seven inches, thick, cut. At the same time he was filled with a revulsion at what he was about to do. "Oh God, no! Not again! Not again..." his mind whimpered. "Mmmmm. Nice cock," his mouth said of its own volition.


         "It's all yours, hustler boy!" Red Hood purred, "You know you want it." He pushed Hunter to his knees. His thick cock throbbed up and down right in front of Hunter's face. "Suck it!" he commanded, "Suck it, boy!" He grasped the back of Hunter's head and reeled him in. "Ahh yes!"he said in triumph, "Once a hustler, always a hustler! Suck it, whore!"


         Closer and closer came the dick to Hunter's mouth. Three inches. Two inches.


         The man was right. Once a hustler, always a hustler. Just a whore. He was just a whore.


         A tear trickled down his cheek.


         One inch. Just a whore. A half inch. Just a whore. Hunter opened his mouth.


         And knew that if that fat cock entered his mouth, he'd choke, gag, puke on it.


         He twisted his head at the last second and it poked him in the cheek. "NO!" he yelled.


         He twisted and struggled. "NO! Let me go! Let me go!" And miraculously, Red Hood did. He could have grabbed him tighter, forced him in but Hunter found he was able to struggle free. He stood up.


         "NO! I'm a busboy! I'm straight! I'm a busboy! I may be a whore but I won't do it anymore. I can't! I won't! I don't wanna! I'm a busboy! I'm a big boy! I can pull my own weight! I'm a big busboy! I d'wanna! I d'wanna!" He was unaware of his slip and he burst into tears and pushed the man away. He ran out of the alley, running blindly away, crying bitter tears that blinded him as he ran, ran, ran away from that place. Somehow he made it back to Debbie's, a long time later but if you asked him how he got there later, he would never have been able to tell you.


***********


         A few minutes later Red Hood, composed and zipped up, sauntered out of the alley. He walked up the block a bit until he reached a non-descript black car with tinted windows. He knocked twice on the window. It slid down halfway.


         "Well?" a voice asked.


         "He didn't go for it," Red Hood said, He passed in the money clip. "It was close but he changed his mind at the last minute. Here's your money back."


         The man inside took half the money out of the clip and passed it back. "And here is what was promised."


         "Hey, if I were you, I'd check up on the little guy. I think he had some kind of break."


         "I'll take care of it, "the man in the car said, "You may go. Good night."


         "Good night then,' said Red Hood. "Nice doing business with you." He pocketed the money and walked off.


         The window slid closed. Inside, a pair of blue eyes smiled.


************


         Over the next few days, Hunter was very different. He barely spoke except when spoken to and then in short, clipped sentences or just yes or no answers. He was polite but curt. He offered no new information. He kept his hair up in the net and his eyes down. He looked no one in the eyes. He never laughed. He never looked into a mirror.


         "One pink, one blue plate special," he recited flatly, at lunch one day.


         "I had the pink," said Red.


         "And I had the blue," said Fred.


         "Yes sirs," he said in that horrible dead voice it had become. His eyes were cast down so he mixed up the plates anyway.


         The twins switched them back. They looked at each other.


         "Hunter, is everything all right?" Fred asked gently.


         "Yes sir. I'm fine." Eyes were cast down.


         "Well, if there is anything...anything at all, you know you can talk to us, right boy?" Red reached out to pat his shoulder.


         Hunter flinched violently away from the touch. "I'm fine," he said again. "I have to go. I have orders." And he skated away.


         Eventually, 6:00 PM rolled around. And J and K came into the diner to visit him. They were laughing and carefree as always. K was in his leathers and J was in denim and his blond hair was windblown.  They looked beautiful.


         Hunter looked at them through the window secretly for a few moments. He loved them. He hated them. He felt dead. He felt sick He felt nausea churn his stomach and coalesce into a stone of sick, settling heavy into the bottom of his stomach. He took a deep breath. He could get through this. He would get through this.


         He skated through the swinging door and skated up to them. He looked down and away from them. He could not look at that erotic leather that reminded him of men and sex and Red Hood. He could not look at those blue, blue eyes that radiated a peace he would never know.


         "Evening, Gentlemen, what can I get you tonight?" he asked dully.


         "Hello Hunter," Justin's serene voice cut through him like a blade, "Why don't you bring us three steak dinners and then sit and eat with us."


         In due course the dinners were ready and Hunter brought them. He brought only two.


         "We don't close for a little while yet. I should get back to work. I'm not hungry anyway," he said, his eyes cast down. That much was true. He spun on his heel and tried to escape.


         "Hunter!" K spoke with sharp command, a quiet authority. Hunter stopped dead, as surely as if K's words had captured him with a lasso around his chest.  "Come back here. Sit down with us. You don't have to eat but you will talk with us. Your shift is over. We'll fix it with Deb. You will lose no wages. Sit down."


         Hunter sat down. "May I take off my skates sirs?"


         They nodded assent. "What's with the sir routine?" K asked.


         "What's the difference between sir and an anonymous letter?" Hunter returned.


         "He's got you there, my love," J said in amusement.


         Hunter shucked off the skates and groaned in obvious relief. He sat facing forward in the booth, eyes down.


         "We've been apprised of the change in your behaviour," J said, "Is there something you'd like to tell us?"


         "Who - who...apprised you?" Hunter asked.


         "Debbie...and the Remington Twins. They're all very concerned. Please tell us what is wrong."


         Hunter said nothing. He studied the Formica tabletop like it was a religious relic.


         "Hunter! Look at us!" commanded K in his deep voice that was full of that quiet authority. Where did that come from? Against his will, Hunter raised his head and looked at the two men who had shown him such kindness that he did not deserve.


         Hunter bit the bullet. "I - I cannot...do this anymore," he said brokenly.


         "Do what, Hunter?" asked J.


         "This!" Hunter gestured abstractedly, "Whatever we're doing here! Oh God! I don't even know what we're doing here! You cleaned me up! You dressed me up. I have a good job and Debbie lets me waiter now instead of just bussing. But all that's just outside stuff! It doesn't matter! Nothing matters! It doesn't matter because I'm still just a...just a...just a hmmffhhfht....." he trailed off and bowed his head in shame, red as a beet.


         "Just a what, Hunter?" asked J.


         "JUST A WHORE!" Hunter yelled, "I'm just a whore! Just a hustler! Just a dressed up doll of a whore with a better second job! Don't you see! No matter where I go, whatever happens, it'll always be the same: There goes that busboy/waiter/whatever! Hey boy, come on over here! I know you're a waiter now but bend on over, I know what you used to do! I heard you hustled! Come on over! We know you're just a whore! And you know what? They're right! I'm just a whore with clean hair!"


         J and K were silent.


         "So...I cannot let this...whatever it is continue. I don't know what you want from me, if you wanna make me your pet or your toy or what but I'm not! I'm not a pet or a toy! And I won't let you play with me like I was some sort of doll or fixer upper just to throw me away when you get bored. I'll tell Deb I'm no longer under your protection and see if she'll still let me work here. I'll find my own place. It'll be a craphole but at least it will be MY craphole! And if she doesn't, I'll make my way in the world and go hustle again. It's what I am, after all!"


         There was silence except for Hunter's muted sobs as he gave up the best thing that would ever come his way in his life. He buried his face in his hands not to contain his tears (although they did somewhat) but because he knew the next time he looked up he would see and empty booth and he wanted to avoid that for as long as possible


         So when he felt a large, rough hand stroke his hair and a second body slide into the seat next to him, he nearly jumped out of his skin. He flinched violently away from both touches but they would not be denied. K continued to stroke his hair gently and J slid next to him and wrapped an arm around his shoulders and then the other one around his front so that he his two hands clasped each other and encircled him.


         "Oh Hunter, we are so sorry if we made you feel like that," J said, "You are not our pet or our toy. And we most certainly do not want to throw you away. You see, we are grooming you because we want you to become our son."


         Hunter snapped to attention and flinched again but it was one of surprise instead of revulsion. "Your son! What do you mean? Your son, son? I told you, I ain't into anything kinky! I don't do Daddy/son scenes! Just who are you anyway?"


         "No, Hunter, we mean our adopted son! Let's just say we're two rich fags who want to build a family. Very rich. We already adopted two babies, a boy and a girl but then we met you and we didn't plan on it but it was like, you chose us. And we want you."


         "Then what are you waiting for!? Let's just go! Take me away from all this! Get me outta here!" Hunter yelled lustfully.


         "We want you. But you do not want us. Not yet. Oh sure, you would come with us now for the things we could give you...But you would tire of us...quickly. There is no bond. That is why we are waiting. We are preparing you. And when you feel the hook of love has pierced your heart and is pulling you to us no matter where you are in this world, then we will adopt you. And when the adoption is complete, you will want for nothing...and no-one will ever look on you and think of you as a hustler ever again."


         "That sounds too good to be true," Hunter wept, "It sounds like the ending to a tired out old fairy tale!"


         J and K exchanged knowing smiles. "Perhaps," said J, "So what brought on this change of heart anyway? Why did you feel as if you were just a hustler again?"


         "I told you. That's all anyone will recognize me as. It happened a few nights ago. I was walking home and I met a man. He recognized me. I don't know how. I haven't been on the streets for weeks, since you picked me up. But he offered me a thousand dollars to suck him off. I told him I was straight but I weakened. I felt myself slipping away, separating and I knew he was right. I was just a whore. Underneath everything, I'm just a whore and I needed to accept that. So I knelt down but when I saw that dick coming , I just - I just wanted to puke! I couldn't do it! I wouldn't! So I..."


         "So you shoved him away and told him where to stick it and ran away!" yelled J, "I knew you had it in you!"


         "I...that's right! More or less. How did YOU know that!"


         "Because I set him up to test you. And you have passed the second test of morality!"


         "DAMMIT J!!" Hunter yelled, This is exactly what I was talking about! You can't keep doing this to me! You can't keep toying with me, with my life! Do you realize what you put me through! How you made me feel? Do you realize how close I came to sucking him off and falling back into the life? FUCK!!" he swore.


         "But you didn't. You didn't fall back. You resisted and realized that you have grown and matured past all that. Don't you see, Hunter? Whoring is what you did and you did it to survive, not who you are. What you are is a boy, almost a man who is honest and wants to do the right thing now, even if it means giving up what is most precious to him. When you were on the street, can you say that is who you would have been?


         "No. No, I was not that person. But still, you cannot keep doing this to me! I cannot take it! I cannot take it!" Hunter wept against J's shoulder.


         Dammit, Ju - J! Can't we just take the little twat home!?" asked K.


         "No. You know we cannot. Once more through the crucible you must go, my son, and then you will be perfect. And all our joys will be full.


         But Hunter just wept. "I cannot take this! I cannot!"


         J lifted his chin with one finger and looked into his eyes. "Hunter, you can," he said simply.


         "Why? Why me? Why did you choose me for this?" His almost fathers were blurry through his tears.


         K answered this one. "I had a friend once. He had dark hair and green eyes just like you. Unfortunately, evil overcame my friend's heart and consumed him. He became bitter, bigoted, jealous, angry and hateful. In the end, his evil ways overcame him and he was destroyed by his own actions. He is gone now. He is gone but I remember when he was here and I remember the man he was before evil entered his heart. He was good and kind and content to be so. It was that version of my friend that would have loved you and for his sake that we are helping and loving you now. Because, I am confident he would have helped you and loved you if he was here."


         After that, J pulled him out of their seat and pushed him between them and together they cuddled with him for a long time and Hunter's stomach finally relaxed enough to eat the leftovers that were on both their plates. And he was able to hug and touch Brian without associating his leather with abuse.


         And after what seemed like a long time and yet not long enough, J declared it was time to go. At the door, he hugged Hunter's smaller frame in farewell and told him: "When I left home, I was warned against the hooks of man and especially the hook of love. Happily, I have disregarded that warning twice now and it has made me a better man by doing so."


         "Hook of love? I don't understand."


         "You will, my future son. You will. Good bye."


         Hunter watched them get on their big gleaming motorcycle. He expected J to get on the back but at the last minute K scooted back and J hopped in front, facing him. He wrapped his arms around K's torso and their legs entwined. And in this mind boggling position, they roared off and out of the parking lot. Hunter watched until they were out of sight.