- Text Size +

 

 

CHAPTER SEVEN: COLLISIONS AND COLLUSIONS


 

“I’m here, Mom,” Molly announced, as she walked into the large office with its floor-to-ceiling windows. She was dressed in her red suit, blonde hair tied back in possibly one of the most severe buns her mother had ever seen her wear.

 

“Where have you been all morning?” Jennifer, who was dressed similarly in black and gray, asked. “I called you right after I received the callback from Justin.”

 

“I know. After I climbed out of bed- no, I won’t give you his name- I went to speak with Tom Brandt.”

 

“Peter’s dad? What for?”

 

“After yesterday’s fiasco, with the pest screaming with the high-pitched voice in the lobby, I asked him to do some surface digging. His preliminary report discovered that his name is Michael Charles Novotny, and a more shiftless, lazy bastard has never walked the face of the earth. Apparently, he is the best friend of Brian Kinney, which is the name of the man whose name he kept screaming as he interrupted the meetings, and general workflow within the Taylor building yesterday. If this is whom Mr. Kinney chooses to associate with, I think we need to rethink our potential association with Kinnetik Enterprises.”

 

Jennifer bit her lip in response. She had done her own digging in reference to Brian Kinney, upon hearing word that Justin scheduled a meeting with the man on Tuesday. It was then that she had also discovered that Justin and the man were involved, in a sense. Although based on her son’s reputation, and that of Mr. Kinney’s, neither man would be in their liaison for much longer. In fact, that they were together again not twenty-four hours ago, was too long by their own usual standards.

 

Jennifer held no illusions about her son, and had faced the facts about him a long time ago. Justin had a wandering dick, and wasn’t in the slightest shy about pointing it to whatever hole took his fancy at the moment. She’d seen it in person many times when they were out and about, even sometimes during business lunches where the client was only too happy to keep her company while Justin tended to his body’s needs. He was a fascinating young man, who could seem relatively harmless so for clients it was fairly easy to overlook Justin's proclivities. He had no shame and based on the reports she’d received about Mr. Brian Kinney, he didn’t either.

 

“I don’t know, Molly. On paper, Kinnetik is beyond impressive, and just what Taylor Industries will need to boost sales.”

 

“But at the cost of our company’s reputation? I don’t…”

 

“Molly, let’s leave that for Justin to decide. I have it on good authority that like Justin, Mr. Kinney lives his life by a certain code of ethics. I’m sure that Mr. Novotny’s actions- although they might reflect poorly upon Mr. Kinney personally- have nothing to do with Kinnetik’s reputation as a top-notch advertising agency. As for the man himself, let’s wait and see. Justin has already met the man and apparently they have… similar interests. By all accounts they seem to get on well, and we know that's a rare situation, simply because people tend to look at Justin and see a kid. Now we know that’s far from the truth, but based on what I’ve heard, Mr. Kinney doesn’t have any such qualms about Justin’s ability to run both corporations. The real question is, if while he is taking on the business, with the potential to take on Winston Inc. as well, will Kinnetik be able to handle the public relations aspect? After this meeting with Arnold, I don’t doubt that we will need a more experienced spin doctor than Mark is used to handling.”

 

Molly mulled over what Jennifer was telling her, knowing that Jennifer made some valid points. It was just that she worried about her brother, not only with what Craig Taylor was trying to do to the company, but especially to his ex-wife and children. Daryl had called her to tell her of Justin’s confrontation with Craig the day before. The cancelling of the DeCampo account happened yesterday just after the company closed business for the day. Craig was slick and thought that word wouldn’t get to them before Monday morning, when all the paperwork would have a chance to be filed.

 

When Molly had received word, she immediately called Daphne just before she boarded her plane and told her to go to New York to meet with the DeCampos and Justin. Daphne had suggested that Molly try to find out what number the call came from. Cesarino DeCampo, the Head Buyer for the DeCampo family, called her back personally to tell her the number, Molly was livid. The call had come directly from Arnold’s office within Taylor Industries. Although one business had nothing to do with the other, everyone knew that Justin was the CEO of both companies, therefore it wouldn’t have seemed strange to have a call go to clients from within either building. Not only had Arnold fucked up by using his direct office line, but also by stating that the order had come from Craig Taylor, CEO. Cesarino had asked her if that meant Justin had finally given into Craig’s demands. Molly had told him that Justin would speak to his father personally about the matter, but Justin was still the head of both corporations and was not relinquishing that authority, especially to the likes of Craig. Cesarino, who knew all about the circumstances of how Justin had come to inherit both companies, told her that he would let his father know, and that although they were scheduled to return to Milan, he would make certain that the trip would be delayed.

 

As a result, Justin was on his way there, along with Maggie, Peter, and Daphne. She could only hope that the hard-driven Cesare DeCampo didn’t underestimate Justin and try to throw his weight around. Although they have known each other a long time, Cesare has never dealt with an irate, headstrong Justin, since Alfred was always the one to conduct these particular negotiations. But Justin had learned his lessons from his Grandfathers Alfred Winston and JJ Taylor well; he was no longer the young man Cesare would have to the forefront of his mind. Hopefully Donatella will be the cooler head to prevail. In the meantime, she had to know if Kinnetik was willing to take them on as clients sooner than later, because that snake bastard Arnold was striding through the door.

 

“I want to know the meaning of this,” he demands, slamming the yellow envelope down on the massive mahogany desk.

 

Jennifer, who had taken her seat behind the desk shortly before advising Molly of the plan regarding Kinnetik, picked up the envelope delicately before opening it. Moving deliberately slowly, she pulled out the stack of paper, perusing it. She snickered at the tersely worded letter Justin had included in the package. She knew that he didn’t have time to write it this morning, so it was apparent that Justin had already prepared it in advance. “Well Arnold, it looks like you have finally done something that my son couldn’t forgive you for.”

 

“It looks to me like I’m being fired unfairly.”

 

“Unfairly? Really?” Molly sniped, earning her a beady-eyed glare from the man standing in front of the desk.

 

“You, young lady should learn not to interrupt when adults are speaking.”

 

Molly gripped her mother’s shoulder lightly to stay her mother's defense. Since Arnold felt he had the right to address her, she would issue her own response to his idiocy. “Arnold, there are exactly two adults in this room, and sadly, as old as you are, you aren’t one of them. You and my father choose to play high school bullshit games yet I’m considered the child?”

 

“What are you talking about? I know of no high school games,” Arnold sputtered.

 

“She means the phone call you made yesterday from within your office at Taylor Industries, cancelling a lucrative account with the DeCampo family.” Jennifer looked at the man steadily, noticing all of the emotions flitting across the suddenly florid countenance.

 

“I don’t know what you are speaking of,” Arnold tried again.

 

“Sure you do, since you spoke with the owner’s son instead of Cesare himself. Did you really think that the number couldn’t or wouldn’t be traced to you? It was truly the mark of someone careless and ignorant to pull this stunt Arnold, and now it’s cost you your job, your insurance, your status within the company, and half your pension.”

 

“You can’t do that!”

 

“Sure I can,” Jennifer purred, “And I am, with Justin’s blessing. Furthermore, you didn’t read the fine print on the renewal contract you signed. The benefits you collect upon the premature termination of your employment, are up to the discretion of the CEO of Taylor Industries. Justin is actually being very generous by letting you keep half your pension- the part you actually paid into, mind you. If it were up to me, you wouldn’t keep anything. Also enclosed in this envelope is the eviction notice, in which he gave you a month whereas I would have your ass tossed out immediately. As for any personal belongings you had in your desk at the building, you can pick them up from the security desk downstairs when you leave. We’ve already had it emptied and your belongings brought here so that you had no reason to make a second trip downtown. After all, cab and bus fare can be expensive. Consider this my gift to you since you no longer have access to the company car we leased for you. Your severance check is inside the envelope Arnold. Spend it wisely. Byron, we’re done with him.”

 

“One final word of caution Arnold,” Molly chimed in. “I wouldn’t look to or rely on my father for anything. The one stipulation in the will that you didn’t know about, and Grandfather didn’t want you to, although I need to break faith now, is that Justin was named CEO to protect your ungrateful ass.”

 

“What do you mean?” Arnold asked brokenly, suddenly feeling older than he ever did.

 

“Grandfather knew that if Craig found out that you and George were more than the cousins that he thinks you are, you would have been fired without any recourse since there weren’t any laws that protected a homosexual’s civil rights until recently. So all that pussyboy plotting you were doing with my father against Justin- a fellow homo- would have led to you being jobless, homeless, and penniless, if Craig the Cunt had his way. Happy now? Do you feel like the big man you were trying to be? I doubt it. Enjoy your life Arnold, and try to gain some fucking sense at long last. You’re too old to act like a brand new fool,” Molly said, handing the stunned older man the envelope.

 

Byron was waiting behind the older man, ready to escort him out. Jennifer and Molly watched as Arnold walked as if the weight on the world was on his shoulders. It was quite different than the determined strides he used to enter the office. Neither woman could find it in their hearts to pity the arrogant man. Justin had been warning him for years to mind himself and to stop siding with Craig. As far as they were concerned, Arnold deserved everything that just befell him; to have his eyes pried open to how Craig had used him, at great cost to himself.

 

Molly picked up her cell phone, which was resting on the table. Dialing the familiar number, she connected with Justin’s cell and left the message on his voicemail. “It’s done. Call me when you get this. We need to talk about Novotny.”

 

“What do you have in mind?” Jennifer asked her daughter, when she hung up.

 

“I don’t know yet, but I’m willing to listen to your advice about Kinney and Kinnetik. I guess we’ll have to see what Justin says about all of this. But he can only make an informed decision with all of the facts. Do you know if Justin knows about the man, who could be considered Brian’s stalker?”

 

“I doubt there is much that Justin doesn’t know, since technically he and Brian run in the same circles...or should I say fuck circles around the regulars inhabiting Liberty Avenue. But if there really is something developing between Brian and Justin, I think Brian- who lives his life openly and unapologetically- will give Justin all of the information he needs to know.”

 

“Are you thinking that Justin may have found his elusive match?” Molly smirked at her mother.

 

“I don’t know about all of that." Jenn laughed in response. "But I do know that if there is more there between them, it will be entertaining to watch the two most unattainable men in this Burgh try to fight the inevitable.”

 

Pouring cups of coffee for both her mother and herself, Molly proposed a toast. “Well then… let the games begin!!”

 

“You know, you would make a horrible announcer, Mol,” Jennifer laughed right along with her daughter, happy that her once vivacious child was finally letting herself feel once more. Next up… Craig Taylor must pay!


~AC~


“Fancy meeting you here, Michael,” Lindsay said, as she sat down without waiting for an acknowledgement.


Michael looked up from the coffee cup he was staring into. “What do you want Lindsay?”


“Oh now, Michael… why are you sounding so dejected? Things can’t be that bad.”


“Oh no? Well let me think… my best friend of about twenty years has ejected me from his life; I’ve lost my husband and my job; my mother won’t even speak to me or help me out, and although I’m living above the store, since I no longer own the building, I have to pay five-hundred a month in rent. No, things couldn’t possibly be that bad. Oh and to top it all off, I found out who that fucking blond Brian’s been hanging out with is.”


Lindsay’s ears perked up at the last statement, after tuning out most of the Novotny Whine Express. “Well, who is he? Surely he must be some twink that you can get rid of; you’ve done that before. I’m sure Brian will thank you.”


“Wrong, Lindsay. Fucking wrong! I went to his office, thinking Brian was there because he wasn't at Kinnetik. I was tossed out like yesterday's trash! I still have the bruises on my ass to prove it.”


“Well there you go. A lawsuit should keep the little blond fucker busy. Where does he work?”


“He doesn’t work there, Lindsay. He OWNS the company!”


“Surely you’re mistaken. The boy you described to me couldn’t be more than twenty-one.”


“No, he’s older than he looks. After I heard his name bandied about the Diner, I went to the library, and did some research on him. His name is Justin Taylor. Not only is he the CEO of Taylor Industries, but he’s also the CEO of Winston Inc.”


“So, he’s a trust fund kid. I’ll bet his Daddy is just thrilled that his baby boy is gay, and has taken up with the notorious Brian Kinney.”

 

Michael shook his head. “That isn’t the only way he makes his money. As if that isn’t enough, he’s also a famous artist and the creator of the Rage video game franchise.”


“Famous artist?" Lindsay scoffed. "I doubt that, since I’ve never heard of him. I know just about everyone in the Art World.”


Michael gave her a skeptical glare. “Apparently not, Oh Ms. High-and-Mighty Art World Enthusi-ASS since you own one of his pieces, and don’t even know that you do. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if Mel has decided to take it with her. It’s probably worth a small fortune. I remember Brian buying it as a gift for Mel paying off the house.” Michael pulled out his cell phone, typing ‘Justin Taylor’ into the search engine. Flipping it around, he showed it to her. “Here, this is the piece that has been in your house for more than four years. It’s called Lucky. But you know that, right?” He sneered, taking back his phone.


“Fine. So what, he’s famous. Even famous people are vulnerable, Michael; probably even moreso than the rest of us. We just have to find the angle in which to get to him.”


“Nope! Tried that, too. Other than hanging out at Babylon and fucking, there isn’t anything else out there to get him away from Brian. He’s just as unapologetic as Brian is, Lindsay. He’s not going to be embarrassed, or blackmailed into anything that could ruin him.”


“Oh ye of little faith,” Lindsay said, as she pulled out her own cell phone. “Lynette, it’s Lindsay, darling. Is Daddy there? Yeah, I need to speak with him about a little PI work, if possible.” Fifteen minutes of frivolous conversation with her sister and her father, and Lindsay got his agreement to look into Justin Taylor's background for her. Turning back to her coffee-shop companion she said, “See, Michael. It’s all about who you know. Now let’s come up with a plan for when we do receive the information. Daddy said it should take about a day.”


Michael smiled at her for the first time since she sat down. “Good, I’m looking forward to getting my best friend back.”


“Me too, Michael. Me too.” Lindsay sipped her coffee, thinking of all the ways she would indeed get Brian, while Michael chattered on listlessly. If he only knew her thoughts, he might not have been so willing to accept her help. But that was a lesson she would be glad to impart to Michael, as soon as Brian was hers.




~AC~

 

“So basically, you’re telling me that nothing can be done?” Craig paced Roy Johnson’s office, as he had been doing for the past two hours. “He’s just going to get away with this shit?”


“Looks that way, Craig. Not only that, but with Kitty pressing charges against you for assault and battery, he had every right to fire you and evict you from the premises. Why didn’t you take his offer of rehab when you first started getting out of control?”


“I wasn’t out of control dammit!” Craig yelled. He was itching for another sniff of coke, but with Justin blocking all access to the business bank accounts, including the one he set up for the small branch Craig was supposed to grow, he had no way of paying his dealer this time. Craig had a total of three hundred dollars in his personal account and that would have to last him until he could sue Justin. But Roy was sitting there telling him that he didn’t have a case. “Besides, the fucker pulled a gun on me.”


“Really? Is there any proof of such a claim, Craig?”


“Can't you have the weapon subpoenaed or something? It belonged to his bodyguard. Surely my DNA would be on it.”


“That sounds about as far-fetched as you being sober right now.”


“I am sober!”


“You’re not supposed to lie to your lawyer, Craig. When was your last hit?”


Craig sighed. “Four hours ago. It was only a gram, not enough to keep me sated.”


“You need detox. It’s the only way to show that you are apologetic, and may actually keep your ass out of the State Pen. We could say that due to your substance abuse, you had a moment of temporary insanity and impaired judgement while arguing with Kitty. Since she’s gone back to you several times before, her claim could be looked at as a case of Stockholm syndrome.”


“Kitty loves me.”


“Many people love their abusers.”


“I didn’t abuse her.”


“Craig, I saw her medical report. You dogged that woman! Honestly, if I was her, I would have pressed charges against you, too. I would make it stick so long that you would never see the light of day again. But I’m not Kitty, and you’re very lucky that you paid my retainer up for the year, before Justin removed all your access to the other Taylor accounts. Otherwise you would have been stuck with legal aid.”


“Then what the fuck am I here for?”


“I’ve been trying to figure out the same thing, since you don’t seem interested in taking my legal advice. But if you want to go to trial, that’s fine. I’m paid whether you win, or do time. From the looks of this case, you’ll be doing hard time. Let’s not forget the embezzlement charges against you as well, since Justin gave you money to open and grow a Taylor Electronics franchise. You haven’t. Did that money go up your nose as well?” When Craig looked at him with fear in his eyes, Roy had his answer. “I’ll call Jennifer. Maybe she will be the least bit sympathetic, and have you checked into the rehab upstate by the evening.”


“No, she won’t. She’s a bitch, and has turned Kitty against me. Call Justin instead.”


Roy laughed. “You really think he’s going to do anything for you? He’s already dealing with your spite and ill-will regarding the DeCampo account. Your bullshit also gave him reason to fire Arnold Scheffield. Happy now, Craig?”


“He would… he would never fire Arnold! His grandfather must be turning over in his grave.”


“Can, will, and did Craig. And it's all thanks to you and your vendetta. For the record, we both know that J.J. would have approved of Justin’s actions. The man may have been his best friend, but siding with you branded the bastard a traitor. There is more to that story, but I think I’ll let you find that out on your own.”


“You tell Justin that if he doesn’t agree, I’ll go to the press. That amateur, Mark can only spin this tale so much that Justin won’t personally take the hit.”


“That’s the other thing, Craig. Mark is no longer Justin’s publicist for big things. I believe he mentioned that Justin was entertaining Kinnetik, since he fired Vance for his lack of vision.”


“The man who runs Kinnetik is a faggot!”


“Just like your son, Craig. In fact, I would suggest you become more politically correct when speaking of Justin, or homosexuals in general. Your bigotry causes people to turn off their ears, when you’re making a plea to save your ass. Everyone is different in their own way.”


“You sound just like one of them.”


“I should, but only because I’m a well-to-do black man, born and raised in the ghetto of Brownsville, Brooklyn. Needless to say, I’ve faced my own share of hatred and discrimination, even within my own community, for being a light-skinned black. So again, Craig, you should temper your speech since it isn’t politically correct to be a hate monger.”


“Just fucking call Justin! And as for Kinney, wish him luck in spinning this shit if Justin decides to be an asshole.”

 

“If he does, it will just prove that the apple doesn’t fall that far from the tree, since it’s clear who his asshole tendencies stem from,” Roy said, as he picked up the phone.