- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Just as Brian and Justin are discovering how perfectly matched they are for each other, and gotten everyone who cares about them to agree, a dark cloud that has stayed in the background for some time is beginning to grow ever more threatening. Watch out, the storms are coming! Many thanks to my banner maker Amy and the wonderful Judy for her beta skills.    

It hadn't been easy. It certainly took away from any fun time Chris could have been having during his last Summer vacation before starting first quarter at the University under the football scholarship he had earned, but it had all been worth it to the determined young man. Chris had gotten enough information on his targets through his own observations. Combining that with a few careful questions asked around their favorite haunts helped him feel like he could form a workable plan of action. His main goal was to get Justin as far away from the police officer he was shacking up with as possible while keeping the cop far too distracted to know he was being played. He had even reached the point of knowing when it would happen. If everything worked out he would never have to think about Justin Taylor again before the weekend even began. 

In the meantime, the object of his irrational hatred was having the best time of his life. Justin woke every morning with one of two things. Either he awoke early enough to feel the strong arms of his lover wrapped tightly around him, or he had overslept and woke to an empty bed. Brian never bothered to wake him if he was particularly tired, but it didn't matter. If he didn't have the man himself he could still smell Brian on the pillowcase next to his or the smell of his aftershave lotion filling the room. Brian was a hard-working cop and Justin didn't begrudge him all the hours he put in on the job. He knew how much Brian loved his job and how strong his devotion was to it. He knew Brian was particularly obsessed with the need to crack the gay bashing cases and keep them from happening again. 

Justin had actually tried to help in his own way by visiting his old classmate, Billy Simpson, at the hospital shortly after he came out of his coma. By now he had talked with Billy's sister and learned of the infatuation the poor kid had been nursing for him for some time. It was the only reason that Billy had been out in the park on that fateful night. Billy couldn't remember all the details of his bashing but he had recalled why he went to the park, thanks to a little prompting from Carl and Brian who asked him point blank about the message on his cell phone. Justin had felt a bit of guilt over this, but Jillian made it clear that neither she nor her family blamed anyone but the bashers for Billy's pain and suffering. They had known that their beloved son and brother could become a victim someday if the wrong people entered his life, but they had no desire for him to suppress his true nature. They knew that would cause more harm to him than anyone else could inflict. 

Billy's face lit up when he saw Justin standing in the doorway of his hospital room. It was obvious the young man didn't blame Justin for anything. It humbled Justin to see how much Billy still cared about him because a moment later the young man's eyes began to well up with tears. Justin felt a moment of panic but Billy pulled himself together quickly. He then went on to apologize to Justin for dragging him into the whole mess. Justin couldn't believe his ears. Billy felt guilty for telling the police that he had gone to the park thinking Justin had wanted to meet him there. He was actually afraid that the police would think Justin had something to do with setting him up. 

It broke Justin's heart to see the kid so worried about him when he was the one who was victimized. Justin was quick to reassure Billy that the police knew he had nothing to do with the bashing at all. He wondered if he should explain his relationship with the investigating officer on his case, but decided that the time wasn't right for such a disclosure. Billy had enough to deal with. He didn't need to know that the guy he had a crush on was already involved with someone else. Justin did, however, explain himself to Jillian knowing what a good head she had on her shoulders and her deep devotion to her brother. It had been a wise move. A few days later, he got a call from Jillian. She had talked to her brother and, although he was disappointed he understood that Justin was not available and held no grudges. Unfortunately, Justin's visit hadn't jogged loose any memories that could help the police with his case.

Brian was enjoying his new status as 'boyfriend' far more than he would have imagined, and certainly more than his friends had ever imagined either. All of them now realized that they would hardly ever see Brian unless he had Justin right beside him. Even Mikey had learned to accept that Brian was happy with the way things were and seldom scowled when he saw the couple together anymore. He had even learned to appreciate Justin's sharp wit and basic intelligence...no longer trying to one-up the much younger man with a snappy comeback whenever he thought he had found an opening. Brian was still hit on by every stud around every time he showed up at Babylon or Woody's, despite the fact that he almost always walked in with his arm around Justin's shoulder or waist, but he would always give the intruder a withering 'fuck off' look that seemed to do the trick. The would-be one night stand would slink off to look for a more available stud for his evening's fun.

Justin wasn't oblivious to Brian's popularity or to the fact that he got a lot of attention himself, especially on the dance floor, but he really only had eyes for one man. The instant that Brian took him in his arms on the dance floor or pulled him close to his body at Woody's or in a booth at the diner all the other men around faded into the background like anonymous grey wallpaper...devoid of color or interest. Brian was the bright light that brought color into Justin's world. Brian was feeling the same thing. He could spot Justin's dazzling smile from a mile away, if he had to. Of course he had no intention of letting that kind of distance separate them out in public...not as long as the bashers were still unidentified. 

The bashers were the only dark cloud that hung over Brian and Justin and their true happiness in being together. Justin wasn't really as concerned for himself as Brian, but he hated to see how the case was getting under Brian's skin. It was the main reason he seldom went against any of Brian's suggestions about keeping himself safe. Under any other circumstances he might have chafed at the restrictions Brian wanted him to live with, but he would never want to make his lover worry about him so he never argued with Brian. That didn't mean that he was always as cautious as he should be. Every Thursday he would take a cab to the 'Carnegie Museum of Art' where they would have a new display of paintings or photos for him to enjoy and make sketches of. Of course he didn't mention these visits so as not to worry Brian. He didn't want him to panic like he did that first day because of a short visit to the store on the first day he moved in.

What Justin didn't know was that he had a dangerous enemy who had learned that Justin would leave home without someone tagging along, even though it hadn't happened very often. He was always in a public place but Chris knew that even a public place had its weaknesses if one worked it out carefully. With that thought in mind, Chris had finally formed a plan. He knew he would have to keep the cop busy and distract him because the one thing he didn't know for sure was how well Justin and the cop communicated with each other. He didn't want anyone looking for Justin until it was too late. 

Next he knew he needed to take a big risk and strike in a place that left him vulnerable to being caught. If he timed it just right he was certain this wouldn't be a problem. He couldn't use a bat, his favorite weapon, as it would be too obvious but there were plenty of other tools available that wouldn't stand out in a crowd. After careful consideration Chris chose the tire iron from his car. It would fit down his pants leg when tucked over his belt. A loose shirt would hide the bulge from the top of the iron. By Wednesday night Chris' plans were set in stone. He knew where he would get to Justin and what excuse he would use to keep the cop far from where Justin was at.

*************************************************************************

Chris had been too wound up on Wednesday night to sleep worth a damn. It was like his brain was on fire...he was too on edge to relax. He knew this was his one shot at getting Justin. If it didn't work, the bastard would know he was a target and Chris was certain he'd never get another chance. He had rehearsed what he would say the next day when he called the station house where he knew that Justin's boyfriend worked. He had practiced walking with the long tire iron hanging down the inside of his pants leg. He finally fell asleep, but it was a dreamless night. He had emptied his brain of all thoughts...and all humanity...in order to gain the rest he would need for what was to come. 

Wednesday night had been much different for Brian and Justin. It had become a custom to have dinner at the diner with the gang on that night so that Justin could have a mid-week break from his cooking duties. Mind you, Justin loved to cook for Brian and Brian loved eating everything Justin prepared but they enjoyed getting out and seeing their friends on a less hectic night than the weekends always presented. Besides which, the Wednesday night specials at the diner were actually quite good. Debbie was always on duty on Wednesday night too and the whole gang loved to tease her as well as be teased back by the always quick-witted and sharp-tongued redhead. She, in turn, loved seeing Justin who had become a personal favorite of hers. She loved how the young man had brought so much light into Brian's life. She had always known there had to be someone out there that would be the perfect match for her number one adopted 'son'....someone who would make him want to give up his lonely tomcatting ways.

After dinner and some playful bantering with their friends and Debbie, Brian and Justin took a walk along Liberty Avenue, stopping to look into the windows of colorful shops filled with things that would make any self-respecting gay man or woman's life more fun or enjoyable. There were clothing shops like the one that Emmett worked for. There were book stores that specialized in gay literature. There was even a sex shop filled with the kind of toys that Justin was beginning to appreciate, thanks to Brian's playful nights. They walked arm in arm, stopping occasionally to remark on something they saw. They came to a travel agency that specialized in gay-friendly destinations and stopped to admire some of the posters. When Justin sighed and wondered out loud if he would ever get the chance to see the world outside of Pittsburgh, Brian turned him around and hugged his lover. He kissed him and then promised that they would take a trip together someday. It warmed Justin's heart.

After awhile they walked back to the Jeep and drove home. That night the couple made passionate love together and then lay sated and exhausted in one another's arms as they talked about all the places they wanted to visit with each other. Justin's father had always been too busy with work to take his kids on vacations and Brian had been too busy trying to work his way up the ranks to take time off for a vacation. Besides, he had never really liked the idea of traveling alone and there had never been anyone around that he wanted to spend that much time with. They fell asleep Wednesday night imagining themselves in some exotic locale together, drinking up the sun and splashing in the surf before making wild passionate love in the sand. They both fell asleep with huge smiles on their faces.

****************************************************************************

Thursday morning was no different than any other morning had been for more than a month now. Brian and Justin woke up together, showered together, and ate a quick bite of breakfast together. Justin kissed Brian good-bye as he left to meet Carl at the station house and report in. Justin always liked to clean up the loft a bit before heading off for the Museum. He also went online to chat with Daphne and a couple of other friends and to check out some sites he enjoyed visiting. It was soon time for him to head for the Museum. He called a cab and gave the address. No one was following him today. The one who had been doing so for such a long time was well aware of where Justin was going and was already there waiting for him. 

Chris waited near the entrance to the Museum hidden behind a pillar until he saw Justin getting out of his cab with his artist's tote slung over his shoulder. He watched as Justin paid the cabbie and moved off to enter the distinguished old building. As soon as the blond was out of sight, Chris pulled out his cell phone and dialed the number he had gotten from information the day before. The phone was answered immediately. 

"Fifth Precinct. How may I direct your call?"

"I want to report something suspicious. It involves all those gay bashings that have been happening lately," Chris declared, forcing a worried tone to his voice.

"One moment Sir, I'll connect you to the Detectives in charge."

Chris waited nervously, praying he could disguise his voice enough to make it unrecognizable to the cops who had interviewed him more than once.

"Hello," came an unfamiliar female voice. "Can I help you? I'm told you have something to report that involves the recent gay bashings, is that correct?"

"Are you in charge of the cases?" Chris asked, relieved that he didn't have to fake his voice after all.

"No Sir. Those Detectives are out at the moment but I can contact them for you. If you will give me the information I'll pass it on to them right away."

Chris weighed whether to pass on his story to the woman or insist on speaking to the Detectives. He quickly decided that luck was on his side. This woman didn't know his voice at all. If he talked to either of the two lead Detectives on the case they just might recognize his voice. His decision was clear cut. 

"No, that's fine. This can't wait though so I hope you'll pass on what I'm about to tell you as soon as you can."

"Of course Sir, please continue."

Chris then launched into his rehearsed speech. He told the woman how he and some friends were hanging out at a local bar and he had gone to the men's room. While in there he had overheard several men coming in and beginning to discuss how they were ready to find a new queer to bash for the weekend. He had been in the last stall and they apparently didn't realize he was there. He had been afraid to come out for a while even after they left since they were bragging about how easy it was to get away with their crimes without the cops being able to figure out it was them. When he came out he saw over a dozen men in the bar and couldn't tell if any of them were the men he had overheard or not. He told her he would be happy to wait at the bar until the Detectives arrived and answer any questions they might have. He passed on that the bar was a favorite hangout for the neighborhood and almost everyone knew each other. That bit of news was sure to pique their interest.

The woman's tone of voice revealed her excitement. This was the first glimmer of hope in cracking a difficult case. She quickly got the phony name that Chris gave her and his brief description of himself, which of course was the opposite of how he really appeared. He then gave the address of a bar clear on the other side of town from the Museum that Chris and Justin were actually at. Chris had scouted the place out earlier and knew what a rough part of town the place was situated in. He was certain the cops would have difficulty in interviewing anyone inside that particular bar. By the time the cops had figured out they were on a wild goose chase, everything would be over for Justin. 

Chris closed the pre-paid cell he had bought just the day before from a shady street vendor and smiled to himself. Step one went better than expected. Chris hurried back to his vantage point where he could keep an eye on Justin. The guy was easy to find. Justin had unknowingly revealed his habits during the time he was being spied upon. Chris knew that it wouldn't be long before Justin would go to the one place that Chris could get him alone. He went there every time he spent any length of time at the Museum. All he had to do now was be patient. About an hour, give or take, and this would all be over.

To be continued.......................