- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Our story of the young man who was so tired of the abuses he suffered at home that he ran away one night and the seasoned cop who only cared about advancing in his career has come to an end. Their meeting was the end of one way of life and the beginning of another for both. Shall we leap forward in time and see what is happening two years into the future? Enjoy, and please forgive the extreme mush. What can I say? I confess, Officer. I'm a hopeless and incurable romantic. For one last time, let me thank my darling Granddaughter, Amy for the perfect banner and my dear friend, Judy for all her beta help and support with this story. I am very grateful to you both.

One more thing, I am dedicating this final chapter to someone very special to me. She is facing many issues right now and I want her to know that she has my love and support, and that I am so very happy my stories have given her some pleasurable moments. This ending is for you Lori, especially one scene (and she knows which one I mean. LOL)    

Chris Hobbs buried himself deeper into the thin cover on his bunk, trying to make his body so small that no one would notice him. He knew from bitter experience that it wouldn't help. If one of his three cellmates wanted something from him this particular night, they knew where and how to get it. Deep down Chris had prayed that Detective Kinney's fateful words to him the day he was captured were nothing more than an attempt to scare him. The things that man had hinted at were probably just based on Hollywood dramatics. Surely the guards didn't really allow such terrible things to happen to defenseless prisoners in real life. He had been miserably wrong. He hadn't been in prison more than a week when, in the middle of the night he discovered the truth of Kinney's warning. 

He had been relatively safe while staying at the County jail as he waited for his trial to run its course. He had a cell all to himself at that time. It was tiny, but all his. The only problem with it was that he often had to share the same section of cells with his former companions who had, to no one's surprise, turned on each other the moment they heard of Chris' arrest. Once the cops started rounding up every last one of them for intense questioning, each and every one of them, including his supposed best friend had rushed to be the first one to cut a deal for a lighter sentence. He was even forced to sit right across the hall from the cell his father was placed in for a few weeks. That had been particularly painful. 

Chris was sorry for his father, despite the fact the old man had never been satisfied with his son for most of his life. The love/hate relationship he had with him was just one more thing the young man had to deal with as he waited day after day, week after week, and month after month for his trial to be over. The cops, especially the lead Detectives, weren't satisfied with charging Chris with the assault of Justin and Billy. They went after him and his whole posse of co-conspirators for all the gay bashings they were responsible for during their last year of high school. Chris had done his best to make his old friends see that the cops really didn't have any physical evidence against them in order to prosecute for the stranger-bashings, but their cowardice got the best of them. 

Because no one had actually died during those bashings, many of the gang got away with sentences of ten years or less. Some would even be out in three or four years. Then they could go on with their lives. Chris hadn't been so lucky. His refusal to co-operate, along with the fact that he had struck out on his own in an obvious attempt to murder his two classmates and had declared his hatred for gays openly got him far more serious charges and a ruling that what he had done to Justin and Billy were hate crimes. He ended up with twenty-five year sentences for each count and another twenty for the attacks on the strangers. Chances were that he would be in prison for at least two to three decades before even being allowed a parole hearing. 

As the judge gravely handed down his sentencing order, Chris saw his life disappear in the blink of an eye. The world turned dark-gray all around him. As he turned to allow the handcuffs to be placed on his wrists for the first time as a convicted felon, he glanced over to the Prosecutor's side of the courtroom. It was filled with people, most of whom he recognized from his days of stalking Justin and his cop lover. His side only held a few folks such as his mother. Not one of his old school friends who had nothing to do with the bashings had shown up. Not even his Dad, who was out on appeal on his own conviction for aiding and abetting a fugitive, had bothered to show up. Chris searched the faces of those who had waited to hear his punishment. Sure enough, he found the one face he least wanted to see. Justin sat two rows back next to his boyfriend, the cop. He was stony-faced, revealing little of his actual feelings. Chris didn't have to guess what they were. The young man's blue eyes said it all. Contempt was as clear in his eyes as if he had spoken it out loud. 

That had been a year and a half ago. On this day, the Anniversary of the day his life had come to a screeching halt in the alley of two buildings in New York City, Chris thought of all the mistakes he had made in his twenty years of life. He shivered again under his blanket. He heard muffled sounds of movement from the bunk above his. Willie, a two-hundred-eighty pound murderer who had been in prison for eleven years already, with many more to go, had taken Chris under his wing that first week. No one could mess with Chris....unless they paid Willie for the privilege. Of course, there was a price to pay for that protection. Chris waited with bated breath. This might be another one of those nights he had to pay the price....another night in Hell.

*************************************************************

Brian checked his watch for the tenth time. He was almost vibrating with excitement. Tonight was the night. He was expecting Justin home from classes any minute. Today was the second Anniversary of the day Justin was finally set free to stop living in fear that Chris Hobbs would try and finish the job on him that he had started. Of course, Brian had something special in mind for a celebration. As he sat draped over the large modern sofa Justin's mom had given them for Christmas the previous year, Brian's thoughts wandered back to that fateful day. 

He and Carl had called home as soon as they made their report to their boss back in Pittsburgh. He could hear the anxiety in Justin's voice when he asked if Brian was alright. Brian found it impossible to hide his emotions from Justin, even long distance, and the brief moment of uncontrolled anger he had felt when Hobbs at fired his gun at him still left a gritty taste in Brian's mouth. He wanted to tell Justin that everything went smoothly and there were no problems in making the arrests of either man, but he knew that Justin would see right through him. He chose to be totally honest and gave Justin a blow-by-blow description of the entire scene, from the park bench to the alleyway. 

Justin had listened to Brian without comment, all the while picturing the events as if he was a witness to them. He could see the veins standing out on Brian's neck from the exertion of forcing himself not to lose control and kill the bastard right there on the spot. He had never personally been the victim of Brian's temper but he knew his lover had one when severely provoked. He had seen Brian's face when talking about his family. He was a man full of love for Justin, but hatred for injustice had a place inside him too. When Brian finished talking, Justin simply said, "I'm so proud of you, Brian." 

Justin didn't need to say anything else. Brian felt the weight of the world sliding off his shoulders. He knew he had done the right thing in that alley. Justin's validation was more than enough. The last thing they said to each other before hanging up was, "I love you" to one another. Several hours later, Brian, Carl, Hobbs, Sr., and Hobbs, Jr. were on a flight back to Pittsburgh. The flight was short, but the sun was already going down by the time they arrived. Two patrol cars were waiting when they touched down...one for each Hobbs. Carl rode with Sr. and Brian with Jr. Brian kept his eyes on the road. Just looking at the shackled guy in the back seat brought the pain he had caused back into focus for Brian and he wasn't going to give the jerk that satisfaction. Brian was finally free to go home once they got to the station and both Hobbs' were put in lock-up. Things would move more swiftly now so the Captain gave Carl and Brian the night off. He ordered them home so they could rest up for the hard work ahead to get the cases ready for the DA. Neither man needed to be told twice. Carl headed for Debbie's house and Brian headed home.

When Brian first walked in the door of his loft, he heard no sounds at all. The place was filled with shadows and seemed deserted, reminding him of the old days when he would come home to an empty apartment. His heart skipped a beat but before he could really start to worry, he heard the sound of running water and humming. That's when he noticed the sliver of light coming from under the bathroom door. He dropped the overnight bag he carried right to the floor and removed his gun and holster, placing them carefully on the side table by the door. He removed his coat and jacket and dropped them to the floor. He flicked off his shoes. By the time he had reached the short stairs leading up to his bedroom, he had unbuttoned and removed his shirt and undid his pants. As he reached his bed, he dropped his shirt onto it and stood there until he had removed his pants and underwear. He dropped them next to his shirt. 

Brian moved noiselessly towards the bathroom and opened the door just enough to confirm what he had suspected. He could see Justin's beautiful frame with his back turned through the shower glass wall. Steam was just beginning to rise and his lover's silken-gold hair was still dry. Brian couldn't have timed it better. He longed to wash away the grimy feel of being around Chris Hobbs as quickly as possible. Who better to do that with than his own Sunshine? Brian couldn't help grinning when he thought of that old 'South Pacific' song about 'washing that man right out of my hair'. Together, they would wash Chris Hobbs out of their lives for good.

Brian opened the shower door. The distinctive click could be heard easily, but Justin didn't turn around. He stood stock-still as the water gently fell down over his chest, shoulders, and back. He knew he had nothing to fear anymore. Brian couldn't see the huge smile that appeared on the blond's face, but he sensed it. He took the two steps needed to place himself directly behind Justin. His manhood was already rising to the occasion. Justin felt the familiar warmth and strength as Brian's cock poked between the back of his thighs and his smile took on a more lustful demeanor. Brian slowly wrapped his arms around Justin's smaller frame, his hands coming together over Justin's stomach. He pulled Justin back onto his own body. Justin melded against Brian in a perfect fit. His head fell backwards and rested against Brian's chest. He sighed deeply in a state of utter contentment. 

Brian's hands began to make slow deliberate circles over Justin's stomach, inching down over his hips and along his outer thighs. His hands then slid through the water back up to cup Justin's firm buttocks. Justin's hands dropped down to cover Brian's. He gently moved Brian's hands forward towards his center. Soon Brian could feel Justin's damp bush of pale pubes and the steel-hard shaft rising up to greet Brian's fingers. Brian began kissing, sucking, and nipping all along the back of Justin's neck as his fingers played with the treasure between Justin's legs. Soft mewling sounds of pleasure could be heard over the whoosh of the water. Justin began to feel pressure in the core of his being as Brian continued to play with him from behind. His backside unwittingly excited Brian as he rubbed his back and ass against Brian's body. 

Soon Brian couldn't stand the sensation of need that Justin aroused in him. Brian pushed Justin carefully forward so that he could get a grip on the shower wall and then bent the young man over by pressing on his back with one hand while the other kept a firm hold on Justin's aching cock. Brian rained kisses along Justin's naked back, water falling into the corners of his mouth. He grabbed a condom from the shower shelf with his free hand and ripped it open with his teeth. He let go of Justin just long enough to roll it down his shaft and then quickly positioned the sheathed rod between the crack of Justin's milky-white cheeks. 

Justin braced himself for the coming invasion. He welcomed it with cries for Brian to fill him up. Brian obliged, first reaching around to grab onto Justin's cock again. With a grunt of satisfaction, Brian entered Justin an inch at a time. Justin bounced backward so that he could force as much of Brian into him as possible. Once embedded in his home, Brian began making love to the sensitive spots inside that brought Justin so much pleasure. The two lovers rode out their most ardent desires, not hurrying but enjoying every moment of it. Only after they both reached their inevitable climaxes and sank to the floor of the shower stall together, did they finally speak. 

"Welcome home," Justin whispered, nestled in the circle of Brian's arms on the shower floor. 

"It's good to be home," Brian proclaimed.

The two men laughed. They continued to sit together with Justin between Brian's legs. They kissed repeatedly, savoring the exquisite taste of each other. They stayed like this until the water began cooling off. They finally gave up, turned off the water, and left the shower. They dried each other off. The lovers then climbed into bed and spent an hour talking about anything and everything, never mentioning Chris Hobbs. He was no longer a threat and they dismissed him from their minds. They nestled in each other's arms and then made love again. By the time they finally got up they were exhausted and ravenous. Justin served up the 'welcome home' dinner he had prepared for Brian and kept in the warmer while he was taking his shower. They sat across from each other in comfortable silence, looking up from their meal frequently to flash a smile or wicked grin. It was the first night of the rest of their lives.

The next two years flew by. The first half-year was taken up with the task of making sure that Chris Hobbs and his gang of thugs got their taste of justice. Brian and Carl continued to work cases together. Naturally Brian was outed on the job thanks to Chris, but he was surprised at how well he was treated in the aftermath. Outside of a few fellow officers who avoided him, most treated him no differently than before. Carl, who was well-respected by everyone on the force, made sure that they all knew how much he liked working with Brian. The two Detectives became the go-to guys for really difficult cases.

Justin spent his time with schooling at the 'Pittsburgh Institute of Fine Arts'. He rapidly became a favorite pupil of more than one instructor. He made Brian proud over and over again. They settled into a lifestyle that fit both their personalities. They partied with their friends and visited family on weekends or days off. Justin was a favorite visitor of Brian's son, Gus. They worked hard the rest of the time. Sometimes they simply locked their door and took the phone off the hook. Those were the most intimate times that they shared with no one else. 

They had their disagreements on occasion like all couples, but they always made it a point to talk things out rather than sit and stew about them. They had seen enough of that kind of behavior growing up in dysfunctional families. They had no intention of repeating the pattern in their own lives. 

Their devotion to each other helped them in surprising ways. Once a suspect in an assault case, who just happened to be gay and was aware that Officer Kinney was also gay, tried to accuse Brian of sexual harasssment while being questioned by him. A report was made but Justin tricked the guy into confessing that nothing had happened. He hooked up with him at a club one night and audio-taped him in the alleyway of the club. Justin convinced the guy that he had a grudge against Officer Kinney and was glad to see someone take him down a peg or two. The drunken idiot was so excited about the chance to get it on with the cute blond that he forgot to watch what he was saying as he bragged about lying to the cops. 

Another time Brian listened while Justin described a fellow student at the Institute who had developed a crush on him. The guy was from the music department and had put out a CD. He had been looking for an art student to create a drawing of himself for the cover of the CD and Justin was hired. He had come on to Justin not long after they began working together but Justin had rejected him. The guy started showing up everywhere Justin did and it began to creep him out. He hadn't mentioned it to Brian because he didn't want to come across as incapable of handling his own problems. Eventually Brian did find out and Justin opened up about his concerns. One quick meeting in a park where the guy was playing his violin for passersby was all it took for the jerk to get the message. He avoided Justin like the plague after that. 

For the most part life ran smoothly for the couple. Now it was the second Anniversary of the turning point in their relationship and Brian wanted to make it the most memorable night ever. He checked the time again. Justin should be walking in the door any second. He couldn't believe how he was feeling. He felt like the whole world hinged on what was coming next. Just as he was about to get up and make himself a drink to calm his nerves, he heard the key in the lock. The door slid back on its tracks and there stood his Justin.

Normally Justin got home before Brian, so it was a nice surprise to see Brian waiting for him. He laid the art satchel he always carried with him onto the floor next to the kitchen bar and hurried over to Brian. The two men embraced. Their lips sealed their greeting. It never got old for them. Justin could tell immediately that something was up with Brian. The two men were totally in tune with each other. After saying hello, Brian took Justin by the hand and led him over to the sofa he had just abandoned. He sat his lover down and joined him face to face. A quizzical look spread over Justin's face.

"What's up, Brian?" he asked.

"Sunshine, do you remember last month when I told you I was going to try and get some vacation time off in order to take you somewhere special to celebrate the Anniversary of Hobbs' arrest?"

Justin nodded his head.

"Well, I got it! Okay, confession time....actually I got it a couple of weeks ago but I wanted to wait and surprise you." Brian was beaming. "What would you say to us making our way to New York City for a few days and seeing what kind of mischief we can get into?"

Justin's face broke into a huge grin. He had wanted to get away with Brian for so long but they had been far too busy and really couldn't afford it anyway. He knew that Brian had just gotten a fat raise a couple of months earlier and he himself had just started to sell some of his artwork during showings at the school and at the Gay & Lesbian Center auctions. However, they had been saving that up in the hopes of buying a new place together someday where Gus would have a yard to play in on his visits. He hadn't bugged Brian about a real vacation for some time now. He was just happy to be with Brian anywhere at all. Now Brian was telling him they were actually going to get away together, just the two of them.

"I say, let's do it!" Justin exclaimed, planting a hot kiss on his lover's mouth.

Brian suddenly slid off the couch and went down on one knee in front of Justin. His voice turned serious as he gathered Justin's hands in his. 

"There is one other thing I would like to suggest," he announced in that same serious tone. "Would you be willing to go to New York City as my life-partner...on a honeymoon? If you say yes, I only have to make one call and we will have a commitment ceremony this very night. Our flight leaves right after midnight. Everything and everybody is just waiting to hear what your answer is."

Justin's mouth dropped open. He couldn't believe he was hearing things right. 

"Well Justin, are you going to keep me, not to mention all our friends and family waiting forever? I know that maybe I should have consulted you about my plans before setting things up, but frankly I really wanted to surprise you."

Justin gulped several times. Finally he could speak.

"Oh, trust me Brian, you surprised me."

"Well?"

"Oh yes, sorry....of course I'll marry you, or whatever the State of Pennsylvania wants to call it. I've been in love with you for as long as I've known you. So make your call. I want the whole world to know that I am Officer Brian Kinney's man and will be so for as long as you want me."

"For the rest of your life," Brian declared, pulling Justin into his arms and raining kisses all over him.

That night, Brian made the call. Within an hour all their friends and family (except for Craig Taylor and Brian's blood relatives) were gathered at the small dinner club Brian had rented for the night. The tables were pushed back and seats lined up for the guests. A female minister from a gay-friendly church stood in front of Brian and Justin who had changed into their best outfits. The couple made their impromptu, but heartfelt promises to each other and sealed it with a kiss. Rainbow-colored confetti rained down on the assemblage as the couple thanked everyone for showing up. While the guests enjoyed the champagne and food that Brian had ordered, the two men slipped away in a waiting taxi. They were on their way to the honeymoon that Brian had once thought was strictly for hetero couples and not something he would ever want. 

As the cabbie drove through the darkened streets that led to the airport and the plane that would take them to their first stop on the journey of their lives as a married couple, Brian and Justin sat together closely and got lost in the memories of their past together as they looked forward to their futures. They were so grateful that Brian was patrolling the streets on that fateful night they met. It was on that night that a young boy on the verge of manhood who wanted to run away from his troubles was brought together with an older man who had given up on wanting more out of life than a great career in his chosen field. Neither one had a clue that they were actually searching for something, but somehow they had found it anyway. They found it in each other and now it belonged to them for the rest of their lives.

The End

The End.
mandagrammy is the author of 93 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked Officer Kinney and the Runaway also liked 672 other stories.