- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

At last, it has come.  The war of slave versus Roman masters for the call of freedom has reached its final deciding battle, led by two brilliant tacticians... both determined to be the victor. Rebels will be divided into two groups... those attempting to escape to the Alps so that they can cross to true freedom, and those staying behind to meet the superior forces of Crassus and his legions. Naturally, Agron wants more than anything to follow Spartacus into battle, but will he be able to after being severely injured when nailed to the cross? And which direction will his lover Nasir take? What of Brion and Justinus... will they choose the road to freedom or feel compelled to join Spartacus too? Choices are made, and fates are seale    

The scheme that Spartacus had conjured up to confuse their enemy, Pompey to the North and Crassus to the South, had borne fruit.  By striking villages all over the map with his separate bands of raiders, all declaring themselves to be led by Spartacus himself, Pompey found himself chasing his own tail.  Unfortunately, within days of hearing such conflicting news from forward scouts about the raids, Crassus had discerned what Spartacus was up to.  It was a plan he would have used himself.  Crassus's only problem was that his own scouts still had not narrowed down where the main body of rebels were camped.  His frustration grew as time passed.  Neither he nor Caesar wished to share the victory of defeating the rebels with their arch-rival, Pompey.  It was imperative that his men engage Spartacus first.

 

As for Spartacus, he rejoiced in the extra time his deception was offering his people to gird themselves for what he knew would be a deciding battle.  For him, his own safety was not the number one concern.  It was to have the chance to divert the Romans from his one true goal, which was in seeing that there was enough time for as many of their people to reach, and cross, the Alps before scattering far from Roman grasp.  They had already improved their chances with the extra time the maneuvers had allotted them.  Those who were unable to fight, due to age, lack of skill, or infirmity, had feverishly prepared for their last push towards the Alps.  Ex-captives, such as Agron, used the time to heal and return to fighting form.  Agron's health returned by leaps and bounds daily, thanks to Nasir's tender loving care.  He had even healed enough to return to some of the vigor of their lovemaking at end of day, although his hands still gave him trouble.  The worst part was his inability to totally feel Nasir's body with his hands, as he once had.  He tried to be grateful that he could still feel his beloved with every other part of himself, but he couldn't stop his frustration at the slowness of his progress towards full strength again.

 

Spartacus stood beside Gannicus as they watched progress being made towards their most ambitious plan.  Earlier they had deliberately allowed Roman scouts to find them at last, knowing that Crassus would quickly bring his troops to the place that Spartacus had chosen beforehand for their final stand.  With the coming of the darkening night, the others would begin their march to the mountains, while Spartacus and his warriors forged ahead in the opposite direction to face Crassus.  Once the two leaders returned to the main tent, they discussed the coming battle.  They were overheard by Agron, who had come to the tent eager to learn the details of coming plans.  Agron understood why Spartacus had not included him in many of their strategy sessions while he was still so weak, but he had worked hard to regain his former strength and was convinced he was ready to rejoin Gannicus at the side of Spartacus.  As the two men spoke, Agron let his presence be known.

 

"I would lend much needed aid in giving Crassus fucking pause," he announced to his compatriots.

 

The two men saw the look in Agron's eyes.  He was silently pleading with Spartacus to accept his offer.  Spartacus knew he had to give his former right-hand man a chance, even though Nasir had confided in him earlier, upon questioning, that the healing process was slow for Agron's hands.  Spartacus pulled his own sword from its scabbard and turned the handle facing Agron.

 

"Grip sword, and have it so," Spartacus promised.

 

A flash of fear appeared in Agron's eyes, but he nodded his head and reached for the weapon.  His sword hand wrapped as tightly as it could around the hilt.  Spartacus let go of the blade.  Agron struggled mightily to  hold his grip, but in three seconds the sword slipped from his grasp and fell to the ground.  His breath left him and his head bowed.

 

"They have taken all from me," he whispered in obvious agony.

 

Spartacus's heart wept for his friend, but he could not allow Agron to wallow in self-pity.  His hand clasped Agron's arm.

 

"You will yet serve purpose in coming battle by seeing those who cannot fight, to the mountains.  Return to task with Nasir, and prepare for journey."

 

Spartacus did not speak these words as someone offering balm to a wounded man, but as a Commander giving orders.  He knew the tone of his voice would give some measure of pride to a man broken in spirit.  Agron responded as in better days, by nodding acceptance of the order and leaving with his head held high.  Gannicus, however, noticed that once Agron left the tent, his head again dropped down.

 

"The man is more dead than living, yet eager to give life to your cause," remarked Gannicus.

 

He could not know how accurate he was.  Although Agron was joyful at being back in Nasir's arms, he felt less and less a man as the days and weeks passed and he began to realize the hopelessness of regaining the strength in his hands in time for the final battle with Crassus.  Brion had tried sparring with him several times while Nasir and Justinus were off together taking care of their tasks, but Agron was never able to hold his own with Brion any longer.  Agron confided his feelings of inadequacy to Brion, but could not bring himself to complain to Nasir.  He knew that seeing pity in Nasir's eyes would destroy him utterly.  He slowly shuffled his way back to his tent.  He was in no hurry to get there.  He knew that Nasir was waiting to hear what Spartacus had to say about him joining the others in the upcoming battle.  Nasir had not said that he would join the fighter since he had already been told that he was needed as a guard to escort those making their way to the Alps.  It was what Agron wanted for Nasir too.  Everyone knew that this upcoming battle would probably be their last, and that it was more a diversion to give the others time to escape than a skirmish to end the war in their favor.  More than anything, Agron wanted Nasir to live, but he also didn't want to be parted from him again.  Now his divided desires was a moot point.  Whether it made him feel less a man or not, it appeared he would be accompanying Nasir to the mountains. 

 

What Agron did not know, as he made his way with heavy heart towards his tent, was that Nasir had spoken with Brion and Justinus on more than one occasion of his concern for Agron, if he was not healed enough to fight in the final battle with Crassus.  Nasir had become a skilled warrior, more to impress Agron and Spartacus, and to stay alive, than for any love of fighting.  Agron was a born soldier, which accounted for his ease in learning the ways of a gladiator.  Nasir was most definitely not, but he understood Agron's heart as if it was his own.  He wanted very much to help Agron in dealing with his infirmity, but no miracles came to mind.  But one evening, during a conversation with Brion and Justinus, an idea came to him.  Brion was describing one of the warriors from his Celtic tribe that he had admired in his youth.  The man had a hand cut off at the wrist by an enemy during a raid.  His father was the tribe's armorer, and made it his goal to provide a means for his son to continue to protect himself if needed.  The young man still had his sword hand, but could no longer hold a shield.  His father developed a shield that could be firmly laced all the way up his son's arm without slipping off.  Brion described how it took only a short time for the warrior to become proficient in the use of the shield, along with his sword.

 

Nasir spent the next few days discussing with Justinus his thoughts on something similar for Agron to use... something that would not require a steady grip on his sword, but would also protect him with a shield.  Justinus, who had always loved the art of drawing, sketched out some of Nasir's ideas, until the two of them finally came up with a picture of something that Nasir was certain was the answer to their problem.  He took Justinus's drawing to one of the men who had the task of forging and repairing weapons for the rebels.  The old man had never seen anything like it, and was not that certain the idea held merit, but he respected Nasir and was more than willing to give the plan a try.  He brought the completed makeshift weapon to Nasir shortly after Agron left to speak with Spartacus.  Now Nasir only needed to wait on Agron's return.  He didn't have to wait long.  The moment Agron entered the tent, Nasir knew that the answer to Agron's request to join the fighting rebels had been unfavorable.  He smiled inwardly, but gave no indication what he was thinking.

 

"You appear as one forced to drink poison, then left to make your way home while yet still breathing," Nasir noticed.

 

Agron made his way to the table where a jug of wine stood next to their cups.  He poured a generous amount and drank it all in one gulp.

 

"Poison would be quicker than what the Romans have done to me.  They have taken all from me," he repeated, from what he had said to Spartacus earlier.  "All but my heart," he added hastily as he gathered Nasir into his arms.

 

Nasir kissed Agron passionately and then pulled out of his lover's arms.  He went over to the corner where he had hidden the new weapon, and pulled it out from under the blanket that covered it.  He brought it over to Agron and handed it to him, almost ceremoniously.  Agron stared at the object in wonderment.  It looked like a fusion of sword and shield, with the blade protruding on the outside from a gash in the shield so that much of its length was now deadly weapon when swung at an enemy.  The inside of the shield no longer had a simple grip, but rather a number of belts welded on so that Agron's hand and arm could be lashed to the grip in a way that would make it almost impossible to be torn from his grasp.  His eyes fell on Nasir in awe.

 

"You crafted this?"

 

Nasir smiled and turned the shield so that he could demonstrate how it was to be used.

 

"We will lash hand to grip so it is not torn from grasp if called upon to split Roman flesh."

 

Agron walked a few steps away, admiring the thing of beauty.  His eyes seemed brighter already.  He turned back to Nasir, but his smile quickly changed to a very serious look.

 

"I cannot flee to the mountains with the others," he sighed, almost apologetically.  "Despite command, my place is upon field of battle." 

 

His voice grew stronger, and he seemed to grow taller with each word.

 

Nasir knew it was coming, even before he had the weapon made.  His heart was filled with fear for them both, but he knew what Agron needed to hear.

 

"As mine is forever by your side," Nasir declared.

 

The lovers looked into each other's eyes and saw love that knew no boundaries staring back at them, along with the fear of what was to come.  They fell into each other's arms.  Agron kissed Nasir with all the deep emotion that any man could ever feel for his life's companion.  He did not know why the gods would reward him with such a man walking into his life, but he would be eternally grateful.  Knowing that Spartacus would shortly call everyone to a final meeting before each group went their separate ways, they felt an overwhelming need to express their love physically for what might be a final time. 

 

Nasir closed the tent flap and walked over to Agron, removing his cloak and subligaria as he did.  He helped Agron in removing his garments and the two embraced tightly before lowering themselves to their bedding, which had not yet been bundled up in preparation for the move.  Their kisses started slowly, as they lay hands along cheeks, softly rubbing rough stubble grown there since morning.  Agron could not feel Nasir's skin as perfectly as he once did, but memory served him well as he explored places he knew better than his own body.  Nasir brought his lover as much pleasure with his explorations as Agron was giving to him with each gentle stroke.  Soon the gentleness increased in its intensity as kisses began to deepen and tongues explored mouths.  Groins began grinding together with more fervor as they lay facing each other on their sides. 

 

Soon enough, Nasir began moaning with need.  His body ached to be possessed... to be carried away to that magic place in his mind and body that only Agron could reach.  Agron felt an even stronger need to become one with Nasir in a way that always made him feel complete, like a man who had found his other half... his best half.  Agron's cock was certainly ready.  All he needed to do was rub some of the oil they used against Nasir's opening and himself, so as to make his invasion as comfortable as possible.  They had become quite skilled at knowing what was needed, and Agron set to work in preparing them both.  When he had completed his task, Agron rolled onto his back and waited for Nasir to mount him.  He loved looking up at Nasir as his lover rode his cock until he was panting from the effort.  Nasir's eyes always darkened as his orgasm approached, signaling Agron to meet his lover's downward movements with even stronger upward thrusts.  The couple did not want to hurry things along this time.  Each time one or the other felt their scrotum tightening, they eased off, resting for a moment until the feeling subsided and then starting the ride all over again.  Those brief interludes were punctuated with passionate kisses, until they finally reached a point of no return.  Agron spilled his seed only minutes before Nasir gained his well-earned release too.  Nasir continued to lie upon Agron's body, even as Agron's manhood slipped from its safe harbor.  They would rise and clean themselves before re-dressing, but for this brief moment in time, they simply wanted to stay connected, safe from the fears of the cruel world that waited for them in the gathering dusk outside their tent.

 

*********************************************************

 

Only a short distance from where Agron and Nasir made love, knowing it could be their last time in such an intimate connection, another couple shared the same thoughts and fears that drove the lovers.  Brion and Justinus had offered their services as fighters for Spartacus as soon as word was spread of their leader's plans to divide the people, sending half into battle and half towards a chance of true freedom beyond the Alps.  Spartacus was well aware that Brion had developed the necessary skills to be an asset to his fighting forces, but he was not as confident that Justinus was as well trained, even though he had the heart for it.  Spartacus was also aware of the couple's history and Justinus's true identity, when they themselves came to him with their story.  It mattered little to Spartacus.  He knew that the measure of a man was not tied to his lineage.  At first he leaned more to the notion of sending the couple as protective guards for those moving towards the Alps.  It was not quite as dangerous as an actual engagement with the army of Crassus, but it was not a casual stroll through the meadows either.  There was the ever present concern that Pompey's troops would discover their people before they made it to the safety of the mountain, and good fighting men were needed to stand up to Pompey's army.  Spartacus had already assigned that task to some of his best people, including Nasir, knowing that he would probably have to do the same to Agron.  Knowing that Brion and Justinus shared a very close friendship with Agron and Nasir, he had decided to send them with the protection detail too.

 

Spartacus changed his mind when Brion explained why they felt it was important that they be allowed to follow him into battle.  After telling Spartacus their story and revealing their secret, Brion went on to explain how keeping the secret had affected Agron's decision to leave Spartacus's side during the split from Crixus.  Spartacus remembered being surprised by Agron's decision when it happened, but he would not have ever thought to question his trusted friend.  The most important credo that Spartacus lived by was that every man and woman had the right to make their own choices, and if Agron thought Crixus was making the better choice, then Spartacus would not try and stop him.  Now he understood why the choice was made, and also understood why it was so important to Brion and Justinus that they follow him.  Brion told him how they felt guilt over what had happened to Agron because their secret had destroyed his chances of being chosen to fight in the final battle with Crassus.  They knew that Nasir would never leave Agron's side, so the two of them felt it was imperative that they take their friend's places in the defining battle.

 

They knew that Nasir was trying to develop a means to protect Agron while giving him back his weapon for use, but they were still not sure if their friend would be able to fight.  After Spartacus agreed to let them join him, rather than heading for the Alps, the couple discussed whether they should remain with the contingent following Spartacus even if Agron and Nasir were able to do the same.  It did not take long for them to decide that they would indeed go with Spartacus, whether Agron and Nasir were with them or not.  It was not that they welcomed the idea of going to war with Crassus one last time.  It was far more about their desire to repay Spartacus and the rebellion for what it had provided them.  They owed the rebellion their lives.  It was as simple as that.  If the rebels had not taken over Sinuessa, there was no question that Craigh and Cassius would have seen them dead rather than live another day together.  Not only were their lives spared by the rebels, but they were also given the right to live openly as the loving couple they had become, despite the restrictions forced on them by Roman rules.  The very least they could do now was repay the gift of their lives and freedom by standing beside the other warriors and giving their best towards victory.

 

Brion offered a cup of wine to Justinus, smiling warmly at the beautiful young Roman lad who had captured his heart with his warmth and intelligence.  Justinus smiled back, although he could not hide the tiny trace of fear that crept behind his bright-blue gaze.

 

"You fear coming storm.  Your eyes betray you.  There is time left to divert path you take.  No fault would be laid upon you.  All know... even  Spartacus, that your weapons skills do not match the strength of your heart for combat."

 

"And you, Brion?  You wield sword with a skill nearly matching that of Agron.  Would you turn from battle to follow me towards the mountains?"

 

Justinus already knew the answer to his question.  Brion felt an obligation to lend his sword to the fight.  If he was led away from it to protect his lover, he would live with regret in later years.  Justinus was indeed frightened.  He knew he would give his all in battle, but that it might not be enough to keep him safe.  Yet the thought of being separated from Brion, even if it meant saving his life, was too much to bear.  So, despite his fears, he knew what he must say after hearing Brion's response, which did not come as a surprise.

 

"I cannot turn away from their need of my hand wielding the sword against our enemies... not even to remain at your side, though that be the place I wish to stand."

 

Justinus placed his finger against Brion's lips, to silence him from saying more.  He brought his lips to Brion's and kissed him tenderly.

 

"Agron's fate taught lesson well learned.  Separation is more painful than any fears realized in battle.  We stand together in all things.  If the Fates choose to strike us down, we enter the afterlife together... as I would have it so.  And if this be our last night together, we must make it one even the gods envy."

 

Brion grinned. 

 

"Remove clothing, and see it done," he laughed.

 

Brion did not need to make his request a second time.  Justinus was quick to shed his garments, as was Brion.  They stood facing each other, admiring the sheer beauty of their respective forms.  Brion had come to love every satiny inch of Justinus's fair skin, as well as the pale golden hair that graced him from his scalp to the tight, yet soft curls of pubic hair between his thighs.  He admired the generous cock Justinus possessed, that always brought him such joy even when only feeling it close to his own skin.  Most of all, he loved Justinus's face and the clear-blue eyes that revealed the depths of the young man's loving soul.  Justinus surveyed Brion with the same kind of feelings welling up inside him as his lover was experiencing.  Every inch of Brion reminded Justinus of the statues of his Roman gods he had seen throughout the city of Rome , particularly the one of Apollo.  Brion was like the Sun to Justinus.  His warmth had brought him out of the darkness he had felt for the last few years under his father's thumb.  His loving had filled Justinus with life, the way the Sun did for all plants and creatures.  But soon, they had their fill of gazing.  It was time to come together and seal their thoughts with deeds.  The couple knew exactly what to do for each other to bring them to the top of Mount Olympus, so the gods could weep at not having a love like theirs.  And that was exactly what they did.  Every touch... every kiss... every moan brought them closer to that moment of ecstasy that all long for, until they reached it at last.  They lay beside each other when it was over and rested their hearts, which were full to bursting with the feelings they could barely contain.  No matter what happened next, they had this moment, and all the others like it from the past, to carry with them... whether it be to another land, or to the afterlife.  They were ready.  All they needed now was the call to arms.

 

*********************************************************

 

It was a huge task, preparing for what was coming.  Many of those who had turned towards the Alps paused to first offer their gratitude for their deliverance to the one man they would always think of as their leader... Spartacus.  He accepted their thanks humbly, knowing his beloved wife would have approved of the path he had traveled.  Those that followed him towards their fateful meeting with Crassus and his army, also expressed their gratitude, but it was to Agron that Spartacus offered his deepest appreciation.  He was in awe of how dedicated the man was to their cause, and the devotion Nasir showed by creating a clever way for Agron to be able to join the others in battle.  Once they saw the freedom-bound rebels safely away, the entire remaining rebels moved out.  Spartacus had chosen the ground he wished to fight on carefully, and had already prepared a surprise for the enemy. 

 

As soon as they reached their destination, overlooking the upcoming battlefield, they stopped and waited for the enemy to appear, which did not take long.  It was clear that Crassus had far more men than Spartacus, but this did deter any rebel present, as they scanned the gathering forces approaching them.  To a man and woman, they were resolute in their determination to see this war to its end.  As they watched, they saw one lone rider galloping quickly towards them, heading straight for the center of the line of warriors.  Spartacus called for a spear and threw it towards the front of the oncoming horse as a warning to go no further.  The rider reined in his mount and shouted his message.  Crassus requested a meeting on neutral grounds before the conflict was to begin with the rising Sun.  He agreed to only bring a small contingent of guards, as would Spartacus, knowing that his rival was a man of honor. 

 

The meeting happened upon a nearby hill, overlooking the two separate armies of combatants.  After the two leaders agreed to talk one-on-one and dismissed their reluctant guards, Crassus cast his eye over the multitude of souls below him and then offered Spartacus the opportunity to end the war with surrender, being assured he could not succeed in winning.  Spartacus calmly informed him that if they failed, at least it was a choice they had made for themselves, not one forced upon them by a master's lash.  There was no more to be said... only the promise that they would each attempt to end the life of the other, once given the opportunity. 

 

The early dawn saw the two forces once again facing each other across an expanse of land.  This time Crassus had brought up frightful weapons to the forefront... huge ballistaes, used to launch fiery missiles directly into the heart of the rebels with a first strike, and catapults, used to launch spears.  As the projectiles filled the sky, Spartacus gave the command to advance, a call eagerly responded to.  Agron, Nasir, Brion, and Justinus were at the head of the pack of shouting warriors as they all rushed forward en masse.  With the swift rush forward, only a small number of rebels in the back of the pack were cut down.  The rest continued running towards the enemy.  Crassus called for his legions to advance, which they did in true Roman fashion, without haste or breaking ranks.  Surprisingly, on the rebel side of the battlefield, Spartacus suddenly called a halt to his forces.  They came to an instant standstill and waited.  

 

Caesar sat upon his horse and knew something was amiss, but it was too late for warnings.  As the Roman soldiers came closer and closer to the rebels, picking up speed as they did so, Spartacus continued to order his people to hold their positions.  Feeling they had the advantage, the Romans began rushing towards the rebels, who seemed to be waiting patiently to be destroyed.  They guessed wrong.  Suddenly the front line of soldiers felt the earth give way under their feet, and they plunged forward into a deep trench filled with spikes.  The lines behind them were at first unaware of what was happening, and also fell to their deaths upon the sharpened spikes.  Many more in the next few lines were cut down when Spartacus gave orders for his archers to unleash their arrows.  Watching from a distance, Caesar could not help being in awe of Spartacus's resourcefulness, but Crassus had more direct thoughts.   He ordered a call to be given for the testudo formation, in which the Roman soldiers covered their heads, front flanks, and back flanks in a tight form like a tortoise shell.  The call went out and the well-trained army fell to command immediately, sparing many of their lives from the hail of arrows.

 

Spartacus was not through, however.  He had once fought beside the Roman legions and knew their tactics.  He had predicted this maneuver and had one of his own.  He gave his next command, and another hidden surprise under the dirt was revealed.  Long planks had been buried, and were now brought out and dropped onto the shields on the other side of the pit, crushing the soldiers directly underneath.  With a frightening battle cry, the rebels rushed across the planks and began cutting down as many soldiers as they could.  Though they were far outnumbered, the rebels were holding their own, slowly gaining ground over the enemy.  Atop his horse, Crassus began to fume.  In anger, he ordered his men to unleash more projectiles of fire and spears into the middle of the conflict, hoping to end the war quickly, despite Caesar's misgivings over the destruction such a move would also rain down on their own men.  His desire to defeat Spartacus overcame any humanity he might have felt for his own troops.

 

Crassus's order was accomplishing his goal.  Although many of his own men were cut down by fire and spear, so were a large number of the rebels.  It included some of their best warriors, but the four devoted friends stayed close together and managed to dodge the deadly missiles, as well as the deadly blades of the soldiers.  Spartacus ordered his people to continue their advance, despite their losses.  He knew he had but one trick left up his sleeve.  He had sent Gannicus and a contingent of their forces secretly behind the enemy lines.  Just as Crassus began to believe that his superior forces were winning the day, the sound of horses could be heard riding up behind them.  The men in charge of the ballistaes and catapults turned and were greeted by the sight of hundreds of rebels on horseback charging towards them.  Turning away from the battle in front of them, they were forced to engage the enemy on a second front. 

 

Gannicus gave the command to turn the ballistaes onto the Roman legions that had stayed behind with Crassus.  Without warning, Crassus and Caesar found themselves now the target of the projectiles.  Crassus ordered Caesar to take his men and attack the rebels behind them.  When one of his Generals suggested it was time to retreat, Crassus refused, knowing that it was exactly the reason that Spartacus had chosen this strategy.  He ordered another legion to advance towards the rebels in the front.  All Hell broke loose, as wave after wave of Romans descended onto the rebels from both sides of the battlefield.  Even as many of their companions were cut down, somehow Agron, Nasir, Brion, and Justinus managed to survive.  Twice Justinus let his guard down just enough to be cut, but each time it was only superficial.  The four men closed ranks in a circle and fended off all Romans who tried to bring them down. 

 

Spartacus saw what was happening.  Far more of his people were lying dead than the enemy by now.  Their one hope would be to cut off the head of the snake.  Even as he knew what he must do, he saw Crassus riding straight towards him through the fray.  Crassus spotted Spartacus at the same instant and shouted his name.  Digging his heels into the flanks of his horse, Crassus charged towards Spartacus, who rushed to meet the man.  With perfect timing, Spartacus bounded onto fallen bodies for leverage and swung his sword at the man galloping towards him.  His aim dislodged Crassus, despite the fact the blow was deflected by Crassus's armor.  Crassus was stunned... something that brought his Generals to his aid immediately.  Spartacus was held back just long enough for Crassus to be scooped up and rushed to the safety of a nearby hill.  Ordering Agron to hold the line as best he could, Spartacus broke free in order to follow Crassus.  He had a single goal... to kill the one man who could keep the Roman soldiers fighting on to the bitter end.

 

Crassus was surrounded by many of his men, determined to protect him at all costs.  Spartacus's determination to accomplish his goal was far stronger, and once he crested the hill they fell to his fury one by one until none stood between he and Crassus.  In the meantime, rebel bodies began cluttering the field by the hundreds.  As Crassus and Spartacus faced each other down, even the best of the rebel warriors began falling to the sword or became too injured to fight any longer.  Gannicus, Naevia, Lugo, Saxa, and so many others were defeated.  Agron, Nasir, Brion, and Justinus received small wounds, but managed to avoid a death blow.  It was as if the gods had encased them in a protective shield, or the fact that they protected each other whenever possible, that they were able to fight on. 

 

Eventually it became apparent that the war was all but lost for the rebels.  Agron shouted to the others that they must find Spartacus.  If he had managed to defeat Crassus in a face-to-face fight, it might be enough to demoralize the soldiers and cause them to turn tail and retreat.  The four men grabbed the reins of nearby horses and galloped quickly towards the hill they had witnessed Spartacus running towards.  They had to fight their way through a throng of Roman defenders, but finally broke free.  As they crested the hill, they saw a trio of soldiers standing behind Spartacus, who was now on his knees facing a bloodied Crassus.  Crassus held his sword high above his head with full intentions of bringing it down into Spartacus's chest, which was already skewered by two spears from back to front... obviously the very thing that had brought him down.  While Nasir, Brion, and Justinus leapt from their horses to challenge the soldiers, Agron rode straight for Crassus, knocking the Imperator away from Spartacus and down the side of the steep hill.

 

Agron would have gladly followed Crassus down the hill and finished him off if he hadn't heard Nasir shouting his name.  Nasir had rushed to Spartacus's side and saw the devastating injuries to his leader.  There was no time for them to do anything but run from what was happening below if there was to be any chance of keeping Spartacus out of the hands of the Romans.  Reluctantly, Agron agreed despite his desire to keep fighting.  Spartacus still breathed, and that was enough incentive to leave the battlefield, now choked with the dead and dying bodies of rebels and Romans alike.  Brion quickly used his sword to sever the two spears apart that had struck Spartacus and withdrew them as carefully as he could, staunching the flow of blood as much as possible.  They sat him in the saddle of Agron's horse and waited for Agron to mount behind him, and then galloped away as fast as their horses would take them.  By the time Caesar and his men found Crassus at the bottom of the hill, the dazed and wounded man had regained his footing and his senses.  He ordered them to retake the hill, expecting to find a dying or dead Spartacus still there.  He was mistaken.  Agron and the others were as far from the hill as they could be, without looking back once.  They knew what they would see if they did.  The war was over, and the rebels had lost their final battle. 

 

 

To be continued.......