- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Brion has been ordered to prepare an invitation to his Master's dinner party (being that he is so skilled at advertising an event worth coming to), and Justinus's father insists his son attend the gathering with him.  Hmm, could this mean there will be a meeting between two like-minded men coming up?  As for Agron and Nasir, we move forward in time since first we met them so both couples are in the same time period.  Agron and Nasir are now what they were meant to be since day one... deeply devoted and passionate lovers.  So enjoy as we check on them too.

A little clue, which Spartacus lovers should recognize, as to how at least one of our Britin couple will meet up with Nagron, and where it will happen, is provided for you.  Can you find it?

Many thanks to Judy for her diligent beta work.

 

Nearly a month had passed since the dinner party Lucius Cassius hosted for the wealthy businessman and Senator, Marcus Crassus.  The good mood the Dominus of the house enjoyed during the party was slowly eroding as each day passed since then.   He had been especially pleased just to have the great man himself accepting his invitation, brokered by several of Cassius's closest friends in the Senate.  There had been purpose for the invitation that had nothing to do with a simple evening of good company and fine food.  A few Senators, as well as many other wealthy citizens of Rome, wanted to test the waters with Crassus.  It was all rooted in their growing fear of the slave revolt throughout the provinces of Rome.  

 

What had started as a minor rebellion by an individual group of gladiators from one particular ludus, the house of Batiatus, had grown into just over a year of full-scale war with thousands upon thousands of escaped slaves supporting it.  In the beginning, only mercenaries and village militia were sent out to rout the rebels.  When that hadn't brought the results needed to end their reign of terror on Roman villas and small villages, the Senate finally sent out a Praetor from Rome named Glaber.  He marched from Rome with trained soldiers to the town where it all began,Capua, where he picked up even more men.  He was now the head of three thousand in total, trained to fight battles rather than being simple volunteers and paid mercenaries with no real loyalties outside of coin.  Hope had been high that Glaber would end this scourge, but they were soon dashed.  Glaber eventually fell to the smaller force of rebel warriors, which only encouraged even more escapes from bondage of thousands more slaves.  What had started out as a force of less than a hundred gladiators had become an army of thirty thousand men and women, many of whom were fierce in battle even if not fully trained.

 

The death of Glaber and his forces by an inferior number of warriors, did accomplish one important thing within the walls of Rome.  Their leaders had treated the uprising as nothing more than a pesky thorn in their side...unworthy of the full might of Roman legions.  Suddenly that was no longer the case.  The Senate was now willing to fund and dispatch two of their Consul Generals, Cosinnius and Furius, along with two legions of soldiers each, to take on the growing threat.  However, despite their added numbers and superior skills, the Romans still found themselves losing battle after battle to the rebels.  Now the Senate found themselves with another distressing problem...a lack of coin to fund further advances against Spartacus and his people.  This was the very reason that more Senators and men of importance within Rome were now courting favor with Crassus.  He was known as the wealthiest man in the Country.  He was not only wealthy, but also known to be ambitious.  Now it appeared the time had come to talk seriously with the man about asking for financial support.

 

Part of the reason for Cassius's growing unrest was that Crassus had not given any encouragement to the subtle pleas for help so far.  In the weeks since attending Cassius's party, the man had not seen fit to respond to a single one of the subsequent invitations, or those of any of their peers.  No one knew what the great man was thinking or planning.  Recent news of the rebellion had been far from reassuring.  Cassius found it more and more difficult to rest at night.  Even his body slave, Brion, had been unable to relieve him of the stress he felt through means of a good fucking or body massage.  To add insult to injury, some of his property outside of Rome had been attacked by the rebels.  This caused a shortage in the businessman's income from the vineyards and farmlands.  Only his financial interests in a partnership with Ennuis, Aedile and merchant businessman from the coastal city of Sinuessa, could still be relied on for income.  The city was well protected and out of reach to the rebels.

 

When the Dominus was so upset, everyone in the household suffered.  The Domina of the house had just left the Roman villa for their vacation home on the Isle of Capri.  Theory held that the rebels could never invade the island, thus making it the safest place close to Rome to be during these perilous times.  Cassius was not sorry to see her go, having little love for his wife, but in truth his desire was to escape the city too.  It was not a possibility, however, at this time.  Since he was unable to get away, Cassius decided to begin cultivating more wealthy allies to their cause.  If Crassus refused to help raise an even larger and better equipped army to fight the rebels, then maybe the Senators and patricians could persuade several of the wealthy citizens to band together to do what only a single man as rich as Crassus could do on his own. 

 

It was for that reason that Brion, Cassius's personal body slave and liaison for all the lower ranking house slaves, was called to the Dominus's private rooms the day after the Domina departed.  He entered the room with some trepidation.  This crazy Spartacus and his followers were causing all sorts of anxiety-ridden changes throughout Rome.  What affected Roman citizens, almost always affected their hapless slaves as well.  It was hard enough to deal with his Dominus, and the man's frequent mood swings, without this added pressure.  As top ranked among the slaves, Brion also had to deal with keeping the household running smoothly.  Brion had caught the slaves whispering about the rebellion more than once.  Not knowing just how loyal Brion was to their master, they usually shut their mouths quickly whenever he came near.  Far too many times it wasn't fast enough. 

 

Brion had no intention of informing on his peers.  He was far too wise to reveal how deep his hatred of Cassius ran to anyone.  Although he did not trust the other slaves, he still would not do anything to help Cassius, even to look good in the man's eyes.  That did not mean that he approved of all their gossip.  Brion knew that it would only take one slip of the tongue at the wrong moment and Cassius would unleash his temper on all around him, if he knew what his slaves were talking about.  Brion's concern was not for the fools with loose tongues, but for himself.  Brion had learned long ago to take care of himself first, and he had no wish to see the Dominus angered so.  Brion was talented at knowing when and how to speak to Cassius.  It was what kept him from mistreatment most of the time.  Yet there had been mistakes made.  Brion had felt the whip a few times over the years, and with all the tension pervading the household, Brion feared it could happen again, despite his best efforts to avoid such fate.  For that reason, he was more cautious than usual as he entered the room and faced his Dominus.

 

"There you are, Brion!  Were feet planted in ground?  I called for you some time past," Cassius questioned in an irritated voice. 

 

Brion felt his stomach clench.  He knew that tone.  It often led to a sharp rap or slap across the face.  It even was a prelude to banishment long enough for the master to calm himself down on occasion.  Brion carefully controlled his own voice when he answered, not revealing the fear that invaded his guts.

 

"Apologies, Dominus.  You have need of me?"

 

"Fucking fool!  If need was absent, would I call for you?  There is to be a dinner party five days hence.  Find list of desired guests on desk.  Set mind to task and pen to parchment.  Send messengers to each house and wait for response.  Use skills with words and see to positive response.  Be quick about it.  Failure to bring desired results will cost dearly."

 

"Yes, Dominus."

 

Brion knew what his master meant.  He hurried away, determined to advertise this party as an event that must not be missed no matter what.  He settled into his seat at the table where he kept the household accounts.  Opening the list that waited for him there, he saw that every name written on the parchment was of a rich and powerful household.  It included influential Senators and wealthy businessmen.  One thing was clear, Cassius was about to attempt to curry favor for something of importance.  Brion got to work immediately, letting his mind run through one idea after another on how to word the invitation to draw the most favorable response from these men.  Cassius would accept nothing less.  He was selling something to these men and it was up to Brion to bring them to the party so they would buy whatever that was.  He began writing.  There was no time to waste.

 

*******************************************************************

 

The young Roman, Justinus, settled back on the full cushions of his luxurious bed and sighed deeply.  His body slave, Ethan, rolled away from the prone body stretched out beneath him.  He had known his master since early childhood and been lover to the man for several years now.  He knew when something was bothering him.

 

"Apologies, Justinus," using his proper name, which would have gotten him whipped if used on any other Roman.  "I have once again displeased you."

 

"Cease such thoughts, Ethan.  Fault does not lie on your head.  Inability to arouse cock lies elsewhere."

 

"Break words and I shall endeavor to fix problem," Ethan vowed.

 

"Can you rid me of hated name?  Can you change cursed lineage?"

 

Ethan had no answer.  He knew that the relationship between father and son in this household was strained at best.  He also felt he knew the reason why.  Justinus still felt the sting of his father's treatment of him.  They had never been close, but their connection was nearly severed entirely four years earlier when Justinus was almost forced into losing his virginity to a woman.  That night had changed both their lives when Justinus returned home from an outing with his father.  It had been Ethan's dearest wish to serve Justinus sexually for more than a year before that night occurred.  He had been certain that it was also Justinus's desire.  That night had been the beginning of his wish fulfilled.  Lately, however, Ethan had sensed changes coming.  For months now they had spent less and less time together sexually, and many times their lovemaking ended in frustration...as it did again this night.

 

Justinus rose from his bed and walked over to the nearby table.  He poured himself a cup of wine, staring off into space.  His thoughts were dark, as they often were of late.  The uprising by the rebel slaves had been downplayed for more than a year, but it was now being called a war, at least among the citizens of Rome.  His father talked of nothing else but how to destroy the movement and wipe out all the rebels.  Their triumphs cost Craigh dearly with lost revenue from businesses in the provinces.  Justinus knew how fierce and bloody the rebels had been, and the many Roman lives lost to them.  Yet a part of him understood their anger, and why they fought so hard.  He and his mother had never laid a hand on any of their slaves, but he also witnessed countless cruelties perpetrated on slaves owned by others, including his own father.  Justinus even went out of his way to avoid joining his father at the gladiator games held in the arena.  His mother always refused to go, her one defiance of her husband's expectations.  Bloodshed was not entertainment for Justinus.

 

He now turned to Ethan and dismissed him.  "Take to your bed.  Banish thoughts of my displeasure.  I have only self to blame for dismal mood."

 

Ethan hurried away.  Justinus settled back on his bed and tried to calm his cluttered mind.  What had created his foul mood on this particular night was an order from his father.  There were many times that Justinus could wriggle his way out of attending something with his father, but the man had been adamant that his son would join his parents this time.  They had received an invitation to a party being held by another wealthy businessman, and sometime friend, of his father's.  His name was Cassius.  If the dinner had been about business only, Justinus would have understood the reasoning behind his father's insistence on his attendance.  After Justinus turned eighteen, Craigh had become more and more eager to make his son show interest in the family businesses.  It was not where the young man's heart lay, however.  His interests were more of an artistic leaning, which was totally abhorrent to his father.

 

The invitation, which had been worded quite interestingly, revealed that there would also be a lively debate on the slave rebellion.  This meant that Justinus would be forced to listen to mad discourses on the devils who were threatening the Roman way of life.  Justinus, who found fault with much of the violence the rebels carried out, also found himself sympathizing with them to a degree.  The dichotomy often led to Justinus feeling confused and uncomfortable among other Romans.  He would have happily avoided the party at the house of Cassius, but his father forbade it.  Justinus decided he wouldn't test his father's limits... not at this time.  He would save such a move for something more serious.  He feared that the first time he stood up to his father, might be the last time.  He still had a few days to think about how he would handle himself once they were at the party.  Maybe something would come to him that would help him make more sense of this crazy world they lived in.  He didn't know who else would be at the party, but maybe he would meet someone there who would be of like mind with him.  He could only hope for the best.

 

*****************************************************************

 

Agron, top General and confidante to Spartacus, looked down on the beautiful face of his lover, Nasir.  The Syrian's dark eyes were full of humor.  They always managed to warm Agron's heart in ways he had never thought possible.  All his adult life he had fucked men here and there, yet never once connected to anyone in any way but physically.  That changed completely with the arrival of Nasir into his life.  He seldom allowed himself to reflect on how close he had come to never knowing such bliss with this man lying beneath him.  When first he saw Nasir, the young man had attempted to assassinate Spartacus himself.  At the time, Agron had favored killing Nasir for such an attempt.  Luckily, Spartacus's cooler head prevailed and the lad was spared.  Since then, Agron quickly began to recognize the true character of Nasir... one he more than admired a little.  Nasir was more courageous and compassionate than any man Agron had ever known before, except maybe for Spartacus. 

 

Even more importantly to Agron, Nasir seemed to see within Agron's soul, and liked what he saw.  He brought out a gentleness in Agron that had always been there, yet lost with the death of Agron's younger brother, Duro.  Agron spent months admiring Nasir from afar while the young man took to weapons training as if born to it.  The tentative conversations they had on occasion during this period became more frequent and playful.  Then a singular event brought about momentous changes for the couple.  Nasir almost lost his life on a mission to save the lover of Crixus, Spartacus's other General.  Agron's heart had never hurt so much as it did waiting to see if Nasir would live or die from a great wound inflicted on him.  Agron felt tremendous guilt since he had refused to join the mission for his own reasons.  But fate had been kind to Agron.  Nasir lived.  Once the young Syrian was back on his feet, Agron wasted no time in greeting Nasir with a kiss so tender it would have made a virgin blush. 

 

It was only the beginning.  The moment Nasir's wound was fully healed, the two became lovers.  In between battles and raids, they made love as if every day would be their last.  No two lovers showed more passion as they took turns possessing one another.  Two hearts became one... two bodies became one... two souls became one, time and time again.  They never had enough.  Only duties and combat kept them apart, and even that did not always separate them.  The most passionate nights followed their triumphs over the enemy.  It was at times like these that their lovemaking would split the heavens with the intensity they felt for one another.  This night was one such coupling.  They had defeated the forces of Cossinius and Furius, even though the Consul-Generals themselves escaped, and the couple were feeling particularly alive and lustful.

 

Agron's kisses were torrid as he nipped and sucked his way along Nasir's neck and torso.  Their lips became bruised as their tongues probed the depths of their mouths, their breaths intermingling.  As their passion for one another mounted to an all-consuming need, their bodies joined as one.  Skin, browned by the sun met with skin, darkened by birthright as Agron's thighs slapped against Nasir's.  His manhood sought refuge again and again in the warmth Nasir offered so willingly.  Agron possessed a cock that seemed to know exactly where to reach for that special place in Nasir that caused his body to tremble.  Each stroke was like a nerve ending being tickled.  Soon both men found themselves quivering with the urge to release the tension built inside them.  Neither wanted to wait any longer.  They let themselves go, emitting a sound somewhere between laughter and a cry of surrender. 

 

Agron fell hard atop Nasir, the smaller man running his hands through Agron's dampened hair and pulling his face down for another kiss.  Nasir was obviously proud of Agron's prowess, as well as his own.  The couple traded praise of one another in a way that would have sounded boastful and arrogant if not for the truth of it. When Agron rose to fetch wine that Nasir requested to quench their thirst, a result of their strenuous endeavors, his pride in Nasir for reasons other than sexual prowess became evident too.

 

"You afforded yourself well upon the field this day," he remarked.

 

"You stand surprised," answered Nasir.

 

"I've always believed in you, Nasir.  Even when you were yet a contrary little Syrian slave boy."

 

"My eyes were yet shrouded.  I'm forever in Spartacus's debt for parting veil."

 

"A debt shared equally by all.  One we shall repay with Roman lives," Agron promised.

 

The couple smiled at each other.  They were fully aware of what Agron's words meant... that a time might come when the blood shed could be their own, but they found joy in this cause that had brought them together.  They fought for the freedom of others, but it was their own freedom... their right to choose who to love and when to share that love... that was of utmost importance to the couple.  No Roman master could part them simply because he or she wanted to.  Spartacus gave them that gift of choice and they would honor it with total loyalty.  Tonight they celebrated the routing of forces led by Cossinius and Furius.  Next time they would capture the   Consul-Generals themselves.  They trusted that Spartacus would find a way to accomplish that task.  They knew, even as they snuffed out their oil lamps and lay back down together, with Nasir's head resting against Agron's broad chest, that even the death of those two men would not end the war.  They had no idea who Rome would send out next, but it didn't really matter.  They would continue to build their forces during the lull between battles.  They would continue to harass and bedevil the Romans.  They would continue to fight and bleed together if need be... and they would continue to love each other at every opportunity, until the day the gods turned from them and one or both journeyed to the afterlife.  And nothing or no one would ever separate them until that day.  It was a vow they intended to keep.

 

 

To be continued........