- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

As promised, Brion and Justinus are about to meet.  Where it will lead to in the future, only the fates know.  As for Agron and Nasir, they are simply moving forward with the rebellion, but could plans that Spartacus is thinking of pursuing lead to changes for the loving couple... as well as two other men they haven't met yet?  Only time will tell.

Many thanks to my beta, Judy, for her help.

Ethan completed his task, laying out the clothing his young master had chosen for the night's festivities.  They were not Justinus's favorites, but this didn't surprise the young body slave at all.  He was fully aware that Justinus was not overjoyed to be attending the dinner party.  He would have gladly stayed home if his father, Craigh, had allowed it.  Even so, the clothes were nothing to be ashamed of.  Craigh would not have anything but the finest silks and wool for his only son to wear.  His wife, Ginevra, also wore only the best quality materials on her body.  It was not a case of Craigh's generosity or indulgence.  It was a matter of pride.  He could not be seen by others as anything but a wealthy man, thus his home was only furnished with the work of the best craftsman, and his family was only seen wearing the best fabrics and jewelry.  Tonight, Justinus would wear his dark green and blue tunic with a piping made of golden thread, covered by his toga of pure white.  A brooch in the form of the family crest, a red lion and elk facing each other, lay next to the garments, waiting to be pinned to his shoulder for support.  Ethan knew Justinus would look particularly attractive tonight. 

 

 

 

Ethan would not be attending, although he often accompanied Justinus wherever he went.  Instead, Craigh informed his son that his own bodyguards would be their escort, and there would be plenty of slaves provided for their needs at the house of Cassius.  Ethan was not happy to be excluded, especially from an affair such as this.  Even mere slaves, like himself, enjoyed the chance to get away from the daily routine.  Besides, Ethan knew Justinus sometimes found his father's acquaintances boring.  At times like that, Justinus usually sought a way to absent himself from the main party so that he and Ethan could find somewhere private to chat about something of more interest to the young Roman.  Ethan wondered if the Dominus had noticed such a thing being done by his son and forbade bringing the body slave so that he could have his full attention.  It wouldn't surprise the slave at all.  Father and son did seem to enjoy irritating each other at every opportunity.  Well, it was of no concern to Ethan.  While Dominus, Domina, and son went out for the evening, the household slaves could relax a little.  Maybe Ethan would check out the new slave the Dominus had purchased only a week before.  The young man was rather appealing and Ethan was getting very little satisfaction from Justinus lately.

 

 

 

Just as the young Master crossed his mind, Ethan saw Justinus coming through the doorway.  He was draped in a large towel fresh from his bath.  Justinus stepped into his bedchamber and walked over to his bed.  He witnessed the usual care that his body slave provided in laying out his garments.  Ethan certainly knew how to please.  There were times, however, when Justinus couldn't help wondering how solicitous his slave would be if not forced to it out of fear of punishment.  Not that Justinus would even consider any form of punishment for his childhood friend.  Justinus had never sought punishment for a single one of the family slaves, least of all Ethan.  He doubted he ever could.  The thought of another human being suffering on his whim was totally abhorrent to Justinus, no matter what the custom was for his people.  Justinus actually found himself often mulling over the thought of how he would feel if he was the one born to slavery.  It was only the Fates that provided him the privileged life he led, but fate could have turned the other way just as easily. 

 

 

 

Tonight was not the time for such deep philosophical musings.  He would need to prepare himself for an evening of conversation that he would probably find boring, at best, and maybe disturbing as well.  Justinus would have gladly forsaken the gathering in exchange for an evening at home alone with his paints and scrolls.  He doubted his father even knew that painting was his son's main source of interest, nor would he care even if he did know.  Paintings, sculpture, and architecture were for craftsman, not the son of a businessman like Craigh.  Justinus did not keep his pastime a secret, but he really had no need to hide it.  His father seldom visited his bedchamber, where the young man kept all of his supplies.   If he was lucky, they would return home at a reasonable hour and he would have some time to work on his latest project... a drawing of the garden just outside their central atrium.  He wanted to try his hand at drawing the human form, but had found no inspiration so far.  It didn't matter what he drew.  All he knew was that he felt compelled to take up paint and brush.  For now, however, he must put away such desires.  He had just pinned his toga at the shoulder when he heard his father calling.  It was time to obey his father's wishes.  He wasn't looking forward to it.

 

 

 

***************************************************************

 

 

 

Brion stayed back in the corner of the great hall leading to the center of the estate.  His task was to oversee the other house slaves and make sure they catered to every whim of his Dominus's guests.  The female slaves were draped in linen garments that barely hid their private areas.  Many of the more nubile girls wore a single strap covering one breast while the other lay bare.  The males wore nothing more than subligarias or a very short tunic made of white cotton.  All wore slave collars around their throats, including Brion, although he was dressed in finer cloth and a more colorful tunic that reached to his knees.  Musicians and scantily-clad dancers stood nearby waiting for their cue to perform.  Trays of sweetmeats and honeyed wine were passed among the gathering guests.  Each and every invitee had accepted the carefully worded invitation created by Brion... a thing of pleasure for Cassius.  Nearly all the guests had arrived.  It was time to announce that dinner was about to be served.

 

 

 

Brion was about to leave his post to check on the kitchen staff and ensure that all was going as planned when he noticed the last of the guests entering the great hall.  It was the merchantman, Craigh, along with his wife and son.  Brion knew all about Craigh, although he would show no sign of it to anyone.  The man's name was well known by a number of Celtic slaves in Rome.  What was known about Craigh explained the reason why there were no Celts among the man's household slaves.  Brion surmised it was the fear of being assassinated by a slave from the land of the Celts that kept him from making such a purchase, at least for his private household staff.  Brion was but a lad of nine years of age when stories were carried from one village to another of the man called Craigh, the Deceiver. He had served as right-hand man to the chieftain of his village and then betrayed him by colluding with the Romans when they invaded during their quest to enslave the people and annex their lands for Roman settlers.  His betrayal cost the lives and freedom of nearly everyone in the community, with only a small number escaping to tell the tale.  Word spread quickly of the great rewards he received for his act of duplicity.  He was not seen again by any of their people... not until some arrived in chains in Rome itself.  It wasn't long before his true fate became known, but there was nothing anyone could do about it. 

 

 

 

Brion's village had been spared because of its location at the time of the first attacks.  Ten years later, however, his village also fell under the control of the Roman hordes.  This time there was no treachery involved, but those who remembered the stories of the traitor never forgot him, whether directly affected by him or not.  Brion's knowledge of the man's true nature was one of the reasons he was unhappy to see his name on the guest list.  He had no desire to see the man's face, but he certainly would not show his disdain for the bastard.  Brion valued his health too much to indulge in any display of scorn, no matter how much the man deserved it.  A slave was never allowed the luxury of expressing his true feelings... not if he wished to remain healthy and alive.  Brion quickly banished thoughts of who the man was that was now approaching him and schooled his face into an impassive expression.

 

 

 

"Welcome to the noble House of Lucius Cassius, Honored Sir.  You arrive as meal is about to be served.  If you have need of anything, please tell any servant and it shall be yours."

 

 

 

Craigh looked past Brion as if he wasn't there.

 

 

 

"Where is your Dominus?  I would break words with him in private before meal."

 

 

 

Brion was taken aback.  The man was not only a late-comer to the party, but was now rude enough to demand individual attention from the host just as dinner was about to be served to all the other guests.  But it was not Brion's job to point out the inappropriateness of this man's behavior.  Instead, he called for one of the young house slaves waiting to serve the needs of the guests.

 

 

 

"Duilio, pass message to Dominus that honored guest, Craigh, wishes a private discourse with him before meal." 

 

 

 

The young boy hurried away in search of his master.  Brion turned back to Craigh.

 

 

 

"May I offer another to direct wife and son to join others gathered within?" he asked, noticing the two people behind Craigh for the first time.

 

 

 

Craigh's wife spoke up.  "Yes, please do.  Knowing husband, it could be a long wait before presence is granted us again." she responded, with a hint of sarcasm.

 

 

 

Brion called over a second slave, a very pretty girl not yet twenty years of age.  After giving her instructions, Brion watched as she led Craigh's wife and son away to join the other party guests.  As the son passed by him, Brion was struck by his beauty.  There was a gentleness in the young man's face that was clearly absent from the father.  Brion was surprised that he even noticed the difference between the two.  He did not make it a practice looking directly into the faces of the Romans.  It was considered an insult by many of them and Brion avoided giving cause to any that could make his life more difficult.  Looking directly at the son was an accident of timing, and yet Brion did not regret it.  He decided it was in the young man's eyes.  He had the clearest, bluest eyes Brion had ever seen.  There was a light in them.  Brion was utterly shocked in the next moment as the young man passed by him following behind the slave and his mother.  For one fleeting instant, Brion found himself wanting to lean forward and kiss the full lips that graced that beautiful face.  The thought passed just as quickly as it formed.  Thoughts like that were well beyond the point of madness and danger.  Brion shrugged it off and led Craigh to the office of his Dominus.  Cassius arrived quickly and dismissed Brion, sending him to the kitchen to continue the duties delayed by the arrival of the final guest.  As he left, his thoughts were not on what the two men would be talking about.  His thoughts again wandered into dangerous territory.  His thoughts were on the attractive blond son of his hated kinsman.

 

 

 

********************************************************************

 

 

 

Craigh was not a man to waste words on any matter, especially ones that were of great importance.  He had a message for his host.  After receiving the invitation from Cassius to attend tonight's gathering, he instantly knew what it was about despite the fact that the wording was somewhat vague, albeit tantalizing.  He already knew who many of the other guests would be, thus solidifying his theory.  It helped that Craigh knew something that Cassius was not privy to.  Craigh had business dealings with Marcus Crassus in the past and the two men had formed a friendship of sorts.  It was best described as a friendly business rivalry, although Craigh was far from being as successful as Crassus.  Craigh knew that Crassus admired his devious mind, and ability to turn defeats into triumphs through whatever means was necessary.  Both men felt that the ends always justified the means.  Because of their friendship, Craigh was one of the few men that Crassus confided in concerning his thoughts on an offer made recently after the defeat suffered by the forces led by Cossinius and Furius against Spartacus and the rebels. 

 

 

 

The gist of Crassus's plans meant that he was finally willing to finance a force of ten thousand trained soldiers to destroy the rebellion once and for all.  The Senate themselves sent an envoy offering him a command under Cossinius and Furius in exchange for his support.  For reasons known only to Crassus, he did not wish this news to be shared with the entire city... not just yet.  Only Crassus's son, Tiberius was privy to his father's ambition to have full command of his troops as Praetor.  Crassus already had set a scheme in motion to attain that lofty position.  Only then would he allow all of Rome to know.  When Craigh told Crassus of the invitation from Cassius, he was instructed on what to tell his host.  This was why Craigh now sat in the man's office.

 

 

 

Cassius looked perturbed to be called away while his other guests waited on their evening meal.  The two men greeted each other as the casual acquaintances they were.  A quarter of an hour later, Cassius knew he had wasted his money and time in arranging the party.  There would be no need to curry favor or solicit financial support from any of these men that graced his tables this night.  The wily and secretive Crassus was the one in charge of Rome's future desire to rid themselves of the rebel scourge.  Cassius was also sworn to secrecy, just as his guest had been earlier by Crassus himself.  Cassius felt lucky to be a part of the inner circle of a man as powerful and ambitious as Crassus.  Puffed up with prideful importance, Cassius left his office with Craigh following behind and hurried to join the other guests.  The party would not be in vain.  He would enjoy their company, and they would enjoy his hospitality, and no one but Craigh would know the true reason behind the whole thing.

 

 

 

***************************************************************

 

 

 

Justinus did not notice when his father entered the dining hall of the estate.  He was seated on a cushioned couch next to his mother.  He barely listened to what another of the guest prattled on about to his mother.  She was an old family friend, but Justinus could not have cared less what she had to say.  It was some nonsense about the exorbitant price of cloth, thanks to the slave rebellion against Rome.  He was tired of hearing how all the woes of the city could be placed squarely at the feet of Spartacus and the rebels.  The thought crossed his mind that there might not have been a rebellion if the slaves were treated more humanely.  Of course, he kept his thoughts to himself.  But that thought was not the one that kept pricking at his brain right now.  No, something else was on his mind, and it was causing him to feel quite distracted.

 

 

 

Justinus was bothered by something unexpected.  Unlike the average Roman citizen, he never thought of slaves as nothing more than a piece of furniture... property to be ignored when not in use.  Ethan was not the only slave in his household that Justinus spent time talking with on occasion.  He was actually interested in the lives of those around him, even when they wore the slave collar.  But despite his recognizing slaves as human beings with feelings like his own, he had never paid attention to any slaves outside of those owned by his own family.  And yet now, he found himself thinking about a slave that he didn't even know the name of.  What was more surprising, he was face to face with that particular slave for mere seconds... hardly time to form an opinion about him.  Their eyes had locked so briefly; and yet Justinus could still see those hazel eyes staring at him intently in that brief moment.  Why he couldn't get the image out of his head was puzzling. 

 

 

 

Even after his father joined them, looking oddly smug, and dinner was consumed, Justinus realized he was still seeing that slave's eyes staring at him in his imagination.  He even found himself looking around the large room, unconsciously trying to locate that same slave.  When the meal was over and the tables cleared, Justinus again searched the room without thinking of why he did so.  All the guests began milling about, dividing into little cliques... men and women for the most part in separate groups.  Justinus was the youngest person in the room by a number of years so he found himself off in a corner alone as the host called for entertainment to begin.  There were dancers and acrobats to watch performing, but Justinus was bored.  He felt restless.  He hated the fact his father made him come even more at this very moment.  Absentmindedly, he began wandering away from the main body of the activity going on.  A few minutes later, he found himself in the estate's vast garden.  There were benches arranged throughout and a small fountain, with a statue of Bacchus holding a bunch of grapes high in the air as if offering them as sacrifice to the great Jupiter in the center.

 

 

 

Sighing deeply in contentment at the peace and quiet out here under the stars, the young man took a seat.  The air was filled with the perfume of dozens of flowers of every type.  Cassius may have been known as a boorish man, but he certainly knew how to put his slaves to good use in producing beautiful gardens.  Justinus thought the grounds would make a lovely drawing, if only he had the right tools and was allowed the chance to reproduce what he saw.  Of course, that would never happen.  Suddenly, the young man saw movement out of the corner of his eye.  He turned to face whoever had invaded the tranquility he was enjoying, praying it wasn't Cassius or his father.  It was neither.

 

 

 

"Apologies, young Master.  I did not know the garden was occupied.  I shall take leave so you may return to deep thoughts."

 

 

 

It was that same tall, hazel-eyed slave.

 

 

 

"No, stay your departure.  Please.  It is I who trespass in your domain."

 

 

 

"Not mine, but my Dominus's.  Banish worry of disturbing Dominus, however.  He spends little time in cherished gardens.  They are the delight of Domina, not his."

 

 

 

Brion turned to leave, but was again stopped.

 

 

 

"Please do not take your leave because of my presence.  Do you visit these gardens often?"

 

 

 

"When mood strikes and opportunity arises, I do."

 

 

 

"Would you brand me rude if I asked a question of you?  I confess to curiosity.  You greeted us at arrival, but was unseen after that.  What position do you hold in this house?"  Justinus paused, then added.  "Do not think you must answer because you are slave and I, Roman."

 

 

 

Brion was taken aback.  He had never known a Roman who wanted an answer to a question and yet told a slave he did not have to give it,  What's more, this was the son of the traitor, Craigh, who was known to be a haughty man that all his slaves feared.  This young man was nothing like Brion expected.  He now wondered if his first impression of the young man was more than a little accurate.  The son appeared to be nothing like the father.  But still, he was a Roman.  That meant Brion had to tread carefully.

 

 

 

"You have but to ask..."

 

 

 

"Justinus.  My name is Justinus."

 

 

 

Brion hesitated.  Calling a Roman by his name was frowned upon, unless it was your master and he or she gave permission to do so.  He did not know this young man... this Justinus.  But there was something about the way he smiled when he said his name that gave Brion courage.

 

 

 

"You have but to ask... Justinus.  I am overseer of Dominus's household, a position of some rank.  My duties kept me away."

 

 

 

"And the name you are called by...?"

 

 

 

"Brion.  I was given the name Brion upon birth."

 

 

 

"And what land do you hale from, Brion?"

 

 

 

Brion was about to answer when the two men heard the sound of approaching footsteps.  It was Ginevra.  Justinus turned away to greet her.

 

 

 

"Justinus, your father calls for you.  Take leave and hurry.  He shows contentment.  Pray he remains so.  Give no cause to change placid mood."

 

 

 

"Yes, Mother."

 

 

 

Justinus was loathe to leave.  He was enjoying Brion's company, but he knew his mother was right.  His father was obviously pleased with the way the evening had gone, and it would be wise to keep him happy.  He turned back to say his goodbye to the interesting slave, but was surprised to see no one there.  Justinus felt his heart skip.  He knew it was silly of him.  The chances he would ever see the man again, much less have a conversation with him, were extremely slim, and yet he wished the man had stayed to say goodbye.   Disappointed, Justinus hurried to join his mother.  He hoped he would see Brion once more as he left the villa.  It did not happen.  As his family stepped out into the street and into the litter that would take them home, he reflected on how the night had ended.  He had wanted nothing to do with this party, but now he was glad he came.  Although it would probably only lead to frustration in the end.

 

 

 

***********************************************************************

 

 

 

As Justinus and Brion parted ways, three other men were staring down upon a large villa from a rocky outcrop and praying that the night would end in bloodshed and victory.  Thanks to a message from Crassus that Spartacus intercepted from a small band of Roman soldiers on their way to Cossinius and Furius, they had become aware of how to find the two Consul-Generals.  With some careful scouting, they finally located the two men.  Their goal was to separate the men's heads from their bodies in order to break the spirit of the Roman soldiers who had thus far continued to fight, despite repeated losses.  Tonight they would do just that, or die in the attempt.  It was vital that they succeed, because the message also provided important news of Crassus, soon to be in pursuit of them with a force of ten thousand men. 

 

 

 

Spartacus assigned Agron to the task of providing a diversion to lead most of the encamped soldiers away from the villa while he, Crixus, and Gannicus snuck in under cover of darkness.  In the end, Spartacus's plans ended in victory, as they had so many times before.  Many Roman soldiers lost their lives this night, including both Cossinius and Furius.  Once the remainder of their forces saw their heads displayed on pikes, they broke ranks and fled.  There was no time for the rebels to celebrate their victory.  The threat of Crassus's army was not to be taken lightly.  That, along with the coming Winter, coupled with what was now a constantly growing party of rebel slaves, gave concern as to what should be their next move.  After some discussion with his Generals, Spartacus made his decision.  It was time for them to find a place large enough for their forces to regroup and make plans for the future of the rebellion.  A villa would never hold them.  They had need of an entire city.  And thanks to one of the runaway slaves, Spartacus thought he now knew where that city was located.

 

 

 

To be continued........................