- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Four men, each on the road to the same destination.  Two are already very much in love, and facing a dangerous future once they reach their destination.  Two have connected, but in a way that has them both confused.  Reaching their destination means the end of any chance to invest more of themselves into that connection... or does it?  

Many thanks to my wonderful beta, Judy, for her help.

 

The darkness appeared to swallow up the young man.  There was not a single bright star blinking or a wedge of moon shining to relieve his pitch-black surroundings.  Only the sounds of chickens crammed tightly in their cages, human beings snoring loudly, the dim light from dying fires, and the smell of the mules that pulled the carriages and carts was proof that people were camped just off the main road.  Justinus was unable to sleep.  The small caravan that he traveled with had been on the road from early morning till after dark, with only short breaks for food, and to stretch tired limbs.  His father and Cassius had finally agreed to stop for the night.  It was obvious they were in a hurry to get to their destination, but even they were in need of rest... as were the pack animals.  Tents went up quickly and food was prepared by the cooks.  Cassius and Craigh sat together talking around the campfire, giving no sign that they wanted Justinus to join them.  That was fine with the young Roman.  They had nothing to say that he cared about hearing. 

 

Justinus did feel like talking with someone, but unfortunately for him it wasn't anyone who was free to carry on a conversation with him.  During their brief stops, he found himself having difficulty ignoring Cassius's slave, Brion's, close proximity.  Brion stuck closely behind Cassius at all times.  Justinus understood it.  Ethan was forced to do the same for him, just as Agape had to do for Craigh.  As body slaves, all three men had to be ready to jump at any command their Masters gave them.  Ethan was the only one of the three who seldom received orders.  Justinus was born into his privileged position, but he was never comfortable with it.  Now, more than anything, he wished he had someone intelligent to talk with.  They had at least three more full days of traveling ahead of them.  He didn't know how he was going to endure the interminable hours in the company of people he hated or didn't like.  He had walked away from the camp, into the dark, just so he could get away to be by himself.  All but two of their guards slept, and neither of them saw fit to stop him.  They were getting paid to keep predators out, not their employers in.

 

Justinus sat against a large boulder gazing into the blackened sky.  It was rare for it to be so dark.  Strangely enough, he didn't feel any fear.  There was no way of knowing if wild animals rested nearby.  There was no way to tell if there were unfriendly humans just waiting for the chance to rob a rich caravan.  Even though no one thought any of the rebels were close by, there was also no way of knowing if they were being watched by a band of them too.  Yet, the young Roman didn't really care.  Nothing out in the dark could be any worse than what, or who, was waiting back in camp.  As he sat there, however, he was beginning to realize that there was one thing he hadn't counted on when he left the safety of the campsite.  The air at night turned quite chilly, and the robe he wrapped himself in before leaving camp was no longer keeping him comfortably warm.  Whether he liked it or not, he was going to be forced to return to camp, and the comfort of his tent.  Sighing deeply, Justinus started to rise.  As he got to his feet, he heard a twig snap and the heavy sound of breathing.

 

"Who goes there?" he asked nervously.

 

"Apologies," came a familiar voice.  "I've now made habit, intruding on valued privacy."

 

Justinus breathed a sigh of relief.  He still couldn't clearly see the tall, shadowy figure in front of him...yet he was certain who stood there. 

 

"You go by the name of Brion, if memory serves properly...slave to Cassius?"

 

"I bear said name and position.  And you are son to Craigh, the Celtic Roman?"

 

"It is my burden to bear such title."

 

"Burden?  Strange words from one enjoying such vaunted position in life."

 

"Let not trappings of wealth and position fool the mind.  What the eye sees is not always truth.  Pretty wrappings disguise ugly gifts on occasion."

 

As Justinus spoke, his teeth began chattering.  The cold night air was getting to him.  Brion recognized the sound.  His eyes had also adjusted to the dark enough to see the slender body of the young Roman slightly shaking.

 

"Again, apologies.  You are cold, and I delayed your return to camp.  I carry a flask of wine and extra blanket, brought to keep me warm whilst I ponder life's meaning alone in the dark.  Would you share offered comfort with me?  Or I can see you safely back to camp, if that is desire."

 

Justinus's first reaction was to leave, and let Brion have his privacy.  He knew it was unwise to risk being found so far from camp with another man's slave.  Yet, the idea of getting to know Brion better was too enticing to ignore.  This man... this slave had already intrigued him to the point of distraction.  Justinus wanted to know why he had such an effect on him.  Making his decision, he sat back down with his back to the boulder and patted the ground beside him.  Brion did not hesitate.  He squatted down and came to rest right next to Justinus.  He opened up the blanket he'd brought and spread it over their shoulders so that they both were covered from the neck down.  Justinus immediately felt warmer and more comfortable.  Brion brought out the wine so that they both could take a drink.  It tasted wonderful, and obviously was of the best quality... not surprising, considering the man who had bought it.  Justinus was aware that Brion, if caught, would probably be punished for taking the wine if he hadn't received permission to do so.  He suspected that Brion hadn't sought permission either.  There was something daring about the man, even though Justinus was aware he barely knew anything about him.  It was simply a feeling he got when around Brion.

 

"I would ask if Cassius approved removal of his wine by your hand tonight, but in truth I care not.  We have more need of it than he, I'm sure.  By sight of heavy wagon, I suspect the man is well supplied and can spare a little."

 

"Brave words from one so young."

 

"I'm no child," Justinus bristled.

 

"Apologies again.  Offence was not intended.  Young does not imply childishness.  I do not see a child when my eyes fall upon you."

 

Justinus caught a hint of something in the way that Brion said that last part, but he could not be sure of its meaning.  Better to let it lie, he decided.  For almost an hour the two men sat close together, sharing warmth and conversation.  It became clear that neither man was in a hurry to part ways, and yet the dawn would soon come.  They knew it would be unwise to stay away from camp any longer.  They finally agreed it was time to leave.  Justinus was the first to make his way back to their campsite, again being ignored by the sleepy guard on duty.  Brion returned the same way he had left, sneaking back through bushes behind the tent shared with the other slaves.  All were still sound asleep, just as Craigh was in the tent he shared with his son.  As the two men settled down to get a few more hours of sleep before camp would break in the morning, they thought about their exchanges.  They had learned a lot about each other, and the one thing they discovered most was that each thought the other intelligent, witty, and likable.  What they both also discovered, but did not say to one another, was they also found each other desirable. 

 

******************************************************************

 

Nasir stood guard on the flanks of the campsite with his ears finely tuned for the slightest sounds or movements.  He wasn't alone, as it was customary for guard duty to always be in pairs.  Often Agron would be with him on guard duty at night, but he'd chosen to pair up with another of the rebels and take to the front of their encampment.  He trusted no one as much as himself and Nasir to keep their people safe.  Nasir suspected that he was also thinking they would both be less sidetracked if they weren't together.  It was easy to recall at least once when they let their closeness distract them from guard duty.  Spartacus had not been too happy with them over that incident, especially when it almost cost the life of their prisoner, Illythia.  Their movement towards Sinuessa en Valle, the coastal city they hoped to wrest control of once they arrived, was slow going because of their charges.  Many of the rebellious slaves that had joined with them were little more than simple folk with no training at all in fighting... many not even out of childhood yet, or long past the age for warfare.  Spartacus welcomed them all.  Each day, however, did bring them closer to their goal.  Once they got there, Spartacus, Gannicus, and Crixus would be ready for them.

 

Lugo, another of the Germanic warriors who had joined the rebellion, once he was freed by Spartacus and Agron, stretched his powerful arms out and yawned.  He was built like a solid boulder.  Like Nasir, he was shorter in height than most, but he was extremely strong, with thick muscles.  He and Nasir had become fast friends after a rocky beginning.  The two men often enjoyed each other's company now.  Lugo felt the call of Nature and stepped over to a nearby bush to relieve his aching bladder.  When he returned to his post a few yards from Nasir, the Syrian laughed under his breath.

 

"Share amusement, so both can break monotony with giggles," Lugo demanded.

 

"I do not giggle," Nasir protested.  "Yet amusement can be found in timing of piss.  Perhaps Lugo's bladder holds storage of fabled camel's hump."

 

"Lugo's bladder, cock, and balls match size of elephant... not puny camel, like Syrian I have acquaintance with."

 

"No need for bragging on my part.  Break words with Agron, if thought turns to this Syrian's inadequacies.  I will let him speak for me." 

 

Nasir's voice held amusement.  He and Lugo were comfortable trading barbs on occasion, especially to lighten their moods.  A night like this required a little humor.  They still had a long journey ahead of them and many helpless people to be responsible for.  One thing their rebellion did not need was the loss of any of their forces, whether well-trained or not.  It was even more important now that their numbers swell, rather than decrease, since word came that they would soon face the trained forces of Marcus Crassus.  There were times when Nasir allowed himself the realization that he and Agron would probably not live a long life together.  When those moments came, he never felt anger or fear at the probable prospect.  What he did feel was enormous sadness.  His love for Agron was a living, breathing entity, more powerful than all the gods worshiped by men.  The idea that he would not have countless years to bask in their relationship was painful for Nasir.  He never knew the gods of his own people and was not so sure that any of the other gods were real, but he prayed he would be reunited with Agron in the afterlife.  It was that hope that kept him grounded.

 

Daylight began to peek its way past the gloom of an unusually dark night finally.  They were joined by several trained ex-gladiators who would now be in charge of guarding the rear as the caravan proceeded on to their next encampment.  Lugo and Nasir met up with the others who had stood guard duty during the night.  They would ride in a few of the covered wagons interspersed throughout the long line of travelers to get some much needed rest before the mid-morning meal.  Nasir's face lit up with a smile when he saw Agron approaching.  They quickly kissed, as was their custom after any separation, whether short or long.  Everyone else already knew their responsibilities for safe passage for the troops as a whole.  They were expertly honed from months of maneuvers just like this one.  It allowed Agron to relax a little bit.  Agron and Nasir climbed into the lead wagon, and another day's move began.  The couple drank deeply from their water skins, taken off defeated Roman soldiers in a previous campaign.  They divided a chunk of bread and the remains of a roasted chicken prepared by early risers for the morning meal.  They then settled down in the well of the wagon, wrapped in a single blanket.  There were many more days of this routine ahead of them, but they expected the reward at the end to be worth any discomfort experienced for the time being.

 

***************************************************************

 

The second and third days on the road to Sinuessa was no different than the first for the weary travelers in Cassius and Craigh's little caravan.  There were no incidents to threaten anyone's safety, which was appreciated by masters and slaves alike.  Though no one spoke of it out loud, there was always the fear that the slave rebels might be nearby, despite reassurances that they were nowhere near the same vicinity.  Naturally the Romans feared such a thing, but so did their slaves.  They knew that they would probably be murdered by their own masters, rather than be allowed to live to join up with the rebels, once freed by them.  Thankfully, the travelers moved along peacefully, if somewhat boringly. 

 

Justinus spent a lot of his time sound asleep in the carriage with his father.  His reason was twofold.  First, he had nothing to say to Craigh.  They barely communicated with one another at home.  Being forced to share a confined space for so many hours did not change that dynamic at all.  He was grateful that his father didn't seem any more interested in speaking with him than he was with his father.  His second reason was that he was simply dead tired.  Only one person knew that he was awake most of the night, every night.  Justinus was extremely grateful when Craigh finally decided on the third day that he was fed up with the lack of stimulating conversation.  He chose to join Cassius in his carriage for most of that day and the next.  He learned from Brion that they spent all those hours talking about business and their concerns over the slave rebellion, for the most part.

 

Justinus learned a lot from Brion after that first night of encampment.  They repeated their escapade all three nights that followed the first one.  They waited until deep into the night, when everyone but the few guards were sound asleep, and then met as far from the campsite as possible without risking getting lost.  Luckily for them, the last three nights were nothing like the first one.  The sky was filled with stars, and there were no thick clouds blocking the moon's light as before.  Each time they got together, they found a comfortable place to settle, using a blanket that Brion always brought to keep themselves warm.  They talked about everything... everything except  the growing feelings that each was experiencing.  They talked of politics, art, travels... even their families, although Brion never mentioned that he was from the same part of the world that Craigh came from originally. 

 

Brion was aware that there was no love lost between Justinus and his father, but he wasn't prepared to reveal that he knew first-hand what the man's guilty past was.  He had no way of knowing if Justinus even knew anything about his father's history.  If he didn't, Brion wasn't going to be the one to tell him.  Inexplicably, he felt a certain protectiveness towards the young Roman.  He really didn't understand it.  The only person he ever felt that he needed to protect was himself, before now.  It was a strange thing, because if anyone would need protection if they were caught during these late-night sojourns together, it would be he and not Justinus.  And as for the young Roman's feelings... well, that was even harder for Brion to fathom.  Why he cared whether Justinus would be hurt knowing of his father's sins was a complete mystery to Brion.  He had never cared about the feelings of anyone else before... not even the majority of his lost family, who never demonstrated any belief in his worth when he was young.  Brion, however, had to accept it.  In a matter of days, he had come to care about another human being.  It was a scary thought, but there was no denying it.  Still, Brion knew that their friendship couldn't lead to anything long-term.  The best they could do was enjoy what little time they had together now.  Once they were back home in Rome, they would see each other seldom, if ever.  Romans and slaves did not mix, unless in the same household.  Those were the rules they lived by.

 

Unbeknownst to Brion, Justinus was feeling the same turmoil inside his head.  He had once felt a strong fondness for Ethan, his body slave, but that faded eventually.  He still cared about his childhood companion, but the connection they once had no longer felt like a part of his world.  Now, however, he was feeling an even stronger connection to a different slave... a man totally different from Ethan in so many ways.  Despite the fact that Brion was also a slave, and appeared subservient on the surface (as did Ethan), Justinus sensed there was a strong independent soul inside that Brion kept well hidden.  In another time and place, Justinus was convinced that Brion would be a leader among men... that men would take orders from him, rather than the other way around.  The young Roman loved that quality in Brion.  He respected Brion for that as well as his intelligence.  All this, however, was not the source of his disquiet.  It was his physical, not emotional responses to Brion that caused him agitation.  He wasn't totally naive.  He knew what he really wanted.  He also knew it was a crazy desire.  He told himself he had to get control of those feelings... for Brion's sake as much as his own.

 

"The hour grows late."

 

Brion's voice broke the silence they had fallen into.  The couple had already been away from their camp for several hours, and it was time to go back.  The morning would see the start of their final day on the road.  Before evening fell again, they would be safely within the walls of Sinuessa... and probably forced to stay apart until the journey back to Rome.

 

"If the gods would allow it, I would stop the Sun from rising.  I would break words with you for countless hours longer, if they would but grant my wish.  The rules we must live by is shit from the mouths of imbeciles and hypocrites," Justinus cried out, angrily.

 

"Your words warm heart, yet it is the world we live in.  We must return.  I will not die for an impossible wish, absent any chance of fulfillment.

 

Brian hated himself for the look on Justinus's face at that moment.  He did not want to end their night any more than the young man did, but he was a realist.  He knew he had to be strong for the both of them.  He jumped up from the ground and put out both his hands to help Justinus to his feet.  The moment Justinus was standing, he started to pull away, but Brion held on.  The two men stood facing each other.  Later on, neither man could recall who moved first.  One second, they were staring into each other's eyes... the next, their lips met.  The kiss only lasted seconds, but their hearts were beating faster than ever before.  They smiled at each other.  It was a tentative, nervous kind of smile... ones given by men unsure of what would happen next.  Then it did happen.  Brion let go of Justinus's hands and wrapped him in his arms instead.  He pulled Justinus against his body and kissed him hard, forcing his lips to part to allow their tongues to meet.  Justinus melted against Brion's strong frame.  He could barely breathe, but he would not have pulled away from the kiss if his life depended on it. 

 

The cold of the night was forgotten in the heat of their untapped passion.  It shocked them with the intensity they felt.  Sometime later they would ask themselves what spurred them to such a surprising turn of events, but it didn't matter why at this moment in time.  Whether it was regret at not being able to spend any time with each other again until the journey home, and then probably never again after that, or whether it was simply the Fates playing games with them... the reason why they fell into each other's arms mattered little.  What did matter was that they now knew where they stood.  They both wanted the same thing.  They wanted each other.  And tonight they would risk more than they ever had before in their lives.  Tonight they would take what they wanted from each other, and the rules be damned... either the rules, or they would be damned.

 

 

To be continued..............