- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sinuessa is about to explode in an orgy of violence and retribution.  How does this affect Brion, Justinus, and so many others?  Will the lovers survive to love again, and if they do...how will they manage it.  And will their survival affect another couple some day?  That is a question to be answered later, but first they must meet each other.  A lot will happen on this singular night.  And so it begins.

 

 

Agron, Nasir, Crixus, and all the others who waited in shadow outside the walls of Sinuessa, kept their ears sharpened for the sound of activity on the other side.  Crixus reported earlier that Spartacus and Gannicus would make an attempt to raise the gate to the city, or die trying.  All the other rebels had only one job to do, and that was to be prepared to storm the gate the moment it trembled from solid ground.  All they needed was a small opening to give them a fighting chance of over-running the entire city.  Agron draped his arm over Nasir's shoulder.  Nasir held tight to his spear in one hand, his other resting against Agron's thigh.  Both warriors needed this brief touch, knowing that this night could be their last together.  They never went into battle with the fear of death at the forefront of their thoughts, but it always lurked in the background of their minds.  They had shared their love for each other the previous night before arriving at this destination, but now they were all business... no matter what the cost might be.

 

The bulk of their forces were now within hearing distance of the city walls, from one side to the other of the huge gate that protected its citizens within.  This is why, some hours after Crixus had joined them, disturbing noises finally could be heard coming from within the massive structure.  The unmistakable sounds of metal upon metal, mixed with loud grunts and indistinguishable clamor, became clearer with each passing second.  Those close enough to see the figures of the guards walking along the wall, witnessed them turning away to face back to the city just before disappearing altogether.  Word spread in a flash.  It was time.  The rebels pressed forward, no longer concerned about discovery.  It was obvious the guards were otherwise occupied.  Those in front now stood only inches from the heavy gate.  They could not see what was happening inside, but they knew that Spartacus and Gannicus were doing their very best to raise the gate as quickly as possible.  Then it was suddenly happening.  The gate groaned as it crept upward... one inch, two inches, three inches, and more.  Finally it was high enough for the first man, Crixus, to roll underneath.  Several of the strongest of the rebels took up positions at the bottom of the partially-raised gate, using their well-developed muscles to force it higher.  Agron, Nasir, and the others followed fast on the heels of Crixus.  Guards that had come to fight to protect their city, were swiftly struck down by the experienced warriors at the head of the invasion forces.

 

*************************************************************

 

The streets of Sinuessa began to flow with blood as more and more rebels streamed through the gate, like a merciless stampede of enraged beasts.  No quarter was being given to any Roman caught in the maelstrom.  Panic ensued, as the air became filled with the screams of dead and dying Romans.  Only Romans who realized early on what was happening, and had locked their doors, were temporarily safe.  Even women and children became a part of the massacre.  Romans were not the only ones to die this night.  Some Romans struck down their own slaves, knowing they would join the rebellion and stand against them, if given the chance.  Laeta, wife of Ennuis, heard the pandemonium from the doorway of her house on the hill.  A sixth sense told her what was happening.  She called for her husband, but was told by a frantic house slave that he had left for the city storehouse as soon as word reached him of the invasion.  

 

Laeta quickly determined that she must find Ennuis to assure herself that he yet lived.  She was about to depart in search of her husband, when their guests from Rome, Craigh and Cassius, came running out from one of the guest houses.  They were completely flustered and appeared to be half-drunk.  She had no time to waste on them, having found their company distasteful soon after Ennuis introduced them to her, but they were her husband's guests and business partners.  She stopped to answer their questions as best she could.  They were obviously alarmed.  She could hear it in their voices, despite their slurred speech.  It took a moment for them to grasp what she was telling them, but she finally saw the light dawn in their eyes.  Both men turned ashen.  They had heard all the horror stories of revenge delivered by the hands of ex-slaves on their masters.  No Roman was safe once the creatures who followed Spartacus got a toe-hold on a villa.  Now they were apparently attacking an entire city.  The one place that the men thought would be safe was now a trap.  There was only the open sea or an impassable mountain for escape.  Both routes led to certain death.  And now their host had left them alone to fend for themselves, for only the gods knew what reason! 

 

Craigh and Cassius sobered instantly.  They returned to Cassius's guest house, where they had been drinking for hours while talking over their woes, all caused by an ungrateful son and a miserable slave.  Craigh was angry that he would now have to curry favor with another rich Roman bastard in order to win the hand of a new wife, as he had once done for Ginevra.  He cared nothing for who she might be, as long as she gave him more sons.  Cassius was equally as angry at the thought of having to replace Brion.  Not only had the man been a good fuck, but even more importantly, he had a brilliant head for business.  He had managed Cassius's house better than anyone else before him.  But there was no way he could be spared simply because of his skills.  He and that other piece of shit, Justinus's body slave, Ethan, had to be used as an example by being crucified in the morning.  By the time the two men heard the disturbing noises from the city, they had decided they could live with their decisions regarding the three men they had condemned to their fates. 

 

Now their minds turned to what they must do to save themselves.  There was little time to discuss their choices.  Cassius announced that he was not taking any chances.  He would kill the few slaves he brought with him so that they could not turn a hand against him with the help of the rebels.  Then he would seek a hiding place for himself.  On a vast estate like this one, there had to be hiding places.  He would force one of Ennuis's slaves to reveal the location, before killing him too.  He advised Craigh to do the same.  Cassius then hurried away to find the unfortunate slaves he had brought on the trip.  Craigh agreed with Cassius's assessment of their situation.  He found Agape, his personal body slave, alone in the master bedroom of their guest house.  The older man was caught completely off-guard and easily dispatched with the blade of Craigh's dagger to his back.  He next found the two female kitchen slaves that had accompanied them on the trip, and ended their lives too.  As he stood over their bodies, his next thought turned to his son.  The boy was a bitter disappointment, but he did have a way with slaves.  Maybe, if he released Justinus, along with his body slave and his lover, he would have a chance of being spared by the rebels.  He knew that his son had a soft heart... far too soft as far as Craigh was concerned... but this was one time it might prove a valuable trait.  Surely, he decided, his own son would take pity on him.  All Justinus had to do was convince the two freed slaves to speak on their behalf.  If he reminded them that he wasn't truly a Roman, he might stand a chance of survival.  Then he could slip away unnoticed once things settled down. 

 

Craigh hurried from the house and made his way quickly to the small building where his son was being kept.  The two guards who had stood watch at the entrance were no longer in sight.  Craigh was certain they were called away by their Dominus to help fight the rebels.  He entered the building and made his way to the small room that housed the cell he'd left his son in.  He saw the key to the cell hanging on a hook near the doorway.  He grabbed it tightly in his hand and approached the darkened cell.  There was very little light.  A tiny slit, that served as a window, did not provide much light from the moon.  There was only a single lit candle on a bare wooden desk near the door.  Its light failed to illuminate the figures inside the cell.  Craigh carried a small torch.  He walked to the door of the cell and peered in, holding the torch high so that it could pierce the darkness of the tiny room.  He was immediately taken aback to find his son lying on the floor, in the arms of the bastard who ruined all his plans for Justinus's future.  Ethan lay close by, also appearing to be asleep.

 

"Son, rouse self," Craigh ordered, his voice higher than normal.  "Quickly, we must break words, or see all our lives doomed to destruction."

 

Justinus and Brion were startled awake by the intrusion.  They had not expected to see anyone again until morning.  They had no idea what hour it was, but they could see that it was still dark outside.  Justinus was surprised at his father's appearance too.  He had never seen his father like this before.  The man was sweating profusely and fidgeting as if being stung by a thousand bees.  There was a look in his eyes that was also out of character for Craigh.  He always appeared so self-assured to the young man.  He looked far from confident now.  If Justinus had to describe the look in his eyes, it was terror.  The man looked terrified.  Justinus jumped up, followed by Brion, who still ached from sharp pains radiating along his back. 

 

"What brings you to such a state, Father?" Justinus questioned.  "What has happened?"

 

Craigh slipped the key in the lock and pulled the door open.  He entered the dingy cell and pulled Justinus away from Brion.  Planting his hands firmly on his son's shoulders, he directed his gaze straight into the young man's eyes.  Gathering all the deceptive skills he had practiced over the years, he gave his son a look he hoped would be interpreted as fatherly concern. 

 

"Our lives will soon be cut short, Son.  Word spreads that the forces of Spartacus have breached defenses of the city.  They spread like vermin through the streets, killing with impunity all Roman's they find.  They are not known to harm others.  We may yet be spared.  We are not of Roman blood.  The day will come when these rebels will be captured and their followers dealt with harshly.  I make this vow... these two slaves you care for will be under my protection when that day comes.  Their lives will not be forfeit.  In return, we lay claim to being Celt now, and they bear witness to its veracity."

 

Justin pulled away from his father's grip.  He returned to Brion's side.  The lovers shared a look, but no words.  Brion knew it had to be up to Justinus to make a choice regarding his father's mad plan.  It had nothing to do with him being a slave.  It was simply a matter of Justinus needing to be in charge of his father's future.  Brion's eyes told Justinus that he would go along with any decision he made.  Encouraged by Brion's silent support, Justinus turned back to his father.  He knew exactly how he must respond to his father's offer.

 

"Father, your offer arrives too late.  Ethan lies dead already.  He no longer can speak for anyone."

 

Craigh looked down at his son's long-time body slave.  He barely knew the boy, nor did he care a thing about his fate.  It was simply one less slave to help them with their deception.  He looked back up and let his eyes settle on Brion. 

 

"A tragedy in one so young," Craigh claimed, trying to sound regretful.  "But, there is still Cassius's man.  Cassius yet lives when last I saw him, but I fear it is a temporary state.  This man," pointing at Brion, "is free to offer protection in exchange for equal help when fortunes are reversed."

 

Justinus bristled at his father's superior tone, even when begging Brion for help. 

 

"This man carries a name, Father.  It is Brion, a Celt... but not such as you... or I.  He is a man of honor, so I will not ask protection for you from him."

 

"You would see your own father and yourself to the afterlife rather than ask help from this slave?" Craigh bristled.  "I knew you to be the fool... witness your sordid bond with this creature.  Then I leave you to your fate."

 

Craigh turned away from the couple as if to leave them.  They were unaware that he carried the knife he had already used several times this night, inside the folds of his cloak.  As he turned, he pulled it quietly from the sheath on his belt.  In a lightning move, he turned again to face his son, bringing his arm high above his head.  In that instant, Brion saw the light from the torch bounce off the blade. 

 

 "Justinus!" Brion screamed.  He threw himself between father and son.  Despite his injuries from the whip, Brion grabbed hard onto Craigh's arm with both hands.  The blade flew through the air as Craigh lost his grip on it.  A metallic clanging noise filled the room as it bounced off the floor and came to rest under the table.  When Craigh dove down to retrieve his weapon, Brion fell on top of him and wrestled him away from it.  Justinus hadn't seen the knife, but he heard it.  His heart seized in his chest.  He knew his father wasn't fond of him, but he had never expected the man would try to take his life. 

 

The room was almost completely dark again, with the torch Craigh carried now lying on the floor, and the candle from the table snuffed out when it was knocked off during the struggle between the two combatants.  Justinus could hear the labored grunts of Craigh and Brion as they each fought to overpower the other.  Justinus felt more fear than ever before.  Instinctively he knew his father would kill Brion if he got his hands on the knife again.  Skirting the two men, who continued fighting close to the table, Justinus moved around so that he was beside the heavy piece of furniture.  He dropped to his hands and knees and began feeling around.  Time was running out rapidly.  Brion was still badly injured.  Justinus doubted he would be able to fight off the very fit Craigh much longer. 

 

Justinus finally felt what he was searching for.  The handle of the blade was warm to the touch.  He lifted it up to his face so that he could see what he was holding.  He recognized the dagger immediately.  It was a gift given to his father from a friend a few years earlier.  The handle was made of ivory, with ornate carvings.  As far as he knew, his father had only worn it for show.  It was clear that he now intended to use it for a far deadlier purpose.  Justinus reached for the base of the torch lying on the floor.  The flame hadn't died out, and now shone brightly as he picked it up and held it aloft.  For the first time he could clearly see Brion and his father still struggling on the floor.  He held out the knife in front of him.

 

"Father!  Brion!" he shouted. 

 

Something in his voice brought the two adversaries to a halt, each keeping their hold on the other.  They turned their eyes to Justinus, standing in a pool of light from the torch he held above him. 

 

"Brion, release hold on Father.  Father, leave us... or see blade find its home in owner's flesh."

 

Brion loosened his grip at the same time Craigh did the same.  They stood up, facing son and lover.  Craigh took a step toward Justinus.

 

"Do not misjudge intent, Father.  Come no closer.  Leave us to our fate, as we will leave you to yours."

 

Craigh considered his next move.  He was certain he could wrest control of the knife from his son.  He had never seen Justinus as anything other than a weakling.  The boy had even avoided war games his peers seemed to enjoy playing so much when they were young.  But, even if he won back his weapon, Craigh knew he had an even stronger threat in the slave to contend with too.  It would have been so much easier for him to strike a killing blow to the slave during all the confusion, after dispatching his son.  It was too late for surprises now.  If he went after Justinus, the slave would surely stop him before he could succeed in retrieving his weapon.  Craigh, ever the practical man, chose discretion over vain attempt.  He moved away from Brion and stepped towards the door.  He turned back to face his son one last time.

 

"Your choices bring you shame and certain death, but I will not grieve.  You are no loss to me."  He then pointed a finger at Brion.  "Neither will you be a loss to this creature.  He will brag, over rebel campfires, of how he bedded a noble Roman and then discarded him.  Perhaps they will let you live long enough to pass you around, as they would a Roman cunt... for sport, until they tire of you.  Now I will leave you to your fate, as you have requested."

 

With those final words, Craigh turned on his heel and hurried from the room.  Jusinus dropped the knife and the torch.  He was shaking, whether from anger or fear, Brion was not certain.  He quickly gathered the young man into his arms, holding him tightly.  They had little time to waste, but Brion wanted to be certain that Justinus was alright first.  He waited until he felt the tremors easing off.  He then lifted Justinus's face.  He kissed him tenderly.

 

"The gods would be impressed.  You showed great courage, Justinus.  Shame rests only on your father's head," Brion whispered in his lover's ear.  "My heart is yours for the taking," he added, before kissing Justinus again. 

 

Justinus drew in a sharp breath.  His heart beat faster.  If this night was to be his last, at least he knew he'd leave with the love of a good man as a part of his legacy.  As they pulled away, they could hear strange noises from outside their tiny, narrow window for the first time.  It was obvious that the rebels were getting closer to their location.  Justinus refused to panic.  As long as he could spend his last minutes in Brion's arms, he was content with his fate.  Brion, however, had no intention of losing Justinus to anyone, Roman or rebel.  His mind raced.  He knew he was probably safe, but he had to keep Justinus safe too.  He could plead for the young man's life, and they might listen, but it was a risky move.  Then it struck him. 

 

"Your body slave!" he declared. 

 

"What?"

 

"His collar." 

 

Brion picked up the torch and stepped back into the cell.  He went to Ethan's body, now cold to the touch.  He reached for the clasp on the slave collar the young man had worn for years.  He loosened it and pulled the collar off, then walked back to Justinus and held it out.

 

"I know he was friend to you.  He would wish his death to serve purpose.  His collar would mean life for you.  I think he would have it so.  The rebels will not kill either of us.  We then join their cause, until it is safe for you to escape."

 

"And you?"

 

Before Brion could think of an answer, the sounds grew louder.  He pulled Justinus into his arms, but not to hug him as the young Roman expected.  Instead, Brion quickly clasped the collar around Justinus's neck.  It fit perfectly.  Without a word, Brion picked up the key to their cell.  It had been spotted by Brion, falling from Craigh's hand during their struggles.  He pulled Justinus back into the cell, then stuck his hand through the bars and locked the door.  He threw the key onto the table, praying his aim was true.  Grabbing Justinus's arm, he forced his lover to the ground, then joined him.

 

"What madness has come over you?" Justinus begged.

 

"Not madness.  No suspicion of deception will fall on us when the rebels arrive.  No Roman would be locked in this cell. and we both wear the collar.  Few in this city have seen you as son of a Roman citizen.  All we must do is avoid any slaves from the house of Ennuis who might remember you.  We blend in until knowledge is gained for our next move."

 

"And what of Ethan?  He wears no collar."

 

Brion thought quickly.  "We claim he slipped collar for attempt to run to freedom."

 

  
"And what crime is ours for imprisonment?"

 

"Truth shall be our cloak.  We are lovers from different houses, without permission from our masters.  Not an unheard of excuse for whippings and beatings."

 

Brion might have said more, but it was too late for further discussion.  The noises they had been hearing grew much louder and closer.  A minute later, the small room was filled with light from several torches, held in the hands of men who also carried weapons in their other hand.  The men were splattered with crimson red.  Some were dressed in peasant clothing, some in the protective gear of gladiators, and some even wearing remnants of soldier's uniforms.  There were at least half a dozen men now filling the room, all with fierce countenances.  The most discomforting look was on the face of the tallest man.  He seemed to be the leader of the group, especially when he approached the cell door and sought the attention of the men inside in an authoritative voice.

 

"You there," he called to the prisoners.  "Break words and give title to position on this estate.  Then name crime that finds you so ill-treated."

 

Brion got to his feet and turned his back to the rebels to help Justinus up.  Before he could speak, the smaller man standing next to the leader spoke up first.

 

"Agron, open eyes.   These men are injured.  We must free them first, then comes questioning."

 

The man called Agron turned to the smaller man.  His face seemed to soften very slightly.

 

"And how are we to free them?" he questioned.

 

Brion spoke up then.  "The table.  I saw the guard drop the key there when he heard sounds of your arrival."  Brion added flattery for effect.  "He turned pale at thought of meeting with fabled Spartacus and his rebels."

 

"What would he know of our being said rebels?"

 

"All of Rome trembles at thought of seeing Spartacus and his people.  All our people who wear the collar pray to the gods for such a sight."

 

Brion knew he'd hit home.  The man called Agron smiled.  He didn't need to give orders for anyone to use the key to unlock the cell door.  The smaller man already had it in hand and stepped in front of Agron to release the prisoners.   Agron laid his hand on the smaller man's shoulder.

 

"Nasir, find a medicus to tend to their wounds."  He turned to Brion.  "What of this other man, who lies so quiet?" he asked, pointing at Ethan.

 

"The lash has sent him to the afterlife," Justinus responded.

 

"Your companion has tongue to speak."  Agron turned Justinus around, staring at his back.  "Our arrival stalled your turn at the whip?"

 

"It did.  Gratitude!" Justinus answered.

 

"We will break words further after care is delivered.  We still have work to do before day follows night.  Follow Nasir.  He will see you safely to aid.  There is danger in every path this night."

 

Brion and Justinus did as they were told.  Nasir led the way, with another rebel following close behind, as they left the accursed building they had thought would be their last lodging only an hour before.  The night was far from over, but at least they had survived thus far.  The future was still uncertain.  They did not know the fate of anyone they knew... Craigh, Cassius, the family slaves, Ennuis, or his slaves.  Any one of them could cause doubt in their story.  But for now, they still lived.  As long as there was life, there was the hope of survival.

 

 

To be continued...........