- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

An innocent scene between Justinus and Nasir causes a rift between Nasir and Agron, but there is something even more disturbing in the air.  It could possibly put all other concerns aside for the immediate future.

 

 

Nasir stood his ground, refusing to allow Agron's foul temper to intimidate him.  Agron had become more and more irritable ever since Spartacus disappeared from the city.  Nasir had no doubt that Agron knew where their leader was, but he wasn't divulging any information.  This was unusual, because he had always trusted Nasir with everything he knew in the past.  Spartacus had been gone for days now, and all during his absence, Agron felt the pressure of protecting the few remaining Roman citizens who had barely managed to survive the riot.  Nasir had allowed that this was reason enough for Agron to act out of sorts lately, even with him.  It was for this reason that he had been trying to be patient with his hot-tempered lover.  But this last temper flare-up was going too far, and Nasir had had enough.  Now he knew that there was more to Agron's behavior than the stress of a rebellion stalled by warring factions within their ranks.

 

It all stemmed from a silly incident that happened the night before.  Nasir had been training Justinus harder than ever while Lugo, a close friend of Agron's, was training Brion.  Brion appeared to have a natural skill at swordsmanship, and it was obvious to Nasir that Justinus wanted Brion to be equally proud of his abilities too.  His skills were nowhere near as sharp as Brion's, but it didn't deter the young man from trying.  By the time the sun began to set this particular day, both young men were exhausted.  When they returned to the villa in the evening, they found their house empty.  Brion had left the training grounds shortly before they did and must have been detained with important business.  Agron also had not returned yet.  With both their lovers busy elsewhere, the friends decided to wash off the sweat of their labors so they would be fresh for their men when they arrived home.

 

The house, as with most homes owned by wealthy men, had a large bathing pool set up off the atrium, along with a changing room.  The friends made their way there.  In no time at all, they were stripped down to a towel wrapped around their waists.  The custom was to work up a sweat in the caldarium first and then use the strigil to scrape the dirt and sweat from their bodies, before entering the soothing waters of the pool to complete the cleansing.  Ennuis spared no expense, even in his guest houses.  The strigils were made of the finest metal and felt comfortable on the skin.  The water was pure and heated by large pipes running below the marble flooring of the pool.  Nasir and Justinus spent a long time relaxing in the warm waters, letting the tensions of the day drain from their bodies.  When they got out of the water, they stretched out naked on mats that lay side by side to relax and let their bodies dry naturally.  Their casual conversation began to wane as drowsiness overcame them. 

 

The sound of Brion and Agron calling out for them when they entered the house did not wake either of the young men, who had fallen into a deep sleep, either as a result of the day's labors or the relaxing bath.  The guest house was only half as large as the main house, but there were a number of rooms to search to find their missing lovers.  Brion went in one direction, while Agron another.  Unfortunately, it was Agron who checked the bathing rooms first.  The sight that greeted him was far from a welcome one.  In their sleep, the two young friends had turned on their sides, Justinus facing Nasir's back.  Justinus's arm had reached out, and his hand now rested on Nasir's stomach.  A fear, far worse than any felt when facing the enemy, gripped Agron.  His fists clenched.  There was no telling what he would have done, or said, if Brion hadn't appeared behind him at just that moment.

 

"I've found no sign of...."

 

Brion stopped in his tracks.  Agron turned as Brion started to speak, giving him a clear view of what Agron had been staring at.  Without really looking at Agron's face, Brion responded to the sight before him.

 

"I see you've had better luck.  Their day's labors have robbed us of their company.  Should we let them rest or disturb their slumber?"

 

Brion finally looked at Agron.  The smile on his face vanished at the sight.  His friend obviously found no humor in what they were witnessing before them.  Brion was not concerned.  He knew full well that Justinus thought of Nasir as friend, and friend only.  Agron did not appear to feel the same way about Nasir.  Brion had never felt the need to worry about the friendship between his lover and Nasir.  He hastened to reassure Agron.  He laid his hand on Agron's shoulder.

 

"Your face betrays your thoughts, my friend.  Your worry is for naught.  I lay full trust in loyalty of Justinus, as I know you must for Nasir."

 

Agron shrugged Brion's hand off his shoulder. 

 

"I will take my meal elsewhere.  Pray tell Nasir, when he wakes from fevered dreams."

 

Without another word, Agron pushed past Brion and left the room.  Brion felt deep concern over this turn of events.  If such an innocent thing, as Brion knew the scene to be, could anger Agron so deeply, what would knowing the truth about Justinus cause the rebel to feel?  Brion was more certain than ever that he had been right in counseling Justinus not to divulge their secret, even to Nasir.  But for now, he knew he must awaken the friends, and warn Nasir of Agron's reaction to finding them together.  He joined the two men, squatting down to shake them.

 

"Justinus...Nasir...you must rouse yourselves.  We must speak of unpleasant things."

 

It took two attempts before the sleeping men became aware of their surroundings and sat up, rubbing at their eyes. 

 

"Wha...what is happening," Justinus mumbled.  It was then that he realized who had awakened him.  "Brion...why such disquiet on your face?  And did my ears hear words of unpleasant things?  Is it the Romans?"

 

By this time, Nasir was sitting up too, and watching Brion. 

 

"Where is Agron?  If trouble brews within the city, I must find him."

 

"If tongues are silenced, I will give voice to meaning.  Agron and I came upon you, asleep together.  Agron did not take kindly to the sight."

 

Nasir started to interrupt, but Brion held up his hand, silencing the Syrian. 

 

"You lie as a couple, with Justinus's arm embracing you.  I am familiar with this.  His habit is to reach for me in his sleep.  Agron does not know this.  His eyes beheld his lover, naked beside another, with tender touch upon his skin."

 

"I felt no such touch," Nasir stated irritably.  "Nor did I respond to it.  Tell me where he has gone to brood."

 

"He has left the house.  He speaks of taking his evening meal alone.  I am certain a cooler head will prevail.  I advise patience.  The man needs time for reflection."

 

"You judge correctly.  Agron is quick to anger, but sees reason when presented facts.  I will break words with him when he is of a mind to listen."

 

Nasir turned to Justinus.  He could see concern in his friend's expression.

 

"Worry not, my friend.  We will break bread at early light, then continue training."  Nasir turned to Brion.  "Justinus works hard to make you proud.  He is as ready for battle as any of the young men most recently joined to our cause."

 

"Pride is one emotion, among many, I feel for Justinus.  Gratitude for instructing him in skills that may save his life in future."

 

Nasir nodded his acceptance of Brion's appreciation, gathered his discarded towel, and left the couple alone.  Justinus still looked worried, as he too grabbed his towel and covered himself.

 

"You do not question my faithfulness, Brion?"

 

"I am no fool, Justinus.  Your heart is known to me as if my own.  If your heart beat for another, you would speak of it.  Secrets lie heavily on one such as you.  Trust is another emotion I hold close to heart when I think of you."

 

"Pride and trust, Brion?  And do you also know that no other could ever take your place in either thought or deed?  For, it is so.  Agron shall never have cause for jealousy where I am concerned.  Do you believe he will know that to be true before our friendship is broken beyond repair?  It is a thing, I wish to prevent.  Nasir loves Agron as I love you.  Perhaps Nasir must avoid me, if only to ease Agron's mind."

 

"Nasir's loyalty is to Agron, but his mind is his own.  Do not distress yourself.  They will come to an understanding.  Now let us share meal and take to our bed.  When arm next embraces, it will be with me." 

 

That was how the evening ended.  Brion and Justinus retired to their room, but Nasir could not eat or rest.  He spent the entire night waiting for Agron to reappear.  It never happened.   He finally fell asleep, alone in their bed.  When he awoke, there was still no sign of Agron.  Nasir went in search of his lover.  Agron had never stayed away from their bed at any time in the past, unless he was sent out on an undertaking by Spartacus that didn't include Nasir.  After checking to see if Spartacus had returned from his secret mission, and discovering that he had not, Nasir thought he knew where Agron would be.  He was right.  Spartacus trusted no one but Agron and his allies to guard the very few Romans who had miraculously survived the riot.  He felt he could no longer trust Crixus or any of his compatriots.  All those who still lived, including Laeta, were now being guarded inside one of the main buildings in the center of the business district of the city.  Nasir was allowed inside the courtyard by one of the men who recognized him as Agron's 'boy'.  He spotted Agron standing nearby, his eyes staring irritably at Laeta and the others.  His look didn't change when he noticed Nasir striding purposefully towards him.  He started to turn away, as if to leave. 

 

"Agron, pause a moment," Nasir begged.

 

"Spartacus is due upon docks, so I'll greet his return," he responded, starting to move on.

 

Nasir grabbed his arm.  "And I would have much needed words," he answered back.

 

"I yet have none to break," he stated tersely, pulling away and walking off.

 

Nasir had no intention of letting Agron dismiss him.  He followed behind his angry lover.

 

"Is it a common trait among men East of the Rhine to run from a problem?"

 

That stopped Agron in his tracks.  He turned back to Nasir.

 

"No, but I have found that it is a Syrian trait to use words as sweet as honey, that turn to shit when desiring to lie with another."

 

"I have not broken trust with you," Nasir proclaimed.

 

"And I am to believe that you lie naked in the arms of Justinus in absence of his man, and you still stand only as friends?"

 

"As I would believe you... in all things." 

 

This was said with such honesty, that even through the red fog of anger, Agron could see the truth of it.  Shame filled his senses... but he had no time to react, or apologize.  It was at that very moment that his good friend, Donar came rushing in, breathlessly announcing that they had a serious problem.  He quickly explained that Agron was needed at the main gate of the city.  It was not far from where they were, so all three men arrived at the gate quickly.  Word had already spread that there was something afoot, so they had to push through a gathering crowd to reach the gate itself.  Among those gathered were Brion and Justinus.  Agron ignored both as he elbowed his way to the front of the crowd, Nasir and Donar right behind him.  Crixus and Naevia stood at the top of the city wall, looking out towards the main road where Roman soldiers had been spotted approaching from a distance.  

 

"How many crest hill?" Agron shouted up at them.

 

"Thirty, by count.  Perhaps more concealed by dawn's mist," Naevia answered.

 

"Scouts," Nasir surmised.  "Their numbers stand too few for advance."

 

Naevia, ever the provocateur, warned Crixus that their numbers would swell and overtake them if they didn't do something immediately.  Taking his cue from her, he looked down on the still-gathering crowd and urged them to gather weapons and open the gate to attack the small band of soldiers as a warning to Crassus.  Agron protested that it was not a move Spartacus would approve.  When Crixus did not pull back from his goal, even Donar sided with him, but Agron again protested.

 

"You do not lead these people," he reminded Crixus.

 

"Perhaps it is time I should," Crixus shot back. 

 

A voice from in back of the crowd shouted Crixus's name.  It was Spartacus, newly returned.  When he questioned Crixus as to what was happening, Agron quickly answered first, informing Spartacus of what Crixus planned to do with the gate.

 

"I would see it opened as well." 

 

"At last, he falls to fucking reason," Crixus laughed.

 

"You mistake me.  I do not give command to see Crassus's men engaged."

 

"Then what moves purpose?" demanded Crixus.

 

"I would see what remains of our Roman guests released."

 

Reactions to these words were swift.  Most were surprised, some angered.  One.... Caesar... stood to the side, smiling like a cat who caught a bird in flight.  Crixus and Naevia were enraged, and protested.  Spartacus did not back down.  He warned Crixus that he had lost all right to a voice in the matter, then turned to the crowd.  He warned any who did not follow his orders that they would forever be banned from the rebel encampments.  There was nothing more to say.  He turned on his heel and left, ignoring the death glare of his former second-in-command.  He was followed by those he trusted most, including Agron and Nasir.  The crowd slowly dispersed, many shaking their heads in confusion.  Among them were Justinus and Brion.  They hurried back to their house.  This new strategy was completely unexpected.  Brion knew in his heart that changes were coming, and coming rapidly.

 

 

To be continued.................