- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The night after the gathering at the House of Cassius is filled with intrigue and odd feelings coming to the surface. But with the dawn comes unwelcome news for the young Roman, Justinus. Similar news awaits the slave, Brion. Are they fated to meet again, and what becomes of it if that happens?

Meanwhile there is also intrigue and plans being developed in the Rebel encampment. Could this mean that all roads lead to the same end, and the beginning of major changes in the lives of several people?    

The garden was breathtaking, with fruit hanging invitingly from heavily laden vines.  Birds were heard calling out to one another in a chorus of song.  Bees flew from one flower to another, gathering nectar needed to produce sweet honey for the tables of the humans who owned the garden.  A large fountain stood nearby, cascading clear water to the basin below.  In the center of the fountain stood a statue of Bacchus, God of Wine and Intoxication.  Next to that stood a tall, slender man of the finest form, almost godlike in appearance.  He held a bunch of dark purple grapes clutched in his hand.  He stood naked, with the early morning Sun framing his body, outlining all its perfections.  Justinus gasped.  The man was the most beautiful creature he had ever seen. 

 

 

 

As he watched, the mysterious man lifted his other hand to his mouth.  He held a single grape between his fingers.  He slowly plopped it into his mouth.  He began chewing, letting a tiny trickle of the tart juice escape from the corner of his mouth.  His tongue darted out to catch the drop and pull it back inside.  His lips, full and inviting, smacked with pleasure.  Justinus recognized the man's face but couldn't say the name.  Something like a bolt of fear kept him from calling out to the man.  He wanted desperately to call the man by his name, but the word would not form in his throat.  The man continued to deliver one grape after another into his mouth, his lips smacking with each one.  Justinus felt his cock stirring.  He wanted to feel those lips on him.  He wanted.....

 

 

 

"Son, rouse self.  Your father calls for you.  Something stirs him before cock's crow this morning.  Make haste to see what has pricked him so."

 

 

 

Justinus awoke, startled.  His mother stood over him, concern written all over her face.  He was disoriented and flushed.  He could feel his cock hardened against his belly.  He was grateful for the covering of his blanket and nightshirt, which hid his embarrassment.  It took a moment to gather himself.  He realized he had been dreaming, and it still lingered vividly in his memory.  He had been dreaming of the slave named Brion.  Perhaps that was why a subtle sense of dread still lingered from the dream.  If his father knew he felt an attraction for any male slave, let alone one owned by someone else, he would be infuriated.  What's more, if Brion's Dominus knew of it, he had every right to punish his slave if he was of a mind to.  Justinus did not know Cassius well enough to be certain how he would react to such knowledge.  Besides, the fact that he found Brion attractive did not mean the feeling was reciprocated.  Their brief meeting held no special meaning, and yet he had felt a strange connection to the older man. 

 

 

 

Justinus shook his head, as if to wipe away the dream in its entirety.  It was obvious that his mother needed him, so he quickly gathered his bedclothes around him and left his bed.  Assuring his mother that he would dress with haste and see to his father without delay, Ginevra left her son's room.  Justinus did not bother to awaken Ethan in the adjoining room.  He was perfectly capable of choosing his clothing and dressing himself, which he did most days anyway.  Before he left, he did wake the slave up so that he could begin taking on his daily chores.  Justinus knew that his father would punish Ethan severely if he found him sleeping once his son was awake.  After that, he hurried out to find his father.  Craigh was in his office.  His table was cluttered with scrolls and notes.  He looked like a man heavy in thought.  Justinus stood in the doorway and cleared his throat.

 

 

 

"Ah, there you are, Son.  Come... sit.  You are of an age where you must take heed of our businesses.  On the morrow, we are to travel together.  I have important business requiring attention.  I took pause in travelling during troubling times, but have been assured chosen destination is safe, and we will not travel alone.  I broke words with last night's host.  He has similar business and will accompany us on journey."

 

 

 

Justinus was stunned.  He knew his father wished for him to inherit all his businesses someday, but he had never made his son privy to any of his dealings up until now.  Justinus always believed it was because he showed no interest in the businesses.  But now, he could see that his father was only biding his time.  His father was ready now... but Justinus was most assuredly not.  Yet, he still did not feel strong enough to stand up to his father, so when he was directed to take a seat, he did.  The morning hours waned as father proceeded to inform son as to the people he did business with, where they were located, and what kind of dealings he had with them.  Slaves brought them food and drink as Craigh continued to school his son on the family business affairs.  The sun was high in the sky hours later when Craigh finally released Justinus, telling him to make sure his body slave packed enough to cover a fortnight away from home, and reminding him not to say anything to his mother.  Craigh would take care of that.

 

 

 

Justinus walked back to his bedchamber in a daze.  He was still uncertain as to his destination.  His father outlined more than a dozen different financial pursuits... many of them scattered throughout the provinces.  What disturbed him the most was that slavery was one of those financial interests.  Craigh was in partnership with more than one slave trader.  For some reason, this news bothered Justinus a great deal.  He knew of his father's dealings with the import of spices, dyes, and papyrus through the port of Ostia, because he heard his father bragging about it more than once during dinner parties.  He knew his father also owned property that produced goods like wool and mutton to sell at markets.  He had not known of his father's dealings in slaves too.  Another thing he learned was that the family finances were shrinking.  The slave rebellion slowed down trade a great deal.  The family was far from destitute, but it was obvious Craigh did not like the blow to his income one bit.  All he knew about the trip he would begin the next day, was that his father and Cassius were both partnered with the same man of influence and together they planned to discuss how to protect their assets from the rebels.  Craigh had decided that it was high time his son became involved with the business too, and his thinking was that first-hand witnessing of strategy was a good place for his son to begin lesson number one in management.  There was no joy in the thought at all for Justinus.  The only positive thing his father's news did for him was distract him from the dream he woke with in the morning.

 

 

 

****************************************************************

 

 

 

The House of Cassius was in more turmoil than usual.  The leftover mess from the night before had barely been cleared away when Cassius called Brion, his body slave and central overseer to his estate, to his side. 

 

 

 

"Brion, set house to order... then give instructions where needed.  Prepare for short journey.  You will accompany me.  I may require your special talents ."  

 

 

 

Brion experienced the now familiar feeling of distaste at what he thought his Dominus was referring to.  As always, he let nothing of his repugnance show in his demeanor.

 

 

 

"What clothing do you desire packed, Dominus?"

 

 

 

"Nothing of note.  This is business.  That is reason for your attendance.  We leave at morning light for Sinuessa en Valle... there to meet with Ennuis, Aedile of the city.  Little time will be spared for whatever pleasures the city has to offer.  The sooner we return to the safety of Rome, the better."

 

 

 

Brion felt relief.  Cassius spent less and less time demanding that Brion fulfill his sexual desires and more time taking advantage of his business acumen.  Every time Cassius called for one of the younger men to service him, Brion was grateful.  He himself occasionally spent time with a few of the other male slaves in the household that desired him, making sure they knew of the dangers if they were ever caught by Cassius.  Their fear of severe punishment kept them from clinging to him, which was fine with Brion.  He never felt a bond with any of them.  Sex with them was no different than sex with Cassius, except for the fact that he chose it rather than it being forced on him.  Although he enjoyed sex, he was grateful that there was a chance his Dominus would not have time to bed him on this trip.

 

 

 

Cassius's voice cut through Brion's thoughts.  "Don't stand there with mouth agape like roasted pig.  See to necessary duties."

 

 

 

"Yes, Dominus," Brion answered quickly, lowering his head and backing away. 

 

 

 

Brion knew he had much to do before the day ended.  He had to make sure the household would run smoothly in his absence.  Domina would not be home to supervise, nor the Dominus.  Normally, Brion would remain to keep things in order if both were to be gone.  Since this was not the case this time, he needed to assign each of the household slaves their tasks so that nothing would go amiss while all authority was absent.  Brion had been to Sinuessa before with Cassius and knew that the one-hundred-ninety kilometer journey would take at least four days to complete, and another four days back.  If they returned to a house in disarray, everyone, including Brion, would pay dearly.  With that thought in mind, he began the job of making sure that everyone knew what was expected of them.  Once that was done, he spent the rest of the evening packing trunks with everything he knew Cassius would want or need.  Lastly, he did the same for his things, which filled a trunk less than a quarter the size of the Dominus.

 

 

 

Brion finally completed all his work.  After seeing to Cassius, he was allowed to leave, retiring to his own small room.  Brion was exhausted.  It had been a busy day.  He fully expected to sleep instantly as his head hit the pillow, a luxury only a few chosen slaves were allowed in the estate.  He was surprised to find himself unable to relax enough to fall asleep.  He tried to clear his mind of all concerns.  It usually helped him on restless nights like this.  Brion finally felt himself drifting off, when a sudden image of the young Roman he met the night before crossed his mind.  He recalled the young man saying his name was Justinus. 

 

 

 

Brion sat bolt upright in his bed.  Of all the people that should come to mind, Justinus was one of the last ones he should be thinking of.  He was a Roman, and the son of a man hated by Brion's people.  It did not matter one iota that he appeared to be amiable and intelligent.  It certainly did not matter that he was extraordinarily attractive either.  He could never matter to someone like Brion.  They were from two entirely different worlds... two worlds that would never join in any way that was positive or life-affirming.  Doing his best to abandon any more thoughts of Justinus, Brion settled back onto his bed.  It was difficult, but he finally fell asleep.  If he had known what was waiting for him with the rise of the morning Sun, he might not have slept at all.

 

 

 

**********************************************************************

 

 

 

Spartacus stood at the table in the center of the main tent used by the rebel leaders as their headquarters.  Crixus and Gannicus stood nearby as Spartacus pushed a token, representing the rebel army across the map laid out on the table.  The piece landed along the Southern coast, at least six or seven days march from where they were now encamped.  Spartacus remembered a city with high walls all around, and the sea at its back being mentioned by one of the escaped slaves named Diotimos.  His theory was that moving their ever-growing forces so far away from where they now camped would exhaust the soldiers being sent directly from Rome under the command of Marcus Crassus and diminish their supplies, making them more vulnerable.  Protest by Crixus that the rebel forces would be just as exhausted was met with reminders that they would have the entire city to replenish their energy, and protect them from the coming Winter.  All he needed was inside information on the defenses of the city, and ways of entering without discovery. 

 

 

 

A moment later, Agron entered the tent.  He had Diotimos in hand and pushed him forward.  The poor man was nervous, not knowing what the great leader would want from him.  Spartacus quickly dispelled his fears.  When questioned, the runaway slave informed Spartacus and his Generals of the two gates into the city... the main gate facing away from the sea and the other facing the mountains at their back, which were nearly impassable during the Winter months.  The only real problem was getting anyone inside the city, which was vital because it was locked up tight every evening with a thick wooden gate that was heavily guarded all night.  The walls were also heavily guarded which made overtaking the city by surprise an impossible task.  Even trickier was learning from Diotimos that anyone entering the city had to give over their weapons to the guards, who kept them stored until their owners left.  This would prevent any advance infiltrators from using their weapons to overtake the guards at the gate and raise the heavy door to allow entry by the rebel forces.

 

 

 

They were about to abandon plans for the city, when Gannicus spoke up.  After earning his freedom as a gladiator, he had traveled many places, including Sinuessa.  There he had become friends with a Roman blacksmith named Attius.  With enough coin offered, his friend would forge weapons for any rebel who was able to enter the city without being noticed.  When the others expressed doubt because the man was Roman, Gannicus assured them that Attius felt no special loyalty to anything but coin.  Their next problem would be in gaining entry to the city.  Once again, Diotimos was of help.  He gave them the name of his former Dominus so that they could claim a meeting with the man if questioned by the gate guards.  His Dominus held some sway within the city.  With plans now worked out, all that was left was to set them in motion. 

 

 

 

Agron returned to the tent he shared with his lover, Nasir.  Before the meeting ended, Spartacus assigned the task of spreading the word that camp was to break at dawn's light to Agron.  His first thought was to enlist Nasir to help him, as no one was better at organization than his beloved Syrian.  Spartacus, Gannicus, and Crixus would move more swiftly ahead of all the others, unencumbered by women, children, and the elderly who had joined their cause.  The three men would scout the area until they knew that the rest of their people were less than an hour's march away.  The three men knew they would have to enter the city in the daytime, but wait until after dark, when the streets were deserted, to attempt to raise the gate.  Their people had to be ready to invade the city the moment the gate went up.  The only way to take control of the city was to strike fast and hard... any warning quashed before it could be given. 

 

 

 

Nasir arrived to join Agron shortly after.  Agron brought him up to date on plans for Sinuessa.  The couple got to work immediately, spreading the word quickly among the others.  What little property the runaway slaves possessed was gathered together once again and prepared for another move.  It was not a thing of joy for many, who found being constantly on the move a strain, but word also spread of where they were going and why.  The thought of having an entire city to inhabit, especially with Winter showing its face already, was adequate incentive to keep the grumbling down.  Once they completed their job, the couple retired to their own tent together.  It took little time for them to prepare everything for departure.  They had become skilled at the task since becoming a couple.  Once the tent was struck in the morning, they would be on their way at the head of the caravan of people and animals.  This was nothing new to them. 

 

 

 

Although picking up stakes and relocating had become second nature to the couple, they still always felt a sense of excitability when it happened.  They learned long ago that there was only one way for them to relax enough to sleep through the night.  Tonight would be no different.  When all but one candle was extinguished and they lay together on their bedding, the lovers did what came naturally to them now.  Their bodies were totally in tune with one another.  They easily brought each other to such heights of pleasure that the release, when it finally came, drained them of all the nervous energy inside them.  When Agron heard Nasir give out a muffled hiss as he let go of his seed, he allowed himself the same luxury, flooding his lover's body with warmth.  After, they slept soundly, Agron's arm enfolding Nasir close to his heart in a protective gesture.  They had a long journey ahead of them, and hopefully a fully fledged battle at the end of it.  They would need all the rest they could get this night.

 

 

 

*****************************************************************

 

 

 

Justinus woke early after another night of restless dreaming.  The household was barely stirring as his body slave, Ethan, made certain that everything was ready for their journey.  According to Craigh, they were to meet with Cassius and his entourage just outside the city, and they would all travel together in a single band.  There was protection in numbers.  Both Cassius and Craigh had arranged for ex-soldiers to accompany them as guards, plus they would be joined by several of their slaves to attend to their needs during the trip.  Justinus was told that if all went well, and they did not run into any trouble, they would reach their destination within four days time.  The young man was grateful.  The only time he traveled in the past was during family holidays, often unattended by his father but enjoyed a great deal by his mother.  They had visited some of the most popular thermal baths, a luxury only the wealthier could afford.  This trip would be nothing like that.  He would be fraught with anxiety the entire time, rather than relaxed and pampered.

 

 

 

An hour later, Craigh, Justinus, Ethan, Agape (Craigh's Greek body slave), and two kitchen slaves said their goodbyes and were on their way.  Ginevra was not happy to see her only child leaving the safety of Rome, but she knew she had no say in the matter.  All she could do was pray to the gods that he would return to her safely.  As they left their villa, they were accompanied by a half dozen paid guards, including the driver of their carriage and supply cart.  It wasn't long before they spotted the group waiting for them at the beginning of the road they would travel.  When Justinus leaned forward to take a peek out the carriage door as his father opened it to greet Cassius, he saw that the boorish man had even more guards... at least ten men in uniforms and a number of slaves traveling by foot. 

 

 

 

The young Roman was about to settle back into his seat when he caught sight of a tall figure coming from around the back of Cassius's carriage.  He drew in a sharp breath.  It didn't seem possible, but it was indeed the face and figure of the man who had haunted his dreams for two nights running.  He had not expected to ever see the slave again.  He could not explain it, but he immediately felt flushed, as though he had stepped into one of the hot baths that were so popular.  But that feeling was nothing compared to his reaction when the slave, Brion, suddenly looked in his direction and their eyes met.  It was less than five seconds before Brion's eyes dropped away, but in that instant Justinus saw something akin to seduction in the man's eyes.  Either that, or it was wishful thinking on his part, Justinus decided.  He waited to see if Brion would look at him again, but it didn't happen.  Brion waited with his back to Craigh's carriage until his Dominus and Craigh finished talking and then took his place in the carriage, following Cassius.  When Craigh also returned to his carriage, the small band of travelers began their trek.  Justinus's emotions were now in turmoil.  He had not wanted to take this trip, but that was before he knew that Brion would be in the party.  What would four days passage be like so close to the object of his fascination?

 

 

 

 

 

To be continued.........................