- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Brion and Justinus have fallen in love, but being in Sinuessa has prevented any chance to enjoy each other's company.  And now they learn their visit there will be extended, making them even more miserable.  Then a plan to bring them together is set in motion... which sets in motion far more than they had counted on.  But is the activity outside the city gates going to save or destroy them?

 

Brion felt fear gripping his guts, but nothing was going to stop him.  How could he stop, now that he'd had a taste of Justinus?  He forced himself to concentrate on his memory from three nights before.  He knew he would have the courage he needed if he just kept reliving that brief hour.  It all started with that kiss.  He had met with Justinus on that final night of their journey to Sinuessa with no intention of doing anything more than having an enjoyable conversation with the Roman lad.  That was all they had done the previous three nights.  This night, however, was different.   They were both caught off-guard by a kiss that just seemed to happen... without planning, as if the Fates were pulling their strings.  Whether it was their own doing, or the gods were playing games with them, they delighted in the feeling the kiss gave them.  Neither man pulled away from what was happening.  Actually, instead of running to the safety of the rules they had always lived by, they happily broke the cardinal rule forbidding relations between a Roman and another man's slave, without his express permission. 

 

 

 

Even now Brion could feel and taste Justinus.  Rather than returning to camp with barely more than an hour before daybreak, the couple began removing their clothing, oblivious to the chill night air.  They had little on, so it only took seconds to be as naked as the day they were born.  Each stood admiring the other's form, taking in the beauty they saw before them.  Brion pulled the blanket back around their bodies, drawing them close together.  He bent his head and captured Justinus's lips for the second time.  He was gentler this time, slowly working his lips to gain entry for his tongue to taste his lover's mouth.  Justinus let out a tiny whimper.  He let his arms wrap around Brion's waist, his hands grabbing the taller man's firm buttocks.  Brion felt his cock spring to life full force.  He had never felt this aroused so quickly before.  He deserted Justinus's mouth so that he could taste more of this magnificent creature he held in his arms.   He nibbled gently and licked at all the tiny nooks and crannies of the young man's jawline, throat, neck, and shoulders.  Justinus threw his head back, giving Brion better access for his attentions.  Brion was happy to oblige.

 

 

 

The lovers sank to the ground as one.  Justinus stretched out prone on the large blanket.  Brion took up a position on his knees, encasing Justinus's legs between his own.  His mouth went to work again, tasting the sweet flesh of Justinus's chest.  He sucked on his lover's nipples, taking each in turn between his teeth and biting down gently until he heard Justinus draw in his breath sharply.  Justinus began to squirm.  All the sensations Brian wrested from him were beginning to drive him mad with desire.  He felt cheated.  He wanted to taste the same pleasures as Brion.  His fingers had been tweaking Brion's nipples all the while his own body was being assaulted so deliciously, but now his hands moved down to a far more enticing target.  Brion's engorged cock lay like a rock-hard pillar against Justinus's groin.  The sensation of Brion's manhood resting on his own sent shivers along his spine.  Justinus grabbed a handful of the beautiful prize, along with his own.  He roused them both even further than they already were, pumping them together as a single unit.  Brion's breathing became labored with the effort to delay his release. 

 

 

 

"Cease arousal, or I shall be lost," Brion begged, his hand reaching to still Justinus's movements.

 

 

 

Justinus rose up on his elbows.  "You tire of me so quickly?"

 

 

 

Brion fell upon Justinus's lips again, kissing him with fierce determination.

 

 

 

"My desire does not wane.  It is more powerful than common sense demands.  I want to possess you fully, young Roman, but have no wish to cause you pain."

 

 

 

Justinus suddenly thought he understood.  Brion probably believed him to be a virgin.  He was unaware of the past relationship he shared with his own body slave, Ethan.  This was no time to be coy.  He knew what he needed from Brion, just as he was aware that Brion wanted to provide for his needs.

 

 

 

"The road you wish to travel has been visited before.  I spoke truth when saying I was no child.  I've not spoken of this with any other, but my heart is open to your scrutiny.  Do you still claim desire for me, knowing this?"

 

 

 

Brion's eyes took in the youthful face below him.  Justinus had an innocence about him that translated into a virginal being.  Brion hesitated for a moment.  What if the young man was only claiming experience in order to avoid scaring him away from going too far?  But in the next moment, he knew it didn't matter.  One thing he was certain of, Justinus wanted him as much as he wanted Justinus.  He would move carefully, but he would take the young Roman as his own this very night whether he be truly virgin or not.  Brion changed his position, setting first one knee and then the other between Justinus's legs.

 

 

 

"Spread legs and lift them.  I have no oil to ease way, but I would have you well prepared to lessen discomfort."

 

 

 

It was all Justinus wanted to hear.  He spread his legs out, bending them at the knees.  He lifted his buttocks so that Brion could easily take control of the portal to his body.  Brion slathered the entryway with spit, breaching it with one, then two, then three fingers until he felt the muscles relaxing.  He quickly saw that Justinus was honest with him.  His reactions to Brion's ministrations were not those of someone untouched.  He knew what he was doing, and what was being done to him.  And he was loving every second of it.  When Brion was certain Justinus was ready for him, he placed his manhood where his fingers had been.  He lingered there for a minute, watching Justinus's face.  Justinus grabbed Brion's thighs, urging him on.  Brion bent down and kissed Justinus softly... then he took him, an inch at a time.  Each inch was punctuated with deeper kisses.  Justinus moaned into Brion's mouth.  When Brion was completely seated inside, he paused.  The lovers kissed many more times, then they began a rhythm... a dance as old as time.  Like waves on a beach, Brion rode the tide in and out, over and over again.   Justinus felt his body reacting to every movement, straining towards something earth shattering, but still just out of reach.  Brion's heart beat like a mad drummer inside his chest, as he felt his body growing tenser with each thrust into the heart of his exquisite lover.

 

 

 

They stifled the sounds of their lovemaking, fearful of discovery, but they could not stifle their emotions.  For each, this didn't feel like something familiar.  This was on a level unlike anything they had experienced before.  They were not just making love with their bodies, but with their hearts.  When the pressure built to its apex, they came together in a single blinding flash, spilling their seed at the same time.  Brion fell exhausted onto Justinus's tired body.  He gathered the young Roman's head in his hands and buried his face in his neck, his rapid breaths tickling Justinus's skin.  They lay like that for what seemed forever, until the cold and lightening sky roused them from their lethargy.  They both knew that they had tempted fate, and would be discovered if they did not return to camp right away.  Regretfully, they used leaves to clean themselves as best they could and quickly threw their clothes back on.  By some miracle, they both made it safely back to their tents without incident.  Their only regret was that they had no time to talk about what had just happened.  It was their last night of encampment.  The next evening saw them all safely within the walls of Sinuessa.  Now, three days later, they still hadn't had the chance to talk without risking exposure.  The most they could share were glances... but those said a lot.  Their eyes spoke a language no one else could understand.  But this afternoon, Brion was determined to meet with Justinus privately.  They had been told that their stay would be longer than expected and they wouldn't be on the road back to Rome for at least another week.  Brion couldn't wait that long to spend alone time with Justinus again.  He had a plan.  All he could do was pray that it worked.

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

Agron scanned the valley on the other side of the high hills surrounding the coastal city of Sinuessa en Valle.  Nasir stood close beside him.  Lugo, Naevia, and Saxa were only a few feet away from the couple.  He saw the mass of humanity gathered below where they stood, all waiting for the sun to finally set.  Some of their people fidgeted nervously in fear of what was coming.  Others were fatalistic about their futures.  They already knew they had cast their lot with Spartacus and could never go back to their old lives.  Most had no desire to, even if death was their reward for the choices they had made.  All were anxious for this night to be over.  By the time the Sun rose to lighten the skies again, they would either be living in relative comfort and safety or lie dead or captured within the walls of the city.  Now they waited.  Agron would give them word of when to move towards the city gates as soon as he heard from Crixus.  No one knew the fate of their leaders, who were already within the city walls.  They had no choice, however, but to be patient.  No move could be made without word from the men inside.  Agron turned back to scour the area around the large city.  Suddenly, the sound from the massive gate, guarding the city, could be heard carried on the wind from below.  It was being slowly lowered for the night. 

 

 

 

"The gate lowers before disgorging Crixus," Nasir told Agron, nervously.  "What purpose have we without knowledge of their fates?"

 

 

 

Agron was about to answer when he spotted movement half way down the side of the hill. 

 

 

 

"Hold concern and still voice," he ordered, squatting low to the ground and pulling Nasir down with him.  "Someone comes this way."

 

 

 

Nasir peeked over the edge of the embankment of the hill.  Sure enough, he could see that a figure was climbing towards the very spot they stood at.  In case the figure belonged to a straggler taking the wrong way home from the city, both men had their weapons firmly in hand.  They did not have long to wait before they finally recognized the muscular form of their compatriot, Crixus.  He had apparently left the city in the company of others, avoiding being spotted by Agron or Nasir, who were on the lookout for a single man.  By the time Crixus's face appeared over the ridge, he was out of breath from the long climb.  Catching his breath quickly, he first embraced Naevia and then turned to the others.  He made short work informing them of the progress of their scouting efforts within the city.  He told them of their success in getting help from the Roman, Attius, in forging swords to replace ones turned in upon entry at the gate.  He let them know of the plans Spartacus devised for raising the gate.  All they had to do now was slip down the hill under cover of darkness, undetected, so that they would be ready to enter the city the moment the gate lifted.  When Crixus finished, they joined the others and quickly spread word of their coming movements.  Everyone knew what was expected of them.  They were prepared to move as silently as snakes slithering through underbrush, to reach their destination as soon as the order was given.  It was now simply a matter of time.

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

Ennius's property was vast.  He owned several houses, all clustered together on top of the low cliff facing the sea on one side and the city on the other.  The largest building was his own private residence, shared with his wife, Laeta.  Another one was a storehouse where various kinds of supplies were kept.  Another smaller building housed his private office.  There was another small building that housed new slaves until they were deemed fit for the duties they were purchased for.  It also contained a couple of rooms used for slaves being punished for their crimes.  His compound also had two buildings built exactly like his residence, only much smaller.  Both were used as guest houses for visiting dignitaries, friends, business acquaintances, and family.  Both of these houses were now being occupied... one by Cassius and his people, the other by Craigh and his.  It was there that Brion hoped to find Justinus alone for the first time since they had arrived in Sinuessa.

 

 

 

Brion had been on the lookout for his chance the moment Cassius told him of a meeting at Ennuis's office at the docks this very afternoon after the midday meal.  He expected Brion to accompany him, but Brion had other plans.  Almost immediately after the meal, Brion made certain that Cassius was nearby when he began vomiting profusely.  His skin was cold and clammy and his face an ashen color.  He was a learned man, who knew exactly what kind of plant he needed to ingest in order to disrupt his digestive system temporarily.  Making certain to ingest a safe amount of the toxic plant, which would give him the appearance of a very sick man, probably suffering from food poisoning, and yet not make him ill for long, Brion set his plan in motion.  He already knew that Justinus would not be attending the meeting with Cassius and Craigh.  He had overheard Justinus telling his father that he was suffering a terrible headache right after their morning meal, held in the great dining hall of Ennuis's home.  Craigh was obviously angry at his son for missing another of their business meetings, the second one so far, but relented.   He knew he still had a week to teach his son lessons on how to conduct business.

 

 

 

For Brion, Justinus's headache was welcome news.  It meant that he would stay inside the small house they occupied next to the one Brion stayed in with Cassius.  A short path between the two buildings connected the two abodes, with an entryway for each.  Brion knew that all the servants in both houses should be either napping, working, or with their Dominus.  If he was right, Justinus would be either alone or with his body slave.  It was a chance he was willing to take.  After the entourage, consisting of Cassius, Craigh, and several of Ennuis's slaves to accompany and guide his guests, had left to meet with the man himself, Brion stood by waiting.  He didn't want to rush next door too quickly, in case someone forgot something and returned unexpectedly.  It wasn't easy being patient.  Eventually, Brion could not wait any longer.  He gathered his courage and left the safety of his own room to cross the barrier between he and his lover.

 

 

 

Justinus sat on the cushions of the couch in the room assigned to him by his father.  He was feeling morose, but not from the imaginary headache he claimed to endure.  His normal cheerfulness was gone.  He hated being with his father on this trip.  The only blessing had been the time he was able to spend with the slave, Brion.  That tiny glimmer of happiness ended the moment they entered the city walls of Sinuessa.  Here, the two of them were kept apart, even though they were only yards from each other.  Brion had been kept busy by his work for his Dominus, while Justinus stayed busy doing his best to avoid working with his father.  Of course he caught glimpses of Brion during meals when they all got together in their host's dwelling.  Those sightings only made Justinus long for Brion's touch more than he ever thought possible.  It was almost worse seeing him those few times, because he knew that was all he would have.  He had sunk even deeper into a depression when he learned they would extend their stay in the city by a week.  He had been holding on to the knowledge that they could renew their late-night trysts on the way back to Rome, and now that was delayed.  Justinus was miserable.  He wouldn't even let Ethan stay in his room.  He wanted to see nobody... nobody but Brion.

 

 

 

As if the gods had heard his wish and decided to grant it, Justinus heard footsteps approaching his room.  Moments later he heard a soft knock on the outside wall where heavy curtains provided privacy to his room.  His first thought was that his father had returned, or Ethan wanted entry to give him a message from his father.  Neither thought was welcome.  The knock came again, but this time he heard a voice calling his name... a most welcome sound to gladden his heart.

 

 

 

"Enter!" he called out.

 

 

 

Justinus heart quickened.  Any fears he should have had over what could happen to either of them if they were caught, vanished before they formed.  Seeing Brion part the curtains and step through them was exactly what he had hoped for.  In an instant, he was wrapped in Brion's arms.

 

 

 

"Apologies, Justinus.  My head knows the risk I take for both our sake's, but my heart cared not.  If it is your will that I turn back, I will do so immediately."

 

 

 

"Turn from me, and my heart shall cease its beating," Justinus answered. 

 

 

 

He pulled Brion's head down so that he could reach the lips he'd dreamed about for three days and nights.  Their kiss was only the start of a fire that burned like the lava of an erupting volcano.  They could no more stop themselves from making love again than they could stop the tides from rising and falling on the shores.  When their passion was spent, they rested peacefully in each other's arms and talked of a life unfettered by rules and class divisions... of a life far away where no one knew of their past.  As the hours passed, they talked on and on, never tiring of hearing each other's voices or thoughts.  Then they made love again, and without expecting it, they fell asleep holding tight to each other.  They were blissfully unaware when the Sun began to set, or that Ennuis, Cassius, and Craigh had returned to the estate, as all citizens must when the gate was lowered and the entire city was on lockdown during these troubling times with the rebels on the loose.  They slept on, not knowing that the three businessmen had gone straight to Ennuis's office to further discuss their affairs and share cups of wine while waiting for the evening meal to be ready.  They knew nothing when Ethan appeared at the door of Justinus's room and called out to him.

 

 

 

"Dominus, your father has returned.  Have you need of my help before the supper hour?"

 

 

 

When he got no answer, Ethan felt concern, knowing that Justinus was unwell earlier in the day.  He quietly pulled the heavy doorway curtain aside.  His loud gasp of surprise woke the sleeping lovers.  Brion and Justinus sprung up from the bed and faced their intruder.  Ethan backed up, entangling himself in the thick cloth and nearly losing his balance.

 

 

 

"Apologies, Dominus!  I did not know!"  Ethan's voice was full of distress.

 

 

 

"Ethan, Enter!" Justinus ordered.  "I will answer the concerns your eyes have forced upon you."

 

 

 

It was not an easy task for Justinus to explain his relationship with Brion to Ethan.  His childhood companion knew him better than anyone, but he had no clue that Justinus had another lover, least of all another slave.  Even less believable was the fact it was a slave from a different household.  Ethan now understood why Justinus no longer wanted to share his bed with him.  He felt a pang of jealousy, but far more distressing was the fear of someone else finding out their secret.  Without thinking about his place, and with anxiety coloring his tone, Ethan responded to his master by reverting to their old familiar ways.

 

 

 

"Apologies for my words, Justinus, but your father's wrath will know no boundaries.  Forgiveness might never come if he learns of this.  Have such thoughts not given you cause for discretion?"  He then turned to Brion, who had quickly redressed in his subligaria and now stood next to his lover.  "And you, slave, care you not for my Master's well being... or your own life?"

 

 

 

Brion's hand rested on Justinus's shoulder as he sat on the disheveled bed, too stunned by the turn of events to move.

 

 

 

"I care for nothing more than his well being.  The mistake was mine.  I will take my leave quickly.  None shall be the wiser.  Only your loosened tongue can betray us now," Brion challenged.

 

 

 

"Best you slip from sight like the ghosts of ancient dead, or forfeit your life.  My life also hangs in balance over my knowledge.  My tongue will remain silent."

 

 

 

Justinus finally found his strength returning, his fears for Brion's safety filling him with purpose.  He rose from the bed and wrapped his arms around Brion's neck pulling his face down to him.

 

 

 

"Leave us now, Brion.  Ethan is friend to me.  He will not betray us, in word or deed."

 

 

 

The lovers frowned.  This was not how they wanted to end their evening together.  They began to kiss... one last kiss to hold them until they could be together again.  It was a mistake.  Without warning, the curtains were parted again, and this time Craigh stood there.  He pushed Ethan out of his way.  He was used to shoving slaves aside if they blocked his view.  He was in a hurry to see if his son had improved enough to join them for supper.  He was about to inquire into Justinus's health, when he stopped dead in his tracks.  The sight before him was beyond his imagination!  His son stood in the embrace of Cassius's slave, their lips upon one another!  Craigh's face turned purple.  Rage, as he had never experienced before, boiled inside him.  He turned on his heel without a word and rushed from the room.  The Roman, and two slaves left behind, felt as though the earth had opened up and dropped them into a deep hole.  There was nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, and nowhere safe.  The world they had known was over.

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

Justinus blanched.  With each blow of the whip on Brion's back, his heart stopped.  He wanted to faint so that the images would disappear, but fate was not so kind.  Ethan had already been whipped so many times that he was hanging on to life by the most slender of threads.  Justinus was spared the whip, but his father had beat him until he bled, his mouth swollen, and an eye puffed almost to closing.  But that was not as bad as watching Brion's suffering.  He would have gladly taken Brion's whiplashes for himself if he could have.  Yet Justinus knew this was not their worst punishment.  When Craigh returned to his room with Cassius and guards in tow, the two men announced that the whip was only a taste of their punishment.  The two slaves would be crucified in the town square in the morning as a warning to other slaves who thought they could indulge in breaking the rules of their masters.  As for Justinus, he would be returned home in shame immediately, after being forced to witness the event, and stripped of his position as heir to the family fortunes.  Craigh took sick pleasure in telling his son that he would return to Rome later, set aside his wife, and remarry in hopes of being provided a new heir. 

 

 

 

Brion felt the lash bite deeply into the skin on his naked back one last time as blessed darkness overcame him.  As he slipped into unconsciousness, he felt a momentary sense of satisfaction.  His mouth ached from clenching his teeth so hard they almost cracked, but he had never let a scream escape from him.  Going second before the lash was meant to instill terror in him as he watched the young Ethan suffering blow after blow, each one wrenching more blood-curdling screams from the innocent bystander as they fell.  What his tormentors hadn't considered was that the guard who was tasked with meting out the punishment would grow slightly weaker with each blow.  Fearing for himself, the guard put on a good show of striking hard, but each lash was a tiny bit less forceful than the one before.  The guard was grateful when Brion finally passed out.  His arm fell gladly to his side as he stepped away from the dangling body.

 

 

 

"Not such a pretty sight any longer?" Craigh sneered at his son.

 

 

 

A guard held tight to Justinus's arms, forcing him to face the center of the room where the lashing was being meted out.  There was dried blood throughout the area where the two posts stood rooted to the floor of the tiny room.  It was obvious the room was used for this same purpose many times before.  Justinus felt his hatred for his father grow like a cancer in his soul.  He would have gladly plunged a knife into Craigh's heart if he could have at that moment.  All he could do was stand helplessly by as Cassius and his father ordered the three guards in the room to remove Brion, Ethan, and himself to another room to await morning light.  He was led away by his guard, followed by the other two guards dragging the unconscious bodies of the two slaves.  They were thrown unceremoniously into an even smaller room with locked bars to keep them in.  The guards gave the three men one final look of disdain and walked away. 

 

 

 

Justinus hurried over to Brion's side and fell to his knees.  Gathering Brion's head in his lap, he let the tears flow as he stroked his lover's matted hair.  He remained like this for some time.  Finally, after what seemed like a lifetime, Brion began to stir.  He groaned... a welcome sound to Justinus, proving his lover still lived... and slowly opened his eyes.  His vision cleared, and he saw Justinus staring down at him, fear and worry contorting his beautiful face.  He moved like a man of ancient years, each gesture causing him to wince in pain.  He was finally able to sit upright with Justinus's help.  The room they were in was devoid of all furnishings, with not even a rag to staunch the trickling blood slowly caking on Brion's back.  Brion gently touched Justinus's swollen cheek. 

 

 

 

"He hurt you!"

 

 

 

"Gods, Brion!  My injuries are of no consequence.  They've ripped flesh from back, and yet thought turns to me?  I vow to the gods, I will kill him someday for what he has done this night."

 

 

 

"I still breathe, nor did they break me.  But what of your body slave?  He took brunt of the guard's strength."

 

 

 

It was the first time Justinus thought of Ethan.  His anguish over Brion's suffering had consumed him.  He now crawled over to the corner where Ethan lay in a heap on the floor.  He turned his childhood companion over.  Ethan did not appear to be breathing.  He bent an ear to Ethan's chest.  He heard nothing.  He placed his hand over Ethan's mouth and nose.  He felt nothing.  Ethan's eyes were open, but Justinus saw no life in them.  He slowly closed his old friend's eyelids.  There would be no crucifixion for Ethan.  The whip had done its job.  The slave was dead.  Justinus laid Ethan's head carefully back down to the ground.

 

 

 

"Farewell, dear friend.  I will carry the guilt of your passing to my grave.  You did not deserve such a fate, but it will be avenged," he whispered.

 

 

 

Justinus crawled back to Brion, who opened his arms to gather the stricken lad into what little comfort he could offer him.  There was little they could say to each other now.  The night would be long, with only another death waiting for them in the morning.  Justinus wished they would take his life too.  But he knew all he could do was live so that he could keep his promise to avenge the death of the man he cared for like a brother, and the man he loved more than his own life.  Once that was done, he would find a way to join Brion in the afterlife, if the Fates so chose for him.

 

 

 

Yet as they sat in the darkening room while the hour grew later, they were unaware that Fate had other plans for them both... plans that would alter their life beyond their imagining. 

 

 

To be continued.........