- Text Size +

CHAPTER 10: DISAPPROVAL

 

BEN & MICHAEL’S

 

MICHAEL

 

I gape at Ben and want to say something but right now I have a dinner party to salvage and head back to the dining room.  “I’m so sorry everyone but…”

 

Matthew glares at me.  “Well at least you apologised.  Didn’t think you would.”  I look at him confused.

 

“Of course I’m going to apologise for not being able to feed you. What kind of host would I be if I didn’t?”  I chuckle but start to feel uncomfortable when he doesn’t join in…in fact nobody does.

 

“I meant about the comments you made about that young man who won the competition. It wasn’t your place and you came across like a bitchy queen.”  Matthew scowls at me.  “So what’s the problem with the food?”

 

I look at Ben who in turn looks away.  “There’s a problem with the oven so Emmett had to go and find some…”

 

“Well that does it for me then.  I can eat at home with a takeaway of my choice. No offence guys.  Goodnight Michael.  Ben if you want to catch up next week for that coffee give me a call, okay?”  Matthew kisses his cheek and heads out and is soon followed by the rest of the table, leaving Ben and I facing each other in silence.

 

Ben sighs heavily, rubs his temple and drains the rest of his glass before gathering the plates.  “Well if Emmett thinks he’s being paid for tonight he can think again!  And what happened to Brian? I’ll bet he went to get his…”  The crashing sound of the plates make me jump.

 

“You really don’t get it, do you?!  They left because of your behaviour!  You wanted this dinner so much, you fucking clean up!”  Ben snaps and stalks away.

 

CAFÉ DU JOUR

 

CARL

 

Well she cleans up real nice and she’s got a lovely smile.  I’m distracted by all the nice things about her that I hadn’t realised she’d asked a question.

 

“Carl?”  She repeats.  “Did you really see what you said you saw?”  I frown.  “You know about Justin?”

 

“Oh!  Yes I did.  Please don’t take this the wrong way…” I pause.  “But your son came across as…”

 

“A pretentious dick?”  She suggests scooping up some pate.  “Christ this stuff is good.”

 

“You really are something you know and that’s a good thing.”  I chuckle.  “When Slick…”

 

“Slick?  Has she been talking about me?”  She looks nervous and a little pissed.

 

“Yes but nothing bad. She just told me where you worked after I asked her.”  She looks curious and waves her hand for me to continue.  “We were covering a mur…crime just off Bakers Place when I first saw you. Then a couple of days later, I saw you and Slick talking and asked her your name…”

 

“Ah I see and how do you know Slick?”

 

“How everyone knows her…cars.  I have a little project in my lock up that she helped find and we’ve been friends since.”  I smile at the memory of Slick calling me to say she’s found the car of my dreams, my ear was ringing for about an hour afterwards.

 

“And how long have you been doing this project?  And do you need a grease monkey?”

 

“On and off about 12 years and I’d love to see how good you are with a wrench.”

 

JUSTIN’S APARTMENT – LOUNGE

 

JUSTIN

 

“Brian, if you don’t want to tell anyone about us, it’s fine.”  The room goes quiet and Brian sighs heavily.  “Honestly its fine, I’m…”

 

“It’s not that I don’t want to tell anyone and I agree that we should let Debs know first.”  He sighs again.  “It’s just if we go to the diner being…”

 

“Excuse me but have you ever known me to come with a half-assed plan?”  Slick grumbles.  “I was going to suggest you start from the dinner next week.”  She leans back against the sofa looking very smug.  “But of course start planting the seeds from say next Thursday or so…what do you think?”

 

“Not bad, not bad at all.”  I grin at her and then squeal as Brian digs into my side.

 

DINER – FRIDAY LUNCHTIME

 

DEBS

 

I’m trying not to watch the door waiting for Carl to come in.  When the bell goes, it’s Slick and she makes a beeline for me but I point in the direction of an empty booth.

 

“Sit and tell.”  She demands beaming at me; I scoff and pour her a coffee.

 

“So I had an admirer and you didn’t tell me about this?”  I tease her as she mock-glowers at me and huffs an impatient breath.  “Okay it was really nice. We talked about family and friends and I’m going to have to be taught how to use a wrench so I don’t make a fool out of myself.”

 

“He’s going to let you help on his car.  Girl, I need to bring you some overalls!  Oh can I order a steak burger, fries and onion rings for Justin and my usual.”

 

“Sure great. Is it to take away?  For Justin I mean.”  She shakes her head.  “Good I need a word with him. I think I might be able to help him art wise.”

 

Right on cue the man of the hour comes in followed by Carl, who takes a seat by the counter and winks at me.  I ignore the snickering from Slick and put their order in.

 

“So how are you this fine day?”  I ask pouring him a coffee.  “Oh Justin do you want a hot chocolate or a milkshake?”

 

“Hot chocolate please. This slave driver has me working outside today!”  He pouts and dodges the punch to his shoulder.

 

“Fine, fine, how about you?” I turn back to Carl.

 

“Unfortunately, I have to get in the office soon so it will be a takeaway, so can I have…”

 

“Your usual bacon sandwich with a sunny side up fried egg on whole-wheat.  And I’m in a good mood today…oh well I was.”  I sigh as the door heralds the arrival of Michael, who takes one look at us and sits in the booth next to Slick and Justin.

 

“You go deal with him. I’ll call you tonight.”  Carl gives my hand a quick squeeze.  “Talk to you about seven okay?”

 

I nod and head towards Michael’s booth.  “This is a bit big for just one person isn’t it?”  He says nothing but just glowers at Carl’s back.  “Well as death stares go this would definitely be a crime scene.”  I try again.

 

“If you must know mother, I’m waiting for Emmett. He owes me an apology…”

 

“No on both counts.  You aren’t waiting for me since we made no arrangements to meet up and no I don’t owe you an apology.”  Ems snaps at him as he sweeps by.  “Sweetums, shift along...have you ordered?”  He asks Justin who nods.

 

“Okay what’s happened?”  I demand.  Nobody says anything.  “I asked what’s happened and one of you will tell me.”

 

“Funny how quiet you’ve suddenly become, isn’t it Michael, when you were oh so chatty last night.”  Ben snipes as he slips in besides Michael.  “Have you done it yet?”  He demands.

 

Michael starts to go red. “Ben, can you tell me what’s going on?”  I order.

 

“We had a dinner party last night and Michael made some comments to a reporter about Justin…”

 

“Wait a reporter about me why?  What did you say?”  Justin exclaims turning to face him.

 

“Nothing that wasn’t true. You did win the competition, you did barf on Brian and you are living at St Peter’s. I don’t see what the big deal is…”

 

“The big deal is that you are not Justin.  So once again, apologise to him.”  Ben commands.

 

I’ve never seen Ben so angry and impatient.  Ems and Slick are both giving Michael dirty looks as he remains stubbornly quiet.

 

“It’s okay Ben. I don’t want it and he wouldn’t mean it anyway.”  Justin smiles at Ben.  “Debs, can we have this to go please?”

 

“Yes of course, but let me tell you about the GLC first.”  I settle down next to Slick.  “You know your…can I help you Michael?”  I notice he started to lean in.  “Actually that booth down there is free, let’s move there.”

 

As we settle back down again, I tell Justin about the art show at the GLC and how I think he should enter a couple of his drawings.  At first he’s reluctant to do so but with encouragement from Slick and Emmett he finally agrees.

 

“Debs their orders are up!”

 

“Okay coming.”  I bustle to get it and hand it to them.  “Oh Justin have you got a number I can call you on to firm this up?”  He nods and writes it down for me and with a wave they leave.

 

MICHAEL

 

I AM SEETHING!  I cannot believe that Ben said that out loud!  He is concentrating on the menu that he’s read a thousand times, when Hunter comes in and joins us.

 

“Hi guys. So how did last night’s dinner go?”  He looks at the two of us.  “Okay I’m going to go with not well, so what happened?”

 

“Michael blabbed to a reporter about Justin and…”

 

“Why the fuck would you do that?”  Hunter hisses at me.  “You don’t know shit about why he is homeless! He could be running away from someone who hurt him, you fucking idiot!”

 

“First, I don’t appreciate your tone or language.”  I snark.  “And secondly, aren’t you being melodramatic?  It’s not as if…”

 

“Actually he has a point.”  I look up at the rent-a-dick and scowl.  “You should be careful about what you say about people.  Debs I’ll talk to you tonight okay to organise that wrench lesson.”

 

I watch him walk away and my mother blush and watch him leave, before she turns to me with fury in her eyes.

 

“So blabbermouth, what the fuck were you thinking?”

 

KINNETIC

 

BRIAN’S OFFICE

 

BRIAN

 

“So let me get this straight.  Ben, the normally calm and Zen like Ben, called Michael out on being an ass to you and demanded he apologise?”  He nods round a mouthful of fries. I pinch one from his container then he feeds me an onion ring.  “Wow that couldn’t have gone better if we planned it.  Didn’t think he had it in him.”

 

“And I don’t think Michael will for a while either.”  Emmy Lou burbles with laughter.  “Oh tell him the rest, tell him the rest.”

 

“Debs has spoken to some people at the GLC and they have an art show in a couple of weeks and she thinks I should submit some of my…”

 

“Not that one!”  I exclaim and then cringe as they look at me in surprise and then she starts to smile.

 

“He’s done one of you hasn’t he and judging by that face it’s a good one.  Can we see it, we promise not to tell anyone else we’ve seen it or what it looks like pretty please!”

 

Justin and I exchange glances before I nod.  He wipes his hands and takes out the pad and shows them.

 

“Yowsers,” Emmy Lou gasps. “Okay I’ve seen you in action in the backroom and you’ve never made that face.”

 

“Right you’ve seen it, now just leave it alone.”  I grumble.  “So how’s my car coming…”

 

“Coming.”  Justin snickers before collapsing into giggles and he’s soon followed by the pair of them.

 

“Oh God just leave!”  I grouch.  “Some people have to work you know!”

 

As they gather their stuff and leave they are still chuckling.  It isn’t until I’m clearing the coffee table I notice that he’s left the drawing and written ‘the amazing GGK by JT’ on it and I carefully put it in my briefcase.

 

BEN & MICHAEL’S – SATURDAY EARLY AFTERNOON

 

HUNTER

 

I have been texting with Gus since they landed, to give him a heads up that a shitstorm has happened.  The last one I got from him was to say they were 10 minutes away and that his mom is in a bad mood too.

 

Ben and Michael aren’t really talking after yesterday’s argument but have decided to at least be civil to each other while everyone is here.  And speaking of everyone, there’s the doorbell.

 

“Hey Uncle Brian!”  I give him a punch in the arm our standard greeting.  “They’re five minutes away.”

 

“Hey Hunter.”  He strides in taking off his sunglasses. Only he could wear sunglasses in February and still look cool when there’s no sun.

 

“Ice glare.”  He explains.  “Where’s the men of the house?”

 

I point to the lounge and after slinging his coat over the bannister he makes his way in.  I was about to follow when the door goes again. And they’re here.

 

“Gus, Jenny, how are you guys; how was the flight?”  I give them hugs and start to help with their cases.  “Jeez Jenny you’re only here one night!”  I tease her.

 

“Hunter when you’ve done that, you can help Lindsay and Melanie with theirs too,” Michael orders coming out of the lounge.  “Lindz, Mel how are you both?  Jenny, aren’t you going to greet me?”

 

There’s a tense silence as they both hold their ground before she breaks into a smile.  He smiles back.  “Uncle Brian!”  She calls out coming down the stairs quickly and brushing passed Michael to give him a hug.

 

“Hey beautiful. You look gorgeous, so where have you hidden my…”

 

“Dad!”  Gus shouts and almost vaults over the bannister to get to him.  “I’ve missed you!”

 

“Uncle Ben, where are you?”  Jenny is calling.  “There you are!  I’m so happy to see you!”

 

“Hunter, the cases,” Michael prompts.

 

“Michael, he’s not a bellhop,” Aunt Mel gripes.  “We can take our own cases. Hunter please show us the way.”

 

I lead them upstairs and everyone is soon back down in the lounge but Aunt Lindsay is still quiet.

 

“Your home is lovely Michael and Ben but is there really enough room for us?”  Lindsay asks, sipping on her coffee.  “Wouldn’t it have been easier for us to all have stayed at Britin?”

 

Ah now I see what the problem is. She wants to play Lady Muck and she’s been cockblocked.

 

“It will be fine for one night.”  Ben reassures her with a slightly strained smile.  “The kids don’t mind sharing, do you?”  We all shake our heads. We’ve actually been looking forward to it.

 

“So what time am I picking them up to take them to Slick’s?”  Uncle Brian asks.

 

“Slick’s?  Who said anything about them going to see her?”  Michael looks around confused.  “They are here to see us and…”

 

“And their friends of which Slick is one,” Aunt Mel reminds him sharply.  “And besides this was arranged at the same time this weekend was booked.  So Brian, I’d say about nine but have them back after lunch, so about three.  Then we can see Debs before our flight at eight.”

 

“I don’t remember any of this arrangement.  Do you Lindsay?” Michael snipes.

 

“No actually I don’t either. The last discussion we had was that we were going to stay at Britin and…”

 

“Kids why don’t you go upstairs and catch up.”  Ben sighs.  “We’ll call you when we’re heading for dinner.”

 

I have never been so relieved to leave a room in my life!

 

MEL

 

I try very hard not to slam down my cup.  “What the hell is wrong with you two?”  I glare at them.  “You’re behaving like spoilt brats because you can’t stay where you want. Where we stay is irrelevant. It is about being here as a family!  Now stop this shit right now! We’re here deal with it.”

 

“I was merely saying…”  Lindsay begins as usual.

 

“No, Mel’s right,” Ben interrupts, earning a scowl from Michael but he continues.  “This was agreed the last time we met up. In fact, we also had Slick on the phone for about 10 minutes to make sure she would be around.”

 

“As I was about to say,” Lindsay huffs, “There isn’t enough room for Brian here. Where’s he going to sleep?”

 

“At the loft of course. Where else would I stay when I’m in town?”  Brian is starting to get pissed off.  “Look can…”

 

“Are you sure that you won’t be conga line fucking this evening?”  Lindsay bitches and then catches the expression on Michael’s face.  “I-I mean…”

 

“Wow Michael. You have been busy, all the way to Canada.”  Brian stands up and heads to the front door.  “Gus!  Sonny Boy, I’ll see you at the restaurant, okay? Something has come up.”

 

“Okay dad!”  I hear Gus yell before the door is banged close.

 

“Seriously what the fuck is going on with you two!”  I snarl.

 

EMMETT’S HOUSE OF FOOD

 

EMMY LOU

 

“Mousse.  The lemon one.”  Brian growls out as he slides onto the stool.

 

I start to serve him up a double scoop and watch him brood.  “Okay, I thought you were with the kids this weekend and…oh wait what in the Sam Hell of a fuck have they done now?”

 

He snorts into his mousse, it’s a start.  “Sam Hell of a fuck?”  I shrug and raise an eyebrow for him to continue.  “Michael told Lindsay about the conga line fuck in my loft. He knew it was a lie but he still told her.”

 

“Brian, I’m sorry.  If it helps, it seems that Debs and Carl- you know the cop- had an excellent date and Slick’s fitting her for overalls…”

 

He gives me a small smile.  “It doesn’t but I’m glad for her.  Let’s just hope next Thursday goes better than last Thursday did.”

 

“Sweetums, of course it will.  You got me and Slick and soon you’ll have Debs, who has always wanted to see you settled and happy.”

 

“She has?”  He looks surprised.

 

“Of course as long as it wasn’t with Michael. You’re too good for him!”

 

 

I wipe the mousse he sprayed off my face and we burst out laughing.

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thank you