- Text Size +

CHAPTER 12: REALISATION

 

JUSTIN’S APARTMENT – TUESDAY LATE AFTERNOON

 

LOUNGE

 

SLICK

 

So operation ‘let everyone know’ got derailed when Justin got a headache and Idaho gave him Tylenol without realising he is allergic  to it.  Needless to say, we went on lockdown until he got out of the hospital. Luckily, it wasn’t too severe but it scared the shit out of us.  He now has a file in our office and Brian insisted he got a copy.

 

“Idaho, I’m fine honestly. You do not need to carry me to the sofa!”  Justin protests.

 

Idaho kicks the door open.  “No, I don’t need to but I want to so let me do it, please?  I feel bad enough.”

 

Justin groans and settles in his arms looking imploringly at me.  “Just let him get you to the sofa and Emmy Lou can talk him down.  Right Emmy Lou?”

 

Emmy Lou nods as Idaho puts him on the sofa and then he tugs on his arm.  “Sweetie you didn’t know so stop beating yourself up about it.  He’s fine. Now let Slick do her thing and you and I can have a drink so you can shout this out of your system…hmmm?”

 

Reluctantly, he lets Emmy Lou lead him out and as soon as the door is shut I hear the thunder of footsteps…here comes GGK.

 

BRIAN

 

When I got the call from Slick, I wanted to go to the hospital but she said it wasn’t bad. He just needed a shot or a flush…can’t remember which as I was panicking too much…and he would be fine.  But the rest of my day was for shit so I ended up going to the apartment and waiting there.  As I come through the door, I see Slick leave with a soft smile and a wave.

 

“Justin are you okay?”  I pull him into my arms and feel him tremble as I kiss the top of his head.

 

“Yes I’m fine.  I just didn’t think.”  He snuggles into my arms.  “But I spat it out quickly.”

 

“What brought the headache on? Was it the paint fumes?”  I start to massage the base of his head and move onto his scalp.  “Justin?”  I prompt.

 

“No-not sure.  Oh that feels good.  I just…can we have this conversation after you’ve finished doing this marvellous thing to my head?”  He sighs and stretches like a cat.

 

“Sure.”  I chuckle.

 

EMMETT’S APARTMENT

 

IDAHO

 

“I can’t believe that I almost killed him!”  I’m pacing and Emmett is just gazing at me with a bemused expression.  “Okay almost killed is an exaggeration but…”

 

“Just a tad.”  He snorts.  “Now come and sit down and taste this.”

 

He pats the sofa next to him.  “What is it?”  I ask as I can’t see or smell any food.

 

“Close your eyes and you’ll find out. I promise you nothing bad is going to happen… Well I don’t think so.”

 

Slowly I close my eyes and wait; then I feel the soft press of his lips on mine and my eyes fly open and I pull back a bit.

 

“You kissed me.”  I whisper awestruck.  “Uh huh, is this a bad thing?”  He queries his eyes dancing.

 

“No not at all.”  I murmur as I pull him back into my arms.

 

Ten minutes later we finally come up for air.  “Well now that was great. I feel so much better but I do need to make some room.”  I adjust my jeans and he grins that gorgeous gap toothed smile of his before we start kissing again.

 

BEN & MICHAEL’S – EARLY EVENING

 

BEN

 

It’s getting harder and harder to listen to these days.  I’m not sure when I started to actually mind his constant attempts to be with Brian and talk to Brian but I do.  If he expended half the energy on our relationship or his store then I wouldn’t mind.  Right now he’s griping because he’s not been able to get ahold of Brian.

 

“He said he would be in. I can’t think where he would be…unless he’s at Babylon but it’s Tuesday and…”

 

“Michael, are you hearing yourself?”  I’m trying not to shout.  “Brian doesn’t answer to you.  Do you tell him what we are doing every time?”

 

“Of course not. What we do is our business.”  He huffs indignantly and rolls his eyes.

 

“And what he does is his.  Now come on let’s go to Woody’s. We've not had a date night for ages.”

 

He smiles at me; we put on our coats and head out.

 

WOODY’S

 

MICHAEL

 

“You grab a table, I’ll get the drinks.”  Ben nods and I head to the bar.

 

It doesn’t take long to get served and I head back to him to find him talking to Ted and Blake.

 

“What’re you doing here?”  I am surprised.

 

“Waiting for our table for dinner…”

 

I scoff after taking a sip of my drink.  “You’re eating here? For a man of your supposed wealth Ted, you have surprisingly lowbrow food tastes.”

 

Blake rolls his eyes at me.  “No we are not eating here, not that there’s anything wrong with here.  We’re eating at Nakama but thought we would stop off first. Our reservation isn’t until nine.”

 

“Wow Nakama? Now that is supposed to be good.”  Ben comments sipping on his beer.

 

“Nine? Isn’t that a bit late to be eating out on a school night?”  I bristle.

 

“We used to be partying at Babylon on a school night later than that.”  Ted fires back.

 

Ben tips his beer in acknowledgement.  “So how was work today?”  I ask Ted.

 

He sighs and puts down his drink.  “Brian was out with clients before taking them to dinner. Does that answer your actual question?”

 

Ben looks at me and waits for me to answer.  “I was merely making conversation Ted…”

 

“Yes of course you were.  Come on Blake, the pool table is free.”

 

Ben finishes his drink and puts on his coat.  “Where are you going? I thought it was date night.”

 

He heads to speak to Ted and Blake then pauses at our table.  “You stay if you want to, but I’m tired.”

 

BRITIN – WEDNESDAY EVENING

 

I’ve just finished FaceTiming with Gus who aced his test.  I was wondering why he kept asking about Justin and the reason is in my hand.  Before I left Justin, he gave me an envelope and said that I wasn’t to open it until after I spoke to Gus.

 

I got a little choked when I saw what it was. It was a perfect portrait of Gus and he had written on it ‘To the best dad in the world love Gus.’  Like the other picture, I am going to get it framed but this one stays here.

 

I find myself reaching for my phone.  “Hey Picasso.  How are you feeling?”  His giggle makes me smile.  “Yes I did wait to open it and I love it, thank you.  So you haven’t been overdoing it today have you after yesterday’s scare?  I know, okay stopping now.  So what time are we meeting for breakfast tomorrow?  Okay see you then.  Later.”

 

DINER – THURSDAY MORNING

 

SLICK

 

Okay, here we go.

 

“Debs, hey my girl how are you?”  I call out sliding into the booth as she whizzes past me with a tray.  “Fine!  Be right there!”  I put my bait in place and wait.

 

Justin is the first to arrive. Of course she stops him straight away having heard about his brief hospitalisation.  As he finally slides into the booth, he grins at me and shakes his head; then leans towards me.  

 

“How we’ve managed to keep this away from her for so long is incredible considering...”  He giggles

 

“Incredible nor considering has nothing to do with it.  What goes on in my yard stays in my yard.”  I wink at him; and then watch him light up as Brian slides in next to him.

 

“Good morning to you both, how are we today?”  He smirks.

 

Before we can answer Debs is at our table.  “Are you sure you’re okay Sunshine?”

 

“Sunshine?”  We all echo.  

 

“Yeah you should’ve seen that smile just now.  So what can I get you, usual for you two and hmm…I think pancakes with blueberries for you and you give me a list of everything you’re allergic to by tomorrow morning!”  She jabs her pencil at him and he nods quickly.

 

“Oh Debs, when’s your grease monkey wrench date?”  I ask her.

 

She blushes and attempts to swat me round the head; we wait expectantly for her to answer.

 

“Sunday.”  She replies shyly.  “Now that’s all…”

 

“Oh good. Your outfit is under the table, so feel free…”

 

“So just hand it to me.”  She demands.  “You’re closer and I don’t bend that well…”

 

“Don’t let Carl hear you say that.”  Brian chortles but stops when she scowls at him.

 

“Please Debs can you get it for me; I hurt my back yesterday.”  I bat my lashes.  “And besides it’s your outfit.”

 

Sighing grumpily she kneels down.

 

DEBS

 

I don’t understand why she can’t just reach down for the fucking thing. I mean it’s…whoa!  Are they... they can’t be...are they really holding…holding hands?!!

 

I slowly come up and look at all three of them, and when Brian winks my heart starts to beat a little faster.

 

“So Debs, can you come over to my apartment tonight say about seven to make sure that the outfit fits?”  Slick asks me and I’m trying not to grin my head off.

 

“Oh fuck yeah!”  I beam and scurry off to put in their order.

 

“Stage one complete.”  I hear Brian sigh in relief behind me.

 

SLICK’S APARTMENT

 

SLICK

 

Dead on seven there is a hammering on my door and then I’m almost run over by Debs.

 

“Where are they?!”  She demands, I just point to the lounge.  “Explain you two!  And you get me a glass of wine before they start.  You’re in the shit with me too!”

 

“Red or white?”  I ask letting her ride out her storm.  

 

“Red, no white, actually bring me both and I’ll see!”

 

“Debs are you…angry about this?”  Justin asks worriedly.

 

“Ang…angry? Are you kidding me?! I’m fucking delighted.  So tell me everything!”

 

By the time they’ve finished telling her, she’s got tears in her eyes.  “So how are we going to keep this from Michael?”

 

“We’re not.”  Brian replies and we brace for the explosion, which doesn’t take long.

 

“What?!  Are you crazy? He’s going…”

 

“To have to get used to it. He’s in a relationship. Why can’t I be?”  He asks smiling softly at Justin.

 

“But…but he’s going to…I mean, he’ll be…look how he’s been with me.  He’ll be…”

 

“Cockblocked at every turn if we get Liberty Avenue on our side.”  I interrupt.  “And who best to do that than you?  You’ve always said you wanted to see Brian happy and settled, so help him do it.”

 

“We’ll announce as it were on Sunday, before your date and then we deal.”  Justin’s determined tone gets him a kiss from Brian and I feel my heart squinch.

 

THE LOFT – SATURDAY EARLY AFTERNOON

 

BRIAN

 

“So the POC, sorry plan of…”

 

“Campaign, its okay I speak ‘Slick’.”  Justin snickers, I grin back and continue.  “POC is to have a quick interview with Jeff from Pittsburgh Out, take a couple of photos and then we eat.”

 

He’s wandering around the loft running his fingers over the furniture but being very careful of the wine he’s carrying.  He stops when he sees his drawing framed.

 

“Same frame is at Britin with Gus’s picture.  You have an amazing talent.”  I put my arms around him.

 

“Thank you.  My dad didn’t think so. He thought I should go to Dartmouth. That’s another reason he kicked me out; I just wanted to go to PIFA.”  He sighs sadly, then turns in my arms and shakes himself.  “No not being maudlin. Tonight is about good food, beautiful company and ooof…”

 

I push him against the wall and ravage his mouth. He groans and grabs a handful of my hair and my shirt and starts to climb.  He sure is limber.  I start to nip at his neck and ears and he tightens his legs about my waist.

 

“Brian.  Stop please stop.”  He pants.  “O-or we-we’re never going to get out of here.”

 

I nod into his neck and he slowly slides his legs down.  “So um I need to use the bathroom and you need to tell me where we’re going.”

 

“Through there and Six Penn Kitchen…are you okay? You look a little flushed…”  I tease him.

 

“Yes I’m fine.  We just need to get ready to go that’s all.”

 

SIX PENN KITCHEN

 

JEFF

 

“So Justin, tell me a little bit about yourself.”  After about 20 minutes and a few photos, I leave the restaurant feeling angry about three things.  One the injustice he suffered after the attack.  Two, how his dad treated him and three, how Michael behaved.  I think a quick word around our gayborhood is called for; let’s see how he likes it!

 

BRIAN

 

“Okay so what do you want to order?”  He’s giving me his sunshine smile.  “What?”

 

He clears his throat and leans across the table and whilst stroking my thigh tells me; “Wings to start for me without the salad.  The calamari and rock shrimp for you.   And I thought we could share the confit cracklin’ pork shank but change the mash for parmesan fries – it’s a nice contrast of the soft meat to the hard fries.  And since you don’t eat dessert, after seven, you can pick for me and…watch me eat it.”

 

I watch stunned as he then calls over the waiter and places the order.  “So what am I having for dessert?”  I clear my throat.  “Six Penn ‘Circus’ please.”

 

“All excellent choices sir.”  The waiter coos and pours us some more wine.

 

When the appetizers arrive, he looks up at me and then the waiter.  “Excuse me, does the restaurant have a problem with wings being eaten with fingers…I wouldn’t want to apply the wrong etiquette?”

 

“No sir, not at all.”  He smiles and walks away chuckling.

 

By the time we get to dessert, I’ve had to adjust myself…twice…I know he’s messing with me for earlier and by rights I should be furious but I’ve never had so much fun with my clothes on.

 

I settle the bill and we head back to the Phantom.  “Where do you want to be dropped off?”  I send up a silent prayer.  

 

“The apartment please.”  I nod with relief.

 

JUSTIN’S APARTMENT

 

JUSTIN

 

Any thought that I had gone too far has been disabused.  I’m on the receiving end of a tongue fucking kiss whilst being pinned to the inside of the apartment door.

 

“You teasing little twat, I should take you over my knee for that!”  He groans into my neck.

 

“You started it.”  I hit back.  “Sitting in damp boxers was…I mean I…”

 

“Damp…?  You mean you…just me…wow.”

 

“Yeah wow.”

 

DINER – SUNDAY MORNING

 

DEBS

 

As I whirl round the diner, I keep checking for their arrival.  I’m not sure how this is going to play out but judging by how relaxed but focused Slick looks, it’s going to be just fine.  She is so very protective of Brian and now Justin.

 

The bell going again brings in Ben and Hunter and my heart sinks.  “Hey Debs how are…are you alright?”  Ben asks.

 

“Oh yeah honey.  Uh so what’ll be for you three?”  

 

Ben looks confused.  “Three?”

 

“Yes…Michael?”

 

Hunter starts to snicker but is stopped by Ben’s slightly amused glowering.  “Michael has food poisoning. He decided to try sushi and found it didn’t agree with him, so it’s just us two.”

 

“Such a shame mind if I join you?”  Slick calls and slides in after Ben waves her over.

 

“Hey can we sit here too?”  Brian asks.  Ben nods and smiles.  “Hey you two how was dinner, where’d you go?”

 

“Great. We went to Six Penn Kitchen; the food was great but huge portions. We ended up taking some things home.”  Justin beams.

 

“So what did you take home with you?”  Ben takes a sip of coffee.  

 

“Each other.  Ben, Hunter meet Justin…my boyfriend.”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review constructively and kindly.  Thank you xx