- Text Size +

CHAPTER 24: WHAT?!

 

MICHAEL

 

I’m still brooding a good three hours later when the door opens.  It’s Hunter.  I hold my hand out for post and there is none forthcoming.

 

“What do you want then?”  I snap.

 

He regards me coldly.  “Just so you know, Ben is never going to take you back, even if it doesn’t work out with Robin.  So get comfortable here.”

 

I glare at his retreating back and go back to my inventory.

 

Wait… Robin?!

 

KINNETIC

 

CYNTHIA

 

Mary and I stare at each other and then Brian.  “Can you repeat that?  And then send it in an email.”

 

“Under no circumstances are any calls to be put through from Michael Novotny. In fact, put him on the hang up list.   Nor is he allowed in the building; I’ve let security know already.”

 

“The pencils of the world thank you.”  Mary intones dryly.

 

“Okay so what about…”  I begin.

 

“If she calls, put her on hold and then call Mel on this number.”  He hands us each of us a piece of paper and then saunters to his office.

 

Oooh happy days!

 

HOUSE OF FOOD

 

EMMY LOU

 

I cannot believe how cruel and how stupid Michael is!  You do not poke an angry bear, especially when that bear is called Slick.  And as for Lindsay... Well I’m not sure what Mel has planned but it should be fun to watch.

 

But the revelation was the Spitfire that was Justin!  To look at him, currently selecting pastries for the guys, you’d think he’d be more cowed.  And the pride on Brian’s face when he was defending him, I almost cried…okay I did cry but into my napkin and nobody saw so it doesn’t count.

 

“So how much is that?”  I give him the look he gives me his back.  “Emmy.  How much is it?”

 

“My friends do not pay for treats and you are my friend.  Now either take them gratis or leave them.”  I reopen the box.  “The boys will understand…”

 

“Damn you!”  He grouses shutting the box carefully and flouncing out with a deliberate wiggle.

 

DEBS – THURSDAY EVENING

 

“More chicken piccata?”  I ask Carl, who waves his hands in surrender.

 

“That was absolutely delicious.  But I’m full.  Although we have a microwave at work…”

 

“I’ll box you up some.  Want vegetables or will you stop by for a roll…?”

 

“Both.”  He smiles at me and the kiss he drops on me makes my real hair curl!

 

We’re interrupted by the door knocking insistently. My heart sinks as I open the door and Michael attempts to come in.

 

“And you are going where?”  I ask.

 

“Mother I need to…”

 

“Apologise to Brian, Justin and Slick, yes I know but they are not here, so leave.”

 

“Apologise? What would I need to apologise to them for?  If anything they, especially Brian, need to apologise to me!”

 

“No, no they don’t and you still need to leave and quickly.  I have a much more important man to talk to.  And that’s a euphemism by the way…”

 

I step back far enough to close the door in his face and lock it.

 

“Euphemism for what exactly?”  Carl asks against my lips.

 

SLICK’S CAR EMPORIUM – SATURDAY AFTERNOON

 

OFFICE

 

SLICK

 

I hate admin with a passion!  In fact, I would rather strip down a hatchback bare handed than do admin!

 

“Wow that is not a happy face.”  I freeze then slowly look up and yep Lindon is in my office.

 

“What are you doing here?”  I smile at him. He really is rather gorgeous.

 

“Lunch as in would you like to go for some?”

 

“Oh thank Christ!”  He looks pleased.  “You’ve given me an excuse to delay admin and I’m hungry.  I would’ve gone with anyone.”  I smirk as his face falls.  “Just kidding!”

 

I lock up and we head down, I yell at the boys that I’m done and then glower at their snickering.

 

“Walk or car?”  I ask.

 

“Both. And I’m driving.”

 

Twenty minutes later we’re walking towards Altius and I feel his arm drape over my shoulder and its okay…okay who am I kidding? I can feel that in my toes.

 

“Lindon.  Can we stop a minute?”

 

“Sure.”  He leads me to the corner of an alley.  “What’s up?”

 

I stand on my tiptoes and kiss him gently.  “Just needed to take the edge off.”  I murmur.

 

He chuckles and slants his mouth over mine.  As his arms tighten around my waist, I bury my fingers in his hair. He has great hair and kisses like a dream.

 

“Now.”  He plants another soft kiss.  “The edge is taken off.”

 

BEN AND HUNTER’S – TUESDAY EVENING

 

MICHAEL

 

I lean on the doorbell again.  Nothing.  The lights are on so why isn’t he opening the door?  And then I remember, he’s got this thing for leaving the light on when he’s out to deter burglars he says.  I head back to the car and am about to get in when I hear my name being called.

 

“Oh hi Griffin.”  I smile at him.

 

“I heard about you and Ben.”  He frowns at me.  “Well good luck getting another guy like him.  You were a fool to let him go.”

 

I scowl at him.  “I haven’t let him go.”  I step back out and slam the door.  “Ben and I will get back together after this short hitatatus and…”

 

“Good grief.  Hiatus. Hi-a-tus!”  Hunter’s drawl rakes against my nerves.  “And no, no you won’t.”

 

He heads to the house with Griffin following.  “Ben’s not in!”  I shout after them.

 

“Yes he is!  I had to get more ice.”  Hunter shouts back.  “Face it Mr Novotny, you fucked up, lost your boyfriend, your home and your best friend…who by the way still has his!  What else can you lose through running that dumb ass mouth of yours?!”

 

I boil with rage.  This is all that kid’s fault!  I try Brian again and again; it keeps rolling to voicemail.

 

PITTSBURGH AIRPORT – SATURDAY MID-MORNING

 

MEL

 

Doesn’t Lindsay look smug, relaxed and happy?  If she does that hair flick one more time I will just shave her bald!

 

“Oh look Brian’s sent someone for us!”  She points out someone with a sign and we head in their direction.

 

“Momma, wait till you see Britin. It is spectacular!  And…”

 

“Pardon Jenny?”  Lindsay stops walking.  “You’ve been to Britin?”

 

It’s at times like this I love the way the Novotny gene has no filter!

 

“Of course.  I have my own room.  Shotgun!”

 

“Dammit!”  Gus snarks.

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

MICHAEL

 

I can’t see why I couldn’t drive there!  But the stretch limousine is a nice touch.  It’s the least he can do as he’s not been returning my calls.  I get inside and the first thing I notice is the pile of comic books and then the nibbles he’s provided.  Yes, Brian and I are back to normal!

 

I press the intercom.  “How long till we get there?”  I demand.  

 

“Another 20 minutes.”

 

“Okay, let me know when we’re five minutes away.”  I order and settle back to read the comics.

 

A limo with blacked out windows... I feel like a movie star!

 

BRITIN

 

LOUNGE

 

SLICK

 

“That’s not post bottom walking!”  Emmy Lou snickers at Brian’s attempt.  “That’s strutting!”

 

It’s me, Justin, Brian and Emmy Lou in the lounge trying to get Brian’s ‘I’ve just been fucked’ walk down pat.  Justin is giggling on the sofa munching on cherries.

 

“Well what does post bottom walk look like?”  Brian demands. And the room goes quiet.  We all look at him and he winces.  “It never leaves this room.”

 

“You’ve never…right out of the gate you topped?”  Emmy Lou looks at him in awe.

 

“Since you were 14!”  Justin gasps.

 

“I’m a quick study.”  He mutters.

 

“Okay the trick is to walk like you’re holding in a fart and then sit down real slow, especially since it will be your first time.”  Emmy Lou recovers from his shock.

 

Justin is just gazing at him with a dopey grin on his face.  “You were so loving and tender with me, I thought…”

 

Whatever Brian was going to say was stopped by the doorbell and Debs bellowing that she’ll get it.

 

DEBS

 

I brace for impact as I open the door.  “Grandma!”  Jenny hollers and barrels in for a hug.

 

“Oh my sweet baby, how are you?”

 

“Debbie what are you doing here?”  Lindsay asks coolly.

 

“Visiting my granddaughter.  Why? Is that a problem for you?”

 

“No, of course not.”  Her smile does not reach her eyes.

 

“Honey go put your stuff in your room.  Gus!  Come here!”  I give him a big hug too.  “Put your stuff away and we’ll meet in the kitchen okay.”

 

“Mel, sweetheart.”

 

“Debs.”  I give her a hug and smile.

 

“Okay, you two follow me.”  I lead them up to the room they are staying in, right next to Slick and Lindon, which is next to the master suite.  “Sort yourselves out and I’ll meet you downstairs.”

 

The door goes again and Ems dashes across the corridor to the kitchen with Slick and they’re both giggling like maniacs.

 

“Ems!”  I whisper hoarsely.  “Gus and Jenny are coming, hold the door!”

 

Once they are in, I take a breath and open the front door.  “Michael.”

 

“Mother!  Wh-what are you doing here?”  He seems to be frozen in shock.

 

“Again, visiting my granddaughter. Is that a problem for you too?  Seems to me the only person without a problem with this is the birth mother.  Lindsay!  Mel!  Michael’s here!”

 

“Michael, how lovely to see you!”  Lindsay pulls him into a hug and Mel gives him a chaste kiss on his cheek.

 

“You guys hungry?  Let’s get you something to eat.”

 

I lead them to the kitchen and wait.

 

“Ben!  What the hell are you doing here?”  Michael demands.  “Or should I say what are you doing here again?

 

“Visiting this little bug.  So how did you do on your English test Jenny?”

 

“98% thanks to you.”  She beams at him.  “So, Robin what are you cooking?”

 

LINDSAY

 

What the fuck?!  Why are all these people here?   This is supposed to be our weekend!  I spot his mother and make my way over in full WASP mode.

 

“Jennifer?  I’m Lindsay we briefly…”

 

“Yes I know what you and I briefly did, much like what you and Brian briefly did in college.  Which for you means that it entitles you to some special privileges.  Like popping out a kid.  It doesn’t.  Excuse me.”

 

I stare at her retreating back before locating Michael.

 

“Did Brian tell you about this?”  I hiss at him and judging by his angry expression I’m guessing not.

 

“Well at least Vomit Boy isn’t here.”

 

“Finally you guys surface!”  Slick calls out.

 

Everyone turns to Brian and him.

 

BRIAN

 

“Sorry I, I mean we had to sort something out.  Gus!  Come hug your old man, gently!”

 

“Brian are you okay?  You’re kind of walking funny. Did you pull something?  Lindsay asks practically elbowing Justin out of the way.

 

“Fine.”  I almost have to pry her off me.  “Justin, can you get me a cushion please?”

 

“Sure.”  He drops a kiss on my head and struts out. I find the table very interesting.

 

“Brian?”  Michael’s approaches me.  “I’m so glad that…”

 

“Here snookums.  Excuse me Michael.  Now Brian lower yourself gently.  That’s it.”

 

My nails are almost drawing blood.  “He got a bit carried away.”

 

“Carried away?”  Michael echoes.

 

“Yeah.  Topping the ultimate top.  Such a privilege.”  He adjusts the cushion.  “Now that I’m feeling full of energy, what can I help with?”

 

“Oh we’re pretty much done here.”  Debs tell him.  “We’re eating here right?”

 

“Yeah, I don’t think I could possibly go anywhere but bed after this. I need to get off my ass as soon as possible.  Michael, Emmy Lou and…oh Robin not sure but I’m thinking versatile…how do you guys do it?  I haven’t done in a while but Justin was so kind, tender and damn near perf…”

 

“Brian, this is not the kind of conversation we should be having around the table!”  Lindsay almost shrieks.

 

“It’s my house...”  I rebuff her.

 

“But Gus and Jenny…”  She argues.

 

“Aren’t here.”  I point out.

 

“Your observation skills are just superb as usual when Brian is in the room.”  Mel chides her.

 

“Mel…”

 

“Lindsay, what did I tell you?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Unde et actiones.”  I reply and at the confused expressions around the table, I translate, “All actions have consequences. I’ve always loved Latin.” She walks towards me with an envelope and hands it to me. “What’s this?”  I ask.

 

“Open it.”

 

I rip open the envelope and quickly scan the document and then look at Mel.  “Is this…is this what I think it is?”

 

“Yes.  Full parental rights restored.”

 

“Mel!  What have you done?!”  Lindsay yells.

 

“What I said I would do if you continued to interfere in their relationship, for that’s what it is, and you did. So his rights are back.  Now Brian you need to sign here and here.”

 

I sign quickly and feel the gentle brush of Justin’s fingers against my face before realising he’s wiping away a tear.

 

“What does that mean?”  Idaho asks.  “Getting his rights back?”

 

“It means that we have to consult Brian on everything pertaining to Gus.”  She turns to Lindsay.  “We have to work together to make sure that Gus is happy.  And from what I see, Brian being with Justin makes Gus happy.  So I will do everything I can to make sure that doesn’t change.”

 

She hands the paperwork to Carl.  “Can you witness these for me?” He quickly signs them and hands them back.  “Right that’s that done.  Now just one minute.”

 

She heads to the door and calls for Jenny.  “You ready sweetheart?”

 

Ready?  Ready for what?

 

“Yes mom.”

 

“Here Mel, I hope you like it.”  Jennifer heads towards her with keys.

 

“Thank you.”

 

“Wait! What the hell is going on?!”  Michael demands.

 

“I’m done.  I’ve got enough money to tide me over for a few months until I find another job.  And I’ve already put feelers out for schools.  You just could not let him be happy.  Bye Lindsay.  And Michael when you start paying support, you get to know where we live and a say in how Jenny is raised.  Ben, you can get the address from Jennifer.”

 

Wait…what?

 

“You’re leaving me? You can’t leave me!”  Lindsay shouts.

 

“As Jennifer’s tee said ‘Bitch Please’.  Gus, we will see you in two weeks okay?  Bye all!”  She calls and walks out.

 

Slick, Justin, Emmy Lou and I exchange what the fuck just happened looks.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review constructively and kindly, thank you xx