- Text Size +

CHAPTER 33: HONESTY & PAYBACK

TAYLOR ELECTRONICS – WEDNESDAY MORNING

CRAIG

This is not fucking happening.  I watch the bitch of a lawyer stride back out having just served me papers on behalf of my ex-wife and his best friend for defamation of character.  All because of that little faggot boy!  And I didn’t like the way she said she’d be back.

I bang my office door shut and call my lawyer.  Once I explain the situation to him he’s quiet.

“Mark are you still there?”  I demand.

“Yes, I’m here.  I’m still trying to digest what you’ve just told me you said and did.  And this lawyer said she’d be coming back with the rest of the actions from everyone at the table?”

“Yes, pathetic isn’t it?”

“Actually no.  How many people were at the table do you think?”

“I don’t know! I was too busy concentrating on those two.”

“Well you better give me the name of the restaurant and the table name. At least they would be able to tell me how many others there were.”

“You’re not sounding as positive as I thought you would be.”

“That’s because I’m not.  You are in shit load of trouble Craig.  A shit load.  So the restaurant?”

SLICK’S EMPORIUM

OFFICE

SLICK

“How many times has he called so far?  Wow 12.  How have you held him off?  Okay.  Look, call him back and ask exactly what he’s willing to offer for it?”

I hang up and rest my head on my desk and groan.  “Can’t be that bad?”

“Jesus fuck Lindon don’t do that!”  I yelp and rub my knee where I banged it on the desk.

“Sorry, just wanted to know if you wanted to do dinner on Friday.”

“Yeah what time and where?  Wait Friday? Why Friday?”

“Because you and I need to talk and I know you’ve got Friday off.”

“Can’t we talk now and save on dinner?”  I sigh.

He comes behind the desk and kisses me gently.  “It’s not that kind of talk but it’s a talk we need to have okay?”

“Who blabbed?”  I groan feeling my entire body warm up with embarrassment.

“Nobody.  I figured it out all by myself.  But I wish you told me.”

“I-I just couldn’t and figured you’d get bored and end it sooner rather than later.”

“How can I get bored with someone who knows how to work cars, dances like a dream, looks like you do and is fiercely protective of her friends?”

I bite the inside of my lip.  “Call Lucy okay?  She’s more than happy to give you some pointers.”

“Uh.  She is?”

“Not about that no!  Just call her okay?”  He heads to the door before turning and smiling.  “In case you’ve not figured it out; I like-like you by the way.  See you tomorrow about two.”

I sit back and then feel what Justin means about grinning until his cheeks hurt!

ART SHOP – LATE AFTERNOON

LINDSAY

I’d decided to get some supplies as I want to get back into drawing as I find it relaxes me only to bump into Sidney Bloom.  We talked for a bit and he mentioned the show at the GLC on Thursday evening, which he is sponsoring to showcase new talent.  He’s given me a leaflet and I’m astonished to see his name on there.  Turns out that Debs got him in, as if she knows about art!

I told him that I was looking to get back into the art world and he said that I should cover the art show for him and submit a review of the works presented.  And he would pay me!

As I walking was around picking up some supplies and thinking about the show, Brian and his ingénue came in.  I watch nauseated as they shop.  He’d pick up something and Brian would put it back and get better version of it. I follow them and they are so wrapped up in each other that they don’t notice me. When they total up the amount it’s more than my suit cost last week.    Justin looked scandalised by the amount and wanted to put some things back but Brian said no.  He may fool Brian but he doesn’t fool me.

Michael finally comes back in having been on the phone to the manager of the comic shop uptown and judging by the expression on his face it’s been a good conversation.

“Well what did they say?”

“They are willing to sell it to me!”

“How much for?”

“Well the value of it is $30K but I’ve come up with a solution that I think they will like.”

“Great!  Did you see Brian and his trick du jour leave earlier?

“No, what were they doing here?”

“Well Brian was buying half the store and Justin was pretending to mind about that.  But even worse look at this.”  I hand him the leaflet.

“How the fuck has this happened?”  He looks as furious as I feel.

“Your mother is how it happened.”

“She just can’t stop interfering in people’s lives!”  He snaps.  “Sorry Lindz.  But she just infuriates me so much with her interfering!”

“I know sickening isn’t it?  Some people just don’t know when to stop.  But I have better news than that.  Sidney Bloom, my previous boss, wants me to write an article on the show and I know exactly what to say…now come on let’s get my stuff home and you can tell me about the comic book thing.”

SLICK’S OFFICE

SLICK

This man has got to be the stupidest man I have ever come across.  He can’t seriously have offered this.  I told Kyle to get the offer in writing before anything else is agreed.

I’ve been thinking about what we know happened on Saturday and what’s gone on since and I’ve called round and we’ve agreed that we should tell them.  And the sooner the better.  So we’re heading to Britin tonight. Emmy Lou has packed mousse and torte and I’ve made a beef bone broth for B&B and southern fried chicken for dinner and Debs has done the salad.  This is not going to be a fun evening.

My email pinging and yep this man is really that keen for the comic that he’s offered that!  I pack up and head for home so we can get this over with and hope that this comic news might cheer them up a bit.

BRITIN – EARLY EVENING

LOUNGE

BRIAN

Slick has asked for this dinner but is looking like she’d rather be anywhere but here.  We’re just waiting for Mel.  Emmy Lou is so quiet it’s unnerving.  Finally Mel arrives and we can get this shit over with.

“Just spill it.”  I order as Justin presses deeper into my side trying hard not to tremble.

Slick sighs.  “Okay.  Before I joined you guys at the table on Saturday, Brandon stopped me and told me what he heard on the street, so I went to Taylor Electronics to check it out…”

“You went to my dad’s place?”  Justin gasps.

“Honey please just listen.”  Jennifer strokes his arm.

“He gave me a number of the person who called him to tell him where you would be on Saturday.  Do you recognise it?”

She hands him a piece of paper and he shakes his head before handing it to me and my stomach drops.

“I’m so sorry Brian, I really am.”

“That fucking…”

“Brian who does that number belong to?”  Justin demands.

“Michael.”  I reply dully.

“Michael?  He-he called my father?  But why and how did he know where we’d be?”

Mel clears her throat.  “That would be down to Jenny, but she had no idea what he was planning.  He asked to see her on Saturday and she told him she couldn’t because she was out with us and she also said where we’d be…she’s so sorry and so fucked off, her words, not mine. She’s vowed never to speak to them again.”

“In answer to why, I think to get you away from Brian through embarrassment.  But that’s backfired spectacularly, hasn’t it Mel?”  Jennifer gives a small smile.

“Yes.  By calling us all deviants he’s defamed our characters so we’re suing him.  I’ve already served papers for Jennifer and Daphne.  Emmy Lou and Debs will be tomorrow.  So do you want me to prepare a suit for you or…”

“You went to my father and you’ve started this?”  Justin’s voice is shaky as he looks from Slick to Mel.

“You have every right to be angry about…”

“I’m not.  I just can’t believe you would do this for me.  Excuse me a minute.”

I go to follow him but Jennifer stops me.  “Let me. Sometimes only a mother will do.  Justin wait!”

She closes the door behind her and we sit in silence.  Before I get up and approach Slick.

“Get up.”  I order and sighing she does so. I lift her chin and smile.  “You really are my best friend.”

She almost sags in relief and smiles back.  “What no hug?”  She teases.

A few minutes later Justin and Jennifer come back in. He’s red eyed but smiling.  “Sorry about that just got a little overwhelmed.”

“Come here twat.”  I pull him into a hug and that almost starts him off again.  “So what are we going to do?”  I ask him.

“About suing my dad?  I say we go for it.  As for Michael I…”

“And Lindsay. There’s no way she didn’t know.”  Debs growls.

“I agree. He wouldn’t have kept that from her.  Mel can we use this somehow in the custody case?”

“Absolutely.  We’ve got enough character witnesses for her behaviour since she’s been back and…”

“She still owes me three months’ rent, which she’s making no effort to pay back.  Oh and there’s something else about Michael.”

Slick catches us up on what’s been happening.  I don’t know why I’m not surprised that Phoenix Rising is hers.  She’s full of surprises, but what she tells us next leaves everyone including Emmy Lou speechless.

“You’ve actually got that in writing that he’s willing to put up his store in exchange for the comic!”

“Yep.”  She hands me the email and I show it around.

“Does he know that you own the store?”

“No, he didn’t even know about it until I told him about it a couple of weeks back when Molly was at the diner.”  Emmy Lou is rereading the email.  “Wait, I thought you own the building Slick?”

“I own part of his building, hence the rent from that part up it’s mine including the apartment, which he will not be living in when I kick his ass out of the store!”

“Their asses... Lindsay’s in there too remember?”

“What are you going to do about his offer?  Are you going to accept it?”

“Nope going to counter and see if he bites.”  Slick grimaces.  “Can I borrow your office for a bit? Emmy, can you heat up the chicken and Justin you can try the bone broth cubes on the boys.”

“Yes of course you…bone broth cubes, what the fuck are they?”  I demand following her out.

DINING ROOM

JUSTIN

Oh that hit the spot and judging by the totally empty bowls of B&B the bone broth cubes in their kibble went down a storm.  I have already put in an order at the butchers for the bones as I can see them going through them very quickly because of a certain Stud who likes to spoil them.

I still can’t believe that Michael and Lindsay are that jealous and hateful that they would do such a thing as call my sperm donor.  Everyone who was at the dinner has agreed to sue too so Mel is going to be busy over the next week or so.

Slick is looking pensive though.  “Is it the email that’s worrying you?”  I ask her.

“No.  But.”  She sighs.  “I could be overthinking this but we don’t know what the dumbass twins actually said to him.  Even though it’s not obvious to anyone else that you’ve virtually moved in…”

“I was thinking the same thing.  I’ll get Cynthia to look into getting a security team for the grounds first thing.”

“Brian…”  I gasp and he looks at me. He gives me that look and I remember our defend conversation.  “Okay thank you.”

“Holy mother of fuck.”  Slick breathes and at first I think she’s noticed but she’s looking at her phone.  “He’s replied.  And he’s agreed to our terms.  I need to-to speak to Joshua.  This can’t be real.”

Twenty minutes later she’s back in wreathed in smiles.  “Debs can you call a family dinner for Sunday?  Make sure everyone comes.”

“Slick what is it?”  Emmy Lou demands.

“Oh no, there’s a saying ‘revenge is dish best served cold but humiliation always appreciates a captive audience’.  Now about your show Justin is it black tie or can I schlep up in my sweats?”

“Slick!”  Brian growls at the change in subject.

“Nope, no amount of GGK growling is getting this out of me.”  She giggles.  “It will be worth it.”

“When you say everybody?”  Debs frowns

“I mean everybody!”

GLC SHOW – THURSDAY EVENING

BRIAN

“Will you stop fidgeting and ease your grip you’re cutting off my circulation.”  I whisper to him.

“Sorry.”  He whispers back.

The place is full and I can’t help smiling at the memory of the last time I was here.

“You are going to be fine. Just don’t puke on any cars or anyone else okay?”  He swats me in the arm and then freezes.

“Oh fuck.”  I sigh as I spot Lindsay and Michael.  “What the hell are they doing here?”

“Lindsay my dear.”  A voice booms.  “Glad you could make it.  Now come with me.”

We both heave sighs of relief as they’re taken to the other side of the room and the show gets underway.

Two hours later, Justin is quietly answering questions and taking plenty of cards.  I found it strange – but a fucking relief – that neither Lindsay nor Michael make an attempt to come anywhere near me or the rest of the gang.  And it turns out that Lindsay is reviewing the show for the sponsor Bloom Galleries.

After another two hours he has a stack of cards and a big but sleepy smile on his face.  Slick had organised the stretch for us and all in all it’s been a fucking excellent evening, though I do have a worry about the review Lindsay’s going to write.

DEBS HOUSE – SUNDAY AFTERNOON

Well judging by the closeness between Slick and Lindon I say the problem has been resolved.  I’m happy for her; she needs someone like Lindon. He’s quiet when she needs him to be.

Michael has been grinning like a Cheshire cat since he got here and seems to be bursting at the seams and Lindsay has been looking unpleasantly smug.  Slick has just been quietly smiling that smile.

Justin is pretending not to notice that Brian is helping himself to the torte from his plate, which is annoying Michael to no end.  He’s surrounded by people who have moved on without him.

“Excuse me, excuse me. Everyone I have an announcement to make!”  Michael stands up and smirks at Slick and the room goes quiet. “As of Friday I no longer own Red Cape Comics.”

“What?”  Ben demands.

“There’s more.  I will continue to work there but will no longer own the shop.  And also I am the proud owner of a mint condition 1944 Marvel Comic, which will appreciate in value and…”

“What do you mean continue to work there?  How does that work?”  Ben interrupts.  “What about Jenny? Will you start paying your support now?”

“I don’t want to divulge the intricacies of the transaction but this works out better for me. I was getting tired of the ownership side of the business. Now I get to do what I do best…”

“Sit on your ass and read comics and get paid by someone else?”  Hunter snarks.

“You didn’t answer the support question, I notice.”  Mel points out.

“Is there a cooling off period with this deal?”  Carl asks.

“There is but I have waived my right to it.”

“You’ve done what?!”  Ted snaps.  “Michael I’m only saying this for Jenny’s sake. Call whoever you made this deal with back and ask for the cooling off period to be put back on the table!  Have you had this checked out by a lawyer?”

“Lindsay looked it over for me and saw no problems.”

Ted rubs his temples.  “I said a lawyer, not a Lindsay!  Just because she lived with one doesn’t make her one.  No offence Mel.”

“None taken.”

“Listen!  This is my life and I will live it the way I see fit!”  He snaps.  “So Slick you will have to deal with the new owner of the shop and…”

“Oh wait everyone!”  Lindsay calls out as her phone rings.  “My news is finally here, listen to this.” She puts the phone on speaker.

She pauses for dramatic effect.  “Hello Sidney.  How are you?”

“Not great I’m afraid.”

“Oh what’s wrong? Nothing serious I hope?”

“Not for me, but for you.  I’m sorry Lindsay but I can’t approve the review of this art show.”

Her face falls, clearly not what she was expecting.  “Why not?”

“Well frankly, it’s not very encompassing.  You have concentrated on one artist alone and the pictures you have and I use the word loosely, commented, on aren’t his.  Tell me is there a history between you and Justin Taylor?” Lindsay is now bright red and silent.  “Lindsay, I asked if there is a history between you and Justin Taylor.  Lindsay are you there?”

“Yes.”  She croaks.  “C-can I call you back Sidney.  I’m sure we can…”

“You can if you like but it’s not going to change my mind. Luckily I had another member of staff there just in case, so we will use their review.  I’m free on Monday but after that I’m in New York for the rest of the week.  The whole point of a review is that you look at all the art and take your personal feelings out of it.  To be honest, this came across as a vendetta against a young man who has a great talent.  Goodbye Lindsay.”

“Was that the news you were expecting?”  Daphne asks sweetly.  “Because if it was, it was very brave of you to share such a soul-crushing smackdown.”

“I…”

“Were you going to be paid for that review?”  Slick asks.

“Lindsay don’t worry. I can support you from what I’m being paid by my new bosses.  And you can stay for as long as you need to”

“Can support your friend but not your daughter?  Infuckingcredible!”  Hunter snarls.

“Obviously I meant support both of them Hunter!” Michael’s defensive tone falls on deaf ears.

Slick clears her throat.  “Uh Michael.  So let me get this straight.  You’ve sold your comic book store in exchange for one comic and agreed to work in the comic book store you used to own?  What about your stock? What happens to that?”

“I get to keep that.”

“Where?”

“Pardon?”

“Where do you get to keep it?”  Slick repeats slowly and I can see Lindon smirking.

“In the store of course.  Where else would I keep it?”

“But surely the new owners would have their own stock?”  Carl points out.

“I don’t know.  All I know is that I get to keep my collectibles.”

“You’ll have to move them and you can’t put them in the apartment. It would be a fire hazard.”

“You can’t tell me where to put my collectibles.  It’s not up to you!”

“As the owner of Phoenix Rising Comics and the new owner of Red Cape Comics, soon to be called Phoenix Rising Comics Downtown; as well as being your landlord and your new boss, yeah I kinda can!”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be constructive and kind when reviewing.  Thank you.