- Text Size +

CHAPTER 47: HOISTED BY THEIR OWN PETARD*

*to be a victim of their own schemes

 

THE LOFT – MONDAY EVENING

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian had to work late so I made my own way home from Slick’s.  When I approach, I can see that Michael is sitting on the stoop and I am too tired to deal with him.  So I go round the back of the building and knock on the Super’s door. Luckily like most of Liberty Avenue, he’s not a fan of Michael so he lets me in.

 

Fortunately, he doesn’t see me going up the stairs and I’ve not been in five minutes when the buzzer goes. He must have been checking the windows every two minutes or something!

 

“Hello?”

 

“Yeah, hi I’m from the 2nd floor and I’ve forgotten my key, can you let me in please?”

 

“No, sorry.”

 

“What do you mean no?  I live here and…”

 

I cut him off and call Brian.  “Hey, are you on your way home?  Okay, heads up Michael is outside, so go around the back if you don’t want to deal with him.  I’ll let him know.  Later.”

 

OUTSIDE THE LOFT

 

MICHAEL

 

Fucking asshole... whoever that guy was.  I jump out of my skin when there’s a knock on the door behind me.  I see the Super and smile at him and call through the door.

 

“Hi, can you let me in? I need to go to Brian Kinney’s apartment.  He wants me to…”

 

“Look buddy.”  He interrupts.  “I know who you are. You and your blonde lady friend are not allowed in the building.”

 

“Yes I am!  I’m his best friend!”

 

“No entry.  Now please leave.”

 

I stare at his retreating back for a few minutes before going to my car to wait out Brian.  After an hour, I notice that the lights on the 4th floor are on.  But I don’t see how I could’ve missed him.  I head back to the building and hit the buzzer.

 

“What is it?”  A voice that isn’t Brian comes over.

 

“It’s Michael, here to see Brian. Can you let me in?”

 

“I said no before and I’m saying no again. Go away Michael!”

 

“Is…is that you Justin?  What are you doing there?”

 

Silence.

 

I lean on the buzzer for a good five minutes but nobody answers. Feeling pissed I head home.

 

MICHAEL’S APARTMENT

 

LINDSAY

 

I stare at him in disbelief for a minute.

 

“Why did you go to see Brian?  Surely preparing for the trial next week is much more important?”

 

“Lindsay, of course it is but I had to see him to…”

 

“What?”  I snap.  “Michael we could go to jail next week!”

 

“Ridiculous... that is not going to happen!”  He fumes.

 

“Isn’t it?!  Rumour has it that Craig Taylor is going to jail for 5 years!”

 

He goes pale and sits down.

 

“And how do you propose to pay your part of the legal fees?  And the rent... isn’t that due at the end of the week?”

 

“Well obviously you will pay half of the…”

 

I scowl at him.  “Yes I know it’s obvious but where are you going to get your half?”

 

“I’ll go to Mother.”

 

“I’m going to bed.”  I sigh, shaking my head at this latest turn of events.

 

DINER – TUESDAY LATE MORNING

 

DEBS

 

I still can’t believe after all the men he’s been through that Justin is the one for him.  There’s nothing wrong with Justin of course, I love the kid, but it’s just I have never seen Brian look so happy.  As the door opens I sigh, and here is the reason for most of his unhappiness.

 

“Mom may I speak to you?”

 

I raise my eyebrows.  Oh I’m mom now?  “What do you want Michael?”

 

“In private please?”

 

I look across at Kiki who nods and I take him to the office.

 

“What is it?”

 

He shuffles on his feet.  “My behaviour lately has been appalling and I want to apologise to you.”

 

“To me?”

 

“Yes, I realise I have hurt you and caused you great distress and I…”

 

“Hold it.  What do you want Michael?  This is a complete turnaround for you…”

 

“As I was saying.”  He smiles tightly and I see the slight roll of his eyes.  “My behaviour over the last few weeks has…”

 

“Weeks?  Try 9 months.  Ever since you moved over to the posh side of the gaybourhood.”

 

“That was Ben’s influence and…”

 

“He wasn’t calling me mother, you were.  He wasn’t lecturing me on my dating life, you were.  He knows more about your daughter, sorry ex-daughter’s school and life than you do.  So again…what.do.you.want?”

 

“I’m going to be having a little…”

 

“Money then?  You do realise you have a little goldmine that you are sitting on?  Correction, hoarding since childhood?”

 

He looks confused then he realises.  “No!  I’m not selling them! They will appreciate in value the longer I keep them.”

 

“Michael Charles Novotny, you are the only one that will benefit from this appreciation!  Get this clear… I am not bailing you out of this clusterfuck you and Lindsay created.  Now I have to go back to my shift.”

 

I push him out ahead of me and watch him leave with another reproachful look in my direction.

 

“Well held.”  Emmett kisses me on the cheek.

 

MICHAEL

 

I can’t believe she refused to help and to suggest that I sell my collectibles... Well that’s just silly!

 

As I pass her comic book store, I wish I can go in but fucking Kyle has banned me from both of them.  I need to get money from somewhere though and quickly.  I head to the apartment to find Lindsay just finishing off a call.

 

“Of course Mr Hughes.  Actually he’s just come in. I’ll tell him and we’ll see you then.”

 

“What’s going on?”

 

“We need to go to see Hughes this afternoon at five. They’ve bought our trial forward.  It’s going to be on Friday now.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Something to do with the Taylor/Gold trial.  We’re going to be called for that too.”

 

“But Hughes said that we weren’t going to be charged.”

 

She sighs crossly.  “I said called not charged.  We are going to be witnesses.”

 

“Oh I see.  Now Lindsay, you know the support money you got for Gus and Jenny, did you spend it all on them or did you save some for a rainy day?”

 

“Mel and I used the money as we saw fit and…”

 

“Whatever is left of that money is half mine, because you wouldn’t have got it without Jenny and you wouldn’t have gotten Jenny without me.”

 

She looks astonished.  “Are you kidding me?”

 

“No.”  I smirk at her expression.  “I’m very serious.  I want half.”

 

“Excuse me Michael, I need some air.”

 

She gives me a filthy look before heading to the kitchen, I shrug it off.

 

LINDSAY

 

I am fucking seething as I go to collect my purse.  Just as I start to leave something catches my eye.

 

I walk up to the art shop and collect what I need for tonight before heading to the bus stop.

 

By the time I reach my destination, I am calmer and determined to teach that idiot a lesson.

 

PHOENIX COMICS UPTOWN

 

KYLE’S OFFICE

 

KYLE

 

I’m staring at BB in surprise.  “Are you, I mean is he, absolutely sure?”

 

“Absolutely.”  She replies with a bright smile.  “Obviously because of the ban he couldn’t come here himself…”

 

“Okay if you want to step outside for a moment, I just need to place a call.”

 

She takes a seat still smiling brightly and I call Joshua first and then Slick.

 

“Yes, I’m looking at it right now!  I’ve spoken to Joshua, he’s expecting your call by the way.  So what do I do?  Uh huh, okay, yep.  That’s the top limit right anything else?  What about a cooling off period? Okay no problem, see you later.”

 

Taking a deep breath, I open my door and usher BB back in.  “You have a deal.  $10000 because of the damage obviously.”

 

“That’s perfect.  What do we do now?”

 

I nod.  “We offer a cooling off period before the sale is transacted just to make…”

 

“No I’m positive, that’s what needs to be done.  Can we complete this now?  His need, as you’ve most probably heard, is great.”  She smiles at me again.

 

“Can you sign the waiver for the cooling off period then?”  She quickly signs and hands it back.

 

Twenty minutes later, she leaves smiling and I call the restorers.

 

BRITIN – LATE AFTERNOON

 

JUSTIN’S STUDIO

 

JUSTIN

 

Baloo is snuffling in his sleep and judging by the twitching, he’s chasing squirrels again!

 

“Hey how’s it going?”  I turn and smile at Brian, who has Bagheera glued to his ankles as usual when we’re indoors.

 

“Just putting the finishing touches, though I’m stopping soon.  The light is going but I’m really pleased with it.”

 

“I can’t wait to see it…”  He holds up his hands.  “I know Slick has to see it first but if your other stuff is anything to go by, it is going to be awesome.”

 

I beam at him.  We finally got around to reading the review of the GLC art show and they were really complimentary about my work.  I really want to know what Lindsay’s review said but Sidney said he deleted any trace of it and told Lindsay that if she insisted on keeping it, she must remove any reference to Bloom from it or he would sue her for reputational damage!

 

I stretch a bit and can feel my hand cramping. Wrapping his arms round me, he takes my hand and starts to rub my palm. I lean back into his chest and sigh.

 

“You’re stopping now.  Come on, let’s take them for a walk.”

 

Ten minutes later, B&B were scampering down to the brook.

 

“Debs told me that Michael came in looking for money earlier.”

 

Brian tells me holding my hand and helping me across the brook so there’s no repeat of the last time I tried to cross here.

 

“And what happened?”  I ask carefully. Although he’s been hurt terribly by them, there’s still a small part of him that cares.

 

“She told him to sell his collectibles and he predictably said no and she sent him out.”

 

“Do you think he will…I mean what will you do if he comes to you?”

 

He tilts my chin up and kisses me softly.  “Same as Debs.  I’m not going to be used by them again.”

 

Inside I’m happy dancing but my face remains impassive.

 

“As Emmy Lou said to Debs well held.”  He grins.  “Okay let’s call the boys back in half an hour. We need to go to the loft tonight.  I have 7:30 meeting and don’t fancy the drive from here.”

 

MICHAEL’S APARTMENT

 

LINDSAY

 

When Michael and I got back from the attorney’s office, we were relieved and somewhat hopeful.

 

“Michael, you need to check your bank. The money should be there by now.”  I tell him.

 

He grins at me and scampers to check. While he’s doing that I grab the rubbish and head to the compactor and dump it in as far as I can without actually crawling in myself and switch it on.

 

When I get back upstairs, he’s still smiling.  “I would’ve asked for half a couple of years…”

 

“You wouldn’t have gotten it. Now that’s all you’re getting, so don’t ask for anymore.”  I warn.

 

He holds his hands up.  “Fancy take out?  Maybe Thai or Chinese?”

 

“Chinese please. Let me just get the menu.”

 

“So did you get what Hughes was saying was going to happen on Friday?”

 

“Weren’t you listen…never mind.  On Friday, instead of a trial by jury, there is going to be just us and a judge and the lawyers.  Because it’s a first time and Class C for us, they don’t think it’s necessary so the judge is just going to read the documentation and tell us what is going to happen to us.  As for your attempted assault charge, I’m not sure…”

 

“I can’t believe that fucking brat won’t drop the charges.”  He whines.

 

“Because you attempted to hit him in an unprovoked attack.”  I explain slowly.

 

“I was provoked; he was being a bitch to me!”

 

“Then you hit back with words, not whatever the hell you were trying to do.  Now let’s leave this and just have a nice dinner and why not get a couple bottles of wine when you go to collect it, a red and a white?”

 

“Okay, so what are we having?”

 

MICHAEL

 

I’ve got the wine and am just picking up the food when I see them.  Walking up the street without a care in the world, it looks like they’ve come from Emmett’s judging by the bag.

 

“Coventry!”  I wince at the new nickname I have acquired. “Thanks!”

 

I grab the bag and dash out but they’re gone most likely on their way back to Britin.  I still don’t understand what he sees in him despite what everyone says.

 

I head home with a plan in mind. If he can get Brian by being the way he is, then I can get Brian back by being like Justin!

 

THE LOFT

 

BEDROOM

 

BRIAN

 

“Lemon mousse?”  Justin is looking at me in amazement.

 

“Yeah, only you and Emmy Lou know about my secret.”

 

“Mmm, it is good though.  Want the last bit?”  He looks at me with a please say no expression.

 

“Please.”

 

I watch the little moue of disappointment set on his beautiful mouth and kiss him. The groan when I slide some of the mousse in is hot!

 

“Door closed?”  He whispers against my mouth.

 

“Uh huh, less talking more kissing.”

 

Ten tongue-filled minutes later, I’ve moved down to his neck and he’s working on my shirt.

 

“Oh, you smell so good.”  I groan nuzzling and licking behind his ear

 

“Your fault.”  He moans back, I lift my head.  “Used the ginger shower gel.”

 

He swats my ass.  “Ouch, what was that for?”

 

“Hiding it in the first place.”  He raises an eyebrow.

 

“I didn’t hide it. I merely put it in a place I didn’t think you would look.”

 

“Can we discuss definition of hiding afterwards?”  

 

I get off him and he looks surprised.  “Pants.”  I explain and quickly kick them off.

 

Within seconds, we are both naked and I make my way down to my favourite place.  “Justin, do we still have any of that oil here?”

 

Kissing me, he pads to the bathroom and then comes back with a very happy expression on his face.

 

“I haven’t had a massage in ages.  Strawberry or peach?”  He bounces on the bed waving the bottles at me.

 

“Peach.”  I take it and tell him to turn over, which he does with some alacrity.

 

Starting with his shoulders and down his arms, I massage the oil in deeply paying particular attention to his hand, which I knew was aching earlier. Then I massage down his back, causing him to giggle and squirm when I ghost his sides.

 

“Feeling relaxed?”  I purr in his ear.

 

“Mmm.”

 

I slide my hands down his butt and work the oil gently into each cheek until he’s pushing into my hands and softly moaning.  Kissing along the base of his spine causes him to gasp as the tingles start.

 

Coating my fingers in the oil, I part his cheeks and slide one finger in, and thrust gently, he groans then suddenly his head snaps up and he looks at me wide eyed.

 

“Brian, oh wow!”  He grabs for the pillow and shoves it towards me, I put it under his hips.

 

“Good?”  I chuckle.

 

“Feels like a thousand little fires, oh God!”

 

I slide in two more fingers and thrust gently. Watching his body suck my fingers in so greedily is so sexy and the noises he’s making makes my cock leak.

 

“Now?”  I pant into his ear.

 

“Yes, yes, yes, please yes!”  He yelps.

 

I coat my dick with pre-cum while continuing to finger him. He whimpers when I slide my fingers out.  “Turn over.”  I press his hip gently.

 

Looking into his eyes, I wrap his legs round my waist and slide into him.

 

“Wait.”  He whispers.  “Feel it first.”  He groans and arches his head back into the pillow.  I suck on his neck and then gasp as the tingles hit me.

 

“Holy…oh God!”

 

It feels a million times better than when he gave me a blow job with it.  I don’t want to move and I think my cock is getting harder and harder.

 

“Brian, did you just…oh God!”

 

I start to thrust slowly. Everything feels so hot and I know I’m not going to last and judging by the cries and squeals of Justin, he’s close too.

 

“Oh!  Mmmmm!  Aaaah!”  I shout and slump on top of him. I can’t stop my hips moving.

 

“Brian I-I oh fuck!  Yes!”  Justin screams into my ear, clenching hard.

 

When he finally stops shuddering, he drops his legs from round my waist.  Gently I pull out and roll off him. We look dazedly at each other.

 

“Ted…”  I croak.

 

“No I’m Justin.”  He snorts gently.

 

“Twat.”  I smile, brushing his cheek.  “No. I need Ted to take the meeting tomorrow morning.”

 

“Why?”  He pants, starting to sit up but slumping back down.

 

“Because once we’ve got the energy, it’s your turn.”

 

“Great.  Call Ted now before we go to sleep.”  He mumbles, turning into my side.

 

Five minutes later, we’re sound asleep and after my turn, it’s his again. We didn’t wake up until lunchtime.

 

ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE – FRIDAY MORNING

 

COURTROOM 2

 

JUDGE PHILIPS

 

“As has been explained to the defendants, there is no jury. This is just me giving a judicial response.  Having read the documentation, I would like to ask why you did this Mr Novotny, as to me you are the instigator of this.”

 

I can’t believe this idiot just preened at that!

 

“I was protecting my best friend.  I had no idea that his father would react in such a way.”

 

“That’s not the impression I got from the statement from Ms Peterson’s former lawyer.  He said that you relished what had happened to Justin Taylor, both of you did.”

 

I look through the papers some more.  “And what were you protecting him from… your best friend I mean?”

 

“From the manipulations of Justin Taylor. He’s…”

 

“I have a victim’s statement here. It seems to me that the persons that Mr Kinney, your former best friend, needs protecting from are you and Ms Peterson.  Are you and Ms Peterson aware that he could press charges against you retrospectively for fraud?”

 

Ms Peterson blinks rapidly and he looks a little surprised.  “Fraud?”

 

“Yes, the support issue.  But that appears to have resolved itself.  So why did you let Justin Taylor’s father know where he was working, how was that protecting your best friend?”

 

“I felt that…”

 

“I understand that after the incident with Mr Taylor, restraining orders were taken out against you and three times you were arrested for flagrantly disregarding them.  This shows to me that you have no respect for the law and that combined with the danger you placed Ms Phoenix and her employees in…” His snort and rolling of eyes cause me to glare at him and his lawyer smacks his arm. “You don’t think you placed her in danger?”

 

“No, of course not.”

 

“So you don’t feel that you are due some blame for the attempted kidnapping of Miss Phoenix?”

 

“No.” He folds his arms and rolls his eyes again.  “What people do with information is up to them.”

  

“Well I do and my opinion is the one that matters.  Ms Peterson please stand.  No Mr Novotny, remain standing. I’m about to pass sentence.”

 

I clear my throat and look at both of them.

 

“I find you both guilty of aiding and abetting Craig Taylor; both guilty in the failure of duty of care and endangerment to Justin Taylor and both guilty in the case of endangerment of Ms Phoenix…”

 

“No! That’s not fair!”  He shouts.

 

“Silence!”

 

“The fact that you disregarded the restraining orders and have shown no remorse, leaves me no other recourse but a custodial sentence, which in this case could be five years.  However, since these actions seem to me to be caused by jealousy, stupidity and malice aforefought, I will give you the minimum custodial sentence I can which is two months but then you will be placed on probation for the remaining 4 years and 10 months.  Should you do anything to Justin Taylor, Ms Phoenix or anything else illegal, you will be returned to jail to complete the sentence and any other sentence will run concurrently.”

 

At this Ms Peterson bursts into tears. Your tears should have been for the misery you put those people through not for the predicament you find yourself in!  I think angrily, the amount of people like them I see in my court sicken me.

 

“However, due to the Taylor/Gold trial, which I understand you will be witnesses of; you will be under house arrest with an ankle tag for the duration of the trial.  This is not expected to last more than two weeks.  During that time I would suggest you get your affairs in order, once that trial is at an end you will be sent to Pittsburgh Correctional Facility to begin your sentence.  Ms Peterson you are dismissed.  Bailiff please remove her.”

 

She is still crying as she is led out.  I turn to Mr Novotny.

 

“Now with regards to the attempted assault charges against Hunter Bruckner, do you have anything to say?”

 

“He’s always been disrespectful to me and…”

 

“He’s dropped the charges.  Against my better judgement I might add. Instead you will make restitution to him in the amount of $5000, payable today. Mr Hughes will be able to assist with that.  Court is dismissed.”

 

As he is led away and I slump in my seat, I wait until the court has just myself and the lawyers.

 

“Mr Hughes a piece of advice for you, if I may?”

 

“Yes your honour.”

 

“Cut your losses and run.”

 

He nods.  “Way ahead of you, your honour.”

 

FULLER & HUGHES – EARLY AFTERNOON

 

JEFFREY HUGHES’S OFFICE

 

JEFFREY

 

I’m having a hard time keeping a straight face as Michael virtually cries as the ankle bracelet is attached but Lindsay seems somewhat catatonic.  I don’t think either of them thought they would be facing jail.

 

“I can’t believe this is happening.”  He wails.  “That’s too tight!”

 

“It has to be like this so you can’t take it off.”  The officer replies, rolling his eyes.

 

Twenty minutes later it’s all done.

 

“Right you can leave your home and go within 3 miles of this office or home and can’t leave the state.  Any attempts to remove it will result in your immediate incarceration.  Understood?  Nod, say yes or no or I understand.”

 

“Yes.”  He snivels.

 

“I understand.”  She seems to be coming back into the land of the living.

 

Once the officer leaves, they turn to me.  “We can appeal this right?”  Lindsay asks.

 

“Yes…”

 

“Thank goodness, we’d like to…”

 

“But I would advise against it, until after the Taylor/Gold trial.  In the meantime, you need to settle your bill.”

 

“How much is it?”  Lindsay asks.

 

“I just need to use the bathroom. Be right back.”  He stalks out, wiping his eyes.

 

“In total $7700, excluding taxes.”

 

“Oh not as much as I thought it would be.”  She remarks and takes out her card.  “Put half of it on here and when Michael comes back tell him I’ve gone to sort out my affairs and will see him at home.”

 

I nod and watch her leave and then wait for another 15 minutes for him to come back.  He frowns when he doesn’t see Lindsay but then puts on his coat.

 

“Well I guess we’ll see you after the trial then.”  He heads to the door.

 

“Uh Mr Novotny, you still need to settle your part of the bill.”  I call out.

 

“Oh I thought that…”

 

“You thought wrong.  And the restitution for Hunter Bruckner needs to be paid too.”

 

He grimaces and pulls out his card and the bill is settled.  “Why couldn’t I just write a check for Hunter?”

 

“This way it gets paid.  Good day Mr Novotny.”

 

“But we’ll see you after the trial?”

 

“No I’ll be away but I can recommend someone for you when I get back.”

 

I show him to the door and turn to my secretary.  “Under no circumstances are they to be let in to this office or put through to anyone who works here and I mean anyone not even the cleaner!”

 

MICHAEL’S APARTMENT – EARLY EVENING

 

MICHAEL

 

I have been waiting for Lindsay for the past hour. I can’t believe she just up and left me there.  Finally, she’s back.

 

“Where have you been?”  I demand.

 

She looks surprised and annoyed.  “I don’t answer to you Michael.  I have been getting my affairs in order, as suggested by the judge.”

 

I was about to ask her about the recycling when the door knocks.  I open it to Slick.

 

“What do you want?”

 

“Rent is due and you must pay it.  Lindsay here’s your receipt. You left it in the diner.”

 

“You paid her directly?”  I grit out.

 

“Yes.  Now I’ll leave you to conduct your business. It’s been a very trying day.”

 

She heads to her bedroom and closes the door.

 

“Will take cash or cash.”

 

“I don’t have that on me…”  I stall.

 

“Cashpoint machine down the road, I’ll wait.”  She takes a seat.

 

“Not here. I’ll bring it to you in the diner in twenty minutes.”

 

“Nope.  Lindsay, can you come out for a minute?”  She calls out.

 

Lindsay comes out looking cross.  “What is it now?  I’ve paid my…”

 

“Michael doesn’t trust me not to do anything whilst he’s at the cashpoint machine. So if you could watch over me until he comes back with the money, he’d feel so much better.”

 

Before she could answer the door knocks again and this time it’s her boyfriend. How she has a boyfriend and I don’t, is anybody’s guess.

 

“Not leaving you alone with these two fuckers.”

 

Lindsay’s eyes widen but she says nothing to that. Instead she turns to me.  “Michael, the quicker you go and come back, the quicker they leave.”

 

I’m back within ten minutes and have my receipt for the rent.

 

As she leaves she turns to us and smiles.  “Obviously during your incarceration, it would be churlish to charge you rent. If you wish to return, let me know two weeks before your release so…”

 

“You told her!”  I spit at Lindsay.

 

Slick laughs in the face of my indignation.  “Michael, it hit the Avenue 10 minutes after you were sentenced and since Lindsay was in lock up, the answer to that is no she didn’t. Enjoy the rest of your free…I mean weekend.”

 

As she closes the door behind her I pinch the bridge of my nose and take a controlling breath.

 

“Fancy some wine?”  I ask.

 

“No I have a headache. I’m going to lie down, good…”

 

“Oh okay.  By the way have you seen my comic?”

 

“Which one?”  She sighs.

 

“The one I bought from Slick of course. I left it in the kitchen by the…” I dash to the trash cans and go through the recycling.  “Lindsay! Did you take the recycling down?”

 

“Yes.  Earlier in the week. Why?”

 

“Oh my God oh my God oh my fucking God!”  I wail.  “My comic was by there. I was going to take it to the restorers to see what they could do!”

 

I dash downstairs to the compactor and find it empty and I trudge slowly upstairs.

“Gone.”  I sob.  “It’s gone.”

 

She pulls me into a comforting hug as I sniffle.  “I could’ve got at least $20 grand for it after restoration.  Sorry Lindsay but I’m going to bed. This has been a fucking awful day.”

 

LINDSAY

 

As I watch him close his bedroom door, I grab the bottle of wine and a glass and head to my room.  I howl with laughter into my pillow then pour myself a very large glass of wine and toast myself.

 

You wanted money Michael; you got it.  Consider yourself fucked without lube!

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive.  Thanks