- Text Size +

CHAPTER 50: RULES, PORTRAIT, PRISON ‘BREAK’ & BROOK BENTON

 

BRITIN – MONDAY MORNING

 

KITCHEN

 

JUSTIN

 

I woke up to an empty bed because Brian didn’t wake me before he left this morning but when I got downstairs, there was a note on the fridge from him.  Didn’t take all the chicken but did take all the cherries and salad. Will bring some cherries home tonight.  Love B.

 

We had to get up and shower after our declarations last night and neither of us said anything, just changed the bedding, spooned and went to sleep.

 

I head to the studio to finish off the portrait of Slick’s mom, where Baloo is waiting patiently outside.  Even if the door is open, he never goes in if I’m not there.

 

Taking off the covering of the canvas, I hope she likes it.  She has her smile and the glint in her eye.  She gave me a few pictures of her and said it was up to me to pick the one that I wanted to paint.

 

Within minutes I’m lost in my work.

 

MICHAEL’S APARTMENT

 

LINDSAY

 

I can’t believe tomorrow I go to jail.  My parents have said that when I come out I have to make a decision as to where I want to be, either back amongst them or here.  I have a lot of thinking to do.

 

But our first priorities, apart from packing, are to persuade Michael to get his hair sorted out and to not wear his new look.  Currently, he’s glaring at Debs whose idea is the haircut and Carl is unpacking his bag.

 

“I want to wear this. What's the fucking problem?!”

 

“Well first you will be a laughing stock and those who aren’t laughing will be trying to rip it off you in both good and bad ways!”  Debs snaps back.

 

“How about a compromise?  Michael keeps his hair but leaves his new look for when he comes out. At least that way he’s starting a new life with a new outlook, what do you think?  Surely that is doable?”

 

The silence stretches on until finally Michael nods.  “But you are going to have to dye it. You need to draw as little attention to yourself as you can.”  Debs tells him.

 

“Mother stop mollycoddling me. It’s a correctional facility not…”

 

“It’s still jail Michael!”  Debs growls.  “Medium security jail!  Where people still get killed for opening up a mouth!”

 

“This is Pittsburgh. They don’t have Alcatraz or Ryker’s style prisons here so…”

 

“Michael, unless you’ve been in prison and I’m not aware of it, you don’t know shit.  So shut up and listen!” I rebuke him.  “Debs, can you get some hair dye and Carl this prison for him, I thought it would be the same as mine, as in I can wear my own clothes.”

 

“Yes you can but you’re in a lower category prison than Michael.   Yours is a low risk one.”

 

“Wait how is that fair?  We both did the same thing!”  Michael rails once again.

 

“Yes but it was you who made the calls twice.”  Carl points out.

 

“Lindsay was hardly the innocent little fucking lamb in this. She wanted this as much as I did!”

 

“That’s as maybe but she didn’t attack Hunter, which you did.  So you’re in a medium risk prison and she’s not.”

 

“But he dropped the charges!”  Michael whines.

 

“You still went for him, unprovoked. So there you go.”  Carl goes back to unpacking his bag.

 

“I won’t be long!”  Debs calls out and is gone.

 

DEBS

 

Although I’m devastated that Michael is going to jail, I think this is what he needs- enforced distance from Brian.  I head to the pharmacy and grab some hair dye and start to head back when I see the son of my heart.

 

“Hey kiddo!”  I shout and he looks up.  Bagheera almost helicopters off the sidewalk when he sees me.  I cross the road and give them both some love.

 

“Where are you two going?”  I ask, tucking my arm into his.

 

“Diner.  What about you?”  He moves me so that I’m not walking nearest the road, something I know he’s picked up from Justin.

 

“Back to Michael’s to dye his hair.”  I roll my eyes.

 

“Oh thank fuck!  He wouldn’t survive a day in there with that.”  He laughs then sighs.  “Ma, I…”

 

“Don’t.   This is all on them.  Nothing to do with you…either of you.  I’ve known you don’t love them like that since forever.  And deep down they know it too, so stop.”

 

“Okay.  It’s just…”

 

“Stop!  You want me to crack you upside the head?”

 

“No.  Stopping I promise.”

 

“See you later kiddo.”  I kiss him on the cheek and watch them head into the diner and turn back towards Michael’s place.

 

MICHAEL’S APARTMENT

 

MICHAEL

 

I have tried to sneak in a couple of the tops I bought but Carl caught me and has now put the bag where he can see it.

 

Finally, mother is back.  “What took you so long?”

 

“Michael.”  Carl growls.

 

“It’s okay Carl.  I bumped into Brian and was talking to him for a bit.”

 

“Did he ask about me?”  They look at me as if my eagerness to know is nauseating.

 

“No.  But he did express relief that you were dyeing your hair back to its normal colour…”

 

“Because he prefers me dark haired?”

 

“No because he said you wouldn’t last a day with it like that. Now come on!”

 

“Wait Brian knows we are going to jail tomorrow?”  Lindsay sounds surprised.

 

“Yes all victims are advised of what happens so I should imagine he was there when Justin was called.”  Carl replies.

 

“Mother come on! You're the one that wants my hair dyed so let’s get on with it.”

 

“Mention Brian and now he’s in a rush.”  She grumbles but follows me into the bathroom.

 

FORECOURT OF 57TH PRECINCT – TUESDAY MORNING

 

CORRECTIONAL FACILITIES OFFICER – MALE VAN

 

“What are you waiting for Novotny?  Get in!”

 

“They need to move down.”  He pouts.

 

I do not have time for this! Time for a hard knock life lesson.  “Listen Novotny.  You have a pretty mouth but an ugly tongue.  Fix that or someone will fix it for you!  Now get in!”

 

He clambers in and crosses his arms, glowering at me.  I’m going to suggest he’s put in with Hiram Pickles. At least he’s straight and so he won’t have to worry about nocturnal activities.  But from what Carl and Grim have told me, he’s going to be his worst enemy in there and there is only so much we guards can do.

 

He keeps looking at the gate and I wonder who for. I slam the door shut. Whoever it is, it’s too late.

 

CORRECTIONAL FACILITIES OFFICER – FEMALE VAN

 

“Peterson!”

 

“Present.”

 

“Get in, keep your head down and you’ll be fine.”  I tell her.

 

She nods and gets in quietly.  Looks like I got the lesser of the two evils, thank goodness. I couldn’t deal with a female version of Novotny.

 

MEL & JENNY’S HOUSE – THURSDAY MORNING

 

MEL

 

I had finally got around to going through the joint finances and separating them out and I still can’t believe what I have fucking found.  Now that she’s incarcerated and we’re still legally committed, I have total control over the finances.  Turns out she’s syphoned off at least $25,000 from the support account into a secondary account under it!

 

I called Ted and whilst it’s not fraud in the fullest sense of the word, she’s been very underhanded. Well two can play that game.  After some sweet words from Ted to the President of the bank, it’s back where it belongs.  When she’s out, it’s going to be interesting to say the least.

 

BRITIN – FRIDAY LUNCHTIME

 

STUDIO

 

SLICK

 

“Ready?”  Justin asks quietly.

 

I nod and he pulls the covering off the canvas. The room is so quiet, I think I can hear everyone’s heartbeat.  Finally, I look up and stare at the picture. And wouldn’t you know it but he picked my favourite one.  We were at grandma’s house and it was minutes after we moved in; her face a mixture of relief and happiness.

 

“Perfect.”  I whisper.  “May I touch her?”

 

“Of course.”

 

“So vibrant... it’s just perfect.”  I murmur.

 

“Christ Justin, it’s incredible.  You’re incredible!”  Brian’s voice is thick with emotion.

 

“Thanks.”  He clears his throat.  “I-I can suggest a frame unless you want to take it as is?”

 

“No, she needs framing.  And as the subject would say take it home baby.”  Justin frowns.  “Whenever she said that, it means finish what you started.  But Brian’s right, your talent is incredible!”

 

He blushes and grins.  “Can I cover her now?”

 

I nod.  “How long until she’s mine?”

 

“About a week.”

 

I pull him into a fierce Debs-esque hug.  “You do realise we need to go dancing?  She loved to dance and…”

 

“Tomorrow.  That’s what we’ll do.”  Brian decrees firmly.  “Let Emmy Lou know.

 

PITTSBURGH MEDIUM SECURITY CORRECTIONAL FACILITY

 

MICHAEL’S CELL

 

HIRAM, MICHAEL’S CELLMATE

 

For fuck sake, that boy needs to take responsibility!  I read about him and what he conspired to do to the Taylor boy. Personally, I think his father should’ve gotten longer for what he did and the way Michael talks about it all being Justin’s fault like a broken record, is irksome.

 

“Michael.  Why isn’t what you’ve done your fault?”

 

This stops his tirade of self-pity.  “Because it’s not!  I wouldn’t have done anything if...”

 

“So because Justin exists in Brian’s world it makes it okay for you to try and oust him from it?”

 

He rolls his eyes, again. Well that needs to stop.  I stand up and slap him across the face.

 

“What the hell was that for?!” He shrieks, clutching his cheek.

 

“Disrespect!  You don’t roll your eyes at me or anyone else in here for that matter, you understand?  There is nobody and I mean nobody else to blame for this fucked up life of yours but you!  You go on and on about how Brian doesn’t do anything he doesn’t want to but don’t want to see that being with Justin is what he wants to do.  Now shut up about it, accept it or not, but move on!”

 

I grab my book and start from where I left off, knowing that this won’t be the last time I have to correct his behaviour.

 

MICHAEL

 

Wait until tomorrow Hiram!  I’m going to tell them what you did and request a cell transfer, you fucking bastard!

 

BABYLON – EARLY SUNDAY MORNING

 

BRIAN

 

This is almost the perfect end to the perfect week.  We’ve been dancing all night and laughing with all of our friends when I realise what the difference is.  No Michael.  There is no way for him to get to us, to intrude and drip his malice over the evening; I am so fucking happy!

 

I take Justin’s hand and tug him to the dance floor and mould my body round his as we sway to the music.

 

“Had a good night?”  I whisper in his ear.

 

“Mmm perfect.”  He snuggles in closer.

 

The tempo changes and surprisingly enough I recognise the song that comes on and start to sing in his ear:

 

Your lips on mine are soft as dew

Your kiss is so divine

Your eyes are like the skies of blue

And stars that brightly shine

Your voice is sweet like violins

And warm like summer days

I love you, I love you, I love you

In oh, oh, so many, many ways

Your touch is like a breath of spring

You give life to my soul

To me, sweetheart, you're everything

I ever hoped to hold

A smile from you lights up my heart

And brightens all my days

And I just love you, I love you, I love you

In oh, oh, so many, many ways

If words could say how much I care

My dear, you'd be amazed

That I love you, I love you, I love you

In oh, oh so many so many ways

 

When the song finishes, he looks up at me with tears in his eyes.  “Marry me?”  He whispers.

 

“Yes.”  I whisper back.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

*Song title that Brian sings to Justin is So Many, Many Ways

Please review.  Please be constructive and kind.  Thank you