- Text Size +

CHAPTER 51: PERMISSION, CELEBRATION & DISCLOSURE

 

BRIAN

 

I brush away the tears from his cheeks and then kiss the lips of my fiancé.  Fuck my fiancé!

 

For 10 seconds we just look at each other and then start to laugh.  “Let’s go!”

 

“You go tell Emmy or Slick, but not that, and I’ll get our coats.”  Justin orders.

 

I head to the boss booth upstairs and find Slick. She just nods and waves me away.

 

An hour later we’re at Britin. Having reassured Mika that everything is fine and he can go off duty, we head to the lounge.

 

I pour each of us a Beam and we sit on the sofa our feet touching.

 

“So, um, we’re engaged?”  I start.

 

“Not quite.”  He replies.

 

“Huh?  You asked, even though I was going to ask first, and I said yes so that makes us engaged.”

 

“I still have to ask permission…”

 

“Again, I, I mean you asked and I said yes that covers the permission part.”

 

“From your parent, well actually your mother…”

 

“What?!” I slam down my glass.  “Are you fucking kidding me?! You are not going to ask that…”

 

“Brian!”  He shouts at me grabbing my hands.  “I meant Debs!”

 

“Oh!  Well that’s okay then.”  I grin at him.

 

“And there’s one more thing.”  He stares at me seriously.  “Until I’ve asked her permission, we can’t share a bed.”

 

I don’t think I have ever been so stunned in my life!  “You are kidding me right?”

 

“No.  I’m not.  It’s just one night.”

 

He gets up and kisses me on the top of my head.  “Goodnight Brian.  I’m sure she’ll say yes and I’ll be back in our bed tomorrow.”

 

I wait for him to say psyche or something but he doesn’t!

 

DINER – TUESDAY LUNCHTIME

 

KIKI

 

Brian arrived at 12:35 and has been sitting in the back booth not saying anything.  From his taciturn answers, it seems he had to fly to Chicago for an emergency meeting on Sunday evening and only got back this morning.

 

Justin, Slick and Ems come in, with Justin looking woebegone as he approaches the booth.

 

“How was the meeting?”  He asks quietly.

 

“Fine.”  Brian barely raises a smile.

 

“I didn’t know that was going to happen.”  He reaches for him.

 

“But you didn’t ask right?”  Brian looks worried. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him do worried.

 

“Of course not!  I’m not going to do that without you!”

 

His face lights up and he hauls him into his arms, hugging him tightly.  “Thank God!”

 

“Is that what that face was for?” Brian nods into his neck. “Idiot.  You scared the shit out of me; don’t do that! Kiki can you get Debs for me please?”  Justin asks.

 

“Sure honey.”  I go out back and bring a protesting- because she’s on her break- Debs with me.

 

“What is it?”  She demands, looking at the occupants of the booth.

 

“Debs.”  Justin stands, then sits and then stands again.

 

“Honey you are like a jack-in-the-box. What’s going on?”

 

“I love your son very much and can’t imagine my life without him.  I would like your permission and blessing to marry him.”

 

“What?!”  Debs screams silencing the diner.  “You are in love with Michael!  Then why the fuck are you…”

 

“Debs come on!”  I slap her arm.

 

“What, he’s…wait!  What?  Marry!  You mean?  You mean?  Brian?   You proposed to Brian?!”

 

“Yes.”  Justin is twisting his hands.  “Kind of waiting on an answer here.”

 

“Oh my fucking God, of course!  Yes, of course you have my permission and blessing!”

 

“Great, excuse us!  Slick, I will pay for his wage this afternoon!   But I need to get him to the loft now!”

 

Brian manhandles Justin out of the booth and flings him over his shoulder.

 

“Brian, put me down!”  He shouts giggling and beating his back.  “I can walk!”

 

We all follow him onto the street and he whistles for a cab and bundles him inside.

 

“Guess I’ll drop his bag over later then.”  Slick tells me, grinning.

 

“Yeah like tomorrow!”  Debs cackles.

 

THE LOFT

 

JUSTIN

 

“Brian, for God sake, will you calm down!”

 

He has me pinned to the loft door and is pulling at his belt and trying to take my coat off at the same time.

 

“Horny octopus sex!”  He mutters.

 

“BRIAN!”  I yell at the top of my voice and that gets through to him.

 

“Look Justin, I love you.   We are engaged with a blessing and everything.  But I really, really and I mean really need to have you now!”

 

I giggle and take off my coat and his.  Then I drop to my knees.  I tug his pants down and swallow him down whole.  There is a thump as his head hits the door followed by a groan; I hold his hips still and suck him down the back of my throat.  Less than a minute later his legs tremble and he shoots hard.

 

“Fuck I needed that.”  He pants, as I let him slip out of my mouth.  “There is to be no repeat of that bullshit the night before the wedding.  We will both wear cages of death, if necessary.  But unless it’s a business trip, you are never sleeping away from me again.”  He growls, as he sinks to the floor.

 

“I promise.”  I whisper against his mouth after giving him a tongue filled kiss.

 

Two hours later, we are a sweaty sticky heap in bed when there is a hammering on the door.

 

Since we’re on the 3rd floor, this can only mean one thing.

 

“Justin Cole Taylor and Brian A, um…whatever the A stands for, Kinney!  Open this door immediately!”  My mom shouts.

 

“Your mom has called my mom.”  I mumble into his chest.

 

“Well since it’s your mom, you can answer the door.”  He mumbles back.

 

“Kiddo!  We will be back in 30 minutes. Have a shower and be on the 4th floor or we’re going to get the key from Ems and you know I will!”

 

“Ems doesn’t have his key on him!  But Slick does, try and get it from her!”  Brian shouts back.

 

“Fuck it!”  Debs yells.

 

“Come back in 40 minutes and we’ll be there.”  I shout, as we slowly untangle ourselves.

 

“Deal!”  Debs cackles.

 

We make our way slowly to the bathroom and he prepares the shower.

 

“How do you know Ems doesn’t have his key?”  I mumble, as he washes my hair.

 

“I saw him hand it to Slick before I cave-manned you out of there.”  He laughs softly.  “He knew that Debs would come to him for it and…”

 

“Ah.”  I sigh happily.  “Um do you think we could?”

 

“Absolutely.”  He purrs, nipping at my neck.

 

AN HOUR LATER

 

JUSTIN

 

“By rights I should be- we should be- furious, as you kept us waiting an extra 20 minutes but we’re just too fucking happy!” Deb says as she engulfs us both in a back breaking hug.

 

Jen wipes her eyes and nods.  “Slick’s gave me your overnight case. I forgot to bring it up.”

 

“I’ll get it when I walk you both down.  So what exactly are you happy about?”  Brian asks.

 

I swat him in the chest.  “Behave.”

 

“Listen to your fiancé.”  Mom gives him the gimlet eyed look.  “Now have you settled on a date yet?”

 

“No, we only got engaged on Sunday.  I haven’t even got him a ring yet.”  I protest.  “I’m not even sure he wants a ring…”

 

“Of course I want a ring!”  Brian looks indignant.  “In fact rings plural, wedding and engagement.  You get two; I get two. End of...”

 

“You’re getting me an engagement ring?”  I look at him in wonderment.

 

“As well he should.”  Debs agrees sternly.

 

“Though we already have the wedding song.”  He smiles at me.  “We were dancing to it when he asked me, so it has to be that.”

 

“Oh good.”  Debs smiles then frowns.  “Wait, where were you?”

 

“Babylon.”

 

“Okay what is it?”  She sighs.

 

“So Many, Many Ways by Brook Benton.”  I tell her smiling and Brian looks amazed.

 

“Google was my friend whilst you were gone.  I remembered the words.”  I confess shyly.

 

“So the wedding coordinator and caterer needs to be sorted as do the best…”

 

“Emmy, Emmy, and woman.”  Brian interrupts.  “I suspect I know whose Justin’s will be but my best woman is Slick. Well once I ask her.”

 

“Why don’t we kill two birds or three with one stone and have them round for dinner on Saturday?  You’re two aren’t doing anything, are you?  So you can come then, right?”  I ask.

 

“Good idea and…”  Brian begins.

 

“Or you could just let me in right now!   It’s fucking freezing out here!”  Ems shouts.

 

I dash to the door and let him in.  “How long have you been out there?!”

 

“Since Google was my friend.  Coffee and maybe a blanket please?”  He shivers.

 

Fifteen minutes later, he’s warmed up and is grinning tearfully at the pair of us.  “So happy.”

 

“Not as happy as us.”  Brian takes my hand.

 

“And not as unhappy as two people are going to be. So the question is…”  I start.

 

“Then they will be unhappier than they are now.”  Ems is firm.  “This is the Wedding of the Avenue and I’m not rushing it because of the insignificant and inconsequential feelings of the dumbass twins!  Understand?”

 

We all nod in the face of his fierce determination.

 

“Now first things first.  Location?”

 

PITTSBURGH MALE CORRECTIONAL FACILITY – FRIDAY MID-MORNING

 

MEDICAL FACILITY

 

NURSE TREMAINE

 

“Oh sweet lord, have mercy.”  I sigh and count to ten before opening the door, “Novotny!”

 

He comes in soaking wet from head to shoulders and he smells like a toilet, which hasn’t been flushed.

 

“Swirly?”  He nods.  “Someone gave you a swirly?  What in fuck’s name for?”

 

“I don’t know!”  He glares at me.  “I want to be sure I’ve not got any diseases!”

 

“You never know, do you?”  I glare back at him until he lowers his eyes.  “Was your mouth open?  I mean at the beginning of the swirly because we know it was before that.  And was it just liquid in the bowl?”

 

“No and yes thank fuck.”

 

“Well you should be fine then.”  I tell him.  “Go and have a shower and then back to your cell.”

 

“You didn’t even…”

 

“Shower and cell Novotny!”  I snap, pulling open the door and he stomps out.

 

Less than a week that guy has been here and I’ve seen him four times already!

 

“Cooper!  Oh for fuck sake, why is that up your damn nose!”

 

PITTSBURGH WOMEN’S CORRECTIONAL FACILITY – AFTERNOON

 

LINDSAY

 

Only another seven weeks to go and then I can leave this Godforsaken city.  Not one fucking visitor the entire time I’ve been here!  Okay I can understand my parents but Brian not visiting is just annoying.

 

As I return to my cell I find Claire Griffin, my cellmate, going through my pad.  “Do you mind?!”

 

“Not at all.”  She smirks and continues to leaf through it.  “You’re good.”

 

“I know.”  I reply, snatching it from her.  “I don’t go through your stuff so kindly afford me the same courtesy.”

 

“Ooh afford me the same courtesy.  Who the fuck do you think you are?”

 

“Lindsay Peterson.”  I reply brusquely and turn my back on her.

 

The next thing I know she’s whirled me round and has yanked my head back.  “Well Lindsay Peterson, you had better start being polite or…”

 

“Griffin!”  A guard bellows.  “Step out!”

 

“I wasn’t…”

 

“Out!”

 

Ten minutes later she’s back and as the door closes we burst into fits of laughter.

 

“Oh that was perfect!  So now everyone thinks we hate each other and of course bitches being bitches nobody will swap with us.  I can’t believe you are here!”  Claire giggles.

 

“I can’t believe the same of you!  Your parents said you were in Key Biscayne.”  I giggle.

 

“Well the fraud was in Florida so I guess they were right.”  She settles down on her bed.  “So this Brian guy, played you for a fool?”

 

“Yes.  And now I’m here because I wanted to protect my son but now he’s got custody.  But once I’m out, I’m going to try to reclaim what’s mine.

 

I smile at the thought of the money waiting for me when I get out.

 

“Funny I always got the dyke vibe from you.  Think of the fun we could’ve had.  Listen, I’m going to the library now, so enjoy your drawing.”  As she steps into the hall, she winks.  “You fucking uppity bitch!”

 

As she saunters down the hall, I gape at the door in astonishment.

 

Fuck!  I can’t go back on the story now!  Fuck it all to hell!

 

BRITIN – SATURDAY EARLY EVENING

 

DINING ROOM

 

JUSTIN

 

I look from one grinning face to the other.  “But it’s Saturday.”  Daphne repeats.

 

“Daph, sweetie they are kinda expecting yes or no at this point.”  Emmy points out.

 

“Of course it’s a yes but it’s still…”  She counts on her fingers.  “6 days since you asked!”

 

Slick chuckles and then turns to Brian.  “He beat you to it didn’t he? You were going to ask him first, right?”

 

“I didn’t say a word.”  I tell him when he looks at me.  “But yes, I beat him to it.  How did you know?  And don’t give me this psych major stuff.  How did you know?”

 

“He took a breath…”  She replies.  “When he finished singing, he took a steadying breath.  He only does that when it’s something big and that song well…”

 

I look at Brian, whose pink spots are practically glowing, he nods.  Slick clears her throat.

 

“So…”  She stares meaningfully at him.

 

“What?”  I look at the pair of them.

 

“This is Brian Kinney.  Since when have you known Brian Kinney to do something without everything in place?”

 

“I don’t understand.”  I frown and look to Emmy for help but he and Daph look equally confused.

 

“Really?  You aren’t getting this?”  She smirks.  “He was going to ask you first so he most likely already has the….”

 

“Ring.”  Daph breathes.  “You’ve already got the ring!”  She squeals bouncing in her chair.

 

I turn slowly to look at him.  “You do?”  I stammer.

 

“Yes I do.  But you asked me so…”

 

“Brian...”  Slick warns.  “Not the time.”

 

He nods and gets up. Five minutes later, he’s back holding a Tiffany box.  A Tiffany box!

 

You went to Ross Park Mall?”  I gasp because he hates that mall.

 

“Of course not!”  He snorts.  “I got it from New York.”

 

I rack my brains trying to think when he went to New York without me and then it dawns on me.  “The Myerson trip?”

 

“Yep.  So, um.  Here.”  He slides the box over. Slowly I open it and immediately shut it again.

 

“You don’t like it?”  He looks concerned.  “We can swap it for anything you want…”

 

“I love it.  I love you! Oh God, it’s perfection!”  I open the box again and stare at the ring.

 

“Impatient best women and co-ordinator here!”  Emmy cuts in.

 

“But I don’t have anything for you.”  I look up at Brian and Slick snorts again.

 

“You can get the wedding rings instead.”  He kisses me softly and pulls out another box.

 

“For the love of Liza, would you show us already?!”

 

I stare at the ring again. It’s platinum and has three diamonds and feels surprisingly heavy. I was about to put it on, when I take his out of his box and take his hand.

 

“Brian Aiden Kinney, will you marry me?”

 

“Yes, Justin Cole Taylor, I will marry you.”

 

I slide his ring onto his finger and then do the same with mine and then show them.

 

“Paint with that on and you won’t sit down for a week.”  He growls in my ear.

 

“Um speaking of painting…”  Slick prompts, quietly.

 

“Oh God Slick, so sorry!”  I get up and hug her.  “Come on.  Come on everyone!”

 

“Slick, we just got carried away. We didn’t…”

 

“Shut up Kinney and let’s just go get her.”  I smile, as he drapes his arm across her shoulders.

 

When we get to the studio, Baloo is of course way ahead of us.  Once inside the door, he settles in his spot with a sigh.

 

“A new bed I see.”  Brian intones dryly. I try my innocent look but he’s not buying it.  “Copycat.”

 

As I pull the canvas off of the finally completed picture, Daph gasps.  “Is that your mom?  God, you look so much like her, especially the smile.”

 

“Fuck.  Sorry.  The car’s too small.”  She sniffles.  “I so wanted to take her home today.”

 

“Let me call Idaho.”  Emmy grabs his phone.  “He can get the truck from the lot and lots of tarpaulin. You are taking your mom home!”

 

JENNIFER’S CONDO – SATURDAY AFTERNOON

 

LOUNGE

 

DEBS

 

“So what do I do?  Do I tell him before he’s released and give him time or let him find out when he’s released?”

 

“Why tell him- actually them- at all?”  Jen reasons.  “It’s none of their business.”

 

“My thoughts exactly!”  Ems grits out.  “But this is Michael we are talking about.  What do Brian and Justin say?”

 

“It’s none of his business, but I can do what I think is best.”

 

“Want to hear my opinion on this?”  Daph asks, sipping on her wine and I nod.  “Personally, I think that he should find out from either Brian, Justin or both.  This is nobody’s news to tell but theirs.”

 

“I agree.”  Jen nods.  “By telling him, we are pandering to him again.  Leave it Debs. You know Michael. No matter who he hears it from, he’s still going to blame everyone except Brian for not telling him.

 

“And then there’s the little matter of Lindsay." Mel chimes in.  “She’s going to go ballistic.  But I can keep her otherwise occupied.”

 

“How?  Please tell me it doesn’t involve lady parts?”  Ems cringes.

 

“No and definitely not.”  Mel shudders.  “No it involves her other favourite thing…money.”

 

“I still can’t believe that they are being released on Friday.  The last two months have flown by.”

 

“Thus proving the adage time flies when you’re having fun, sadly true.”  Ems sighs.  “Right enough of this... we’ve agreed that he finds out from the engaged couple alone. Put that out there Debs.”

 

I nod. This is the best way.  I look at Jen and she nods back.  We’re going to walk our sons down the aisle and there is no way in fuck Michael is going to ruin it for us!

 

BRITIN

 

LOUNGE – MONDAY EVENING

 

JUSTIN

 

I make sure that everything is set.  I still can’t believe it.  I hear the front door open and as usual Bagheera beats me to him.

 

“Hey boy.  I’m happy to see you too.  No, not the face!  You know the rules.”  He chides him.

 

I wait for him to scoot him away before he opens his arms for me and I crawl up him, starting with kissing his neck and then finally his mouth.

 

“Missed you.”  I murmur.

 

“Missed you more.”  He murmurs back and carries me into the lounge.  He lays us both down on the couch and we breathe each other in.  Pushing his hair out of his eyes, I smile at him.

 

“You signed them?”

 

“Of course.  So what’s with the stuff?”  He looks at the table.  “And that glow tells me that you have something big to tell me.”

 

“Get up, oh observant one, you need to read that.”  I point at the envelope but he doesn’t get up merely reaches for it and opens it whilst grinding his hips.

 

“Brian…”  I pant.

 

“What I’m multitasking.”  He grins at me.  “Okay, let’s see:  Dear Justin, following your show of portraits and abstracts two weeks ago, as promised I have spoken to some galleries and…”

 

He goes quiet as he reads the letter and then sits up.  “Oh my God Justin, I am so fucking proud of you!  You’re going to do it, right?”

 

I bite my lip.  “It’s New York though... I don’t think I’m ready for a show in New York. It would only be my third one.”

 

“It’s not a solo show though…it’s you and two others.”

 

I scoot into his lap and we both reread the letter.  “Part of me does want to do it.”  I confess.

 

“Then do it.”  He tells me firmly.  “Does Slick know?”

 

“No of course not. I had to tell you first.”  I look at the relief on his face.  “Anything important in my life, I tell you first, understand?  Although I think they want me to include her mom’s portrait.”

 

“That might be a hard sell.”  He concedes, before licking my neck.  “Let’s speak to her on Wednesday?”

 

“What’s happening on Wednesday?”  I turn round and push him back and slowly undo his belt.

 

“The Dress vs Suit debate.”   He reminds me raising his hips.

 

“Oh yeah.  Ooh commando, nice!  Now no more talking.”

 

I nuzzle the head of his cock before sliding my mouth slowly down.  He slides his hands into my hair and sighs in delight.

 

MICHAEL’S APARTMENT – FRIDAY AFTERNOON

 

LINDSAY

 

Home!  I’m finally home!  Well for now.  I let myself in and am surprised to see Michael there.

 

“Hey!”

 

“Hey!”  He replies giving me a hug.  “How was it?”

 

“Not bad. I actually met a family friend’s daughter in there, so that made things more tolerable.  What about you?”

 

“Not the best two months of my life.  I kept getting picked on for voicing my opinion.  But I stood up for myself.”

 

“When did you get back?”  I ask from the bedroom having dropped off my bag.

 

“A couple of hours ago.”  He replies.  “Can you believe that there’s no food in here?!”  He gripes.

 

“We haven’t been here for 2 months Michael. Why would there be food?”  I know what’s coming.

 

“Well Mother knew I- I mean we- were being discharged today. She could’ve stocked the fridge so we didn’t have to go out today... give us time to acclimatise.”

 

“Michael.”  I smile tightly.  “We were in Pittsburgh not Outer Mongolia.  Come on, let’s go and get something to eat at say- the diner.  Then do some shopping. First on the list is wine!”

 

“Fine.”  He’s still pouting and it takes everything not to point out that Debs doesn’t have a key!

 

DINER

 

DEBS

 

The guys are in the back booth, going through their list for New York. They made the mistake of mentioning they were going to Grim and he’s asked them to get some things for Twinkle as it’s his birthday next Saturday.  He only uses Bliss products on Twinkle.  Why those two aren’t married is anyone’s guess.

 

The door goes and the diner goes quiet.  “Hello mother.”  He snarks.  “I see your warm greeting has extended from my apartment to here.”

 

“Michael, Lindsay you’re out.  Welcome home.”

 

“Thanks Debs, we’ll just sit here if that’s okay?”  Lindsay replies.

 

“That’s fine.  I’ll be right with you.”  I reply and grab my pad.

 

“And what was that crack about Michael?”  I ask sitting down.

 

“Well when I got home there was no food.  I’d have thought after all I had been through, you could at least have…”

 

“And how did you propose that I get in?”

 

He looks flustered and goes red.  “You could’ve asked Slick.”  He smiles triumphantly.

 

I sigh heavily.  “She’s been away for the last two days and only got back last night. So no I couldn’t.”

 

“Grim for heaven sake, we’ve got it!  Three bottles of each and…”  Brian stops in surprise as he heads to the door.

 

“Brian!  I didn’t see you back there.  I’m back!”  Michael smiles.

 

“Good for you. Glad you both made it through the penal system unscathed.”

 

“Thank you Brian. You look well.”  Lindsay looks behind him then smiles at Michael.

 

“So where’s Justin?”  Michael snarks and my hand itches to slap him.

 

“Right here.”  He’s wheeling their case.  “Glad you both survived.  Is the car out front?”

 

Brian nods and Justin leaves without a backward glance.

 

“What’s his problem?”  Lindsay snickers and again I get the slap-a-bitch itch.

 

“Debs.  I’ll see you on Sunday for dinner.”  Brian kisses my cheek and smiles.

 

Just as he’s leaving, Michael grabs his arm. His left arm and of course he spots the ring.

 

“Where are you going?”  Lindsay asks, oblivious to Michael’s reaction.  “We need to talk.”

 

“What do we need to talk about?”

 

“I want to meet with Gus and I need your permission for that and…”

 

“No, you speak to Mel about that.  Now I have a plane to catch.”  He wrests his arm free.

 

“What’s with the ring?”  Michael’s voice is strained.

 

“I’m engaged to Justin and I’m not missing my flight to New York so you can get hysterical about it.”

 

“What’s in New York?  Surely you’re not getting married there?!”  Lindsay demands.

 

“No, but now that you’re back in the Pitts, it’s an idea.  Justin has a show and we’re meeting with the gallery owner.  Ta-ta.”

 

He kisses me again and is gone.  Everyone in the diner lets out a breath of relief. We can start talking about it again!

 

CAR TO AIRPORT

 

JUSTIN

 

He stares at his ring for awhile in silence.  “They know and they’re not happy.  And I don’t care.  Oh by the way, Lindsay might start being nice to you.”

 

“What for?”  I look worried.

 

“She knows about the show as well.”

 

“I don’t care. She’s not getting anywhere near it.”

 

“Good.”

 

DINER

 

DEBS

 

“Engaged? When the fuck did that happen?”  Michael demands.

 

“And which idiotic gallery would give him a show?”  Lindsay hisses.

 

“Officially, the Tuesday after you were jailed, but unofficially the Sunday morning.  As for the gallery, you would need to speak to Sidney Bloom about that.”

 

“What’s the official, unofficial crap?”  He demands.

 

“It was unofficial when Justin asked him but became official when I gave my permission and blessing.  Now what do you want to eat?”

 

“You did what?!”  Michael shrieks.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please, if reviewing, be constructive and kind.  Thanks