- Text Size +

CHAPTER 7: MEETING

 

JUSTIN’S BEDROOM – MONDAY MID-MORNING

 

JUSTIN

 

I slept so well and feel so great.  Last night after the shower, we hung up my clothes.  Then he stayed with me until he had to absolutely, definitely go home.  And when I woke up this morning my cell was taped to the bedside table with a note taped on it to say “I have sent you a text”.

 

Pulling on my boxers and a tee, I pad to the bathroom pull at and rue my bedhead, before heading back to make up the bed.  There’s a soft knock on the door and Slick pokes her head round the door.

 

“Hey there, how’d you sleep?”  I grin at her.  “Ah that good?”  She looks round “Where’s the GGK?”  I frown at her.  “Sorry GGK is what I call Brian, stands for Great God Kinney…I’m one for acronyms by the way.”

 

“Had an early morning meeting, so left late last night.”  I stretch and start to pull on some clothes.  “So are you going to show me what to do with his car?”

 

“Not necessarily…oh you have got to be kidding me?!”  She chuckles when she spots the cell and the note.  “Ker-yoot!  Once you’ve read and replied, come down, coffee’s on.  We need to talk about a couple of things.”

 

I settle down on the bed and open my phone.  ‘Justin, have a very busy couple of days so most likely won’t see you until tomorrow evening.  Though if you feel the need to interrupt my day with calls, texts and updates on how my car is coming along do feel free.  Later B.’

 

I smile and reply and then head downstairs to join Slick, who has just poured coffee for herself.

 

“So the POC is this…”  I look confused.  “Sorry POC is plan of campaign…is not a work day…going to intro you to the boys.  Do you know where the diner is?”  I shake my head.  “Okay we’ll go there so you can find your way without problems.  Generally, that’s where the boys eat. It’s a rule that they have to get off the lot for lunch.  Also, can you drive?”  I nod.  “Great so we’ll drive and you can use one of the trucks, just make sure you sign out for it.  And I need to also show you where Emmy Lou’s place is and then the art supply store.  Jesus fuck it’s lucky I like you two; all these errands he has me running!  You hungry?”

 

Right on cue my stomach grumbles and she snickers before grabbing keys and we head down to garage.

 

“Boys this is Justin. Justin these are the boys, left to right Mac, Richard, Stewart, Bell and Cujo are the main ones to look to if you have any questions.”  They all smile or wave at me.  “And of course Idaho when he comes back on Wednesday.  They are all good guys, or they wouldn’t be here.  I have a list of errands to run for GGK so we’ll see you later.”

 

As we drive into town, she keeps looking at me.  “What?  Why are you staring at me?”

 

“You’re not normally his type that’s all.  So how slow you taking it?  Oh by the way, I live through his sex and now love life, so you’ll have to forgive my nosiness.”

 

“When you say ‘live’ does that mean he tells you everything?”  I must look scandalised as she bursts out laughing again.  “Oh God he does, doesn’t he?”

 

“Yep!”

 

HONEYCUTT’S HOUSE OF FOOD

 

EMMY LOU

 

Ben has just been in with Hunter to place their order for the dinner on Thursday night.  His lordship has deigned to utilise my services for his little soiree and so I shall be in attendance to supervise.  He’s got about 16 people coming.  I find myself a little peckish and was all set to head to the diner when Slick and Justin come in.

 

“Ooh hello my darlings!  Want to park out back right and we’re going to the diner.”  They nod and Justin is just looking at the food in amazement.  “You are just what Debs needs, well not entirely but it’s a start.”

 

DINER

 

DEBS

 

Today is hopefully going to be the day that Michael drops that fucking ‘mother’ crap and is not whining.  All evening last night he moaned about how Brian left without speaking to him, completely forgetting the almost two hours he spent with him before that!

 

Don’t get me wrong I love my son but there are days I think seriously... just seriously get a hold of yourself, Michael Charles Novotny! Brian can’t be at your beck and call every minute of the fucking day, he has to work for the things he’s got. If Michael only he had a tenth of his drive and ambition, he might find himself too busy to be running after Brian.

 

The doorbell ringing gets my attention and I beam at Slick, so pleased we are back to normal.

 

“Hey you gorgeous girl you.  And Emmy Lou and Justin…wow you weren’t kidding about him working for you were you?”

 

“Nope GGK wants his car done and he’s the man to do it.  Now you’re the woman do something for me…get some meat on this boy's bones?!”

 

I take a good look at Justin and point them in the direction of a corner booth.  “Kiki!  We’re swapping sections!”  She looks up and nods.  “You’re not one of those vegetarians are you?”

 

“Oh God no, I like to eat meat too mu…I mean…uh no.”  He’s blushing badly.

 

“Good to know!  Aren’t you adorable when you blush?  So half a full house for you.  You two the usual and I think a hot chocolate for you Justin; that okay for you all?”  I get nodding.  “Oh hey sweetheart, my section is…”

 

“Letting in hustlers earlier and earlier these days mother?”  He sighs staring at the corner booth.  I stare at him in confusion.  “That kid over there sitting with Emmett is a hustler.”  His voice raises so everyone looks at them.  “I was closing up last week and he came up to me in broad daylight…”

 

“I am not a hustler!  I was trying to return the $20 you dropped!”  Justin snaps back.

 

“Well where is it then?”  Michael walks towards him with his hand outstretched.  “I’d like it back.”

 

“I-I don’t have it anymore…”  Justin stammers and Michael scoffs.

 

“So what did you spend my money on?”  Michael demands.  “You do realise that technically you stole that money and I could have you arrested?”

 

“No he didn’t and no you couldn’t, because I saw what happened last Friday.  You locked up that tatty shop of yours and the money fell out of your pocket and he was calling you to give it back.”   A man interrupts and he heads to the booth and extends his hand.  “Hey kid you look better, my name’s Carl.  Detective Carl Horvath so I know what I’m talking about.”  He turns back to Michael.   “And you told him to beat it and fuck off.  I gave him $10 for his honesty.”

 

“Jus…Justin Taylor and I’m fine, thank you for asking.  Are you sure he can’t…”

 

“Positive.  Now we’re all going to enjoy our breakfasts without any more name calling or threats understand?”  He glowers at Michael who swiftly heads to the counter.

 

“Carl did you say your name is?”  I ask grinning at him and he nods.  “Well I’m Debbie. Most people call me Debs and that’s on the house, I mean whatever you are having is on the house.”

 

“Thanks Debs, I’ll have the bacon sandwich with an over easy egg on whole-wheat.”

 

“What no donut?”  Slick drawls sarcastically and before anyone could react she kisses him on the cheek.  “You’re late today. Busy night?”

 

“Pulled a double, but I’m heading home now... well after this.”  He replies smiling at her.  “What you doing here?”

 

“Feeding the newest member of my crew.”  She points to the booth.

 

“This is just too much.  You’re the guy that has to do Brian’s car?!”  Michael is chortling. “I can’t believe that you…”

 

“And how is that comic book store of yours doing?  I see fewer and fewer people in there these days?”  Kiki asks sarcastically and I see him tense up.

 

“I’ll have the coffee to go,” he demands looking at me impatiently. Quickly I get his order sorted out and he stomps out.

 

JUSTIN

 

I feel like shit now.  Emmy Lou is looking at me sympathetically and reaches across to squeeze my hand. At least I defended myself.

 

“Oh, well it had to happen sooner rather than later…”

 

Slick looks between the two of us.  “Happen what happened?”

 

“Michael happened.  He accused Justin of being a hustler as loudly as he could.”  Emmy Lou rolls his eyes and fury flashes across his face.  “Luckily, Carl – him by the counter making moony eyes at Debs – set him straight but he knows that Justin is working on Brian’s car.”

 

“Wait, that’s Michael, the Michael that…”  I groan

 

Slick glowers and sighs heavily.  “Yep that’s him.  Okay you guys carry on feeding and Emmy can you take him to the art shop and GGK’s office.  I need to have a word with a particular loudmouth Italian.”

 

DEBS

 

Oh shit I know that face.  That’s the ‘your son is about to get a beat down’ face.  “Slick, leave something for me to deal with okay?”  I call out and she gives me a tight smile.

 

RED CAPE COMICS – EARLY AFTERNOON

 

MICHAEL

 

I’ve been trying to get Brian all morning.  I don’t care what he wants to say. That kid is trouble and I don’t think that Brian should have him working on his car.  I try Kinnetic but that Mary woman said that he’s not in. She's just not putting me through.  I finally manage to be put through to Ted.

 

KINNETIC

 

TED’S OFFICE

 

TED

 

Why me God I sigh.

 

“Michael I’m very busy, what is it?  Yes I know where Brian is?  That’s Kinnetic business and nothing to do with you.  I’m aware that you’re his best friend but he’s with clients so won’t be answering his phone at all.  Again that’s Kinnetic business and on a need to know basis and you don’t need to know it.  Michael I have to go.  Bye.”

 

My mobile goes and I send it to voicemail and decide that lunch is definitely called for.

 

DINER

 

JUSTIN

 

Emmy Lou showed me where the art store is and Slick met us in there.  We were both dying to know what she said to Michael but she said she hadn’t caught up with him yet but she would.  She gave me an advance on my salary and I got a new pad and pencils and we headed to the diner. Debs said I had to be back for the rest of my breakfast.

 

When Slick came back she had a massive bag from the art store and put it next to me on the seat.  She and Emmy Lou exchange glances and smiles as I peer inside.  There are pads, pencils, chalks, crayons - everything I could need to draw.

 

“So how did you survive on the streets?”  Debs asks coming to sit next to me when Emmy Lou leaves to go back to work.  “May I?”  I nod.  Shit honey these are really good!”  She looks through my ever present pad.

 

“That’s how I survived. In summer, I do portraits but in during the winter, it gets too cold and…”

 

“When in the hell did you draw that?”  She demands looking at the picture of her with the coffee pot smiling at Carl.

 

“That’s just the basic outline; it’s not finished yet.”  I blush. “You can have it afterwards if you want.”

 

She nods enthusiastically and looks thoughtful.  “Honey I have an idea. Are you still staying at St Peters?”

 

“No, I’m also going to be the night watchman at Slick’s place, so I’ll be there.  Why what’s your idea?”

 

“Need to talk to someone first…”  Suddenly she grins.  “Hey Teddy, coffee right?  Great.  Have a seat.  Ted this is Justin, Justin this is Ted, he works with Brian.”

 

TED

 

I slide in opposite him and just stare at Justin. He’s beautiful and yep I can see why Brian fell hard.  When Ems told me about him, I was sceptical but now I definitely see it. And I can see the fun we are going to have keeping Michael out of the loop.

 

“Aha.  Justin, nice to meet you at last.”  I smile at him and shake his hand.  “Ems has filled me in.”

 

The door opening not only brings in a draft but a group of twinks chattering away and Slick.

 

“Did you hear?  About Kinney and the conga fuck at his loft?”  One asks breathlessly.  “I would have loved to have just been there let alone in the line!”

 

Justin’s face falls and immediately Slick heads to their table.  Ten minutes later she’s back with a face of fury.

 

“Michael has spread a rumour - and it is just that a rumour - especially as it was supposed to have happened on Saturday night.”  She smiles at Justin.  “I’ve squashed it.”

 

BRITIN – LATE AFTERNOON

 

BRIAN

 

I never thought that client would leave.  I pour myself a glass of beam and am about to head to my study when my phone rings.

 

“Hey, you’ve got perfect timing!  I’ve just finished.  How’s your day been and how’s my car looking?  Oh I see.  No...what?  No say that again.  Ah you’ve met and he thinks you’re a…and he’s said that I did what, when did you hear this?  Okay, well you and I both know that’s not true, so it doesn’t matter what he says.  Look I’m just going to clear up from my meeting and I’ll call you back, in about half an hour.  Okay later.”

I’m looking forward to dinner and I can bring a guest apparently… wonder what Slick is doing.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thank you.