- Text Size +

CHAPTER TEN


 THE QUIET STORM


 


 


Open for Business


(May 20th 2005)


 


If anyone had ever doubted Justin Taylor's ability to rise to the top and rule the Art Department with an iron fist, they had another think coming. So far Kinnetik PA had been open three days and he had managed to reject every single proposal his staff gave him for a presentation scheduled for Friday morning with Renaissance Hotels. The account was valued as a sixty-five million dollar account for which Kinnetik would get thirteen million as a contracted fee. Based on the other top accounts the company won and managed to keep over the years, Justin was determined that his art department would do no less. Landing this account would not only prove their worth but begin building a reputation within the corporation as a whole. There was no fucking way he would allow them to fail.


Earlier in the week, he'd ordered his staff, through his assistant, Cassandra, to make individual boards since none of their ideas seemed to match up with the vision both Brian and Justin had for the campaign. He would pick the best of the ideas from each board and combine them with his own vision in time for the presentation. Of course William had been the staunchest opposer believing that he should have been given the assignment outright; negating the talent of each member of Justin's team. Finally when he realized his argument was getting nowhere with Justin, he at first refused to do anything on the account.


 


"If you were just going to do the work yourself, why hire a staff?" he questioned.


"Perhaps for my own amusement, William," Justin answered dismissively. "Or perhaps because the work load expected after we land this account will triple in volume. Either way if you have a problem with the way I am running the department, feel free to quit now. It's no sweat off my ass and might save me the trouble of firing your ass later. It's your choice but if you intend to stay, I suggest you get your ass back to your cubicle and get to work. The deadline is at five."


 


He knew he'd been effectively dismissed but it didn't stop Wainwright from pleading his case to first Cynthia and then to Brian himself, both who told him that they stood by Justin's decision and laid out the same options. However, Brian took it one step further advising that he was never to come to him with such menial bullshit again. Since Justin was his immediate boss and Cassandra his supervisor, it was a situation which should have been handled without bothering him with it. Justin knew then, his job was safe but his Art department was in trouble and all because of a whiny, temperamental brat of a man whose mentality is stuck in puberty while his artwork is mature.


He continued looking over the boards, Sharpie in hand, marking off what could be used, what should be played up and what had to be discarded immediately when his office phone rang.


 


"Taylor," he answered, distracted by a board with a perfect Divi Divi tree drawn against the turquoise backdrop of the calm side on Aruba's southern coast. The colors on the board were so vibrant, he could almost feel like the office he stood within had melted away. Looking at the back of the board, he was pleased that it was Cassie's work and decided to use it as one of the main focal points on the final board.


"Hi ya, Justin. If you're not busy, there are a couple of things I need to discuss with you," Joan said on the other line.


He smiled hearing his agent and friend's voice. It had been a couple of weeks since he'd left New York and although she had reached out, he'd only spoken to her twice in that time. "Well, I'm always busy but that's a good thing for an artist, isn't it?"


"Sure thing, Darling. How are things going with the new gig? Well I hope."


"I can't complain except I hired William."


"William Wainwright? Why would you do that, Justin?" he could tell from the exasperated tone of her voice what she thought of his choice of employee. Joan had always considered the young man pompous and unnecessarily arrogant about his work. Justin had always thought she was being harsh but his opinion was changing drastically by the second.


"Well he was one of the best applicants who applied for the position. We were in a bit of a time crunch since we are presenting this Friday but I'm learning that all of your previous assessments of him were true."


"Damn right they were and still are I'll bet. He would have been better teaching remedial finger painting to first graders than actually in an adult setting. Has the little shit been giving you trouble already?"


"Of course but that's William- always looking for a way to tear down the competition instead of earning the accolades like everyone else. I really wish I could find the idiot that inflated his ego so I could punch them in the face but right now, I'd settle for a priest to perform an exorcism on Satan's whiny little imp. Anyway I take it you didn't just call to hear about the office politics." He heard the deep breath she took through the phone. She always did that when she didn't want to tell him something. "Out with it, Joan. I'm a big boy."


"Oh alright, Mr. ‘I'm a Grown Man Now.' You remember that violinist who was following you around, constantly trying to get your attention during your attendance and sort of became like a stalker to you?"


"How could I forget that asshole? Every fucking day he would wait outside of my classes in the art wing when he knew damned well he was supposed to be on the other side of the building. I guess I should be grateful for Connor's oppressive security detail back then. But why are you bring up Ethan Gold now?"


"He came in this morning demanding my assistant to produce you and trying to buy your "Fantasy" piece."


Justin knew he wasn't going to like the rest of what he would hear. "Please tell me you did not sell it to him...or at the very least upped the price so high that he couldn't afford it? The last thing I need is the vision in my head of him looking at my painting and jerking off to it."


"Oh God, now you've put that image of the greasy bastard in my head, Justin. Kill the visual Jesus!! Please Lord, have mercy."


Justin laughed aloud. "I never knew you were religious, Joan."


"Ordinarily I'm not but since I feel like I want to pour bleach in my ears to clean out my brain now, I figured it was worth a shot. Anyway, my usually-smart-but-occasionally-brain-dead assistant let it slip that you were no longer in New York but in Pittsburgh. I'm so sorry, Justin. I would fire her but she really is a gem at vetting out the most money in the room when it comes to selling your work."


Justin's stomach dropped a bit but he covered his feelings to spare Joan. He could hear just how distraught she was over this mess. "It's fine, Joan. I'll handle it and I know that even if he finds out where I work, he won't be allowed within the building. Hell honestly, he probably won't be allowed within thirty feet of me if Brian has anything to say about it."


"Wait- Brian who? You don't mean..."


 Justin cringed at what he'd let slip out. "Yeah, I do mean him. It just sort of happened and now it just keeps happening and I know I have to stop it but I don't fucking want to," he rambled.


 "But Justin, he's your boss. You know how this will look to the staff."


 "I know, Joan which is why we don't in the office although, it's-"


 "Tempting," a new voice entered the conversation from the doorway.


 "Is that him?" Joan asked.


 "Yes, Joan, the one and only eavesdropping billionaire I know." Justin smiled Brian still standing in his doorway while receiving a sexy smirk in return. Justin felt breathless but managed to pull himself together."I have to go, Joan but is everything in order for the show at the beginning for June?"


 "So far everything is looking correct. I'll overnight to new contract to you about the change in price for a few of the pieces. As far as "Fantasy" do you want to include it in the show?"


"Why not since the show is scheduled for the date the contract ends. Perhaps I should change the name to Sweet Liberty instead."


"No I think it's perfect the way it is. However, if you'd like to add another painting by that name, I wouldn't be adverse to buying it myself."


"I'll think about it. In the meantime, thanks for the heads up regarding the impending chin rat trouble."


She laughed. "You're welcome. You could always send Daphne in to do your dirty work. I so love that girl."


"Me too. Hopefully it won't be necessary. Even though I abhor possessive men, he's good in bed so I think I'll keep him around awhile."


"Just be careful, Blue. From all I know and have heard about Brian Kinney, he is a man...a real man and won't back down from what he wants easily."


"I know but I'm not easy pickings either. I think he's learning that a little more each day. We'll talk soon." Justin disconnected the phone.


"Trouble in the art world?" Brian raised an eyebrow waiting for an answer.


"Unless you count these boards, it's nothing I can't handle." Justin went back to marking off another section on Cassie's board.


"Take a break then," Brian said.


"I can't. We have until Friday to get this completed otherwise the boss will have my ass."


"Yes well the boss is going to have your ass anyway....again...and again...and yet again."


Justin laughed. "I get the point."


"Good, then you know that you can take a break now and join me for lunch. I'm going to the diner and by the sounds of the beast in your stomach, he agrees with me asking you along."


Justin put is hand to his midsection wishing he could say no at that moment but knowing that Brian was right. He hadn't had anything except coffee since he'd left home early for the office."Fine but I'm bringing my sketch pad and I don't really want to hear anything about it, Brian."


 


Brian made the lock-and-key motion with his hand by his lip. He was learning that there was no separating Justin from his art. He admired that trait in Justin but he knew the blond also used it as a shield of deflection whenever the conversation got to serious for his comfort. Ordinarily, Brian wasn't overly conversational either but with Justin, it just seemed natural to him to want to know everything about his life.


They left the office after advising Cynthia they were taking a late lunch at the diner.


 


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


 


Introductions and Innuendos


 


They walked into the Liberty Diner during one of the busiest times of the day. Looking around, Brian smiled to himself spotting Emmett occupying their usual booth directly across from the counter.


Debbie as usual was speeding by like her already red hair was on fire but stopped long enough to inform Brian that Em was waiting for him and she would be to their table in a moment. Noticing Justin's sudden nervousness, he placed a comforting hand on the small of the younger man's back issuing one small order as he did so. "Relax. You're with me so no one is going to bite you... well unless it's me."


Justin let out a small laugh. "I'll hold you to that promise later."


 


They weaved their way through the crowd still waiting for seating. A few people nodded to Brian while others called out that it was good to see the Stud of Liberty Avenue back after his long absence. There were even some who were more bold in their approach eye-fucking both him and his companion. Surprisingly after Brian's little quip, Justin seemed to take the attention all in stride. The boy was fucking beautiful and anyone who dismissed him would have to be fucking blind to do so. Whereas he wore his blond mane in a long ponytail at the back of his head while in the office, whenever away from it he either wore it on top of his head or hanging long as it was now. Brian's hands itched to run his fingers through the thick strands but he wasn't sure how Justin would feel about being publicly claimed in front of the gay PA lunch crowd. Besides, he was liking the subterfuge involved in keeping their budding relationship out of the public eye. It gave the predator in Brian a thrill knowing he had to chase Justin during the day only to be rewarded for his efforts after hours. Had someone told him even a month ago that he would be enjoying getting to know the young man slightly ahead of him as they moved steadily toward their destination, it would have been laughable but he really was. Justin Taylor was unlike anyone he'd ever met before. Enigmatic, adventurous, demanding and energetic in bed, talented beyond words and most important incredibly intelligent. Brian actually craved knowing what Justin was thinking.


 Emmett looked up from the fashion mag he was reading, at first stunned and then smiling wide at the newcomers.


 


"Emmy Lou, what's up in the world of Dolce and Gabana today?"


 "The usual, Brian but thankfully fashion week will be coming up soon and thanks to the word of my last big name client, I'll be there working."


 "Fuck, you're catering fashion week. You're really moving your cupcakes up in the world. Pretty soon even I won't be able to afford you, Honeycutt."


 "Stop, Brian, and don't call me Honeycutt" Emmett said even as he blushed at the compliment. He and Brian had become really good friends over the years. Out of those considered family, Emmett and Ted were probably the only two members of their group who knew just how generous and caring Brian was. "So who's this little cutie, Brian? My aren't you a gorgeous little thing."


Brian felt Justin stiffen marginally but as he realized the tall queen didn't mean it as n insult, he relaxed and gave Emmett a mega-watt smile which Em fully returned. Brian was glad and could tell in that instant, Justin had made a new friend. "Emmett, this is Justin Taylor, the head of the Art department for Kinnetik PA. Justin, this is Emmett Honeycutt, Pittsburgh's gay version of Martha Stewart- and probably more queenly too."


Emmett rolled his eyes at Brian's introduction but still smiled in welcome. "Don't listen to him. I'm not yet up there where the Hetero Maven of Home and Hearth is yet but I'm getting there. So how do you like working for his majesty here, Justin?"


"It's been an interesting ride so far but I'm looking forward to being challenged. He doesn't let me rest on my laurels and I call him on his shit. I think it's a win-win," Justin said laughing.


"Well there's only three people I know who could survive working with Big Bad Brian here and that's Ted, Cynthia and Donovan Davis the corporate attorney. I say if he hasn't chewed you up spit you out yet, you're going to be around for quite a long time."


"He might chew me up but I'm a little too sweet to spit out, right Brian?" Justin and Emmett laughed at the brief look of discomfort on Brian's face which actually turned into a slight smile before he responded.


"I don't know. I'll have to bite you again later to find out if you're to my liking."


"Wait- you mean you two are-"


"Maybe Em, but I know I don't have to tell you to keep that under wraps," Brian said meaningfully.


"You know you never have to worry about me betraying your secrets, Brian. Personally, I hope you both are because the looks that are being shot sideways at both of you could burn this place down."


Thankfully Debbie happened up at the table before Brian was forced to respond. "Brian, how's the new office? Everything up and running?"


"Not as much as you, Deb but everything is going okay. We're presenting for a huge account on Friday providing my new Art Director can pull it off."


"Oh I can pull it off, Brian," Justin responded full of bravado and an arrogance to match the man sitting next to him.


 


Emmett watched the exchange and couldn't help the little snicker which escaped him. Oh my gay God, Brian Kinney may have actually met his match. Michael and Lindsey are going to shit bricks and cinder blocks. Fuck I can't wait!


 


Debbie looked closely at Justin. "So you're the new art director for Kinnetik PA, huh? You're kinda young aren't ya?"


"Deb-" Brian started but quieted as he felt Justin's hand inconspicuously cup his knee under the table.


"I know I may look young. I'm actually twenty-three, graduated at the top of my class from the Art Institute of New York, sold out several art shows since graduating and have been working freelance for Kinnetik NY for the last two years as well as Brian's former employer, Kennedy and Collins. Getting the offer for steady employment while still being able to work on my independent art career has been a big accomplishment especially for my age- or so I'm told. I have a show coming up here in Pittsburgh at the Bloom Gallery in a few weeks which you're invited to even if you feel it would further qualify me to work for Kinnetik Corporation."


Brian, Emmett and Debbie were all stunned to silence at Justin's speech but eventually Debbie laughed. Not many people, especially ones as young as Justin, were able to stand up to Debbie who was considered the mother of all the gays on Liberty Avenue. For the little blond dynamo to do so with style and grace, detailing his credentials succinctly and directly without batting an eyelash spoke volumes of the young man's character to Debbie. "I like you, kid. I already know what these two are having so what'll it be for you, Justin?" She'd already heard his name flying around as the vultures began circling for information the minute Brian introduced him to Emmett. Justin Taylor was a beautiful young man but he wasn't a fool. She liked that about him.


"Cheeseburger, fries and a side salad with a chocolate shake and Brian's paying."


"This just gets better and better. Coming right up, Sunshine."


Justin was stunned. "Debbie why did you just call me that?"


"Because your smile brightens up this whole place. Why? You don't like it?"


He blushed and looked briefly at the ghost of a smirk on Brian's lips. "It's not that. It's just someone, who is becoming kinda special to me and who I'd like to consider a friend, called me the same thing recently."


"Well believe him, honey, because he speaks the truth. He always does." She winked at Brian as she left to put the orders in.


 


Brian reached under the table to place his hand on top of Justin's which was still resting on his thigh. Strangely, he found the contact comforting. Debbie, although meaning well and acted most of the time in his best interests, could still be overbearing and harsh at times. No matter how unintentional the words, she always said what she was thinking and let the chips fall where they may. Brian, himself, was sometimes the victim of her unfair judgments but he was always able to overlook them because of what she gave him in return- a home, a hug when he needed it and a verbal ass-kicking when warranted. Between she and Vic's support, he would never had found the courage to go off on his own and make his own way in the world. Which bought him to the reason he had Emmett meet them there for lunch.


 


"Emmett, I have a business proposal for you. I'm looking into forming a conglomerate." He felt Justin stiffen by his side and his hand tighten around his thigh but he ignored it for the time being. "I wanted to know if you would be interested in becoming a subsidiary of Kinnetik Corporation?"


"You know I don't mind going into business with you, Brian, but I already owe you for the start-up costs to Fabulosity Catering and Party Planning. What exactly are you offering?"


"Cancellation of the debt which I told you didn't have to pay back anyway for starters. You get to keep ninety percent of the profits even though I will absorb all the costs to keep you in business. Instant access to my client list to grow and expand your business and the protection of an LLC company. In addition, you get access to all of Kinnetik's staff including attorneys, advertising and sales executives- the last being optional. You still get to keep ownership except now you have the financial backing and partnership of a large and steadily growing company."


Emmett weighed all that Brian told him. Contrary to popular opinion that Emmett was just a silly queen looking for love in all the wrong places, he was actually a shrewd businessman and able to quickly calculate the pros and cons of any business deal. "What's in this for you, Brian. And don't give me the politically correct, blow-smoke-up-my-nelly-ass version. Give me the whole story of why you're proposing this now so that I can make an informed decision."


 "Okay. I want to buy a large, well-to-do electronics company which belongs to Justin's mother. She wants to sell it but the men offering for it aren't people she's willing to do business with as they are linked in some ways to her ex-husband who is Justin's father. She worries that if she sold it to them, the company would end up back in his hands even though it was awarded to her in the divorce settlement. That would be counter-productive for everyone except Craig Taylor."


 "And how do you feel about all of this Justin?" Emmett was very interested in hearing the blond's thoughts since it was his family's company.


 "Personally, the sooner my mother can off-load it, the happier she, my sister and I will be. The company, no matter how lucrative, has been nothing but trouble for the three of us and since it's the last link to my father, we want it gone."


 Emmett felt that there was more to the story but he decided not to push. Justin would share his story whenever he was ready but it was enough to know that he wouldn't be part of a hostile takeover. If Justin's relationship was anything like his was with his own bigoted father, Emmett could well understand the need for closure. "Okay, Brian. I'm in. Who else are you thinking of asking. Michael?"


 


Before Brian had a chance to answer the man in question showed up.


 


"Brian! Where the hell have you been? I've been calling your cell and I found the number to Kinnetik PA online so I called there this morning but you haven't returned my calls." He turned on the puppy dog waterworks and pouted to show his displeasure with Brian's defection.


 "You know me Mikey. Busy, busy," Brian responded barely able to stop the eyeroll which almost escaped him automatically.


 "Not too busy for lunch though," Michael said petulantly before inviting himself to the empty seat next to Emmett. It was then that he got a good look at the fourth occupant at the table."YOU! What the fuck are you doing here?"


 All activity in the diner stopped. Brian loved attention at times but this certainly wasn't one of them. "Michael, keep your fucking voice down."


"What the fuck do you mean? This is the little shit that hit me when I went to the loft."


Justin spoke low and calm. He didn't feel the need to make any more of a spectacle as the whiny man across from him was already doing. Turning on his WASP upbringing to full blast, the haughty tone with which he spoke even gave Brian the chills. "Michael, if you're going to tell the story, you should the whole story and not the just the parts that make you look like a victim which you most certainly are not."


 "You fucking hit me after denying you knew Brian."


 "Who I know and who he does or does not know is none of your fucking business, Michael," Brian was a hairs breadth from losing his temper. Justin's hand began stroking his thigh which began to sooth him back down to at least mildly irritated. How the fuck did he do that? "For the record, Justin is the new Art Director of Kinnetik PA."


 "Why would you hire him? Are you trying to go out of business hiring someone who is clearly unqualified or was it what's between his legs and the crack of his huge ass that got him the job?." Before Justin could defend himself, their food was placed on the table and Michael was soundly hit upside his head. "Ma! What the fuck was that for?"


 "Number one, keep your fucking voice down, Michael. You're irritating the other customers and if it affects my tips you're going to have a lot more than a slap upside your fucking head. Number two, Justin works for Brian. It is not your business how or why Brian hired Justin. Why don't you concentrate on your own job? Don't you have inventory or something to do besides cause trouble and sling unwarranted innuendos around?"


"Ma. This is the little asshole who hit me and messed up my hand."


Emmett said low, "It's too bad he didn't mess up that voice." Justin laughed and Brian kicked him playfully underneath the table.


"I heard that Emmett. Why are you defending him? He deserves the slap; I don't," Michael complained at the top of his lungs.


"Again, you fail to tell the whole truth, Michael, so I'll help you out this time," Justin said keeping his icy demeanor to the forefront. "Did you or did you not use a key to enter my loft under the assumption that it was Brian's?"


 "Yeah but-"


 "And did you or did you not attempt to throw me out of my own home assuming I was a trick of Brian's?"


 "Yeah but-"


 "And when you were told that Brian didn't live there, did you leave?"


 "Not right away but-"


 "And did you continue to insult and disparage my character in the home that I pay the mortgage on?"


 "Look that still didn't give you a fucking reason to crack my knuckles with a fucking broomstick, you asshole," Michael whined.


"As far as I see it, I had every right to defend my person and my home under the law. Perhaps you should look up the definition of breaking and entering. Technically if Brian had wanted to press charges at any time while he was living there and you used your key without his express permission, you were breaking the law. So I was well within my rights."


"That doesn't count. We're best friends and have always looked out for each other." Michael folded his arms, wincing slightly at his still-wrapped hand.


Brian shook his head at Michael's antics. It wasn't the first time Michael tried to garner sympathy for his injured hand since the incident happened. "You were wrong. You got what you deserved and honestly, you're lucky Justin didn't press charges against you and Lindsey. Now get the fuck over it, Mikey."


Michael got up to leave after not receiving the attention he felt he deserved as they all focused on the blond devouring his lunch. "Well, Brian, call me when you're through playing arts and crafts with your little boy toy. I'm going back to the store." And he stormed out the same way he came as conversation resumed inside the place where he'd spent most of his childhood and adult years.


 


Deb went back to get more orders which had come up indicated by the small ding on the cook's counter. Emmett, Brian and Justin continued eating as conversation turned back to Brian's business proposal for Emmett.


 


"Well I guess you won't be asking Michael to join the conglomerate after all," Emmett said mimicking Brian's tongue in cheek style.


 "Even if the store was lucrative enough to join it, I wouldn't ask him. Michael is a bad credit risk and lacks initiative. Just look at what he's doing with the store...nothing. Had it been you or I, Christ even Ted, we would have done much more than just have a brick and mortar building."


 "I've offered him advice many times, Brian but all he's done is disregard it and me as someone with no business acumen," Emmett said. "Fabulosity has been doing well since it opened and Ted has increased my investment portfolio. I even talked to him about letting Ted have half the profits to invest to no avail. Personally, I'm glad you're not asking him. Our joint venture would either be doomed to fail because of his accidentally-on purpose mistakes so that you will put all your focus and effort on him or we would all work our asses off while he reaped the benefits."


 


Brian thought about all Emmett had stated and had to agree no matter how much it pained him to do so. Michael was lazy in terms of business and education. He partly held himself to blame for that since he wrote all of Mikey's papers in high school using it as practice for his own work so he could get scholarships and apply for grants. He had always worked for what he wanted whereas Michael always expected someone else to do the work while he skated through life on their knowledge and success. Sadly, his inadequacy showed itself big time when Brian wasn't there to cover for him since he was away at college. As a result, Michael dropped out of college and went to work at the Big Q while Brian went on to get dual degrees in Marketing and Finance and went to work for the top agency in Pittsburgh at the time. Looking back he didn't understand how he and Michael had stayed friends so long when their lives were clearly on separate paths but it was evident that at one point in time, they both lived a codependent existence. Brian had risen above it whereas Michael was trying to rekindle it. What the fuck was he supposed to do?


 


"Hey. You okay?" Justin nudged him with his shoulder, his look full of compassion and concern.


"Yeah. Yeah I'm fine. We still have business to discuss. Are you going to join in?"


"Why is this even a question, Brian? If it means my mother is free of Craig, of course I'll join my interests with you guys."


"Interests?"


"Yeah...interests- plural. I own the freelance business, a logo creating business, two galleries and also three Torso stores- one here in Pittsburgh, another in San Francisco and the other in SoHo New York. The one in New York caters to everyone, not just queers."


"You're the buyer for the clothing store?"


"Indeed I am although I have partners in that venture. I'm sure once I speak to Daphne and Carla, they'll be all for it. We've been friends since grade school so they know the entire history of my family and why this is so important."


"Out of curiosity, exactly how much money do you have, Justin? Emmett you should see what he's done to what used to be my loft," Brian said.


Justin smiled. "Let's just say I'm about as well off as you are, Brian. I don't have to work ever again but I like working and I like money so if I get to have both I'm happy."


"How the hell did you accumulate so much in so little time? It took Emmett and I years to achieve what we have."


"My grandmother on my father's side left me a nice little nest egg. I invested half of that into my mother's real estate company and the other half I split into owning shares within major companies. In fact I own a share in Kinnetik passed what was allotted in my contract, Brian. Right before you took over Kennedy and Collins, I doubled my profit share of Kinnetik Corporation. I later invested five percent in oil since if you look at gas prices now, they're astronomical, the rest I put into owning my two galleries in which I receive ten percent of the artist's profits unless it's my own work in which I receive the entire amount. On the real estate side of things, I'd get the properties really cheap at an auction that my mother attended, fix the houses up at my own expense and resell the house at double market value. Between the real estate and galleries, I flipped some of it and put it back into the businesses and the income I made from my freelance work, I haven't touched until I was ready to renovate the loft and move here permanently. So my money works for me instead of the other way around."


 "Fuck!" Emmett and Brian said in unison.


"How the hell did you learn to do all that, Sunshine?" Brian asked. He'd had Ted to back him up and guide him through the murky waters of investing but how the fuck did Justin learn all this?


"I watched some of my father's business associates down through the years. Before things went south between he and I, he used to have me sit in on meetings with him and I paid attention. Before I graduated high school, I was already investing my allowance money in various things; experimenting with what would work and what wouldn't to build my portfolio. My GPA was high enough that I was valedictorian of my graduating class with a 3.9 average and the 1500 on my SATs guaranteed me a free ride to any Ivy League school in the country, including Dartmouth, Brown, Harvard and Yale. However, I chose to follow my own dreams since I already knew the right questions to ask and was steadily increasing my wealth in my own way."


"So two questions, Justin: Do you think your mother will get on board with this and can we cut out your salary so I can save the money you really don't need?"


Justin laughed. "The answer to your second question is not a fucking chance, Mr. Kinney, since I'm worth every penny. As far as my mother's interests are concerned, I think she'll be fine with the idea but you would have to ask her. Since this is your brainchild, I think it's only right."


Emmett nodded. "He's right, Brian. If this is going to work, it all has to come from you since you are Kinnetik. Nothing works without you at the head. Perhaps in the future that may change with the recent growth of the company and now with us pooling our resources and companies, but until that time you're the captain in this."


 "I have to call Ted when we get back to the office. The restaurants which pay us rent inside the building at Kinnetik headquarters in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles should be given the option to be included in this too. Babylon is already included in this because I own it outright. I'm not sure how much of the Fairmount Cynthia owns or how Ted invested in the Met Opera but I think they will probably have to either buy other businesses or come up with ones on their own. Either way we only have a week to get this up and running since she wants to get this done before the first week in June."


"Why so soon, baby?" Emmett asked Justin.


He was debating what to tell him. Exposing the James brothers and their brand of crazy would be outing himself. Instead he just said, "There are some people whose contracts are coming due at the beginning of the month and she would rather not do business with them again. Since she can't find a graceful way to bow out without renewing the contract, she would rather wash her hands of the entire mess, collect her money and focus on her real estate business." The truth...evasive but the truth nonetheless.


"We better be heading back before that Wayne guy decides to cum all over my desk, Justin. And yours, too. Don't think I don't see the looks he sends both of our ways when he thinks neither of us is aware. I can't even imagine fucking the ass hole of the asshole. Why did you hire that guy again?"


Justin cringed at the unwanted visual image of Brian and William together. It wasn't that William was unattractive. It was that he was as annoying as Michael Novotny had been- clingy, territorial and whiny as fuck. He probably even whined when asking to be fucked. Add to that his arrogance and the dude was just a major turnoff. "I'm beginning to wonder that exact same thing, Brian but we can't fire him without just cause. Since he's after my job, I doubt he'll quit. Regardless of all his bullshit though, he's a talented artist even if he has a highly inflated opinion of himself. And he does."


 "Well pray that he doesn't make me want to kill him and hide his body. He really aggravates the shit out of me."


 Justin closed his eyes and placed his palms against each other. He looked like one of the statues of angels Brian's mother used to keep all around his former house of horrors- all blond and light. "Jesus, please be some patience for Brian. I don't want to have to put up bail money or worse be tempted to join him in jail after we hide the body. Amen."


 


They left the diner to the sound of Emmett's laughter following them.