- Text Size +

 

 

CHAPTER 24: (Continuation of) PHOENIX RISING/ IT’S A BIRD, IT’S A PLANE, IT’S A BITCH and a VROOM


LESLIE:


As I sit here listening to this story, I am simply amazed at the candor, grace, and fortitude all of the people gathered have. To put this story out there is traumatizing in and of itself, but sitting here listening to it and having to pretend to be impartial while doing so, is even moreso. Based on what I know, I have to ask… “So do you think they- meaning Connor and Brandon- acted alone?”


The attorney named Donovan Davis answers, “It’s clear they didn’t. Between Craig Taylor, Michael Novotny, and Lindsay Peterson alone, the James Brothers basically had an insiders’ view of how best to exploit Seven, Justin, and now Brian for their own gains. However, because of the sensitive nature of the case as a whole, and with the investigations still in progress, we are not at liberty to disclose anyone else that we either know, or perceive to be, involved. But just to be clear and candid, charges are being filed both here and in New York City, where many of the crimes have taken place. Also, Melanie and I will be contacting the Los Angeles Police Department to lodge a formal complaint there as well.”


“Los Angeles?”


“Yes. Connor and Brandon also have a home there. In fact, it’s their main base for any business conducted in the midwest or on west coast," Justin answers. "The New York branch is set up the exact same way, serving any companies based in Chicago and moving eastward. So their clients would either fly to New York or L.A. in order to meet with them. Because it’s a financial support business for major corporations, it behooved them to have stationary settings on both coasts where they didn’t have to travel as much during their off-seasons.”


I nod at his answer. The young man is so poised and well-informed. “So you were pretty observant about the comings and goings of the people who sought out James Financial?”


He smiles at me. “For the most part, any high-profile clientele were not taken to the office buildings, for obvious reasons. If the public knew that there was trouble within the company walls, it could severely affect their stock and profit margins.”


“And after the meetings were over, were they…”


Seven dropped his eyes and reached over to hold Justin’s hand when we all heard the slight hitch in Justin’s breath. He answered for both of them. “Yes, some did. It was Connor and Brandon’s way of not only sealing the deal, but showing off at our expense. Birds of a feather, and all that…”


Some openly wiped their tears as the magnitude of what Seven said hit home. My crew and I were hard-pressed not to join them. If these young men had been through this much, I can only imagine what Lynette Algers endured! “So let’s change from this heavy topic into a lighter one for a few moments. How did you two meet, Brian?”


He nodded in acknowledgement and appreciation at my tactic. It wasn’t hard to see just how much he loved his husband, but in that moment I could tell that he was almost ready to storm out on a mission to go looking for the James Brothers and anyone associated with them.


“To say something completely out of character, for me at least, we seemed to have had a whirlwind romance,” he said, causing the people undergirding the Taylor-Kinneys to laugh.


“What?”


“Well, Brian has always had these bogus mantras about love and lust since before I met him,” Cynthia announced, while Melanie, Ted and Donovan nodded. “To paraphrase, ‘I don’t believe in love, I believe in lust- it’s honest and efficient. You get in with a maximum of pleasure and out with a minimum of bs.’ So imagine Brian’s surprise when love literally almost knocked him on his ass.”


“Justin and I literally bumped into each other at a masquerade ball given at my club, Babylon, a short time ago. We both used an alias, which will remain secret…”


“Of course.” I smile, intrigued.


“But it wasn’t until Monday morning, after an eventful weekend and a lot of texting back and forth that we discovered just who the other was,” Justin took up the tale, looking adoringly at his husband.


“Who knew that I would fall hard for my Art Director?”

“What is it about Justin that made you fall so hard? You’re kind of notorious around these parts, even after a five-year absence.” I can’t help but wonder out loud.


“First, he’s gorgeous. Secondly, anyone who can pull off an Armani suit as if it was made with him in mind and then top off the ensemble with a pair of Chuck Taylor’s, is someone who is creative and self-assured. Thirdly, and I think everyone present here can attest to this… Justin is the bravest man I have ever met. Not only because of his ordeal, and the fact that he continues to handle this adversity with grace and dignity, but because within these halls, I can be a bit of a tyrant…”


“AMEN!” Everyone yells. He smirks and raises one eyebrow at all of them, causing them to laugh.


“...but Justin doesn’t let me get away with it. He challenges me, and makes me become a better man, which extends to all facets of my life. It doesn’t hurt that he’s a most demanding lover as well.”


“Brian!” Justin exclaims as he blushes and hides his face in his husband’s neck.


“Yes, dear?” Brian answers in a falsetto voice. To be in their presence is a joy, but most of all it gives me hope that there is also someone out there for me. I mean, if these two indomitable, driven men could find their way to each other through every adversity, why not believe that there is someone out there for me, too?


“So what’s next for you two? And why did you want to respond in this way?”


“Our reasons are twofold,” Justin states. “First, there is the matter of business- both those of our clients, and the public. We believe that doing this interview will afford us the opportunity to live our lives as we see fit, without criticism or censure. The fact that two of our clients believe in us so much that they were willing to come and support us in this very traumatic time within our lives speaks volumes, and we appreciate it more than any words can convey.”


“The second reason is that, litigation notwithstanding, we weren’t willing to sit on the sidelines while our personal business was being aired in such a negative light. Justin and I have been through and seen too much to be backed into corners, or to be put in positions not of our own making. By nature, we are take-charge men- vowing to live in the solution and not the problem. Coming forward with our side of the matter is us taking the metaphorical gloves off to preserve our way of life, and that of our loved ones. None of us asked for this mess to be made public, but now that it has been through the actions of Lindsay Peterson and Ethan Gold, we will not go away with our tails tucked between our legs. We’re not hiding in the shadows, waiting to be sifted like the finest flour until they turn all that we’re building together to dust. They can fuck right off with that notion and the idea they hold some kind of power over us and our actions! They wanted a fight; well now they have one,” Brian says.


“And Seven? What is your motive for coming forward?”


The young man clears his throat before speaking. “Honestly, like Justin, I’m tired of living my life in a manner not of my choosing. This is the way I chose to reclaim all that I’ve lost. I’m tired of living in fear that their far-reaching power is going to reclaim my person and make my life hell again. I absolutely refuse to keep having to look over my shoulder because of two men who won’t respect the fact that no means NO!”


I look at the two men nodding behind him. “Mr. Brown, and Mr. Abrams, would you like to add anything?”


Marlon Abrams, Head of Centurion Studios, says, “For my part, Justin is like a grandson to me, and I think Leo and I both feel that had this been done to one of our own, we would have probably been on trial for murder right now. As a father and the owner of a major corporation myself, I am absolutely appalled at the lengths Craig Taylor has gone to save his company and to be rid of his son because he is gay. It is the mark of a greedy and heartsick man to have perpetrated these actions against his own flesh and blood. As for the contract of Connor James, it is already in the process of being terminated, regardless of any impending litigations against him, per his contract with my studios. Although a little scandal may or may not go a long way in this business, the contract states that any and all unlawful activity or associations, while signed with the studio is grounds for immediate cancellation of any deals on the table. I have already called a halt to production of his latest movie, pending recasting of the role he was to play. The fact that he is linked to Craig Taylor in underhanded business practices is showing just cause.”


“As for me, like Marlon, I look at Brian as family, and family is supposed to protect their own. So I am putting this out there, on behalf of both Marlon and myself, that Brian, Justin, AND Seven are well protected. There will not be a sneak attack; physically, emotionally, mentally, and most especially NOT financially, against these brave young men that any father would and should be proud of!”


It took everything within me not to shiver behind those two statements. Connor and Brandon James are well and truly fucked! “I would like to thank you all for thinking of me when you chose to give this exclusive interview. The fact that you have honored and trusted me to tell the truth of the situation from your points of view speaks volumes about your characters, both individually and collectively. I wish each of you well in your future endeavors. This is Leslie Lockhart, with Xpose, signing off.”


As the cameras stopped rolling, and hugs and kisses abounded, a tall swish stick of a man entered the office. “Sorry I’m late everyone, especially Big Bad and Baby. I wanted to be here, but I just… well come into the conference room and I’ll tell you all. I brought refreshments with me.”


“No worries, Emmett,” Justin says graciously. “But what has you so frazzled?”


“I…”


“Out with it, Honeycutt!” Brian says, and I have to wonder at the tone. It was firm, but with an edge of compassion?


Ted steps forward. “Emmett, what is it? I’ve never seen you so… spooked.”


“Is this something she should hear?” He asks, looking in my direction. “It’s about Bitchzilla.”


“Lindsay?”


“Yeah, the fucking Poltergeist is back!”


“Then in that case, I think it’s better that we ALL adjourn to the conference room,” Brian tells him. “Leslie, you and your staff are welcome to stay and eat, but nothing heard can leave the room until proven, okay?”


“That’s fair. I can’t help but admit that my curiosity is piqued,” I answer. “Is it okay if Calvin leaves the equipment in here?”


“It’s fine,” Brian says as he turns to my assistant. “Sandy, isn’t it?” She nods in the affirmative while she continues to stare at Justin. “You can go speak to Justin if you want. He whispered to me that he knew you from both high school and the Institute.”


She nods. “I didn’t think he would want to have any association with me beyond the interview.”


“Why would you think that?”


“Because I did nothing to help him when I knew something had to be very wrong.” She dropped her eyes, ashamed.


“Justin isn’t like that,” Brian says gently. “And besides, there was nothing you could do, or even if there was, Justin wouldn’t have let you. His mother’s and sister’s lives were hanging in the balance.”


“What do you mean?” I ask.


“Off the record?” I nod, and he continues. “There is so much more to this story than you know. The contract which Justin was under extended to Jennifer and Molly as well. Should Justin have done anything to try and escape, they would kill them. I suspect that was mostly Craig's doing to make sure Justin stayed where he was put. The threat was drilled into his psyche almost daily, even as James bastards were raping him continuously. It didn’t help that those business associates that the James Brothers had over to the penthouse where Justin was kept captive also knew of the entire situation. In fact, one of the assholes had the nerve to threaten Justin just after he escaped and we opened up Kinnetik PA.”


“I wonder… you think Lynette Algers was in a similar situation?” Sandy asks me, but Brian answers.


“I don’t know, but if Lindsay Peterson is involved in any way, anything is possible.”


“Lindsay?”


“Yeah. She and Lynette can’t stand each other. It’s common enough knowledge, but if anyone knows why, they aren’t going to be forthcoming.”


“You remember the scandal regarding Senator Johnson?” Brian nods in response to my question. “Well Diane Baxter said that there was something about a network.”


“You need to be in New York,” he tells me.


“New York? Why?”


“Most of the answers you’re looking for will turn up there. But you didn’t hear that from me.”


As we enter the conference room, where there is an array of food laid out, my staff heads over to it, but I’m tuned in to what is being discussed. I’m reminded again of the tight-knit closeness of the occupants as they sit around the man called Emmett.


“According to Barlow, who is guarding the idiot, Michael told Lindsay of the restraining orders.”


“Okay, but she knew about them before she left,” Melanie tells him. “Why is this an issue?”


“Because there is no doubt in my mind that she’s going to disregard them. Not only that, but she saw the press conference earlier, and knows of the interview here this evening. But while I was talking to Barlow- did I mention that I was at the station while doing so?- well, I was. And Carl, along with Officers Lorie Austin and Star Blackman, brought in none other than Brandon James and Ethan Gold! I have to say it was fun to watch Lorie and Star sneakily make them yelp a time or seven by surreptitiously tightening their handcuffs. You remember how they are, Brian; sweet but sadistic women! They can enact torture without seeming to do so. I suspect Carl asked them to be there just for that purpose. I wanted so badly to ask if I could join in the fun, or at the very least, go and see Michael and yank his own chain a bit. I heard they have both his hands and ankles shackled... but missed opportunities and all that. Anyway, apparently both were lying in wait at Justin’s loft, which means…”


“That fucking bitch! She gave them the information to get in and out undetected! Justin, we can’t go back there!” Brian exclaims, but Justin just smiles.


“Sure we can, Brian.” At his puzzled look, he says, “Contrary to popular belief amongst those with no morals or scruples, I’m blond, but not stupid. After Dumb and Dumber entered my building without my express permission, I had the entire building wired. After Michael’s threat to sue me, while at my home and at the Diner, I gave Carl unlimited permission to use any and all recordings- both video AND audio- as evidence in making his case. So both Brandon and Ethan can add breaking and entering to their already growing list of charges. As for Lindsay, she’ll be prosecuted as an accessory, since they couldn’t have known the layout of the building if she didn’t open her mouth.”


“But they have to catch her first…” Brian says, just as Melanie’s cell phone rings.


She excuses herself while Justin reassures Brian, who is obviously extremely concerned. Ordinarily, I would say that the bitch is unhinged, but from all I’ve heard about Lindsay Peterson thus far, she isn’t. She’s not delusional at all. Brian called her irrationally sane earlier, and I have to say that from all accounts, I agree with him. She knows exactly what she is doing, and is focused on achieving her own ends. Had they been law-abiding and upstanding goals, I could applaud her, since I’m a woman who believes wholeheartedly in succeeding in every one of my own endeavors. However, she is just plain wrong- both morally and mentally. She wants to live the life of wealth at the expense of others, including her own defenseless son. It makes her even worse than Craig Taylor, and her own father in my book.


“And they will, Brian. You have to believe that. She’s going to do something monumentally stupid, and when she does, there will be a cell waiting for her.”


As we all continue to converse about the various ins and outs of the case as we know it thus far, there’s an ear-piercing scream which comes from the direction that Melanie went in. Without thought or hesitation, we all exit the conference room to find Melanie, sliding down the wall, tears streaming down her face, and the cell phone, which was at her ear as she left the room, cracked and in pieces on the other side of the hall.


“Melanie, what is it?” Brian asks, as he crouches down next to her. I would say that she’s going into shock by the way she’s trembling, but the way she looks at him- with a mixture of worry, sadness, hurt, and anger- has us all perplexed until she speaks…


“That was the security office from the building. Lindsay has Gus. She mowed down Leda with her rental car about an hour ago... and took Gus.”


“Is Leda…?” Justin asked.


“In a coma. Brian, that fucking bitch has our son!”


“Someone call Carl. NOW!” He stands up, and I don’t think I have ever seen someone so murderous before. He looks down at Melanie, who is still sitting on the floor. “As for you, and Donovan, start preparing my defense.” He starts to move away.


“Brian? Brian, where are you going?” Jennifer asks him.


I’m going to kill that FUCKING BITCH!”


“Well, I’m going with you.”


“Sugar? M- mom? Brian!” Justin stutters.


“Don’t, Blue,” his mother tells him, in a voice I never thought the elegant woman would possess within her. “She has my grandson, and if Brian is going to commit murder, I’m going along for the ride. I have my own scores to settle. Besides, I think I know where the bitch is on her way to.” Jennifer walks out behind Brian, on her cell phone and ordering the jet to be fueled.


“Jet?” I ask, still stunned by these revelations. I watch as the young man pulls himself up to his full height before he answers me. He turns to us, his eyes shining and hard, like fire-honed sapphires.


“The corporate jet that came with the purchase of Taylor Electronics. It belongs to Kinnetik now. Come on, Leslie. You’re about to witness a fight on my home turf. You won’t want to miss it,” Justin says, running behind them as the others follow. “

 

By the looks of Justin, Brian, Jennifer, and Melanie, it looks like it will be a battle just short of the equivalent of Armageddon. I suddenly understand what Brian was saying about Justin without actually saying the words. Seeing that look of anger and determination, has given me a glimpse of the man that fought to make a life outside of the one planned for him at the hands of his father and the James Brothers. It’s like watching steel being forged and hammered to become indomitable. He may be scared- terrified even- but looking at Justin Taylor-Kinney now, one would never know it. Craig Taylor and his ilk aren’t ready to see this variation of the man they tried to break… but I am!