- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hunter and Molly spend their last week together.

Their last week goes by more quickly than Hunter wants it to go.

 

It's a fun week. A group of them take Mason out for his 21st birthday after they get back from Niagara. Hunter had watched Mason closely as the kid drank more than Hunter probably ever did in one night, which led to Mason barely flirting with a few women who had flirted with him first before becoming immensely guilty and going home to tearfully drunk dial Ezra, resulting in absolute word vomit and excessive apologies that even Ezra seemed baffled by. It had ended with Mason passing out on the couch, Ezra getting a hold of Molly through Facebook Messenger to find out what had happened from a more sober person, only for them to mesh well and chat for a while until they said goodnight. Molly had put a blanket over Mason and a water bottle next to him before pouncing on Hunter to end the night on a good note. Now that they're up, any hangover or regret Mason awakes with disappears with the filling breakfast Molly makes for the three of them, four when you count Jerry, the 40-something year old guy Molly lets in who smells strongly of liquor and occasionally talks to himself. Mason looks disturbed that Molly just hands him a towel and lets him use her shower and washer and dryer, not keeping it to himself as soon as the bathroom door closes.

 

"Molly, what the fuck?" Mason hisses, looking more concerned about Molly than he had when Hunter first met him, "Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you? You don't let homeless strangers into your apartment."

 

It tells Hunter that Mason doesn't know anything about Jerry at all, which means that while he might know about Seth, he probably doesn't know about the attack that Jerry saved her from. It's the only thing keeping Hunter from hugging Jerry and thanking him, since that would probably weird Mason out even more and have him ask questions. The only way he can show his support regarding Jerry is when Mason desperately tries to get Hunter to reason with Molly.

 

"I was homeless for a couple of years," Hunter points out, "I know I felt really grateful when my dads let me shower and crash with them before they officially took me in."

 

"Okay, but this guy isn't some wayward teenager Molly is going to adopt," Mason argues, "He's literally old enough to be her dad. Doesn't that bother you?"

 

"Meh."

 

He probably lost points with Mason due to his response but whatever.

 

After Jerry heads out, he and Molly drive Mason back to Craig's. They stay in the Pittsburgh area for a while but avoid downtown, opting for Mckeesport, which is where Molly takes him on a hike through Dead Man's Hollow. The hike is ridiculously annoying and fun simultaneously. They literally have to slide down a hill, holding onto trees and branches in order to get where Molly is wanting to go.

 

"Hazel's dad used to live down the street from here when we were kids and she and I would explore this reserve all the time," Molly says as they go up and down The Enchanted Staircase, "Her dad disappeared when we were 13. Just up and vanished. Hazel thought he got lost in here and never came out because the place is totally haunted."

 

"Fuck," Hunter says, stopping on the next to the last step, "Did they ever find any signs of what happened to him?"

 

"For the longest time, no," Molly says, "Everyone thought he was dead. But he turned up last summer when Hazel's and Samira's engagement announcement was in the paper. He ran from loan sharks, started a new family, and didn't tell Hazel shit until finding out she was getting married. He just sent her a congratulations message on Facebook, as if he hadn't been a cold case missing person for a decade. Hazel was pissed off. She won't talk to him."

 

"I don't blame her," Hunter says.

 

The hike and the conversations during it are lighter after that and they are playful with each other, Molly taking a lot of satisfaction in trying to scare him which doesn't really work since it is more amusing than anything. Despite the silliness, they do get some walking in and make it over to the factory ruins, where Molly stops in front of one of the decaying walls and gasps, "Oh my god, it's still here!"

 

"What's still here?" Hunter says, coming up next to her, glancing at the graffiti covered wall, "The phrase, 'Eat my ass, Daddy'?"

 

"Later," Molly dismisses, which almost makes Hunter choke on his own spit, "Behind that. It's something I wrote when I was 10."

 

Okay, now Hunter is interested. He searches through everything pretty carefully and it's sort of amazing how far back some of these go. If you look closely on one end, there's graffiti about Lewinsky and Clinton. He has to wonder what kind of spray paint they sell in Pittsburgh to make it last this long.

 

But behind some of the more crude statements and drawings, there are the faded letters:

 

MET
<3
HNB

 

"Are you shitting me?" Hunter says, squinting at the wall to rub at the message, "Did you come out here in the middle of the night while I was asleep, write on this wall in a ten year old girl's handwriting, scrub at it to look old, and write 'Eat my ass, Daddy" over it just to-"

 

"What?" Molly interrupts, confused, before recognition floods her expression, "Oh my god, those are your initials! That's kind of cute. More weird, but still cute."

 

"I literally don't get it."

 

"Molly Elaine Taylor loves Hector Nelson Beckham. Not you."

 

"Damn," Hunter says, throwing a hand to his heart, "You sure took those words back fast."

 

"10 year old Molly was obsessed with this kid," Molly shrugs, "First boyfriend, first kiss."

 

"You got started young."

 

And that probably sounds weird, coming out of Hunter's mouth, considering what he had been doing when he was 10. He would have much rather had some innocent puppy love relationship. He suddenly almost envies it, even though it's pointless to do so - just like it's pointless to wish that Ben and Michael had somehow found him when he was 10 instead of 15, yet he does it occasionally anyway.

 

Besides, he doesn't envy Molly. He's glad that her childhood was never like his. He's glad that she can empathize with it without experiencing it for herself. It would devastate him if the little girl who wrote about her crush on a wall in the woods went through the same things he had. He's suddenly glad that 10 year old Molly was here doing this, nowhere near whatever a 14 year old Hunter had been doing at the time. He's sure that 14 year old Hunter would be happy that Molly was (relatively) safe, drawing some sappy graffiti in the woods without a care in the world, especially if he found out who Molly would become to him in 14 more years.

 

"It was the summer Justin was in a coma," Molly says softly, "I was with Hazel a lot that break while my parents were at the hospital - even my dad before Justin woke up, despite how he felt about Justin being gay. Hazel dared me to do it, I think in an attempt to cheer me up. She stole the paint from her dad's garage."

 

Okay, maybe she wasn't here without a care in the world.

 

Hunter puts a hand around her waist and pulls her in, "Well, whatever happened to Hector?"

 

Molly lets out an overly dramatic sigh, "He cheated on me. Kissed another girl behind the slide. Dumped him immediately."

 

"Totally deserved it," Hunter says.

 

"And he knocked up two girls while we were in high school," Molly says, "Not one. Two. Other than that, I have no idea what happened to him. I moved on very quickly."

 

"Good," Hunter says, weirdly satisfied that Hector is not in the picture at all, "He sounds like trash."

 

"You are the superior HNB for sure," Molly agrees, smiling, "I have to send a picture of this to Hazel. She'll think it's funny too."

 

Despite being in the woods, Molly has enough service to send the picture to her friend before pushing Hunter against the wall.

 

"Oh, we're doing this here?" Hunter asks, his laugh turning into a moan as he tosses his head back while Molly unzips his pants to stroke him.

 

"We're allowed," Molly says, pressing kisses against his neck, "It's our wall. Has our initials on it and everything."

 

Hunter bites his lip and breathes out through his nose, smiling a little at Molly's claim, "But what about Hector-"

 

"Hector is dead to me," Molly dismisses, "I'm just going to pretend I was a perceptive child who knew who I would be with at 24. You're the only HNB I care about, the only HNB I love, and the only HNB I am going to give a blowjob in the middle of the woods."

 

The tenderness that Hunter feels in his chest over the word 'love' quickly turns into lust when Molly makes her proposition and starts to go down. Hunter watches her and feels the need to say, "Watch before you kneel, like for glass or sticks or...Fuck...What are you doing with your tongue? Jesus, Molly, oh my god!"

 

Molly can literally suck the responsibility and reasoning right out of him.

 

By the time he's finished and Molly's standing again, their horny make out session against the wall is only interrupted when Hazel calls Molly, squealing about true love and fate, which only leads to a suggestion that they visit Hazel's psychic aunt in Lily Dale, New York to have a relationship reading done, all while Molly rolls her eyes over the prospect.

-----------------------------------

The rest of the week is as good as it can be despite the fact that Molly works. Hell, he goes in with her on Sunday morning after Molly receives a mass text from Skinner Saturday afternoon, saying that it is recommended that teachers prepare their classrooms over the weekend due to the number of in-service trainings on Monday. When Hunter asks if Molly is going to get paid overtime by going in, she shakes her head.

 

"Nope," Molly says, already sorting through supplies she has stashed away in the back of her closet, "Skinner did the same thing after winter break too. A lot of teachers brought in their partners or their kids or their friends to help out so they wouldn't have to stay all day. Skinner doesn't seem to give a shit about that, as long as he isn't paying us more or providing aides. I should be okay though. If you want to drop me off at the school in the morning, you can keep my car to do whatever so you aren't stuck at the apartment or taking Uber everywhere."

 

Hunter shakes his head, abnormally pissed at Skinner considering the fact that Skinner isn't his boss, "You said you can bring someone in to help you, right? Count me in."

 

Molly looks at him, "I seriously doubt you want to spend a day in my classroom-"

 

"There's nowhere else I would rather be."

 

Molly continues to stare at him, more bewildered, "That's really sad, babe."

 

It is obviously strictly business as soon as they go through the doors that the school, both of their arms weighed down with boxes. A couple of Molly's coworkers introduce themselves enthusiastically. Melinda McGinnis and Linda Barton, two older, motherly women who teach the 1st and 2nd grade, Tyler Liscomb, the overly cheerful music teacher in his 30s, and Shannon MacLeroy, one of the behavioral health specialists from the Special Education school who is around Molly's age, cusses as much as he does, and is very obviously Molly's friend since she keeps coming over to the main building to hang out.

 

"If I spend another fucking second in that classroom with Jason, I'll scream," she says, coming over to work on an atom display, "If I get some ricin, kill him, and hide his body, will they send you over to fill in since none of the subs on the roster want to work over there?"

 

"Probably," Molly answers while she and Hunter both stand on chairs to tack up the banner they painted, "And no, I am not making you ricin so that you can work with me instead of him."

 

"But you know how!" Shannon says, sounding genuinely upset over Molly's refusal to be her murder accomplice, "He won't do shit with Maria, won't even try to build a relationship so he can teach her. He gets pissed every time she attacks him but can you blame her? His frustration with her can be felt from here. You managed to get through to that kid and become her favorite and you're only there for a couple of hours in the morning. It isn't even your class or she's not in your age group."

 

"I wonder how Maria is doing," Molly says, frowning, "Is she still trying to break into the school and headbang off the doors in the evening and on the weekends?"

 

"From what I understand," Shannon says, "Skinner keeps talking about expulsion but how the fuck do you suspend someone with the mind of a two year old, especially when her parents moved up the street to make sure their child could go here?"

 

"Better be quiet on any Skinner criticism," Molly warns, looking back at Shannon, "He's here."

 

Shannon scoffs, "I'm legitimately shocked that he is sacrificing his free time. Then again, it's probably fun for him to see us here on our day off."

 

And Hunter honestly thinks Shannon is onto something there, the way Skinner stops by to observe Molly like he's trying to find a way to criticize.

 

"Did you have your guest sign the book in the office?" Skinner questions, staring at Hunter with what Hunter can only describe as contempt.

 

"Of course I did!" Molly says, way too sweetly to be genuine, "So glad I brought him too. He and Mr. McGinnis are helping out multiple classrooms. You might have to add them to the payroll so at least they can get paid for their services today."

 

If Shannon wasn't standing right next to Hunter, he wouldn't hear her say, "Oh damn, shots fired."

 

As soon as Skinner leaves in a huff - right after pointedly telling Shannon that she has another classroom to tend to - both Shannon and Hunter turn to Molly in shock.

 

"Why can you tell off our boss but not me?" Shannon pouts.

 

"Because you can't do it kindly, subtly, and passive aggressively," Molly says, collecting everything she's cut out in her hands, "I'm taking these to the laminator."

 

Once Molly leaves the classroom and Shannon collects the paintbrushes to wash them off, she glances at Hunter.

 

"I don't know how much you know, but Skinner is a fucking creep with a lot of the younger female staff, Molly and I included. He's fired multiple women due to rejecting him or reporting him. He and Molly are like mortal enemies though, because she got shit passed with the school board that he didn't want to put any effort into, so now he is a different kind of creep with Molly. He still wants to fuck her - it's probably why he has been glaring at you every time he comes in here - but he also wants to murder her, I think."

 

Hunter purses his lips, "Do you know how much I hate hearing that?"

 

"Eh, just figured I would give you some context," Shannon shrugs, "Luckily, I don't have to deal with him much. He's technically the principal at the special ed school too but never goes over there. We're the red headed stepchildren and that sucks in a lot of ways, but it's nice that he avoids us."

 

After Shannon leaves and Molly comes back, he and Molly are able to get everything done by lunchtime, opting to chip in for delivery with the rest of the main school staff before heading out to the car, only to see Skinner in the parking lot on the phone.

 

"Yes, she's a student. Take her to a cell or to the hospital, I really don't care. Make sure you are prepared to chemically restrain her or taze her, she's extremely aggressive-"

 

"What's going on?" Molly interrupts, walking over to Skinner.

 

Skinner looks at Molly in annoyance, "I'm getting Maria off the property and taken into custody. She can't keep attacking staff and the building. She's 16 years old-"

 

"She doesn't understand why she can't come in," Molly says slowly, looking up at the second building, which prompts Hunter to look up as well.

 

Sure enough, there is a teenage girl there screaming with frustration, attacking a man Hunter can only assume is her teacher, and getting a hold of Shannon's hair.

 

"She likes being at the school," Molly continues, "She feels safe there. Take it as a compliment. Let me go see if I can walk her home."

 

Skinner snarls, "I already called the police-"

 

"The police will make things worse," Molly insists, "They'll scare her. She will respond better to staff."

 

"She's not responding well to staff now, or her stepfather-"

 

"Sometimes it just takes a different face," Molly says, "It's great that you had us come in today so that we can be utilized for her. Now, please. Let me see if she will respond to me."

 

When Molly goes over to the second building to help the kid, Hunter has to force himself not to be a dick to Molly's boss and goes to Molly's car to drive over to the parking lot entrance and wait. Within fifteen minutes, Molly is walking hand in hand with an excitable teenager who Hunter can hear making squeals of happiness while she looks at Molly in awe. Hunter can't help but look at Molly in awe too, even after she comes back to the parking lot and Shannon jokingly bows down to her before Molly gets into the car.

 

"Fucking miracle worker," Hunter says, smirking when he sees Skinner's scowl in the rearview mirror as they pull out of the lot.

 

"Not really," Molly says, combing at her hair only for dozens of loose hairs to end up in Molly's fingers, "Look at this shit. She's going to make everyone bald."

 

"You have a nice head shape," Hunter says, "You could pull it off, I'm sure. I'd still date you. Having a badass, bald girlfriend would make me badass just by association."

-----------------------------

By Monday afternoon, not only does he get Molly to agree to see her doctor and get a prescription for PrEP, he also gets her to confirm that she will go to Brian's and Eric's wedding with him as his date so he is able to buy their plane tickets. The relief he feels over getting a couple of extra days with her is a bit extreme. The dread of leaving her has become so potent and consuming to the point where he wonders if there is something wrong with him. He hasn't felt this attached to a girlfriend ever. He's cared deeply about a couple, enjoyed spending time with them and would go as far to say that he loved at least Hannah. But his love for Hannah had been a different kind of love. It had started out tender and fond, protective and supportive, and pretty much stayed that way throughout the course of their relationship until work became a top priority for both of them and any passion between them fizzled out.

 

When it comes to Molly, the components that made up his love for Hannah are still there but are so overwhelming that it's insane. And on top of those things, the passion between them is indescribable. The fact that it's almost impossible for them to be near each other without touching each other is probably a bit ridiculous, the sex between them almost sends Hunter to another plane of existence. The love Hunter has for Molly affects him physically. He feels it in his chest and stomach, even in his hands and shoulders. Sometimes it's a warm, tingling sensation and other times it is literally painful.

 

He's just really glad he's going to get a couple of extra days with her, even if it ends up prolonging the inevitable. But they are able to distract themselves from that inevitable for the most part. As soon as Molly gets off work each day, they are exploring different state parks and restaurants West Virginia has to offer. On Wednesday evening, they meet up with Hazel and her mother so that they can help find the perfect dress for Molly - which ends up being a form fitting dark emerald green dress that she looks fucking beautiful in. He goes ahead and lets Hazel's mother get his measurements for a fitted Navy suit and a tie that matches Molly's dress. Molly is wired and filled with a nervous energy for reasons not quite known to Hunter after they finish and head back to Morgantown. Whether it is a high from shopping around or something else, they go for a drive late into the night and find stuff like haunted bridges and tunnels and then Molly wants to walk on a haunted trail at 1 am because she's apparently into creepy hobbies like that. But it leads to sex in the car right after they make their way back to it so Hunter is definitely not complaining. The result of that gets Molly to fall asleep while he drives back to the apartment and Hunter dramatically carrying her from the car all the way to the bed.

 

"I am too tired to care that you are doing this," Molly mumbles into Hunter's neck as Hunter nudges the bedroom door open with his foot, "Although, I don't see how you are managing to carry me. At all."

 

"Because you're not heavy?" Hunter says, laying her down on the bed with a flop.

 

"I bet I'm not even twenty-five pounds lighter than you," Molly yawns, then sits up, "Let's go weigh ourselves in the bathroom."

 

"Let's go brush our teeth, strip, and go the fuck to sleep," Hunter suggests instead.

 

"I don't want to go to sleep," Molly says, her eyelids looking heavy regardless.

 

"I think you do."

 

"I don't."

 

Hunter puts a knee on the bed, then cards his fingers through her hair, "What's going on with you?"

 

Molly shrugs tiredly, "Nothing. Just want to stay awake."

 

"How come?"

 

Molly stares at him, as if she's willing him to get something, before reaching up to cup Hunter's face. Instead of bringing his head down to kiss him, she just watches him - closely - as if she doesn't want to take her eyes off of him since the hours they have together are so limited as it is.

 

"Yeah," Hunter says softly, situating himself closer before gently lying them both back, "Same here."

-------------------------------

As happy as Hunter is for Brian and Eric, the wedding weekend comes too soon.

 

They are met at the airport by Emmett, Michael, Ben, JR, Justin, and Nathan. Emmett immediately goes into gushing mode, telling them how gorgeous they both look and how perfect their romance is, basically because he's Emmett. JR greets him like she hasn't seen him for months, rather than a little over a week. His dads and JR hug Molly possibly more enthusiastically than they hug him. Sort of rude, but it is a rudeness that he can totally understand since it is Molly. Justin looks like he wants to slaughter him, all while Nathan looks at his boyfriend in amusement.

 

"You should ride up to Montauk with us," Justin says, eyes not leaving Hunter at all, "It will be more cramped if you get in Emmett's van."

 

"I didn't realize you were so desperate to spend quality time with me," Hunter says sweetly, which has Justin glaring more before he heads for the car in a huff.

 

"He's uh…" Nathan starts, scratching the back of his neck, "He's thrilled about you guys."

 

"Yes, I can definitely see that," Hunter says, smirking.

 

"Play nice, Hunter," Ben says, giving him a look, "Your favorite pastime of messing with Justin should probably stop now, all things considered."

 

"I am being nice!" Hunter insists, all while Molly rolls her eyes, "I'm going to treat Molly like she's a queen when we are around her brother and act like the lovesick fool that I am."

 

"...We'll see you up there," Michael eventually says after shaking his head in amusement, "We are heading back to stay at Emmett's tonight after the rehearsal so we might not see much of you until tomorrow."

 

The ride up is a little tense, since Justin is relatively quiet. Hunter has the feeling it isn't only about the fact that Justin is trying to adjust to the two of them being together. This is also Brian's wedding weekend and it isn't like Justin and Brian have been pals for years. The two literally just started talking again right before Christmas. Brian was the first great love of Justin's life. Hunter sort of feels for him. Even though he and Hannah stayed friends and their relationship fizzled out rather than exploded like Brian's and Justin's did, he would probably have a few mixed emotions going to her wedding as well. He'd mainly be happy for her and - more so - happy for himself since he has Molly and no one can compare. But there would probably be a little bittersweet nostalgia attached. It probably doesn't compare to what Justin's feeling right now.

 

"So you have any big events coming up, Justin?" he asks, genuinely taking Ben's advice by at least trying to play nice.

 

Justin glances back at him in the rearview mirror, as if he's wondering what Hunter's angle is before shrugging.

 

"No big ones for myself until July," Justin answers, "I have a show in Portugal. A gallery there wants to headline and sell my work. Other than that, I'm focusing on up and coming artists at my gallery. I don't want to take too much on since Nathan goes into previews at the end of May."

 

"That's fair," Hunter says, "You excited about the show, man?"

 

Nathan shrugs, "Yeah, I guess. I've never done theater other than a class in high school so I'm more nervous about the acting part of it."

 

"But he's a natural," Justin says proudly, briefly reaching over to take Nathan's hand, "What about you, Hunter? When's your next gig? When does the month of love come to an end?"

 

Molly glares and kicks the back of Justin's seat, "You're a fucking dick."

 

And yeah, Hunter can agree, but even he's surprised by how touchy and hostile Molly is about the subject.

 

"I have a few pre-production meetings as soon as I get back this Monday," Hunter says, putting what Hunter hopes is a comforting arm around Molly, "That week is pretty filled with them. Then I'm heading up to the apartment in San Fransisco that the production company is setting me up at next weekend. We go start shooting next Monday.

 

"Who all's involved?" Justin asks, seeming to feel guilty enough over Molly's outburst to play nice too.

 

"Darren Aronofsky is directing," Hunter begins to list off, "Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem are starring in it, the supporting cast is Ed Harris, Michelle Pfeiffer, Kate Mara-"

 

"Shit," Justin says, glancing back at Hunter bewildered, "And you're doing the cinematography?"

 

"Yep."

 

"You're the head cinematographer."

 

"Unless they fire me next week, then yeah," Hunter says slowly.

 

"That…" Justin starts before trailing off, likely not having anything to come back with, "...Well, fuck. Good for you. I mean it."

 

The sense of relief he feels over Justin being proud of him is incredibly annoying.

---------------------------------

He and Molly don't go down for the rehearsal and neither does Justin. They aren't in the wedding party so there really isn't any point and Hunter has a feeling Brian wants to keep the number of people in attendance small as fuck so he doesn't get nervous the night before his wedding. Nathan is with the band checking on the set up for the reception so it's currently only the three of them in his and Molly's suite. It's awkward, it's slightly off-putting, it's-

 

"I'm going to take a shower," Molly says suddenly, getting up before Hunter can call her out on her shit. It's comical how much she hates awkward silences. It's also comical that Justin looks like he is on the verge of giving him a speech.

 

"So…" Justin starts and yep, Hunter was right.

 

"So…" Hunter mimics, laying back on the bed to stare at the ceiling, slightly bummed he isn't with a naked Molly in the next room.

 

"How the fuck did this happen?" Justin asks finally. Hunter glances up and sees Justin frowning.

 

"Well, Justin," Hunter begins, "When two people wake up way before anyone in their families, having nothing to do after having a deep conversation but also have an empty hotel room available, plus they like each other very, VERY much-"

 

"No, stop, seriously," Justin interrupts, holding up his hand, "I don't need to hear that. I didn't need to hear that you hooked up with my sister at my gallery either, but too fucking late for that."

 

"Yeah, too late," Hunter agrees, "I wouldn't take that back for anything. Didn't even make our top ten but it was still fucking awesome."

 

"I hate that I know you've slept with her enough times to even form a top ten. I don't really like any of this," Justin says, and okay, that kind of hurts.

 

Hunter hums, but then has to ask, "Well damn, didn't know you hated me that much. Am I really that bad?"

 

Justin actually looks like he feels a little bad, "I don't hate you. I don't, okay? I let you stay with me on New York shoots when you first got started, didn't I? You fucking annoy the shit out of me sometimes, but whatever, it isn't even that."

 

Hunter nods, then decides to sit up since this conversation is getting serious apparently.

 

"Is it the HIV thing?"

 

Justin lets out a breath, "Partly. And I know you are safe with everyone but that's partly it."

 

"Well-"

 

"And it's the fact you used to have sex with men," Justin adds, wincing at the bluntness of it, "I don't...I don't want my sister getting her heart broken because you decide you're not into women after all, just like you decided you weren't into men back when you were 16."

 

Hunter forces the frustration the speculation causes, the fucking hurt, the feeling of never being able to fully escape his past. And honestly? He thought Justin understood, at least somewhat. He had fucking talked about it - to both Justin and Molly - five years ago. He hates that Justin said it. He hates it almost as much as he hates that he understands why that would be a concern.

 

"That's…" Hunter starts, trying not to lose his cool, "Justin, I was severely sexually abused for years. I was violently raped when I was 10 with my mom's okay and it happened more than once, on and off her watch. I didn't sleep with anyone less than three times my age until I dated Callie in high school. The thought of hooking up with another guy ever again makes me feel sick to my stomach. It doesn't come from a homophobic place, I promise you, but I wouldn't be able to do it. I never was actually into men. I tried to convince myself I was to make it more tolerable, did what I had to do, but I have never actually been genuinely attracted to a guy. 98% of the times I was with a guy, I didn't even come and the times that I did, it was because I was forced to and I would actually throw up after."

 

Justin looks like he feels guilty, immensely so, but then he clears his throat and says, "You were into Brian. You literally said you'd fuck him for free."

 

Hunter actually snorts at that, despite hating that memory almost as much, "I did say that. But compare Brian to my Johns. He was younger than they were, a lot more attractive, and probably richer than a lot of them. There were a few guys on the street who, at the time, got what I thought was lucky because they had not terrible looking guys to keep them as their live in boy toys. If you had fucking paid attention, any 'crush' I had on Brian stopped as soon as I stopped tricking. And even if the crush had been genuine, bisexuality is a thing. I don't identify that way, but it is valid despite all of the supposedly super gay people in our family-"

 

"Okay, I don't need a speech on the LGBTQ community, especially from someone who says they identify as straight," Justin interrupts, sighing, "...Look, I'm sorry, alright? I didn't mean to bring your past up or get you upset. If it means anything, I think what happened to you was fucking terrible and your mom deserves to be in jail. I just...Fuck, Hunter, I don't know. I'm not dumb. I know there was some crushing between the two of you when you both stayed with me. Thanks for not hooking up with her back then, I guess -"

 

"She was only 19 then," Hunter shrugs, "It felt like it would be inappropriate to hook up with her, especially when you were giving me a place to stay."

 

"Yeah, she was super out of your league too," Justin responds before his eyes narrow, "She still is."

 

"Oh, we can agree on that," Hunter answers, nodding, "I'm really fucking lucky. She's beautiful, intelligent, fucking amazing in bed. Like, Justin, you have no idea-"

 

"I'm going to check on Nathan," Justin mutters, out of the room before Hunter can even think about elaborating. Another time then.

--------------------------------

He does fuck with Justin a little the next morning, just a little as he pushes in Molly's chair for her and looks at her like a lovesick puppy, all to weird Justin out and because he had told Molly he would and he tends to keep his promises. Justin had come down in a sort of iffy mood anyway, so Hunter would like to think that he's giving him something else to focus on.

 

"You're ridiculous," Molly says, rolling her eyes when Justin walks over to pay the bill for their brunch, all Nathan looks at both of them in confusion, "I didn't think you were actually going to push in my chair for me. You're so weird."

 

"Do I have my lovesick puppy dog look down yet?" Hunter asks, staring at Molly with exaggerated adoration but Molly ends up not dignifying that with a response and turns to Nathan.

 

"How much has my brother been bitching about this?" Molly asks him, "And I will know if you lie and say he hasn't been."

 

Hunter barely knows Nathan but he can tell the guy is loyal as fuck to Justin and he's not going to blab about his boyfriend to just anyone. But Molly is Nathan's friend. Nathan is a year younger than her and she's obviously formed some sort of bond with him, enough to get him to open up slightly.

 

"He's uh…" Nathan starts, thinking on it, "He's not expressing his negative feelings on it as much as he did a few weeks ago when he first found out. He'll get over it."

 

"Uh huh-" Molly starts, only to be interrupted by a child's voice.

 

"Hunter!"

 

The sound of Lily's squeal has Hunter turning his head. Lily has Duncan in tow, who Hunter only knows through pictures and stories, since he hasn't even seen him in person until now. Drew is trailing behind, already looking tired but amused by their energy.

 

"I've missed you lots and haven't seen you in a bagillion years!" Lily says as she dramatically tosses herself at his side, "Daddy said you were coming and I got very happy. You need to meet Duncan! This is Duncan!"

 

"Hi!" the little boy chimes in, obviously a man of few words.

 

"Hi, Duncan," Hunter says, sending the little boy a smile, "It's nice to meet you. This is Molly."

 

"Hi, Duncan," Molly says sweetly, causing the boy to bite back a huge grin.

 

"Justin's sister is Hunter's girlfriend!" Lily whispers excitably, "She's so so SO pretty."

 

"Yeah," Duncan says in awe as he stares at Molly, "So pretty."

 

"Alright, both of you," Drew says, trying to usher both the four year olds away, "You need to start getting ready. Come on. Sorry we can't stay, guys. I'm on kid duty until Emmett finishes with overseeing the reception set up and then I think he's getting Justin to take over an hour before the wedding."

 

"I'll be there," Justin says, re-appearing at the table, giving both kids a brief hug, "I'll touch base with him anyway. I will probably just stay with Nathan and the band until you guys need me."

 

After Drew takes off with the kids and Hunter and Molly part ways with Justin and Nathan, they're left alone.

 

They make the most of it.

-------------------------------------

Brian and Eric walk up the aisle together as fiances and down the aisle as husbands, no objections raised from anyone in the crowd once.

 

Hunter can't help but glance at Justin every so often, just to make sure the guy is cool with everything. He hopes he is, for his own sake and for Nathan's, and Hunter thinks that he is for the most part. Justin's eyes do get a little teary near the end, but people do cry at weddings, regardless of their relationship to the people in question. Hell, Hunter sort of feels like shedding a tear because Brian and Eric look so damn happy together. It weirdly makes Hunter want something like that. The thought of Molly walking down the aisle in a wedding gown just makes him feel more emotional, which is stupid because as intense as his relationship is with her, it is way too soon for that.

 

He forces himself to chill out. He's not going to cry over a fucking wedding and give Molly that kind of satisfaction. If Justin can hold it together, Hunter certainly can. Lindsey and Michael are blubbering messes though and it's very easy to see Michael since he is one of Brian's best men. They need to quit it with that shit because it's obviously at least minorly contagious.

 

Of course Brian is still Brian. As he and Molly are headed over to the tent, he sees Brian dragging Eric along the path towards the resort, because there's no way a guy with Brian Kinney's libido is going to wait until after the reception.

 

"Hi, Hunter!" Eric calls out, stopping as his husband gives him a death glare, "It's great to see you! You both should have come down for the rehearsal last night, I would have loved to hear about the new project your working on-"

 

"But it can wait until after we get back," Brian says pointedly, practically pulling at his husband like an inpatient toddler.

 

"Be polite," Eric scolds, "You know, you should be more invested in Hunter's career since you hired him for TV spots early on and be proud of what he's accomplished and-"

 

Brian cuts Eric off with a filthy kiss, all while not so subtly pulling the man in by his ass. Whatever else Eric was going to say is forgotten as he quickly follows his husband without complaint.

 

"Well, they're shameless," Molly says, laughing, "Can't even wait until their guests leave. Guess I can't blame them. They're both pretty hot."

 

Hunter smirks at that but forces his expression into one of concern, "Should I be jealous?"

 

Molly rolls her eyes but circles her arms around Hunter's neck, pressing several kisses against his lips before Hunter holds her tight to kiss her more deeply.

 

"You don't need to be jealous," Molly mumbles against his lips, "They're both way too old for me. Justin is the one into older men. And now younger men, considering he's with Nathan. He just likes men, period. I'm more picky. You tick off all the marks on my list of criteria that potential lovers need to meet. Handsome, talented, kind, funny, best dick ever, and short."

 

Hunter scoffs at that last one, "Still two inches taller than you and you can't pretend otherwise since you are wearing flats."

 

"Have you tried walking in heels while in grass?" Molly asks, "It's like asking for a broken ankle. You'd have to carry me all night and that wouldn't be fun for you at all."

 

"I would do it with no complaints," Hunter says.

 

"You liar."

 

"I would," Hunter insists before bringing her in for a kiss again. They are away from the crowd and prying eyes and the fact that he's not going to kiss her again in God knows how long after tomorrow is killing him on the inside. So he lets himself indulge and doesn't continue their silly conversation so that it won't interrupt this.

 

"Hunter and Molly sitting in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G! First comes love, then comes ten - no, seventy! - babies, then comes Hunter feeling like he's crazy!"

 

Silly children are a different story. Although he will admit that he's impressed with Lily's ability to alter a song.

 

Lily laughs hysterically as Hunter forces himself to not pout as Molly breaks off the kiss. Lily marches over, looking quite proud of herself, all while JR and Gus stand back and he immediately knows they put her up to that.

 

"I spelled kissing, Hunter!" Lily enthuses, looking up at him with pride, "Because I know how and that's what you were doing. I saw."

 

"Very perceptive," Hunter says, "Aren't you supposed to be with an adult?"

 

Lily shrugs, "I'm with you and Molly! And Gussy. He said he would give me five dollars if I sang that to you and I need the money. You understand, right?"

 

"You need to learn how to negotiate for a higher salary, Lily," Hunter says, picking the little girl up when she inexplicably reaches up for him to do so, "People try to underpay women in the workforce and that isn't fair. You need to tell Gus that original lyrics call for a higher paycheck. You deserve it. Tell him you want more money or no dice."

 

Lily nods her head seriously before turning to look over at her brother, "You're right! I do deserve it! Gussy, I want twenty dollars or no dice!"

 

But Gus has found an excuse to wave both of his sisters off because having a girlfriend and becoming a teenager has sort of occasionally made him a douche.

 

"Whatever," Lily huffs, flipping her styled, curly hair behind her shoulder, "JR and me will just hang out with you and Molly until my Daddy and Papa get back. Emmett said they had to do something very fun and important but he had a look on his face, like my Papa gives me when I don't want to get out of bed."

 

He tries not to laugh at that, he really does, but Molly barely attempts to conceal any laughter at all which doesn't help his own resolve.

 

"Why are you laughing at me?" Lily pouts at the both of them, but gets over it quickly as she gets a sweet, yet calculating smile on her face, "Hunter, are you and Molly going to get married?"

 

"Yeah, Hunter," JR finally jumps in, "Are you? I asked Molly in Niagara and she wouldn't say."

 

Hunter glances at a put on the spot Molly in amusement, "Oh, really? And why would you ask her that?"

 

JR rolls her eyes, "Because? You were in Niagara. A lot of guys propose to their girlfriends there. You had a really nice suite and on the drive down, our dads were talking and they said that you never were so in love before and when I asked them if you guys were going to get married, they said they like Molly so much that they hope you do propose to her one day. So I just had to ask."

 

"She HAD to ask," Lily reiterates as Hunter regrets fucking asking two young girls about this shit in the first place. He had been expecting a cute answer, not one exposing the fact that his dads wanted him to marry his long distance girlfriend of only a few months. He's almost afraid to look at Molly now. But he's kept from having to do that when Lily suddenly gasps in delight.

 

"I have the bestest idea!" Lily says, "You and Molly can get married today! Here! There's bunches of people here, there are chairs in the garden, Jinkx can talk for you guys and make sure you're married right. I can be your flower girl, only me this time-"

 

"That isn't fair, Lily," JR glares, "He's my brother. If anyone is going to be his flower girl, it's me."

 

"If he's your brother, he's my brother too!" Lily says back, a frown firmly placed on her face, "Gussy is my brother and he's your brother. Hunter is your brother, so he's my brother! Sharing is caring! That's just how it works!"

 

"That's not how it works-"

 

"It is!" Lily interrupts, leaving no room for a rational argument, then lets out a groan, "I forgot! Molly needs a dress! She has a nice dress on but it's got to be a wedding dress! Ughhhhhh!"

 

Lily throws herself back flopping over Hunter's forearm before Hunter puts her down.

 

"It was a good plan while it lasted," Hunter says, patting a dejected Lily on the head.

 

"My parents and friends aren't here anyway," Molly answers, "We'd have to wait for hours for them to arrive for my impromptu wedding. Maybe next time."

 

Lily grumbles before saying, "They don't have to come. My Grandpa and Abuela didn't come. I heard my Uncle Diego say it's the elephant in the room but that makes no sense because there's no elephants here! At all! It would be so much funner if there was though."

 

"Oh, I completely agree," Molly says, completely able to ignore the sad subject that Lily just brought up, "Elephants are so interesting."

 

"Did you know there are three different kinds of elephants?" Lily asks, as they take the opportunity to walk the girls to the entrance of the tent, "African Savannah, African Forest, and the Asian elephant. I have a whole book on elephants!"

 

"Wow! That's so cool!" Molly exclaims as Lily takes her hand, "Did you know they use mud as sunscreen?"

 

"I did!"

 

Hunter hangs back as JR and Lily start completely gravitating towards Molly. It's so fucking cute that he wants to take pictures of the sight but he forces himself not to. For the most part.

 

Okay, he takes a few.

 

After the speeches, dinner, and cake, the reception is mostly spent dancing with each other. Molly does go off and dance with Justin for a couple of songs and Hunter has to force himself to keep himself occupied so that he won't listen in on that conversation. He dances a slower song with JR and a faster one with Lily, spinning her around in circles and dipping her until she is laughing hysterically and claiming that he's a wild man.

 

Michael, Ben, Eric, Brian, and Gus also dance with Molly, but he's not really concerned about any conversations that can happen there at all. Maybe a little with his dads since apparently they want him to get fucking married to her, but it's only the dance with Justin that gets him a little nervous, especially since he's pretty aware of Justin's concerns regarding the fact that Molly is with Hunter at all.

 

Gus asking her amuses him. The boy is blushing and obviously crushing on Molly a little by the time his dance with her is finished. Hunter thinks about embarrassing Gus and asking him why he was dancing with his girlfriend, but he tries not to make it a habit to be a dick to 14 year old boys and he can't blame Gus for having a crush anyway.

 

The rest of the time, however, is spent dancing with each other, off to the side, far away enough from the rest of the crowd to almost feel like they're alone.

-------------------------------

They don't sleep that night.

 

They take advantage of every second together. The sex is passionate and almost desperate, knowing it's their last night together. He doesn't know if he's ever held Molly so tightly nor as she held him with such an urgency. As the sun begins to rise, their time together takes a turn and Hunter can't help but feel a weight on his chest knowing that in a couple of hours, this will be over.

 

"This fucking sucks," Molly mutters, sniffling and wiping at her eyes before anything can escape, "I hate this. I love you and you're still phenomenal in bed, but I hate this."

 

"I hate it too," Hunter says sadly, "We'll...we'll figure it out, okay? I'll come see you and you'll come see me. We'll meet in the middle. We'll make it work."

 

"But what if we can't?" Molly says, before getting more emotional, "We might not see each other for months, Hunter."

 

Hunter shakes his head and props himself up, "I won't let that happen, okay? I won't. I don't think I can go that long without seeing you. I'm physically incapable. I love you. JR might have embarrassed the shit out of me by talking about what my dads said, but she's right. I've never been more in love than I am with you."

 

Molly nods but she doesn't look comforted at all. It's like she doesn't believe that they'll see each other anytime soon - like she'll believe they'll have this again when she sees it.

 

"You'll have the summer off-"

 

"I'm working at the special education school part time until mid July."

 

Part of Hunter wants to ask her why, beg her not to, offer her money if it's about needing money, but he forces himself to keep his mouth closed on the matter.

 

"I'll definitely come in for Hazel's wedding in July," Hunter says, "If one of us has a long weekend, we'll be on the first flight out."

 

"I should have all long weekends," Molly says quietly, "I'm only working two days in a row during the week once summer starts. Don't know which ones yet."

 

That makes Hunter feel a little better, "See? You can fly out every fucking week if you want to."

 

Molly frowns, "That sounds expensive. And it isn't the same. It won't feel like the last three weeks have felt."

 

He wants to point out that he would pay for her ticket every single week while he was filming just so he could see her for a few days, but he doesn't want to open that can of worms, or the one that consists of him begging her not to work this summer just so she can stay with him in California. He could ask about that second option later.

 

So instead, he just strokes her cheek, kisses her once, and says, "Yeah, I know."

------–-------------------------

Anticipating leaving her had been rough - really fucking rough. But actually leaving is a whole different matter. He feels like he can't move his feet. He doesn't want to take one step towards his gate. Molly can't even pretend she's not crying, her face in her hands. Hunter is trying, he's really fucking trying not too get too worked up. But the sight of her like this hurts and the fact that he has to leave her when she's like this is fucking unbearable.

 

So yeah, he cries a little too. Into her hair so she can't see him and get even more upset. He's already upsetting her enough.

 

Justin can see him though. At first, Hunter wonders how Justin even feels about this emotional goodbye. You'd think he'd be happy, since he doesn't really want Hunter with Molly and that's clear. But no, even Justin looks at them sadly. Nathan seems even more upset. Hunter can't think on it. He can't focus on them right now.

 

"Fuck, Molly. You're going to make me cry if you keep this up."

 

It's meant to come out as a joke, something light to get her to cheer up a little, but Hunter's voice is strangled to all hell and it makes him burrow his face into her neck just for a second so he doesn't fucking lose it as Molly just cries harder and sobs out, "You're already crying. I f-feel you getting my hair wet."

 

Hunter lets out a tearful laugh, "I'm sorry. You put so much work into it this morning and I'm just messing it up."

 

Molly lifts her head from Hunter's shoulder and wipes beneath her eyes with her fingers, "I'm already a fucking mess. It's really not a big deal."

 

Hunter watches her for a moment, tries to memorize her even in this state, and shakes his head.

 

"You're beautiful."

 

Hunter presses his forehead against hers and just stands there in silence with her, cupping her face with every amount of tenderness he feels for her. They stand there like that until the last call for his flight.

 

"You should go," Molly says, making no attempt to move first.

 

"...Okay," Hunter breathes out, bringing her head forward to kiss her forehead twice, "Okay."

 

Molly nods, her expression crumpling, before throwing her arms around his neck to kiss him goodbye.

 

"I love you," Hunter manages to say after they part, causing Molly let out a sound filled with longing and pain.

 

"I love you too," she chokes out. Before Hunter can say goodbye or later or throw Molly on his shoulder and add her as a last minute carry-on, she's out of his arms, quickly walking away as she bypasses her brother and Nathan.

 

He manages to get through security with only a few looks of confusion and concern by the way he must be coming off. He gets his carry-on in the overhead compartment and realizes that he has the whole row to himself. Usually, he would be thrilled but right now? It feels so fucking lonely. He is able to make it until the plane has taken off and the fasten seatbelt sign is no longer lit before rushing for the bathroom and locking the door. As gross as Hunter is sure it is, he doesn't even sit on the toilet. He just slides down the wall and onto the floor and cries. It's overly dramatic and stupid and he's crying like Molly broke up with him - or worse - fucking died. Neither are the case and Hunter meant it when he said they wouldn't go multiple months without seeing each other. He will make sure that they see each other as much as possible. He will fucking make sure that this heartbreaking, long distance bullshit doesn't last forever either. But despite that, he can't even bring himself to a point where he can pull it together, not yet, not without her. Molly has ruined Hunter's capability of living life without her.

 

This fucking sucks.

Chapter End Notes:

Next chapter should be up tomorrow night. It is already complete. Thank you for reading!