- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The last day Molly saw Hunter in person was April 19th, 2015 and as each day passes, she can't help but feel that even if he's worth all of this loneliness and pain, she isn't.

Relatively angsty chapter ahead. Molly is going through a lot of stress in this one so just a heads up for sexual harassment in the workplace, sexual assault (forcible kissing), Seth (he's just going to be a TW in general), and general self-worth issues.

May 1st 2015

Molly is adding the more stylistic touches to the poster board as soon as her phone pings. She glances over at it and sees that it's Hunter. He's later than usual. Usually, he's back at the apartment by 9 pm. Right now, it's 2 am for her, making it 11 am for him.

 

Hunter: Hey, checking in. Sorry I didn't get to call. Some of the cast and crew went out because we have a late start tomorrow. Back at the apartment now. Katniss still hasn't changed her mind on the place. She hates me for making her leave LA for a few months. I hope you had a good day. Bummed I didn't get to hear your voice. :/

 

Molly looks down at the phone, wondering if she should even answer and get into a late night conversation when she has to work on a bunch of shit. But yeah, she misses hearing Hunter's voice too. She can deal with the pain that hanging up brings her after.

 

I'm up if you want to talk.

 

She sends the text before splattering some red on the board. Skinner will probably hate it, but the kids will love it and that's what matters to her.

 

Her phone rings, Hunter's name lighting up the screen and she answers it with a, "Yo."

 

Hunter lets out a soft laugh, "Yo to you too. And yo, why the fuck are you up? You have to be at work in 5 and a half hours."

 

Molly sighs, "I have stuff I have to get done. Fake blood with different pH compounds to make, fingerprint kits to compile. Also - on the other end of the spectrum - ingredients to make bath bombs to gather and separate."

 

"How many science booths are you running at that carnival tomorrow?" Hunter asks, "Or are you doing some super weird hybrid? Woman loses consciousness in the bath by a toxic bath bomb, found stabbed to death the next morning-"

 

"See, this is why I need you here," Molly says seriously, "You made my classroom look more awesome than it already did and I already took pride in myself when it came to having the coolest looking room. If you were here, you could have came up with a whole case like that so I wouldn't have to oversee two booths and would have a super cool case for the investigation booth on top of that."

 

She doesn't mean to make it come off like she's guilting him, she really doesn't, but Hunter seems to take it that way when he doesn't answer at first before clearing his throat.

 

"...I wish I was there. I really do," Hunter tells her softly, "This first month is tough though, with pre-production, rehearsals, meetings with the set design team to corroborate my side of things and their side of things, plus setting up first days of shooting-"

 

"I wasn't trying to guilt you, Hunter," Molly interrupts, "Really, I wasn't. I get that you're busy right now."

 

"It will be less busy in June and July," Hunter says, "Darren is promising that this shoot won't go past July 20th. You said that the summer session for the sister school is only until July 17th, right?"

 

"Right."

 

"And you aren't doing it full time? You are only going to be working there a couple of days a week?"

 

"Yeah, hourly," Molly says, "I get my salary through the summer but this gives a little extra income, so that's nice."

 

Hunter lets out a breath, "Look, if you are working there because you need extra money, please don't. I can give you whatever they are paying you."

 

Molly rolls her eyes, "The extra cash is just a perk. I work there during the summer session because I really enjoy working with the kids there. Like I've said: keep your money."

 

Hunter stays silent on the other line so Molly prompts him, "What, Hunter?"

 

"...Nothing," Hunter says sadly, "It's just...I don't know, I thought I could maybe fly you out here for the summer if you didn't work. More than just for a weekend."

 

Molly purses her lips, "That's nice of you...I just...I don't know. I can't do that right now."

 

"Why?" Hunter asks, sounding agitated.

 

"Me saying no doesn't have to do with you," Molly tells him, "I have obligations here. And in Pittsburgh. Plus in Connecticut and New York. My family is on this side of the country and I can't spend the whole summer over in San Francisco and LA, especially when my grandpa is the way that he is and my dad is still having bad days."

 

She can tell Hunter is losing his patience, although he is probably desperately trying not to. They parted in New York not even two weeks ago but it was…fuck, hard is an understatement. The sudden loss of his presence after having it for three weeks had left her devastated for days. When Hazel had picked her up from the airport and had taken one look at her, she wouldn't even let her stay in her apartment by herself. Hazel had just gotten her stuff from her office at home, loaded it into the car, and told Samira she would be in Morgantown for a few days. Molly didn't have it in her to argue. She had just sat there the whole time and cried. She didn't even go into work the following Monday or Tuesday. She claimed she came down with a virus over the weekend. For once, Principal Skinner wasn't an ass about something that Molly requested or suggested. She sounded so hoarse and stuffed up that he had believed her.

 

She never told Hunter how she had become a broken down mess after he left. She hadn't answered the phone for him that Sunday or Monday or Tuesday. The few times she had texted, she told him she was sick and her throat was really sore. The flowers he had sent to her apartment on Monday had just gotten her more worked up. It wasn't until Wednesday - after she had gotten back from swimming with Gabriel - when she got a text from Quinn that she realized Hunter wasn't doing all that well either.

 

Hey, are you okay? Hunter is a mess right now. He's going to his pre-production meetings but won't get out of bed when he isn't working. He needs to get it together before he leaves for San Francisco. Can you call him?

 

That's what Quinn had texted her and it had pulled her out of her own self-pity just enough to feel guilty that Hunter wasn't doing well and she had just been avoiding him. It had pulled them both out of their funks - at least to an extent - but she didn't miss the way Hunter had sounded so depressed and tired when she finally caved. Some women might feel perversely special that they could get a guy that worked up over missing them. All she could think is that she isn't worth it. That he can do better. Someone who could accept his gifts without feeling guilty over the money spent, someone who made as much as he did, someone who didn't have a psychotic stalker, someone who didn't live across the country, someone who had their life together as much as he did. She still feels that way.

 

"Fine," Hunter says, sounding like it pains him to accept her answer, "For a few days then."

 

"Once the summer session starts," Molly says, feeling like an asshole, "School ends June 5th and final grades and the exam process is time consuming."

 

"When is the summer session?" Hunter breathes out.

 

"Last day of school is June 3rd," Molly says, "We have in service the 4th and the 5th. I start the summer session with the sister school on the 8th and will work Mondays and Tuesdays there until July 17th."

 

"So I could get you an evening flight for the 9th and have it go back on the 14th?" Hunter asks, his voice sounding strained despite them talking about a visit.

 

"I guess."

 

"What is 'I guess' supposed to mean?"

 

Molly lets out a groan, "I don't want you paying for every flight either of us take."

 

"I would rather spend a little bit of money than go the whole damn summer without seeing you," Hunter says stubbornly.

 

"Fine," Molly says, "I will get the next flight, whether it's you or me who's taking it."

 

"I will get this one. You're sure you don't have any long weekends before that?"

 

"The last weekend in May, I get that Friday off," Molly says, "But I'm going up to New York for Nathan's play...I think. If our family is still doing that. I don't know."

 

"Justin and Nathan are still broken up, right?"

 

"Yeah," Molly says, "But Nathan is my friend and he doesn't have family. I asked Justin if he should refund my plane ticket and he just made it for Thursday evening instead of Friday morning because he wants me there before our parents come in."

 

"Oh."

 

"Yeah," Molly murmurs, "So how's JLaw? You hang out with her tonight?"

 

Hunter snorts, "She's fine, I guess. She got really drunk and I had to take her back to the place they are boarding her. It's a lot nicer than the place they gave me."

 

"Your place looked pretty nice in the pictures you sent me," Molly shrugs, "But still, rude."

 

"I guess," Hunter says, "She asked about you. About when she was going to meet you. She was really demanding of it. She tried to take my phone to call you."

 

Molly tries not to feel shock and confusion over one of the highest paid actresses in Hollywood trying to call her but fails, "How did I even get brought up?"

 

Hunter lets out a sheepish chuckle, "Apparently, I came off as morose tonight and she grilled me about my life, then my sex life. Like I said, she was drunk."

 

"Huh."

 

"What?"

 

"...Nothing," Molly eventually says, "I just didn't realize you were close with her."

 

"I'm not," Hunter says pointedly, "We hung out some during Silver Linings, I hadn't talked to her since, but she remembered me and seemed happy I was doing the cinematography on this shoot when she found out."

 

"Okay," Molly says because what else is she supposed to say?

 

"Molly Taylor," Hunter says, sounding amused for the first time since this whole conversation started, "Are you jealous of JLaw?"

 

"Who the fuck isn't?" Molly snorts, "And on that note, I am going to bed. After I get the bath bomb ingredients sorted."

 

"Alright," Hunter says softly, "Try to get more than 3 hours."

 

"No promises."

 

Hunter clears his throat and stays silent for a moment before saying his next words, "I hope everything goes well tomorrow. I love you."

 

Molly swallows around the stupid lump in her throat and nods, "Yeah, I love you too."

 

She hangs up first so that she doesn't have to hear the beep. It fucking hurts and she hates hearing it.

 

She forces herself to get everything gathered up and ready on the counter before brushing her teeth and trying to get the three hours that Hunter suggested. The first half hour of that is spent on her side, looking at pictures of Hunter from their trip to Niagara, then pictures from her trip to LA, pictures of him at her apartment and out at Cooper's Rock.

 

She eventually runs out of her own personal photos of Hunter to look at, so she gets on his Instagram. She doesn't have one but he does. He doesn't post on it all that much and there are no photos of her on there but there's a good reason for that. She hates that she has to be so private about her relationship with him but she isn't going to risk Seth somehow figuring out who Hunter is to her, only to be driven to ruin Hunter's life all because he saw some coupley photo of them.

 

So even though there are no recent pictures on there that Hunter has posted himself, there is a picture that Kate Mara - of all fucking people - posted and tagged him in.

 

Loving this cast and crew already! <3

 

Almost all of them are smiling, Jennifer Lawrence has an arm slung around Hunter's shoulders. Hunter isn't frowning, but he's definitely the one who looks like his head is elsewhere, even with a beautiful woman casually wrapped around him. A beautiful woman who lives in the same state as him, a woman he wouldn't have to fly out just to hang out with him, a woman who could fly herself out every week if she wanted to.

 

He deserves better. It doesn't have to be Jennifer Lawrence or Kate Mara, but she is getting more and more confused when it comes to why Hunter is in love with her.

------------------------------

Both of her booths the next day are a hit and probably draw the biggest crowd of kids and parents. The bath bomb and soap making booth is more of a hit with the girls, while the CSI booth seems to be a hit regardless of gender. Some of the parents are more tolerable than others. One she weirdly ends up knowing personally. Holly Banks, now Holly Fitzgerald. She had gone to middle school with her and had actually been good friends with her at the time. Molly hadn't seen her since the 8th grade - until today, that is. With her 9 year old, 4th grade daughter.

 

Despite being a science teacher, Molly can do the math. She remembers the reason why Holly moved and had never been heard from again in the first place. Tucker had been the one Holly ended up breaking down to regarding her stepfather. Tucker had been the parental figure her friends felt comfortable talking to. He was young, kind, and their teacher, plus he rode a motorcycle. As much shit as Molly occasionally gives him, he's still someone she knows she can talk to about stuff, as can Hazel and Jerome. Molly distinctly remembers Tucker, her mother, her father, Madison, and Lorelei Levitt all sitting them down and fearfully questioning them on whether Holly's stepfather ever touched them inappropriately or hurt them.

 

The answer had been no. Unless both Molly and Hazel blocked out some seriously fucked up shit, she had never been sexually assaulted or abused as a kid. She almost had been in college, making for another awkward and upsetting conversation with Tucker, but not as a child.

 

Holly had been. And she apparently had a child from the abuse that occurred. As soon as Holly recognizes her, she goes white and Molly immediately feels awful because this is a woman who has obviously moved on. She seems to have a nice husband - one who is at least a decade older but he seems good with Holly's daughter and excited over his wife expecting a baby in a few months. She's changed her last name. She lives in a different state. Molly hates that her being here might have brought up some bad memories for her. The look on her face sort of reminds her of the look Hunter had on his when Rita Montgomery harassed them at their table a few weeks ago.

 

So Molly doesn't bring anything up, nor does she pretend not to know her. All she says is, "I'm really glad you're doing well. I'm looking forward to having your daughter for Science next year" and leaves it at that.

 

"You're Molly Taylor, right?"

 

The words don't come from Holly, they come from a man, most likely in his late 30s. He's handsome and has a slight Irish accent. He's well put together, with short brown hair, brown eyes, and just a hint of stubble.

 

And going by his attire, apparently a priest?

 

"That would be me," Molly says, kind of confused as to why a priest is even here.

 

"Great! That's great," the man says, almost acting relieved that he's found her, "I love your work."

 

What fucking work is he talking about?

 

"The poster board?" Molly tries, glancing at the bloody looking presentation.

 

"Well, it is eye catching," the man agrees.

 

"Thanks...uh, Father."

 

"Sorry, sorry," the man excuses himself, "I don't know where my manners went. I'm Matthew Carney. Not a father. Well, I am, my kids are with my wife here somewhere, but not a Catholic. I'm a reverend. Presbyterian."

 

Molly nods, "Well, it's nice to meet you. I'm glad you like the poster board. If your kids haven't done the activities yet, they are welcome to -"

 

"I was actually talking about your work on the after school program and how comprehensive it is," Reverend Carney says, smiling, "We just moved here a month ago from Ireland. I'm leading the congregation at the church in Westover. I would like to build some extracurricular programs for our youth. I would love to hire you to help me plan them. And of course, you and your family are more than welcome to join us on Sundays and during our evening bible study on Wednesdays."

 

Molly clears her throat and feels a bit put on the spot, "That's really nice of you to think of me, but I'm not religious. I mean, like not at all. It might be more appropriate for you to choose someone from your congregation to help you, or someone from a more religious background-"

 

"Don't feel like you can't offer your services due to our differences in religious beliefs," Reverend Carney says, "Just because you believe in one thing and I believe in another doesn't mean we can't work together as friends and colleagues. Besides, I enjoy hearing different viewpoints. I’m actually one who promotes aligning religion and science when at all possible. And like I said, I would pay you for your services."

 

"You're very considerate, but-"

 

"Miss Taylor would love to work with you on your programs."

 

Molly turns her head and sees Principal Skinner standing there, standing tall as he looks at her with a pointed expression.

 

"She did such great work with our after school program, we've seen a significant increase in grades and enthusiasm within the classroom. I am sure whatever she can come up with something and tweak it to make it appropriate for a church setting," Principal Skinner continues before glancing at the poster, "Less blood would be a good start."

 

Molly is extremely tempted to point out that most churches display a man nailed to the cross by his wrists and feet, but she holds her tongue.

 

"Wonderful!" Reverend Carney says, "We will exchange numbers then, meet tomorrow or Sunday after church lets out if you are free?"

 

"I can text you her contact information right now," Skinner says, glancing at Molly as he pulls out his phone.

 

"Fantastic," Reverend Carney says as he pulls out his phone, only for Molly to receive a text a few seconds later, "I best be off to find my wife. Ms Taylor, I hope to see you this weekend."

 

Molly can only nod as Reverend Carney leaves her table because she apparently has no control over her life. That's made clear when as soon as Skinner speaks again.

 

"He may be a reverend, but he is also the sole heir to an oil fortune. His family is old money. He's worth hundreds of millions of dollars. He's known for his major contributions to the local schools in his community. He opted for this school upon moving due to the special on the news about the program being passed. Do not fuck this up. If I need to take you off of your summer shifts so that you can dedicate everyday to that man, I will."

 

She tries not to glare at Skinner as he walks away.

-----------------------------------

The next two weekends are essentially spent working with Reverend Carney in his office at the church, as do her following Monday, Wednesday, and Friday evenings. He's a nice man, extremely nice, and it's weird that she's sort of friends with a reverend of all people, but she doesn't hate it.

 

Hazel isn't a fan. Neither is Jerome. Hazel especially makes that clear when she is driving Molly back from Rubina's Dance Studio after their Burlesque class.

 

"He's literally taking up all of your time and calling you even after you leave to brainstorm more," Hazel says as soon as Molly gets off the phone with him, "That isn't normal behavior from someone who is employing you for your services. He probably wants to bone you. He's probably a creep."

 

Molly lets out a groan, "Not every man out there is a creep, Hazel. I know I tend to attract them but Matthew has a wife and kids."

 

"Just makes him even sketchier since he is so obsessed with you," Hazel shrugs.

 

Although Molly doesn't feel like the time spent around Matthew is completely out of proportion, it is noticeable, even to Hunter who isn't even here.

 

"Skinner is asking a lot from you," Hunter says, possibly sounding more irritated than she's ever heard him sound in her life, "This isn't like once or twice a week for a couple of hours. This is several hours a day, five days a week that this guy wants to spend with you and work you into the ground."

 

It's time consuming," Molly says, feeling defensive, "Do you know how much work I had to put into the after school programs to prepare them and get them approved?"

 

"Yes, but a lot of that was about meticulously planning speeches and arguments and budgeting. This guy has a sky high budget and is approving all of your ideas," Hunter points out, then groans, "I...Whatever, Molly. If you trust him, then fine, but I am going to be honest and say that I don't like you spending all of your time with him."

 

Molly feels anger bubbling in her gut, "I swear to God, if you even try to tell me who I can and can't work with or hang out with-"

 

"No," Hunter says quickly, before deflating, "I wouldn't do that...Fuck, Molly. You know I wouldn't do that to you. I'm just...I don't know, I don't want you overworking yourself. I don't want you getting taken advantage of by some multi-millionaire with fifteen years on you who has permission to do so from your boss. You are sometimes working sixteen hour days because of this guy, plus you are still going up to check on your dad on Tuesdays and Thursdays - which were originally your long days work days - and it takes an hour and a half to get there. I don't want you to become absolutely exhausted."

 

Molly snorts, "You work sixteen hour days - with beautiful, successful women surrounding you, I might add - and I don't get on you like you are getting on me right now."

 

"...Do you want to get on me about it?" Hunter asks, "If something is bothering you about this shoot or my job or the people I work with and you need to get it out, then vent. Go ahead."

 

The anger leaves her just a bit. It might be because of Hunter not getting riled up at her words. But more likely, it's because venting over how the women Hunter works with are probably better suited for him would just make it more true.

 

"It's nothing," Molly says instead, "I was just trying to put you on the spot like you were doing to me."

 

"...I wasn't trying to do that to you," Hunter says, sounding guilty, "I am just worried. Don't mind me, okay? I'm being selfish about it. Hell, I'm probably jealous. He gets to spend a lot more time with you than I do. I guess I'm worried that you working with him will interfere with your trip here in a few weeks. I'm sorry."

 

Molly sighs, "It won't. Okay? I made sure that it won't. I miss you too much to help out a church."

 

Hunter lets out what sounds like a forced chuckle, "Yeah, at least you can agree there is one thing weird about this. You're pretty agnostic, babe."

 

The conversation on her being obligated to a church and some reverend is less tense after that, at least the few times the subject is brought up. She can still tell Hunter doesn't like the whole arrangement - both with her unofficial second job and the fact that they are so far away from each other. He doesn't make that hard to figure out. She has to wonder if she's as easy to read on the phone. If he's figured out that he doesn't have to deal with the distance and heartache, that there are girls he can pursue out there and talk to both in person and on the phone without sounding so fucking down when when the conversation is over.

 

Girls without a psychotic stalker.

 

"You're...uh," Matthew starts, glancing down at her constantly vibrating phone as she works on a display across the room, "Your phone hasn't stopped ringing in the last five minutes.

 

Molly glances over and winces, "Yeah, sorry. I will turn it off as soon as I am done with this."

 

Matthew nods, but presses her on the subject, "It sounds like it might be pretty serious. Maybe an emergency?"

 

Molly knows it's not. Her Fitbit is showing her all of the different numbers and she knows who it fucking is.

 

"It's an ex from almost five years ago," she says, wincing over the fact that she just told the person who is paying her to be here that she used to date someone who stalks her to this day, "He gets like this sometimes. Haven’t had any type of relationship with him since I broke up with him but oh well. It is what it is. Now, how do you want the set up to-"

 

"It doesn't sound like he respects you," Matthew frowns, staring at Molly with concerned eyes, as he steps towards her, “He shouldn’t be harassing you. You deserve to be loved and cherished, to have a man by your side who knows that. You are an extraordinary and beautiful woman, Molly.”

 

“...Uh huh,” Molly answers eloquently, “So, the Noah’s Ark exhibit for the animal science activities, I was thinking outside might be more appropriate for the set you’re planning to build. It will be good for the kids to get fresh air, allow more space for them to interact with the animals, plus you can probably have more animals on site when that day does come.”

 

Matthew spreads his arms, “As always, all wonderful ideas. Hiring you is the best thing I’ve ever done.”

 

Molly tries to forget about the exchange after she leaves for the evening. Maybe it’s an Irish thing or maybe religious people are just super socially awkward and they come off like they’re flirting when they’re really just trying to validate everyone as a child of God or whatever. Besides, Matthew is married. She just got the list of her students for next year and she’s supposed to have his son in her homeroom class. He’s technically employing her. He’s not hitting on her.

 

So she ignores it and keeps trying too when Matthew says the color of her eyes are probably the same color as the sky in Heaven. She subtly leans away when he puts his hand on her back and she tries to only be vaguely appreciative when he comments on her beauty before asking about how his wife is doing with the bake sale coming up.

 

She should have been more blunt. It probably wouldn’t have killed her second job three weeks in.

 

It’s May 22nd and a Friday. Molly actually has the evening off and Hazel and Samira have taken it upon themselves to come over to make dinner. When there’s a knock on the door, she assumes that it’s Jerome and Rubina or Gabrielle and Gretchen. Molly had kind of been dreading it, even though she loves all of them. Being the only single one in a group of couples is bad enough. Being technically involved with someone who is absent more often than not - only to hang out with a group of couples - might be even worse. She gets up to get the door though. Molly isn’t rude, nor is she going to be a bitch about her friends having their SOs living with them while hers lives over 2000 miles away.

 

It turns out to be none of them.

 

“I...uh,” Matthew says, flowers in his hands, “I was in the area and thought I would stop by.”

 

Molly stumbles and sputters on sounds, glancing at the flowers and at Matthew’s hopeful expression, “Uh...Okay, I’m confused. How did you even know where I live?”

 

Matthew at least has the decency to look bashful at that, “I asked Principal Skinner. I had to see you.”

 

“We…” Molly starts, trying to figure out what to fucking say, “We’re working together on Sunday after church lets out. I thought that was the plan. You could have waited to see me then.”

 

“I couldn’t,” Matthew insists, stepping inside as Molly just stands there in shock. Out of the corner of her eye, she can see Samira and Hazel enter the living room as Matthew continues, “I had to see you now. I can’t keep pretending. No matter what I do in this case, I will be disobeying God, but I might as well do it in a way that makes me happy.”

 

“Okay,” Molly answers slowly, “I mean, yeah, you should definitely do what makes you happy-”

 

“Good,” Matthew says. And then? Before Molly can figure out shit, he tosses the flowers behind his back, grabs her face, and smashes his lips against hers.

 

It takes a second for Molly to even move because it’s like her brain is short circuiting and it isn’t in a good way, not in the way that Hunter makes her mind and heart stop at a standstill when he kisses her. No, this it more of a ‘what the fuck is happening and why is this my life’ type of way. But she forces herself to get a grip on reality just long enough to push him off of her.

 

Or she tries to. She pushes him away and he grabs her to kiss her again. She grunts out a "Get off of me!" before she ends up shoving him hard enough to stumble. When he steps forward again, she holds her hands out and steps back.

 

“Matthew…” Molly says, trying for a kind, patient approach, “I think you’re confused-”

 

“I’m not,” Matthew says, shaking his head, “Molly, when I look at you, my mind has never felt so clear. I’m...Look, I know I’ve only known you for a few weeks, but it feels like a lifetime. I’m falling in love with you.”

 

“...Well,” Molly starts, then decides to not even touch that, “You’re married. You have a wife. And you have children, one of which is going to be in my class next year. You need to focus on them.”

 

“I can’t,” Matthew answers, “I can only focus on you.”

 

“Then you need to try harder when it comes to fixing that,” Molly says slowly, “You have a family. Your wife loves you. Your kids love you. I’ve never been to a service, but I’m sure your congregation loves you too.”

 

“I’ll leave them,” Matthew says, sounding so sure that it freaks Molly out, “I’ll resign from my position. I have plenty of money. I have never done this for the money. I don’t need to work. I do this because I thought it would be the right thing to do. But now I know that the right thing to do is to be with you.”

 

When Molly lets herself look past Matthew’s hopeful, determined, slightly crazed expression, she sees Hazel and Samira standing several feet behind Matthew in the living room. Samira is just standing there with her eyebrows raised and her mouth open, while Hazel is standing there not so subtly filming everything, all while frantically mouthing ‘WHAT THE FUCK?’ and possibly ‘CREEP! I TOLD YOU! CREEP!’ but Molly isn’t sure on that last one.

 

She isn’t sure how she feels about their presence. On the one hand, Hazel is definitely going to hold this over her head for the foreseeable future and Molly really isn’t looking forward to that. On the other hand, it might be good to have back up here if Matthew becomes physical, if the cops need to be called, or if she needs to pretend she is in a committed lesbian throuple so that Matthew understands he doesn’t stand a chance whatsoever.

 

“I am in love with you, Molly,” Matthew says, sounding more sure than ever, “I want to take care of you. My heart isn’t in my home. I’m not even sure it’s with God right now. It’s with you.”

 

“...I don’t feel the same,” Molly has to finally say, “I don’t want to hurt your feelings, but I’m in love with someone else and I’m never, ever going to be the reason someone leaves their wife or their kids or their job. I’m sorry, but this isn’t going to happen. Ever.”

 

She feels bad at first, the way Matthew’s face falls. Even though this could be chalked up to a mid-life crisis or Matthew having an episode of some sort, she doesn’t want to hurt him. She had been telling the truth when she told him that. He’s a nice guy. For the last couple of weeks, despite some of his actions that Molly now definitely knows were flirtations, she was starting to consider him a friend to some small extent.

 

But the sweetness and the kindness Matthew had consistently displayed throughout their working relationship seems to dissolve away as soon as he processes her rejection. His eyes narrow into slits and his mouth curls into a snarl. Before Molly can blink, he’s throwing the foyer table at the wall, causing one of the legs to break off. Molly flinches at the sound and ducks before any splintering wood can hit her. She hears Hazel yelling out a warning at Matthew, telling him she's filming him, all while Samira holds her fiance back from getting any closer. But more clearly, she can hear what Matthew says next to her, as he steps forward to utter the last words he will ever personally speak to her.

 

“I put my heart on my sleeve and offered you a beautiful life and you refused to take it? I offered to give up so much for you and you just say no, like that means nothing? Who has shown you that much appreciation, hm? No one, I bet. You certainly don’t deserve it. You deserve nothing. You’re the fucking Antichrist.”

 

And with that, Hazel breaks from Samira's grip and charges into the foyer.

 

"Get out," Hazel says, opening the door for Matthew as he takes one last look of disgust at the both of them and leaves.

 

"And go get gangbanged by some archangels, you rapey, entitled prick!" Hazel calls out into the hall before slamming the door.

 

And then it's quiet, the flowers on the floor and the broken foyer table being the only signs that Matthew was ever there in the first place. She doesn’t know what else to do except to clean up.

 

“Hey, Antichrist!” Hazel says, coming over, “Go sit down. I got it.”

 

“It’s fine,” Molly mutters, her hands shaking as she picks up the table, only for a second leg to break off. It makes her so angry that she throws it to the ground. Tears immediately spring to her eyes and she covers her face with her hand. She hates this fucking shit. She doesn’t know if she’s starting to angry cry because that’s Hazel’s thing and Hazel’s condition is contagious or if Rita Montgomery triggered something in her and now it is going to be a semi-common occurrence, but she hates it.

 

It could be because she’s felt so lonely this month. It might not be about anger at all. Any negative emotion stemming from whatever the fuck just happened, regardless of what emotion it is, might have caused her to react like this. She’s emotionally mature enough to realize that. She’s just not emotionally mature enough to cut it out.

 

“Aw, Antichrist,” Hazel murmurs, pulling Molly’s head onto her shoulder, “Don’t cry over what he said. None of it is true. Dude’s off his rocker. That’s why, when you are bringing about the Apocalypse, he’ll be our first sacrifice when it comes to opening the Gates of Hell.”

 

“You’re so fucking weird,” Molly sobs out, not even finding it in her to fake a laugh.

 

“No,” Hazel counters, “I’m fucking cool. Because my best friend is the Antichrist. You should write a book about being the Antichrist. Or write a memoir and include this moment. The moment you turned down some creepy wannabe priest and he called you the Antichrist. I would buy ten copies.”

 

“Stop,” Molly says roughly, lifting her head to wipe at her face.

 

“Fine,” Hazel sighs, “No tell all. For now. But maybe you should go call Hunter and talk to him for a while. Tell him, at least.”

 

And Molly doesn’t know why that triggers her, but it does.

 

“Why, so he can think ‘I told you so’ like you probably are?” Molly snaps.

 

“Okay, woah,” Hazel says, holding her hands up, “I am not thinking that. Did I think that this guy probably wanted you to work so much for him because he thought you were hot? Yeah. But I didn't think he would do anything like this."

 

"Right, because the only reason any guy would want to work with me is because of the way I look. Not because of anything of substance I can actually offer," Molly continues, walking past Samira and through the living room, all while Hazel says, "What the fuck? I did NOT say that! You are stressed out and you are selectively hearing the worst of everything and you know it! Are you seriously just going to bail and hole up in your room? Molly!"

 

She closes the bedroom door before she can get into an argument with Hazel. Hazel doesn't deserve the anger Molly is feeling towards fucking everything and she doesn't want to say shit she regrets.

 

So after she forces herself not to throw anything against the wall (only one piece of furniture is going to get broken tonight and that quota has been hit) she lies down and stays in her room, even when she hears the other two couples come in. Jerome knocks on her door, asking if he can come in, but she just calls out, "I'm fine. I will be out in a little bit."

 

They must not take her word for it because within 30 minutes, Hazel walks in - no knock whatsoever - and drops the phone on her chest.

 

"Call Hunter."

 

"He's working," Molly mutters, not bothering to even touch the phone.

 

"Then tell him that something happened and it's an emergency," Hazel says.

 

"Why would I lie to him?" Molly says, "I'm here in one piece."

 

Hazel scoffs, "Your boss of three weeks came into your home, sexually assaulted you, and ruined your foyer table."

 

"He didn't sexually assault me-" Molly starts, but Hazel interrupts her.

 

“Look up the definition of sexual assault. Forcibly kissing someone is included in that and I saw your face after he left. The whole thing freaked you out. Hunter needs to know.”

 

“He does not.”

 

Hazel purses her lips, “I know if something like that happened to Samira, I would want her to tell me.”

 

Molly tries not to get riled up again, “He can’t do anything about it. He’s across the country on a shoot. If I tell him, he’s just going to get all worked up and upset and he doesn’t need to.”

 

“Of course he does,” Hazel says, “He’s your boyfriend, Molly. He’s in love with you. He needs to know.”

 

Molly just throws up her hands at this point, “I don’t know what he is. All I know is that he doesn’t need to get all worked up about a woman and her never ending drama over 2000 miles away from him.”

 

Hazel is quiet for a moment and Molly can feel her eyes on her, “...What? What are you even saying?”

 

“Just…” Molly starts, then shakes her head, “Look, I’m fine, okay? I promise, I’m fine.”

 

Molly even stands up to make a point, “See?”

 

“No,” Hazel says, studying Molly more than ever.

 

“Let’s just go eat dinner. Please. Let’s just forget about it for now, alright?”

 

Dinner is okay, despite the fact that she can see the broken table out of the corner of her eye. Her friends don’t bring up what happened more than a few times. Gabrielle and Gretchen are insistent that she call Hunter and tell him what happened, but promise they won't do it themselves. Jerome wants to track down a millionaire who had been devout to God until he got a boner for Molly, Samira is trying to keep things light and keeps trying to change the subject - it’s partly why she’s the best girlfriend out of the three girlfriends Hazel has had - and Rubina just says, “Well, if you aren’t going to be working for him any longer, you can help me with the Burlesque class again because you are the best and the girls follow your moves as much as they follow mine. And I know you. Between a church and glorified stripping, you will choose glorified stripping every time.”

 

And okay, that’s true.

 

By the time they all leave, Molly feels better than she had earlier in the night. She is able to talk to Hunter, act like nothing happened, and he only asks if she’s sure she’s okay twice, she helps out with the Burlesque class on Saturday morning, and she doesn’t go to the church on Sunday afternoon. She isn’t even questionably bailing. She receives a text saying her services are no longer required at 5 am on Sunday morning. It isn’t until Monday that she has a bad day again.

------------------------------------------------------------

 

“What did you do?”

 

It’s the first thing Principal Skinner asks her during their meeting an hour before classes begin. She had received the calendar notification the day before through her work email, one that said 'REQUIRED: SUPERVISION MEETING - 7 AM' even though 7:30 am is her start time. It doesn't exactly make her feel like aiming to please.

 

"Can you be more specific?" Molly asks, too tired to feel apprehensive under Skinner's glare.

 

"Reverend Carney called over the weekend, stating his children would no longer be attending this school due to the unprofessionalism of one the teachers. When I asked if you had done something, he said he would no longer need your assistance with the youth program and that he would send you the last check in the mail. Care to tell me what you did to upset him so that you or I can go about getting back what would have been a major private contributor?"

 

Molly lets out a breath and how is she even supposed to explain this?

 

"You would be better off asking him. I don't know what his thought process was but he's right. Continuing to work together after he arrived at my home to say what he had would be unprofessional."

 

Skinner squints, "What is that supposed to mean?"

 

"...Look, I am not aiming to hurt Reverend Carney's relationship with his family or church or even this school but one of the three had to occur. I'm sorry that turning down his advances made him pull his kids out of our school, but he's a married man and to put things bluntly, I'm not interested in him," Molly says, keeping eye contact.

 

Skinner takes a moment to study Molly then says, "You're saying that a married man who is devout to his church and family came on to you."

 

"Yes."

 

"Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?" Skinner asks.

 

"Do you realize how ridiculous it would be to lie about something like this?" Molly says.

 

Skinner sits back in his chair, "You could be doing it to save face if you're the one who did something in the wrong. You could want money out of him."

 

"No, Principal Skinner," Molly says tiredly, "I'm not the one who wants money out of Reverend Carney."

 

Principal Skinner scoffs at that then says, "Well, you have no proof that he did such a thing. So unless that changes, your actions as they stand when it comes to upsetting one of our most prominent parents-"

 

"I do have proof," Molly interrupts, "Two of my friends were in my apartment when the incident occurred. One of them is overly paranoid so she got pretty much everything."

 

Before Principal Skinner can answer, Molly gets out her phone and pulls up the video, which starts out with Skinner telling her he wanted to be happy, only to force a kiss on her, and ends with the word Antichrist.

 

Principal Skinner watches the video closely, then once again before handing the phone back to Molly. If Molly happens to move her thumb the wrong way and press record? Oh well. There's a reason Hazel is paranoid
It's the same reason Molly is paranoid too.

 

"Well, you still upset him. You should have known the consequences of turning down Reverend Carney’s advances and reconsidered the offer for the sake of the school. He was attracted to you. You could have compromised. If you cared at all about this school, you would have. His wife and kids wouldn't have to know."

 

That wakes Molly up a bit. Because really? He's not even going to try to be more subtle than that?

 

"...You're telling me," Molly begins, staring at Skinner, "That you think I should have begun a romantic and most likely sexual relationship with a married parent at this school? You think that would have been more professional than turning him down? You think breaking up one of our student's families - or putting it in jeopardy by sleeping with his married father - would be okay with your superintendent brother? Yet it wouldn't be okay for me to show any autonomy by saying no? I should have just what? Taken one for the team, slept with this man because you think it would be for the best? That's what you call professional?"

 

Principal Skinner's condescending expression turns to one of hesitation as she calls him out on his bullshit before she leans in.

 

"You and I have differing opinions on professionalism, but even I don't think you are that clueless. You have been objectifying me, taking advantage of my lack of seniority, and talking down to me since I started here and I believe you at least had a hunch when it came to what Reverend Carney wanted when you gave him my home address, which is against school policy. So please, before you call me in here early again for an emergency meeting on my professionalism - only to insinuate I should have slept with one of the parents for the sake of private donations - think really hard on who is actually the unprofessional one here. Now, if you are going to write me up, go ahead and do it because I need to get over to the other building."

 

She gets a first warning write up for insubordination. She refuses to sign it, stating she would prefer a comprehensive and detailed write up as to what triggered her insubordination in the first place, not the vague one page paper he typed up within two minutes. Only then will she sign it, as long as Vice Principal Langan is in the room to witness. By the time she leaves his office, Principal Skinner's face is purple with suppressed rage.

--------------------------

Despite her early, stressful, and oppositional start to the day, things go smoothly even after she gets to her car to go home. She strangely feels better than she thought she would - despite some nerves over the possibility that Skinner will come up with a comprehensive write-up. She already has evidence to back that up in case she has to fight it. She doubts it will do much good but it won't make any disciplinary actions or termination easy. Skinner may have screwed over teachers he harassed and hit on in the past due to his family ties to the school board, but she wasn't going to let him do the same to her without having ammunition.

 

Honestly, it's been a while since she had stood up for herself in one way or another. The last time had been her stint throughout the fall all the way into the beginning of February, when she was actively going up against Skinner and the school board. It had been something worth fighting for - something she had wanted to fight for. This could probably be considered something worth fighting for as well, although she sure as hell doesn’t want to be in this position. Still though, the feeling of standing up for herself feels nice. It’s something she feels like she hasn’t done as much of after Seth, after he beat her down physically, only to continue to do so emotionally. He had been part of the reason a lot of the rebellion in her had, if not died, become too tired to re-emerge often. It’s almost nice that work is bringing it out of her, even if it is due to shitty reasons.

 

No, it had happened once outside of work. Back when she practically jumped Rita Montgomery. Hunter had called her feisty. Apparently, he saw a quality in her that she hasn’t seen in herself in years. She almost wanted to call and tell him what happened. Hunter has an almost amusing hatred regarding Skinner. He would probably be extremely proud of her. But telling him that she had stood up to him would lead to telling him why she had to stand up to him and that would get him extremely upset.

 

She ends up texting Jerome, asking if they can meet for Happy Hour at Mountain State Brewing Company, because she needs to talk to someone. And once she does meet him, sitting across from each other at a table out on the patio overlooking the river, they share a pizza and a pitcher of a beer she doesn’t hate (which is rare) and tells him everything about the day.

 

“You…” Jerome starts, shaking his head after he listens to the audio in disbelief and concern, “Girl, you need to get hell out of there.”

 

Molly shrugs as she takes a slice of pizza first, then her phone before pocketing it.

 

“No, I’m serious,” Jerome continues, trying to meet her eyes, “Get the fuck out.”

 

“And go where?” Molly asks, “Fairmont? Clarksburg? Preston County?”

 

“If the principals and parents are less predatory, then sure,” Jerome says, “This shouldn’t be happening at any job. Look, I’m proud as fuck that you stood up to him. You know you’re my girl and I’m in your corner. I love that we still live close to each other. Outside of Rubina and my brother, there’s probably no one I love more. That being said, get out of that job. If that means leaving Morgantown or the whole damn state altogether, I’ll miss you but I’ll help you pack.”

 

Molly rolls her eyes, “You were supposed to hype me up, not tell me to get away from you.”

 

“Oh, shut up,” Jerome snorts, “You know that’s not what I’m saying. Hell, if you do leave, Rubina and I might follow you if you pick a cool enough city. Don’t get me wrong, I love this city. For West Virginia, it’s liberal. But...I don’t know, I get worried. No one suspects Rubina being trans but she’s so open about it that when word does get out...I don’t know, it might be better if we moved somewhere else too.”

 

“Whose ass do I have to kick?” Molly asks, leaning in, “I’m in a mood.”

 

“The confederate flag waving, gun loving racists across the street would be a good place to start,” Jerome tells her, amused, “They already hate that I’m black and Rubina is Indian. I’m sure if they figure out that Rubina isn’t CIS, then we’re going to have to at least move to a different street.”

 

“I hate those guys,” Molly says, frowning, “The last time I came over, they catcalled me and when they saw I was going to your house they called me...I’m not going to say it. I’m white. I’m not allowed, nor do I want to be. They basically acted disgusted and implied I was fucking you. They were sort of obsessed with the possibility.”

 

“Well, that hasn’t happened since when?” Jerome asks, “11th grade after prom? Don’t get me wrong, you were good, but it felt like I was fucking my sister the whole entire time. When I admitted to Rubina we had slept together once, she just looked at me and said, ‘That’s pretty incestuous, Jaanu.’ Wasn’t even jealous.”

 

“Neither was Hunter,” Molly answers, “I mentioned that I was glad you guys got along and he said, ‘Yeah, he’s a good guy. I’m glad I get along with him too. He’s like a brother to you, right?’ and I said, ‘Yeah, but I did sleep with him once in high school.’ and he just laughed and said, ‘How weird was that?’. Of course, he was jealous of Reverend Carney getting to spend so much time with me, but not of me spending time with one of the hottest best friends I could ask for.”

 

Jerome shakes his head, “...Yeah, don’t take this the wrong way, but I think he who must not be named has made you confuse jealousy and concern hardcore.”

 

“He has not-” Molly says but Jerome cuts her off.

 

“Even if he hasn’t, that’s definitely what Hunter was,” Jerome says, “Concerned. Because we were too. We love you. Not in the same way Hunter does, obviously, but more than enough to want you to feel safe both on and off the clock.”

 

“You have a way of bringing conversations back around to the original topic and it’s super annoying.”

 

“Being on the debate team in high school and college was incredibly useful,” Jerome agrees, then leans in, “Seriously, Molly. Get the fuck out of that job and go teach somewhere else. Or better, go back to school. Elsewhere. LA, maybe. Just a suggestion. You’ve been more depressed since Hunter left than I’ve seen you in over 4 years and it sounds like he hasn’t been much better.”

 

“I can’t move across the country-”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because my life is here? My dad is mentally ill, Justin just went through a bad breakup a month ago, Mason is going through stuff and has been calling me more and he’s on this coast, my grandfather has Alzheimer’s, my mom and Tucker-”

 

“It’s not like you see them a ton anyway,” Jerome argues, “Tucker, your mom, and your grandparents are in Connecticut. Justin is in New York. Mason is in New Hampshire. And yeah, you’ve been seeing your dad more now. That’s good. But he wants you to be happy too. If you’re that concerned, Hazel and I will check in on him. I’m sure Justin and Mason could too. Don’t feel like you can’t be with your guy because of your family. They want you to do what’s best for you and that sure as hell isn’t staying here.”

 

“...No,” Molly says and Jerome looks like he’s about to explode so Molly continues, “I would miss you and Hazel too much to move that far. And Samira and Rubina. It’s too soon to make a move like that anyway. And too expensive.”

 

“I bet Hunter would disagree with those last two points.”

 

“Yeah, he probably would,” Molly sighs, “But he’s a romantic. He needs to start thinking about himself and what’s best for his own happiness and not worry about me.”

 

Jerome sits back in his chair, studying Molly closely, “What is that supposed to mean?”

 

And Molly isn’t sure she can explain that without making Jerome more concerned or frustrated so she just doesn’t.

 

Talking to Jerome had both helped and hurt, so she doesn’t even know what to feel when she gets back home. All she can do is read her book until 10 pm, which will probably be around the time Hunter calls if today’s filming schedule goes as planned. Reading has always been an escape for her, so it might be able to get her mind off of things for a little bit. She ends up reading one of the books that JR suggested she read when they went on their bookstore adventure. Hate List by Jennifer Brown. She had heard of it, but never read it, even though it came out at a time where it was probably appropriate for her to read it.

 

It is fucked. up. For an 11 year old to read, at least.

 

She kind of has to wonder if Lindsey, Mel, Michael, and Ben know what their 11 year old daughter reads. She feels like Hunter might have an idea. He had mentioned that she reads books that were way too mature for her but seemed to understand all of them on a relatively deep level. It ends up sucking her in though. She’s immersed until 9 pm, when her phone rings. She picks it up, feeling happy that Hunter is getting off early for once, until she sees the number. Random California number.

 

And by now, you’d think she would realize not to answer any number that isn’t in her contacts. But there’s a voice in the back of her head telling her, ‘What if Hunter’s phone was destroyed in an accident? What if he’s calling her from a hospital to let her know something is wrong?’

 

“Hello?” Molly says, her brow already furrowed. There is a pause on the line that makes her start to feel sick with each second that passes.

 

“So you’ll answer for a California number, but not a Pittsburgh number?” Seth spits out, “Why is that, Molly? You fucking bitch! You wouldn’t answer the last time I called but you’ll answer now? Fuck you.”

 

Her thumb hovers over the screen to end the call, but Seth’s words from back in March echo in her head, the threat of rape and murder looming like a dark cloud right in the middle of her suddenly too quiet living room. As much as she tries not to be afraid of Seth anymore, she suddenly can’t keep that up tonight.

 

“I have a few friends out there,” Molly says instead, trying to sound more nonchalant than she feels, “One changes her number a lot. She has an ex who keeps calling her. It’s a real pain for her. Strangely, I can relate.”

 

Seth huffs, “Well, maybe she should hear him out. Give him another chance.”

 

“She wants to move on,” Molly says, “And she hopes that her ex does too. She really does. She doesn’t want him to be unhappy, despite the things he has done to her. She just wants things to stay in the past so they can both live good and very separate lives.”

 

And she means it, even when talking about some imaginary friend. If Seth being happy with someone else means he will forever leave Molly alone, then she would take it. She hates even thinking about it - another woman at risk of being abused by Seth - but she’s tired. She’s so fucking tired.

 

“Well, that wouldn’t make me happy, Molly,” Seth says darkly, “Don’t think I don’t know what you’re doing. You aren’t going to escape me. You never will.”

 

The line clicks, only for the calls to come through again and again and again. When Hunter texts her at 10 pm and asks if she wants to FaceTime, she tells him that she feels gross from sharing a large pizza with Jerome and asks if they can just talk on the phone and save the FaceTiming for tomorrow. When she calls him, the calls still keep coming through. It makes it hard for Molly to concentrate and it must affect the quality of the call because Hunter asks, “Hey, is there something up with your service? You’re cutting in and out occasionally.”

 

“I don’t know, maybe,” Molly lies.

 

“Is everything okay?” Hunter asks, sounding suspicious.

 

And Molly knows it isn’t. She knows she isn’t when her eyes fill with tears and she forces herself to not let out a sound because she doesn’t need Hunter flying out here just because she has another breakdown or feeling guilty and stressed out he can’t because of his job.

 

He deserves so much better. He deserves more than someone who has a psychotic ex calling her all throughout their conversation.

 

“How is everyone on set?” she asks instead.

 

It takes Hunter a second to answer, “They’re...I mean, it’s all good. Pretty drama free shoot, despite it being a fucked up movie.”

 

“That’s good. I’m glad that it’s drama free,” Molly says, feeling a bit more resolved in her decision now.

 

“Yeah, it’s usually a good thing,” Hunter agrees, “So what’s up with you-”

 

“I think we should see other people,” Molly blurts out before she can overthink it.

 

If it weren’t for the insistent beeps of Seth’s calls, Hunter’s silence would be deafening.

 

“...What?” Hunter chokes out and it makes Molly feel like shit, “Molly, what do you mean? I...No. Let’s talk about this, please.”

 

“I didn’t…” Molly starts, “I didn’t mean break up. I still want to talk to you and see you. I still want to come out in a couple of weeks. I think it might kill me if-”

 

“Then why would you suggest that?!” Hunter stresses, his voice rising.

 

“You...Hunter, you’re across the country. We probably won’t even get to see each other in the fall since the show is starting back up and with my job.”

 

“...I’ve been thinking about leaving the show,” Hunter says hesitantly, “It’s a big commitment, time-wise, with my family all being in Toronto and you were right. I took it to lay a little bit lower and get my mom off my back. You’re making a good point with the fall being busy for the both of us, which is all the more reason for me to leave. I’m putting out feelers for some TV positions higher up.”

 

“I don’t want you to leave a steady and consistent gig because of me. And it isn’t only about that anyway. You live in a state filled with beautiful and talented women. I can’t fucking compete with that,” Molly says, losing tact as she continues to talk over Hunter’s denials, “Hell, I saw women flirt with you when I was there. And you ignored them for me.”

 

“Gee, I wonder why,” Hunter says sarcastically, sounding like he’s in pain - anything but humored, “Maybe because I’m in love with you and not them?”

 

“You might meet someone out there though. A woman who is absolutely amazing and deserves you and you’re just going to let her pass for me?” Molly says, trying not to sniffle but failing, “You shouldn’t let opportunities pass you by for someone like me.”

 

“Someone like you?” Hunter says incredulously, “Someone incredible and smart and beautiful? Someone who’s great with kids, stands up for what she believes in, speaks four languages, knows how to make her own makeup, is fantastic in bed, and is unashamedly a total nerd?”

 

“That is a really random list of my good qualities,” Molly says, suddenly feeling concerned for Hunter’s train of thought.

 

“Yeah, well you gave me a list in Niagara. Figured I would return the favor,” Hunter says, then starts to sound emotional again, “Even when you are trying to rip my heart out of my chest.”

 

“I’m not trying to rip your heart out of your chest,” Molly says, mumbling, “That’s the last thing I want to do. I just think it would be for the best. In case you find someone out there you like better. Someone who is better suited or more accessible.”

 

“Well, I fucking won’t,” Hunter says harshly, “And I don’t plan to.”

 

“But you might,” Molly says into the beeping phone, “And I don’t want to hold you back.”

 

“Jesus Christ, you aren’t holding me back!” Hunter says, sounding frustrated beyond belief, “Why are you doing this? Have you met someone? Is that why you’re doing...fuck, whatever you’re doing right now?”

 

“No,” Molly sighs, “No, I haven’t. I don’t plan on meeting anyone either.”

 

“Is it your job? Are you finally fucking exhausted from the hours that your boss and that reverend forced on you? Are you delirious and that’s why you’re talking like this?” Hunter guesses again.

 

“...I stopped working for him,” Molly says in hesitation, “Something happened on Friday. He showed up at my apartment and I didn’t appreciate it. It pissed him off so my services are no longer needed.”

 

“Woah, woah wait,” Hunter says, “What are you talking about and why are you just mentioning this now?”

 

“I don’t know,” Molly sighs, suddenly wishing she had just lied instead of being truthful but vague, “Like I said, I don’t want you to say no to anyone you might be interested in because of me. I’m not breaking up with you - I’m sorry that I made it sound that way. I just want you to keep your options open. I want you to have fun and not feel like you have to come home early every night just to talk to me. I don’t want you to say no to someone just because I exist.”

 

“Fuck that,” Hunter dismisses, “What happened on Friday?”

 

“Nothing, Hunter!” Molly snaps, “I’m tired, alright? It’s still early in California. Go out and have fun with Kate and Jennifer or go out with one of the girls from the crew.”

 

“You aren’t going to force me to go out on a date with someone I don’t give a shit about!” Hunter snaps back, “You don’t get to tell me to sleep with other people either! If this is something you want to do, then fine, but don’t pretend you are doing me a fucking favor!”

 

“Fine!” Molly says and that’s all she can say. She doesn’t know how else to soothe Hunter’s hurt and make him realize this is for the best. In a moment of her own agony and frustration, she just decides to hang up instead.

 

“Fuck!” Molly chokes out, letting the vibrating phone drop to the floor as she puts her face in her hands.

 

Hunter calls back twice within the next 24 hours but Molly doesn’t answer. It’s kind of hard to even consider talking to him when her phone doesn’t stop ringing for the next two days. It scares her because she can’t remember the last time Seth did one of his call marathons for more than a handful of hours. She ends up letting it die until charging it by her desk on Thursday morning before her flight to New York.

-------------------------------------------------

Focusing on Justin’s drama with Nathan helps keep Molly’s mind off of Hunter and her own drama back home. She is able to read the letter and give her opinion, feel concern for Nathan when Justin tells her he can’t express what had happened to the guy to make him so damaged. Molly knows some, probably more than Justin thinks she does. She and Nathan had gone out drinking once, after Nathan had met their mom for the first time. Nathan drank a little too much and had confided in Molly that his own mother killed herself on Christmas when he was eight and he’s really glad that Justin still has his mom, before pleading with her not to say anything to anyone.

 

She hadn’t. She never even told Justin that she knew about Nathan’s mom. She never told Justin the little she had guessed regarding Nathan’s dad. She just lets him think she’s clueless because she doesn’t want to see her brother more upset than he already is.

 

Although getting him upset might keep him more focused on himself. Usually it isn’t too much of a problem to get Justin to focus on himself. The dude can be kind of self-absorbed. He’s gotten a lot better with age but oftentimes Molly doesn’t have to worry about Justin asking about Molly’s problems. The only time that had truly been a thing had been when Justin obsessed on her safety and well-being regarding Seth. It’s partly why she never tells Justin anything about Seth anymore.

 

“How are you and Hunter?”

 

She isn’t even expecting the question, not with Justin’s torment regarding Nathan. She probably looks like a deer caught in headlights.

 

“Fine,” is all she tells him as she looks away to stare at the floor.

 

“Fine,” Justin echos dubiously, “But you were so upset at the airport. You both are talking still, right?”

 

“Yes, Justin. We’re still talking,” Molly confirms as she stands up.

 

“That doesn’t give me much information,” Justin mutters from the couch.

 

“It is what it is, Justin,” Molly sighs, “We still talk through Skype and on the phone at least a few times a week and text everyday. But I’m in Morgantown and he’s in Los Angeles. That’s how it will be for the foreseeable future.”

 

She knows how she sounds. Bitter. Sad. She might even sound like a liar. Because the truth is, she hasn’t talked to Hunter since Monday, not since she broke his heart and pissed him off. Not since Seth essentially kept her from having one conversation with anyone over the phone in peace.

 

“Maybe you can go visit him? I can give you the money for a ticket if finances are an issue.”

 

Why does everyone think they need to give her money? Is she that much of a fucking failure? Or does she just feel like one with a well-off...whatever Hunter currently is, a well-off father, and a millionaire brother?

 

“He’s busy with the movie he's working on,” Molly answers, “He has weekends off but works 12 to 16 hour days more often than not. He wraps in July and starts the show again in mid-August. He's talking about leaving the show and finding a different gig but it isn't like there are any jobs in his field in West Virginia."

 

“Then what about medical school?” Justin continues, “I know you think that it’s too late but it really isn’t. Why don’t you apply for different schools in California and New York then go from there? Hunter should be able to get a job in either place-”

 

“Why are you pushing this all of the sudden?” Molly suddenly snaps, because she’s sick of this shit, “You don’t even like the fact that I was fucking around with Hunter-”

 

“Yeah, and I still don’t want to hear about it,” Justin tells her pointedly.

 

Molly shakes her head, “It’s none of your business anyway.”

 

Molly goes over to sit in the chair on the other side of the room. If she looks like she’s sulking, then so be it. Justin can deal.

 

“Are you guys fighting or something?” Justin asks her carefully.

 

“No. I don’t know,” Molly tells him, rubbing her eyes, “He’s upset.”

 

“About what?”

 

“I told him we should see other people. Thought it would be for the best.”

 

Justin’s eyes widen, “So you broke up with him? I thought you said you guys were still talking.”

 

“We are. Or at least we were. And I didn’t break up with him. I just thought it would be better to keep things open in case he met someone else out there. I didn't mean to, but I really upset him with the offer. But his job is unpredictable and my future is unpredictable so I think it’s for the best.”

 

Justin stares at her for a few seconds before clearing his throat, “I still think you should apply to med school. I think you would be happier and would feel like you have more control over your future.”

 

Molly shrugs, “Med school won’t happen for at least another year, if it happens. I need to look into scholarships, grant money, save up-”

 

“I’ll give you money for it. Or loan it, if you don't want to keep it,” Justin promises her.

 

“No. I’m not taking your money.”

 

Justin rolls his eyes and Molly has to force herself not to yell at him.

 

“You could ask Dad,” he suggests finally, “He’s never been low on money.”

 

“He pushed for the teaching route too,” Molly says bitterly, “More appropriate for a woman who has to start a family.”

 

Justin’s gaze softens a little, “Molly, I think he’s changed a lot. Realizes he can’t force goals on his kids. He’s accepted my life now, from the looks of it. I’m sure if he found out that you are unhappy he would be willing to help you out.”

 

Molly lets out a sigh, “I don’t know, Justin. I’ll admit that he’s changed. But he’s still not doing all that well. He’s...he’s sick. Not physically but you know what I mean. I’m not going to take advantage of him wanting to please us to get on our good sides. Besides, it might be for the best if I do stay where I’m at or even go back to Pittsburgh due to how he is right now. He doesn’t have anyone. He lives by himself, doesn’t have a girlfriend. When Madison divorced him, she decided to stay gone. Mason cares but he is in New Hampshire and rarely goes back to Pittsburgh to visit. Uncle Martin lives in North Dakota and he and Dad have never been that close anyway. I’m the one who has been staying there at least a few hours almost every weekend and driving up during the week to make sure he’s still going to his appointments and taking his meds. I’d like to think he is responsible enough to take care of himself. Usually, he is. But he backslides easily and goes into a depression. He’ll act almost manic where he can’t sleep and he can’t stop moving around the house. He’s better than when you saw him last but it seems to be a long process. I’m not sure if it would be a good idea for him to be left completely alone.”

 

Justin looks guilty and Molly has to wonder why until her brother speaks again.

 

“You can’t put your life on hold for him,” Justin insists, “And it shouldn’t only be on you to look after him while he gets more stable. If you end up going somewhere farther away for school then I’ll check on him a couple of times a month.”

 

Molly just shrugs, “We’ll talk about it later, alright? All this angst is getting annoying. I don’t want to talk about our parents, especially when we’ll be having to deal with them tomorrow. Both of them. And Tucker.”

 

And it’s true. The angst is getting annoying. Justin seems to take a hint and the conversations at dinner are much lighter, consisting of their parents’ upcoming reunion and their father’s past suicide attempt.

--------------------------------------------------------

It’s 3 am when her phone rings.

 

It wakes Molly up out of a dead sleep and she’s fumbling around, thinking it’s her alarm, but it isn’t. Hunter’s name lights up the screen and she’s not even sure if she should answer it, even if it actually does end up being Hunter.

 

But if it is actually Hunter, it is sort of out of character for him to call her this late. He forgets the time difference occasionally, but those times have been so rare that she knows this isn’t normal for him.

 

“Hello?” she answers tiredly, trying not to sound too exhausted or off-putting.

 

The line is silent for several seconds and for some reason, Molly doesn’t prompt for a response. She needs the time to gather her thoughts as well.

 

“...Didchu mean it? When you sai’ you were in love wit’me?”

 

Hunter’s words are slurred and Molly has never heard or seen him more than buzzed in her life, let alone this drunk. It fucking worries her. She’s worried it will fuck with his meds. She’s even more worried about where his head is at.

 

“Or were you lyin?” Hunter sniffles, “Or just sayin it to say it but nont meanin it?”

 

Molly feels her face scrunch up as she lets out an unwanted, tearful gasp, “...I meant it. I meant every word.”

 

“Then I don’t understand,” Hunter whispers, his voice strangled, before he lets out a sob, “I miss you so fucking much and you won even talk to me...”

 

“I’m talking to you,” Molly says as Hunter continues to cry, “I’m talking to you right now. How much have you had to drink?”

 

It takes a minute for Hunter to even get himself under control enough to get out a half-assed answer of, “...It doesn’ matter.”

 

“Yes, it does,” Molly says soothingly, “Babe, you know you can’t drink like this. You’re not supposed to drink like this. You have to be more careful because of your meds. I need you to be more careful.”

 

“I don’t care,” Hunter says, his breaths uneven.

 

“Yes, you do,” Molly tells him, “I know you do. You’re literally the healthiest person I know and I want you to stay that way.”

 

“Then I…” Hunter starts before letting out a whimper, “I’m allo- this. I can have one nigh where I’m a drunken asshole. One nigh won’ hurt. Me bein’ drunk doesn’t hurt. This fucking hurts. You fucking hurt.”

 

It’s Molly’s turn to cry then.

 

“Fuck, Molly. I’m sorry. I’m sorry, okay?” Hunter says, his voice pleading, “I’m just...fuck, you won’t understand. You understand everything else but...You’re the only one. The only one who knew all of my shit years before we got together and you didn’t judge me for it. I never had that before, not even with Hannah and she was a good person but not even with her. And now you’re sayin you wan me to find someone else and I’m not going to find someone as good as you. Not ever. I don’t want to find anyone else. I can’t keep explaining things again and again and again to new women and worry whether or not they’ll leave because of it. I can’t fuck around and sleep with random people either. Telling hookups I’m positive is exhausting. Hooking up is fucking exhausting and it’s nothing compared to being with you. I don’t want a new girlfriend or a fuck buddy. Not when I want you. Not when I’m in love with you.”

 

Molly wipes at her face, “You...I’m not trying to force you to get with anyone, okay? I’m not. I love you. I mean that. I love you so much more than any guy I’ve ever been with. It terrifies me.”

 

“I love you too. I love you so much,” Hunter says, sounding fucking wrecked, and Molly hates that she’s doing this to him. Maybe she can be more honest now that he’s drunk. Maybe only a part of him will remember it. She’s never dealt with a drunk Hunter. She doesn’t know how to go about any of this.

 

“You deserve so much better than me,” Molly rasps out, “You deserve a girl who isn’t stalked by an ex that can ruin both of our lives and you deserve someone who makes more money or doesn’t mind that you spend yours on her. You deserve someone who doesn’t work under a horrible boss and stay there because she’s afraid to leave. Me saying that our relationship should be open wasn’t about me. I know I’m not going to find better. You can. You may think you can’t but you can. I’m fucking nothing compared to what you deserve-”

 

“Stop it!” Hunter interrupts, sounding more alert but also more pained, “Please, just stop. I can’t hear you talk about yourself that way. It kills me to hear that stuff. I’m fucking freaking out now because this isn’t you. This isn’t fucking you. What’s going on? What happened? Something happened.”

 

“I...uh,” Molly starts, then tries to downplay it to calm Hunter down, “I’m just stressed. It’s a lot of stuff. I really miss you. That’s the biggest thing. The last week has been pretty hard. My job has a shit ton of drama right now. I don’t want to get into it.”

 

“You can’t...Molly, I need you to stop keeping everything to yourself,” Hunter says, his voice straining, “It’s fucking with your head. You’re not hearing the way you are sounding. I can hear it and I’m seeing two of everythin’, but you aren’t hearing yourself. You sound depressed and it’s li’ any self-’steem you had has just laid down and died and something huge had to have happened to get you like this. Talk to me. Please.”

 

“Fuck, Hunter,” Molly groans, “It’s almost 3:30 in the morning. I don’t want to get into my shit right now.”

 

“You’re fucking scaring me. You can’t just shut down the conversation when you’re talking like that about yourself,” Hunter tells her urgently.

 

“I’m okay,” Molly says softly, hoping he’ll calm down, “I meant it when I said that you deserve better, but I am okay. I’m not going to do anything stupid. I talked to Hazel and Jerome about this past week anyway. I’ll be fine. I love you. I know what I said on Monday, but I really do love you. Get some sleep, okay? Look, I’ll be busy tomorrow and Saturday but I’ll text you both days and then call you as soon as I’m back home on Sunday.”

 

She’s expecting for Hunter to argue. She’s preparing for it. But for some reason, he doesn’t. He just lets out a sad sigh of defeat.

 

“Sunday?”

 

“Sunday.”

 

“...Okay,” Hunter says, resigned, “I’m sorry I called you like this.”

 

“I’m sorry that I made you feel like you had to drink like this. Get some sleep,” Molly answers, "I love you, okay?”

 

It feels like she's said it at least twenty times tonight, but in case Hunter can't get it through his drunken brain that she really does love him, that loving him never stopped despite what she suggested, she'll say it again.

 

“Love you too.”

 

When Molly hangs up the phone, she lets herself be much more emotional. Briefly, she thinks about waking up Justin. Telling him at least some of what’s going on. But she doesn’t want to bother him with her shit either.

---------------------------------------------------------

She keeps her promise and calls Hunter on Sunday. The conversation is less upsetting than the last two had been, which is good, but she can tell Hunter is still on edge. When he quietly asks her if she’s still coming on the 9th, she confirms that she is and that her dad offered to pick her up from work to take her to the airport. Apparently Craig Taylor is just as pro Hunter as Hazel and Jerome are, which is nice. Weird, but nice.

 

Her mother is a little more on the fence, worried that the distance is hurting Molly. She’s not wrong. On Saturday night, she went to her mom’s and Tucker’s hotel room to try to put their minds at ease. It hadn’t exactly worked. They both can read her like a book and could tell something was wrong. On top of that, Tucker is protective as hell and she’s sure the HIV thing doesn’t help, even though it was barely brought up, except through the question, “And...Sweetie, you’re being safe, right?” from her mother.

 

If she had been in a better mood, she might have tortured them with estimating the number of condoms they have gone through. But all she told them was that they are taking multiple precautions and Hunter’s viral load is undetectable anyway. And it's not a lie. She's on PrEP at Hunter's insistence, they've used condoms every time they've had sex, and even though it doesn't do shit for HIV prevention, she has been on Seasonique since Lybrel was discontinued. The possibility of an accidental grandchild for Jennifer Taylor is almost as low as Molly contracting HIV.

 

All of the preventions seem to put her mother’s mind at ease on that front, almost as much at ease as Molly is with it. Her mom is probably more at ease with it than Hunter is. Then again, Hunter is overly health focused. On top of worrying about the possibility of passing HIV onto her - which can't happen with his current numbers even without protection - he worries about other shit like Seasonique's side effects but she fucking hates periods and hasn't had any issues with it so far so meh.

 

Tucker is a bit harder, but she gets it even if she’s annoyed by it. He had dealt with most of the caretaking when Seth attacked her and he’s never quite been the same regarding any relationships or flings Molly has had since.

 

It had been a stressful weekend, to say the least. Productive, but filled with stress inducing conversations. So having a better conversation with Hunter after the one she had on early Friday morning is helping. The fact that Skinner doesn’t call her back to his office with a better draft of a write up helps too.

 

After her last day - at least at the main school until the fall - she returns home and lets out a breath as soon as she gets into the parking lot before heading up to her apartment. On her way up, she smiles at Gabriel and promises to take him swimming again soon, moves to the side as Kaya’s kids dash down the hall, and goes to her door to unlock it. Things feel completely normal until she looks to find that her foyer table is as good as new. It actually is new. It's a completely different - and probably much more expensive - table. She threw the broken one out last week. Who the fuck came into her apartment and gave her a new foyer table-

 

“I called Hazel and Jerome. They told me about last week,” Hunter says, coming into the foyer to glance at the table and then the small dent in the wall across from it, “I really wish you would have told me about what happened. With Reverend Fuckwad. With your boss. And I’m guessing Seth - that’s why no one could get a hold of you for a couple of days last week?”

 

After Molly gets past the fact that Hunter is here - fucking here - she can’t keep shit from him. She can’t keep pretending that everything is fine and all that happened didn’t happen because he’s right in front of her and she wasn’t even expecting this so how can she prepare-

 

“I just had a really bad week last week,” Molly chokes out and Hunter’s arms are immediately around her, pulling her in, his left hand on the back of her head to lead it down towards his shoulder as he strokes her hair and her face.

 

“I wish you would have told me,” Hunter says quietly, “I hate that all of that shit happened to you and I didn’t even know. I felt like something was wrong but I didn’t want to push you even harder to talk when I probably should have. I’m sorry I wasn’t here. I’m so sorry.”

 

“It’s not your fault,” Molly says, sniffling, “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you. I didn’t want to stress you out. I still don’t and I keep doing it.”

 

“Shhh,” Hunter says, rubbing her back, “Just relax. Let me take care of you, okay? Please?”

 

And despite it being in her nature down to her very core to take care of things herself, to not rely on people or burden them, she finds herself nodding and letting Hunter take over.

 

He picks her up - a little over the top since Molly can walk. She doesn’t have it in her to argue that point though, other than mumbling, 'Do you have a kink for this or something?' as she tightens her hold around Hunter's shoulders. Other than that, she just buries her face into the crook of his neck as he carries her through the living room and into the bedroom. He gently lays her down on the bed, leaning down to wipe her eyes, before removing her shoes and joining her on the bed to stroke her hair and press soft kisses against her forehead, nose, and face, as if she’s worth as much to him as she had been before she broke his heart.

 

“Get some rest if you have to,” Hunter says, “But we need to seriously talk about whatever happened last week, Molly. About what happened here with that hypocritical, assaultive, creepy-”

 

“How long have you been sitting here thinking of adjectives for him?” Molly has to ask and Hunter shrugs.

 

“I ended up calling Hazel and Jerome yesterday evening after I called you,” Hunter says, “They both hesitated, but I got them to give me the rundown after I told them you were trying to do whatever the fuck you have been trying to do because you thought I ‘deserved better’ or whatever insane shit you said-”

 

“I wondered why Hazel was sending me inspirational quotes yesterday. Jerome and Rubina both asked me to come over and spend the night. They were all super weird,” Molly mutters, “Snitches.”

 

“Some get stitches, but they have my eternal gratitude,” Hunter says, “Hazel mentioned she sent you the video of the night that...that fucker-”

 

“Reverend Matthew Carney,” Molly interjects and Hunter glares.

 

“He doesn’t deserve a name,” Hunter seethes, “Anyway, Hazel said that she recorded it in case something really serious happened or any threats continued to be made. Jerome said you recorded Skinner. I would like to hear and watch both. Hazel wouldn’t send her video to me. She said I had to ask you.”

 

“You’ll just get upset,” Molly says.

 

“Yeah, probably,” Hunter says, “I promise not to force you out of bed to go to the police station this time though.”

 

Molly nods, just trying to focus on Hunter’s fingers running through her hair, before saying, "How are you here?”

 

“Most of the cast and crew woke up with food poisoning yesterday morning,” Hunter says, “They went out to eat after finishing up on Wednesday and apparently pretty much everyone who went to that particular restaurant that week got sick.”

 

“Why didn’t you get sick?”

 

Hunter looks at her, “I wasn’t in the mood to go, Molly. I was pretty fucking down. Guess I should be thanking you though. If you hadn’t gotten me all fucked up, I wouldn’t be here. I would be bent over a toilet or projectile vomiting like Jennifer did when we tried to shoot yesterday morning.”

 

“...You’re welcome,” Molly says softly as she reaches up to stroke Hunter’s cheek, “And poor JLaw. You should have stayed to check on her.”

 

Hunter glares, “I am going to make myself clear one last time: I’m not going to pursue JLaw or Kate or even Javier Bardem-”

 

“But you’ve heard how he sounds when he talks -”

 

“Shhh, let me talk,” Hunter says, pressing a finger to her lips, “If it will make you feel better to leave things technically open, should one of us meet someone else while we’re away from each other, then fine. But I’m not dating anyone, even JLaw. She’s nice but I’m not giving you that kind of satisfaction. Besides, like I said, if anyone can make projectile vomiting hot, it’s you. Not her.”

 

Molly nods, looking away from Hunter as she forces herself to say, “It would make me feel better.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because it would.”

 

“That’s a shitty explanation and you know it.”

 

Molly looks back at him, meeting his eyes, which have some pain in them still, but also love, “I meant what I said. I don’t want it to be open for my benefit -”

 

“I don’t either.”

 

“I just…” Molly continues, trying to find the right words, “I just want it to be open for you. I want you to have options. Even if it is just a hookup, I don’t want you to feel like you are cheating. Just be honest, I guess. Tell me if it does happen or if you want to pursue things with someone else. I would understand. I’m here and you’re there. I know that when you left to go back, I was in pain. I haven’t hurt that badly in years.”

 

“Yeah…” Hunter says softly, then clears his throat, “I was in a pretty bad place too.”

 

“I know,” Molly says, “Quinn texted me. And...I don’t know, all I could think when he told me how you were doing was that I wasn’t worth that. That you didn’t need to go through that kind of pain. You could have close to anyone you want. Even if it is some temporary relief like a one night stand, I want you to have it if it will make you less upset and stressed when I’m not there.”

 

“You act like another woman is some kind of replacement for you,” Hunter says, frowning, “...You have to know by now that you are irreplaceable to me. Whether you believe it or not, no one compares.”

 

“That’s a bit of an exaggeration-”

 

“It’s not,” Hunter objects, “I know it sounds like one, but I promise you. It really isn’t.”

 

Molly stays quiet for a moment, letting Hunter’s words plant themselves in her brain before admitting, “No one compares to you either.”

 

Hunter snorts “Now that’s an exaggeration.”

 

“No,” Molly counters, “I have never been treated with more care and love and respect. You are literally the best lay on this planet. Even if I would go and sleep with someone else, I’ll probably just lie there, super bored. That’s another thing. It seems selfish of me to have ownership of your dick when I’m so far away, keeping other women from experiencing sleeping with you. Women helping other women, you know? Hence why keeping the relationship open is for the best. There. That’s the best answer I can come up with.”

 

Hunter shakes his head, bewildered, “You think that you aren’t the best person I’ve ever slept with? Because you are by far. I probably won’t be able to get it up for anyone else. Pretty sure I only can for you at this point. I’m okay with that.”

 

“Well, that’s fine. But in case you do find yourself with a raging hard-on and a willing woman, I don’t want you to keep yourself from that,” Molly says stubbornly.

 

“This conversation is circling,” Hunter sighs, “Fine, Molly. We’ll be in a totally open relationship but turn down everyone who propositions us because we don’t actually want to be in an open relationship. It’ll confuse everyone, even ourselves. It’ll be great.”

 

“Somehow, I think you are being sarcastic,” Molly says, “But as long as you agree and know that I accept the possibility of you hooking up with or dating another woman, then your definition of our current relationship status is okay.”

 

“Can I watch the videos now?” Hunter says, looking resigned but almost relieved the conversation is over.

 

“...I guess,” Molly says, “My phone is in my purse. On the foyer table you needlessly bought for me. It isn't a necessary piece of furniture, it just looked pretty. You didn't have to buy a prettier one for me. Pointless purchase."

 

Hunter gets up to walk out of the room before he calls out, "No, it wasn't. You put your purse down there today. Your keys are pretty much always on it. This one is a lot heavier and sturdier too. It took me and Jerome just to get it up here. I may have gone overboard by making sure to get one made out of stone, solid wood, and thick glass. But if anyone even tries to throw it, they'll look fucking stupid."

 

"You're acting like people coming into my apartment to throw my foyer table is a common occurrence and it's not!" Molly calls back.

 

Hunter returns to the bedroom and throws himself into the bed, "It's happened more to you than it has to me."

 

Hunter digs her phone out of her purse and tosses her the phone to unlock. Molly looks at it for a second.

 

"I really don't know if you want to watch this. I don't know how much Hazel told you."

 

"Enough," Hunter mutters.

 

"Like what?" Molly asks.

 

"That he said he'd leave his wife and kids if you would be with him, you turned him down and said you are in love with someone else and it's never going to happen, so he got pissed and threw the table against the wall, talked to you horribly, and called you the Antichrist. Then Hazel started bragging about being friends with the Antichrist because as upset as she was about what happened, that seemed to amuse her. Doesn't fucking amuse me."

 

Huh. Hazel had left out that Matthew had forcibly kissed her and yanked her back a second time after she pushed him away. Hunter might think he's prepared but he's probably going to flip. This is great. Wonderful. Hazel probably thought she was respecting her by not telling Hunter the worst of it, but Molly kind of wishes she just would have told him everything.

 

"Yeah, okay," Molly starts, letting out a sigh, "You're not going to be happy watching this. Hazel probably wanted to respect me and my right to keep the worst of it to myself but this video starts out with him doing something that is really going to piss you off and you probably don't want to see the beginning of it. I particularly don't want to tell you, but I don't want you to go burn down a church or whatever because it takes you by surprise so spoiler alert: He forces a kiss on me in this video. I shove him back, but you should probably know in case you don't want to see that."

 

Hunter stares at her for a moment, the only sign that he is truly pissed is the shaky exhale coming from his nostrils, "...Just give me the phone, Molly. I will fucking deal and save the arson for later. Or cut the breaks to his fucking car while his kids are away at Bible Camp."

 

Molly actually has to laugh at that, "I'm glad you are making sure his kids survive."

 

"I'm not a monster," Hunter mutters, "He's the fucking monster. Now, please. The video."

 

Watching Hunter watch the video is too daunting so she ends up burrowing her face into his side and throws her arm around his waist while he sits there, only wincing a little as she hears him watch the video again.

 

And again.

 

"Are you trying to torture yourself?" Molly asks, finally lifting her head up, "Seriously, move on. I have. Mostly."

 

"You should have called me right after it happened," Hunter grits out, putting the phone down to pull at his hair in distress.

 

"You were working," she reminds him.

 

"I would have picked up or called you right back if it was mid-scene," Hunter tells her, "Seriously, personal emergencies happen, even with people in my field. I can at the very least step away and talk to you or get my ass here if you need me."

 

"I'm not going to let you do that," Molly says, "This is an important shoot for you. I'm not going to fuck it up for you."

 

Hunter glances at her and shakes his head sadly, "You're more important. My girlfriend being fucking assaulted is so much more important. I need you to understand that. I need you to understand how I feel about shit like that and where I am coming from."

 

Molly bites her lip and sits up enough to press her lips against Hunter's shoulder, "It wasn't that serious. Not compared to what you've been through or even what I've been through. I'm okay. I'm sorry you're so upset but I am fine, alright?"

 

"It was fucking serious," Hunter mutters, moving his arms absent-mindedly so that Molly can climb into his lap and press kisses against his jaw and neck, "Are you trying to seduce me into not watching the second video?"

 

"It's mainly audio," Molly says in between kisses, "And while I am proud of that moment, it might piss you off more than the first one, so maybe."

 

Hunter lets out a sigh and rubs his hands down Molly's sides before bending her head gently to get her to look down at him.

 

"You haven't even kissed me once since you got here," Molly says, although she's been trying not to dwell on it, "On the lips anyway. I didn't know if it was because you were upset with the whole open relationship proposal, everything you've heard about that week, or if you don't want to kiss me after watching that-"

 

Hunter's bringing her face down to press his lips against hers before she can finish her sentence. The kiss starts off as soft, tender, and sweet, then grows more insistent, as if Hunter is trying to make a point.

 

"I always want to kiss you," Hunter mumbles against her lips, "Don't think otherwise."

 

Molly pulls off his shirt and runs her hands down his chest before meeting his lips again. It's more urgent this time. So urgent that their clothes are off, only with two confirmations prompted by Hunter to make sure she's okay enough - Molly assumes headspace wise - to do this.

 

And she is. For him, she's more than okay to get some. He might think she's exaggerating when she says he's the best lay on the planet, but she's not.

 

Their moments together tangled in her bed, as amazing and time consuming as they are, only serves as a break in between videos. Within minutes after they come down from their highs, Hunter is grabbing for the phone and Molly lets out a sigh.

 

"Alright, here," she says, unlocking it, "I'm going to go make dinner."

 

"I'll do it," Hunter says, already getting up to pull his boxer briefs on, "I said I was taking care of you tonight. Just take a nap or something."

 

"What, are you going to listen to my conversation with Skinner while you cook like it is one of your podcasts? That's weird, Hunter," Molly calls out but then collapses back onto the bed and just stares at the wall. Normally, she wouldn't be able to sleep knowing that Hunter is listening to her meeting from Monday morning. But the orgasms Hunter gives her can sometimes knock her out better than Benedryl can and within a few minutes, she's asleep.

-----------------------------

She wakes up to lips pressing against the crown of her head and a whisper telling her that dinner is ready. Yawning and stretching until she feels more awake, it takes her a second to even process that Hunter has now listened to her meeting with Skinner. By the time that she does, Hunter is already in the kitchen and all Molly can do is go in there as well to get a better gauge on things.

 

It isn't even brought up at first. They just eat the stir-fry and talk about the movie and the upcoming summer session. It seems that Hunter can only take so much of ignoring the subject she is trying to avoid because he is the one who brings it up first. But it isn't in a normal, level-headed, therapeutic way or even in a hot-headed 'I will fucking rip his guts out' kind of way. The way he does it catches her off guard.

 

"I think you should move in with me."

 

Molly pauses, the rice sitting on her fork before she lets it fall back onto the plate, "I'm sorry, what?"

 

Hunter doesn't break eye contact as he repeats himself, "I think you should move in with me."

 

Molly huffs and stirs the remaining food around, "I knew I shouldn't have taken that nap to leave you to your own devices."

 

Hunter purses his lips, "Molly, your boss wanted you to sleep with the guy who came into your apartment, kissed you without your consent, and committed property damage. I...Look, I'm not telling you what to do. I'm not trying to do that. But you need to get out of there. If any of my friends were in the same position, girl or guy, I would tell them to leave too. I know you care about the kids and I am so fucking proud you stood up for yourself and put him in his place, but he's going to be out to get you for any reason he can find or make up. The fact that what he did is sexual harassment in the workplace is just another reason you need to leave. I would encourage you to report him and fight for him to get fired but you said yourself that his brother is the superintendent. I want you safe. I want you with me. If you come out to LA, you can apply to med schools there or get certified to teach in California. I don't care which or how much either cost. I'll just be happy you're with me. And I feel like you'll be happy too?"

 

Molly looks away, "Yeah. Yeah, I would be happy to be with you. It's probably too soon, but living with you would make me really happy."

 

The relief on Hunter's face hurts, "Good, that's good. So how do you-"

 

"But I can't," Molly interrupts sadly, "Like I said, I have a lot of stuff going on with my family. I'm already far enough away as it is. I need to be able to get to my dad quickly if something happens."

 

"...Molly, Justin is just in New York. Mason is in New Hampshire. They are on this side of the country. I'm sure Hazel and Jerome would check on him. Your mom probably would too if you made it clear you were concerned."

 

"I also renewed my lease in January," Molly says, "So I am stuck here until then anyway and I don't want to break it and have that on my renter's record. I probably won't get the security deposit back with that stupid dent in the wall, but I'd like to at least try."

 

Hunter groans, "I'll fix the fucking dent. I will buy the drywall and paint over it in the morning."

 

"That's nice of you, but if I leave early, I won't get it back. The only way your labor would do any good would be if I stayed until January-"

 

"Fuck the security deposit!" Hunter says, "You will be fine. I will make sure you are fine."

 

"My family and friends are here."

 

"Not really! Not in Morgantown!"

 

"Jerome and Rubina are here," Molly mutters, "It's just...It's just too much to think about right now, okay? I honestly don't think I could emotionally handle moving so far away while a few of my family members are going through some serious stuff. As much as I want to physically be with you, you would have a mess on your hands as soon as I get out there because I would be constantly worrying about them."

 

Hunter seems to not have much argument left in him, but does seem to be mulling over something over.

 

"If I could manage to get a series gig in New York, would you consider moving there?"

 

Molly stares at him for a moment, "...I...Yeah, I would move there. It's expensive as fuck, but I would move there. I'd be closer to Justin, my mom, Tucker, and my grandparents. Mason too. I wouldn't be too far away from my dad. So yeah. But I don't expect you to pick up your life and move to New York either. You have a lot of friends in California. JLaw, for instance-"

 

"Molly," Hunter warns, sending her a glare, but at least it looks slightly amused, "And I'm pretty sure JLaw has a penthouse in New York anyway - if you are so concerned about my friendship with her, which is all that will ever transpire between us. Ever."

 

"Well, I think if you gave her a chance-"

 

"Plus, my dads are in Toronto," Hunter says pointedly, "And they're having a baby, which is still some huge secret, I guess. JR, Mel, Linds, Deb, and Carl are all there too. New York is a lot closer to Toronto than LA is. I have extended family in New York as well. Friends. You would be doing me a favor. I would just need to find work out there. I haven't shot that many projects on the east coast. Most of my shoots have been in California and Vancouver. But...I don't know, I will think of something."

 

Molly nods, "Well, don't turn any big projects down in LA, okay? Or women. I...I can keep this up. What we're doing."

 

Hunter sends her a sad smile, "I don't know if I can. I want to see you every day."

 

Molly doesn't know what to say to that so she just awkwardly changes the subject.

 

"How long are you here for? Are you flying with me on Tuesday?"

 

Hunter shakes his head, "No, I need to be at work Monday morning. I fly out Sunday afternoon."

 

So my only full day with you on this trip is tomorrow," Molly says, feeling more morose about that than she should.

 

Hunter studies her for a moment, then reaches over the table to take her hand, "It'll be a pretty awesome day."

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Please review!