- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Molly's brother shows up at the Taylor household. No, not that one.

Thursday morning, Hunter wakes up to the sun pouring into the bedroom and an empty space next to him. It only makes him feel a little disappointment. Up until now, he's either been awake or has woken up for Molly's departure. Usually, he's a light sleeper. Growing up, he had to be - hyper vigilance never did his sleep schedule any wonders, although it kept him alive. He never got close to a good night's rest until he felt comfortable with Michael and Ben. That mostly lasted from 16 to 20, right until he moved across the country and was completely and utterly alone. He had been proud and terrified and had nightmares for weeks. And although the success and newfound friends and the presence of one or two of his previous girlfriends had helped, he never slept through someone entering or leaving the bed he was sleeping in. It has happened twice with Molly now. Today and once when she was in LA and had woken up to make him breakfast.

 

It's interesting. Disappointing, since he loves kissing Molly goodbye, but interesting. It could be the mind blowing sex they had last night that knocked him out cold. But honestly? He feels like it isn't. Mind blowing sex with Molly has been extremely consistent every time they get the chance to partake.

 

Hunter looks at his phone and sees that it is 9:32. He's not used to sleeping in that late, even on his days off. That feels weird to him as well, even though his internal clock may still be at least partially on LA time, so it would be 6:32 there. He could sleep in later - make it so when he does eventually have to go back to LA, his sleeping patterns won't be completely fucked. But then again, his job makes him get up early anyway. It’s probably for the best that he gets on with his day.

 

The thought of going back to LA fills him with fucking dread. He loves LA. He loves the warm weather, the palm trees, his friends, his condo, and his cat. Things aren't perfect there since his parents and JR aren't in LA. But if Molly was there? It would be pretty fucking close. He's starting to want to be wherever Molly is and that's making him start to wonder how clingy that makes him. Last night, after she fell asleep in his arms (something he already knows he will never get tired of), his mind had started to wander before he started dreaming of her moving to LA. Then his imagination started to expand and he started dreaming of packing up himself and moving to West Virginia with her, maybe Pittsburgh if she could get her license to teach Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh had a little bit more going on. His career wouldn't completely die like it would in West Virginia. He could get some work - probably. He could deal with living in a city where he has to avoid a couple of streets in order to avoid flashbacks and nightmares. He would do that for her.

 

Molly Taylor is making Hunter so fucking stupid for her. He would feel more aggravated by it but he's too dumb to care that much.

 

Hunter gets up, takes his meds, then heads for the bathroom down the hall for a shower. He's not in there long but there's definitely a difference between the time he’s in there and the time he closes the bathroom door to go back into the hall. Craig may have been up then, but he hadn’t been talking to anyone. Now he is. It wouldn’t be weird if it was on the phone. Craig is a businessman and he has solely been working from home this past week, despite doing better than this past weekend. He had a phone conference yesterday in his office before Hunter took him to therapy. It had probably been for the best that it happened before. Craig had been quiet after therapy, then a little erratic. Hunter gave him a couple of hours and then got him to take a walk to burn off whatever nervous energy had been building up. By the time Molly got back at 5:30, Craig had been a lot calmer by that point, had quietly asked Hunter not to worry her, and seemed relatively normal after Molly got through the door. He had been able to have a decent - albeit short - conversation with the both of them.

 

Other than a couple of business calls and some conversations with Hunter, Molly, and Dr. Tessler, as far as Hunter knows, Craig has talked to no one else. But as Hunter comes down the steps, he not only hears Craig’s voice from the kitchen, but another man’s voice as well. He briefly thinks about making himself scarce, giving Craig privacy if it’s about business or something personal. However, his curiosity wins the best of him and he finds himself following the voices to the back of the house.

 

Both parties are sitting at the kitchen table. Craig is dressed casually in a pair of khakis and a navy blue sweater, the younger man is wearing a pair of jeans and a black t-shirt. He’s young, late teens or early twenties at most, and as soon as he’s aware that there is someone else in the room, he’s looking at Hunter as if he has six heads.

 

“Who the fuck are you?” the guy asks, immediately scrutinizing his presence before glancing at Craig in confusion.

 

“Who the fuck are you?” Hunter returns lightly, walking over towards the fridge to grab an orange.

 

The guy doesn’t answer him, but Hunter hears him quietly ask, “Dad, why is there some random guy in our house?”

 

Ah. Mason. Molly’s stepbrother. Hunter hadn’t been expecting to meet him...well, possibly ever. Molly’s tidbits regarding Mason have been vague and limited. It left Hunter sort of filling in the blanks with his own conclusions regarding the kid. He knows Molly had distanced herself from her dad’s side of the family when she went to college. She became resentful against her dad for what he did to Justin and Mason just sort of got grouped in when she stayed away. He also knows that although she rarely came to see her dad’s family from 18 until now, Mason visited her occasionally at WVU. He knows that a 16 year old Mason stayed with her for a few days in New York, and that while Mason had made it his duty to drive her up the wall since childhood, he had actually been a comfort that one trip due to her having such a batshit roommate, one so batshit that she moved in with Justin for the rest of the summer. He only knows about that because Hunter had also stayed with Justin that summer and although he had thought Molly was beautiful, he also had been acutely aware that Justin would kill him if he even attempted to make a move on her while they were all under the same roof. Molly ended up briefly dating one of the gaffers on his shoot and Hunter had only been slightly put off by it at the time.

 

Whatever.

 

Hunter also knows that while Molly had distanced herself from her dad’s family once she started college, Mason had distanced himself from just about everyone. From the sound of it, it doesn’t seem like it came from a place of bitterness or disdain for his family. For Mason, it seems like it came more from a place of being a newfound adult and wanting to take full advantage of his freedom. And Hunter knows that - despite Molly sort of doing the same thing to him - she has been hurt by the distance Mason put between them. She’s never said as much, but Hunter knew. He could hear the sadness and regret in her voice the few times Mason’s name had been brought up. Because while it might not be the case now, she had been closer to Mason than she had been to Justin at one point.

 

However, Hunter hadn’t known if Mason had been interested in resuming a relationship with Craig or Molly after Craig’s and Madison’s divorce went through. It would make Molly’s regret make sense if she thought that Mason was done. But he’s here. Hunter doesn’t know this kid, but that gives him some hope for Molly’s sake.

 

“Mason, this is Hunter. Molly’s boyfriend. He’s in town and he and Molly are staying here this week.”

 

Mason gives him a once over, his expression immediately becoming more guarded, “What, can’t afford a hotel?”

 

Hunter just stares at Mason because wow. But Craig shakes his head in exasperation and gives Mason a look of warning.

 

“Stop it. And yes, he can. Hunter makes six figures,” Craig says, looking almost amused by bringing that shit up, before meeting Hunter’s eyes, “I apologize for my son’s attitude. He’s not a morning person and he’s wary of anyone Molly dates.”

 

“She has shitty taste in men,” Mason shrugs, taking a sip from his coffee mug, before staring at Hunter almost in accusation, “Like, really shitty.”

 

“She dated one shitty guy,” Craig mutters, “One.”

 

And that piques Hunter’s interest, because while he knows that Justin, Jennifer, and Tucker all know about what had happened with Seth in the past, he has never heard anything about Craig knowing. But apparently both Craig and Mason know something. He’s almost tempted to question them, but he bites back any kind of interrogation as Craig continues talking.

 

“Hunter’s one of the good ones,” Craig says surprisingly, “He’s done a lot of work around the house and has helped me out this week. So stand down and be polite.”

 

Mason just keeps staring at him, as if the kid has never been taught how to be social once in his goddamn life. But if it has anything to do with possible protectiveness due to Molly’s past, Hunter can empathize with that. In fact, if that’s the reason Mason is continuing to stay guarded, then Hunter might actually like him.

 

“I came in from LA to stay with Molly,” Hunter says, offering an olive branch, “I have a few weeks off so I wanted to spend them with her.”

 

“If you’re from LA, then how did you even meet my sister?” Mason asks.

 

“I’m living in LA,” Hunter corrects, finally taking the time to peel and separate his orange, “I’m from Pittsburgh. I’ve known Molly for...I don’t even know, a while, I guess. I got to know her back when she had an internship in New York after her freshman year of college. I was working there for the summer and we both stayed with her brother...your brother?”

 

The question in Hunter’s words does change Mason’s demeanor, Craig’s as well, since the man stiffens before he quietly excuses himself to go unload the dishwasher.

 

“That uh…” Mason starts as he scratches the back of his neck, “I don’t really know Justin. I’ve met him a couple of times through Molly and he’s probably nice enough but...I don’t know, we don’t call each other that. But I know you haven’t been dating her since she was a freshman. She dated other guys in college and she’s not the type to do the whole open relationship thing.”

 

“We’ve only been dating for a few months,” Hunter clarifies, “We kind of kept in touch occasionally but only really started talking again around Christmas when we both went to a mutual friend’s dinner.”

 

“So now she’s in a long distance relationship?” Mason asks, eyebrows raising, “So how are you guys going to keep that up-”

 

“Mason, would you quit grilling him?” Craig says, turning around to look at Mason pointedly, “And call your mom. Let her know that you’re here. From my understanding, you were planning to go to Miami for Spring Break-”

 

“Well, plans change,” Mason interrupts quickly, tapping his fingers on the table, “And I don’t plan on calling Mom.”

 

“Stop,” Craig warns, “Just quit it.”

 

“I’m not staying with her and that asshole,” Mason says stubbornly, but he looks uneasy, “I want to stay here...If I’m still allowed to stay here.”

 

Hunter watches the exchange closely as Craig’s expression turns concerned and possibly guilty as he watches Mason closely.

 

“Of course you can stay here,” Craig says, sounding slightly stressed that the younger man might think otherwise, “Mason...Mason, you know that.”

 

Mason nods in return, staring straight ahead at the wall, and Hunter can see that the worry of not being welcome was most likely genuine. But as soon as Hunter thinks about excusing himself so that Craig and Mason can have an emotional father/son moment, Mason only says, “Okay, good to hear.” The subject is then dropped.

 

Despite the initially tense moments, they all settle into their own routine. Craig opts to bring his laptop to the kitchen table to work on Excel. It’s odd at first, but Hunter can see the curious glances Craig is sending Mason, all while Mason just watches Lacrosse videos intently on his phone. Hunter takes the time to communicate with the crew for the Aronofsky film and makes a call to the man himself. Not much is said between them, but that’s okay. It lets him get some work done. He steps into the dining room for a conference call with a couple of the producers for a half hour, but otherwise, he just sits with Craig and Mason quietly.

 

It’s just as Mason starts bringing up the possibility of going out with Craig for lunch (Hunter is invited as an afterthought, so that’s something) that the doorbell rings. Hunter doesn’t miss the flinch from Craig, nor does he miss the way Mason stares at Craig with concern and bewilderment as Hunter stands up and offers to go get the door.

 

When he arrives at the front door and opens it, there is a young woman there around Molly’s age. She’s tall, possibly an inch taller than Molly and an inch shorter than him. She’s well put-together and has a brunette bob of loose curls and large hazel eyes. Reaching out to put her hands on his shoulders, she looks him up and down before meeting his eyes with a blinding smile.

 

“You must be Hunter,” Hazel says sweetly, leaning in to give him a greeting kiss on the cheek before stepping back, "The man who got Molly Taylor to jump out of a plane."

 

"I'm guessing you're Hazel?" Hunter says, stepping aside so that Hazel can come in, "Molly's at work. She probably isn't going to be back until 7 or so."

 

"I know, that's why I'm here now," Hazel shrugs as she hangs up her coat, "To grill you of your intentions, be intimidating, then decide whether or not you are worthy of my bestie by the time she gets home."

 

Hunter's expression must be amusing because Hazel takes one look at him and bursts into laughter.

 

"I'm kidding," she says, lightly socking Hunter's shoulder, "Well, sort of. I am here to see you. Thought you might want to get out of the house and go to lunch."

 

"That's nice of you," Hunter says, then glances in the direction of the kitchen, "I'm not sure if I should or not though-"

 

"Craig doing okay?" Hazel asks, her peppiness deflating a little.

 

"Yeah...Yeah, he seems okay today. Mostly," Hunter answers, "Things are just a little weird. Mason came in this morning so I think he's trying to be intimidating too-"

 

"Mason's in?!" Hazel exclaims, then walks away from Hunter and towards the kitchen, "Masie-boo! Light of my life, best little brother in the galaxy, where art thou?"

 

Hunter lets out a breath and looks around the foyer. It only takes a few seconds to realize that he has nothing else to do but follow. When he walks into the kitchen, Hazel is coming up behind Mason, throwing her arms around him, ruffling his hair until it's a mess, before tickling his sides, all while laughing maniacally.

 

"You...are...the worst!" Mason grunts out, squirming in his seat before standing up to pick Hazel up to throw over his shoulder, "Molly never gave me half of the shit you did!"

 

"You were the one giving us shit!" Hazel turns her head to call out, still on Mason's shoulder, "Someone had to make it their job to retaliate! Molly was too nice to do it. Who else better to do it but me, your honorary-"

 

"Pain in the ass?"

 

"You both take that title," Craig says, rolling his eyes in exasperation as he types away and Mason spins Hazel around in circles, "Mason, watch it! Her foot almost hit the table!"

 

"Sorry, Mr. Taylor!" Hazel says as Mason puts her down, "I just wanted to stop by to meet Hunter face to face. I didn't realize Mason was going to be here. Seeing his face and this house and wham! 13 again. You know how it is."

 

Craig lets out an audible sigh but then looks almost fond, "It's nice to see you. It's been a while. How's your mom?"

 

"She's good," Hazel says, "She's obsessing over making my wedding dress. I'm pretty sure she wants to make Kate Middleton's dress look drab in comparison. She's making Samira's dress too. I'm not allowed to see it, but it's more understated knowing Samira-"

 

"Samira's wearing a dress?" Mason asks, "I thought she was butch."

 

Hazel gives Mason a look, "Dude, learn the scale. She's soft butch, there's wiggle room. I, however, am a lipstick lesbian." ”

 

Hazel meets Craig’s eyes again and says more softly, “You know, Molly’s going to be my Maid of Honor. The wedding’s at the end of July. I can send you an invite if you want to come. I would love to have you there.”

 

The answer interests Hunter, considering Craig’s history and only relatively recent acceptance of all things gay. But surprisingly, the person who looks the most interested in what Craig’s response will be is Mason, who looks downright nervous.

 

“That would be nice,” Craig answers, clearing his throat, “I’ll come.”

 

“Excellent!” Hazel says, smiling fully, “Let my mom know if you need to be fitted for a suit. She’ll give you a discount.”

 

“So what?” Mason asks, shaking himself out of whatever nerves he had been feeling, “Am I not invited?”

 

“I’m sorry,” Hazel says, turning to Mason to put a hand on her hip, “You have barely stepped foot into the state of Pennsylvania for the last two years. I forgot you existed. But if you aren’t going to run off to Cabo or Cancun or the Bahamas for your summer break, then yes, Mason. You can come.”

 

Mason nods, looking a little satisfied, “Count me in.”

 

Hazel stares at Mason for a moment, “Wait, why are you here, anyway? Why aren’t you in Miami? Don’t you and your friends go to Miami for Spring break?”

 

Mason shrugs and looks away, “I don’t know. I decided to come here instead. I go back to New Hampshire next Sunday.”

 

“Weird,” Hazel says, but then pats his shoulder, “But that means you’ll be here for your 21st birthday! April 10th, don’t think that I forgot. We’ll all have to do something wild. But right now? I’m stealing Hunter for lunch. Just Hunter. Not you.”

 

“So I’m good enough to invite to your wedding but not out to lunch?”

 

“That’s exactly it,” Hazel says, “But seriously. Go eat lunch with your dad. You haven’t been here since forever.”

 

With that, Hazel turns back to Hunter and smiles.

 

“Ready?” she asks, already walking out of the kitchen.

 

“It really doesn’t seem like I have a choice, so I guess,” Hunter says, watching her go.

 

“Oh, you don’t,” Mason says, “She’s stubborn as hell. Like Molly, but louder about it.”

 

Great.

-------------------------------------

“So tell me about Mason.”

 

The words come out of his mouth as they get on 376. He hadn’t planned on asking it, but Hazel doesn’t look surprised by the question at all.

 

“Economics Major at Dartmouth, on the Lacrosse team,” she begins to list, merging into the left lane to speed past traffic, “Smart, but not as smart as Molly. But maybe in some ways a little smarter than Molly because she refused to go to an Ivy League school. She didn’t want to take her family’s money and knew she couldn’t afford any of the Ivy League schools she got into herself, even with her Yale and Dartmouth connections. Her grandpa used to be a professor at Yale but that was like 15 years ago-”

 

“We’re back on Molly,” Hunter points out but Hazel waves him off.

 

“Anyway, Mason isn’t quite as proud,” Hazel says, “Mason sort of followed in Craig’s footsteps. Probably parties a lot more, but whatever. He’s kind of been self-centered since he went off to school, but he isn’t a bad guy. Don’t get me wrong, he was an annoying little shit when he was younger, but I always liked him.”

 

Hunter nods, “I noticed he calls Craig ‘Dad’. Are they close?”

 

Hazel shrugs, “I suppose. Craig loves Mason. He’s paying for his college. He adopted him when Mason was 10. Mason took his last name.”

 

“...I didn’t realize Craig adopted him,” Hunter says, confused, because a step-brother and an adopted brother are completely different, “The few times Molly has talked about him to me, she always called him her step-brother.”

 

Hazel snorts, “Molly’s weird about it. I think she does it because when she says, “my brother” some people think she is talking about Justin and some think she is talking about Mason. She tried older brother and younger brother, but then a few people started thinking that Tucker and Jennifer had some secret love child. Justin and Mason...they’re very separate. I don’t think they’ve met each other more than maybe three or four times. Molly essentially had two very separate families growing up. So I think, for her, it became a habit to keep calling him her step-brother when talking about him with people who don’t personally know both Justin and Mason, even though he’s more than just her step-brother."

 

Hunter nods, "What happened to his bio dad?"

 

"...He sort of sucks. I don't know a lot, but he was never involved with Mason. He did a lot of drugs and jail time, from the sound of it. Mason tried to connect with him once when he was 15. I probably shouldn't talk about it," Hazel says hesitantly, but then perks up, "But I'll tell you a little because it's a badass Molly story."

 

"My favorite kind. I'm all ears," Hunter says.

 

"Well," Hazel starts, "Mason's dad came out of nowhere and wanted to be a part of his son's life. Both Craig and Madison were sort of livid but let Mason have the option available to him. He's a fifteen-year-old kid, so he's curious about who his biological father is. They actually got along at first, Mason's bio dad came and took him to dinner, to a hockey game, stuff like that. It wasn't often. Craig was still his dad, even legally at that point. But it kind of made things tense with everyone. When Molly and I moved for college, she didn't go over there at all. She had planned to pull back because she was so pissed at her dad about Justin, but she didn't want Craig and Madison to help us move down to Morgantown or anything. It ended up being fine, we had my mom, Jennifer, and Tucker. But yeah, that year, when you went over to Craig's and Madison's house, things were just tense."

 

Hazel pulls off the exit and starts driving towards Shadyside before continuing, "Anyway, Mason never spent the night until bio dad asks if he wants to spend Thanksgiving with him and stay for the weekend. Mason says yes, which was probably a dick move because Madison takes Thanksgiving very seriously. My mom and I went to Jen's and Tucker's that Thanksgiving, my mom went back home and Molly and I stayed in her room that night, while Justin stayed in the guest room. Around midnight, Molly gets a call on her cell and it's Mason, sounding really quiet and freaked out, asking her to come get him. Molly's asking what's wrong and he just says he needs her to come get him and he's afraid to leave the bathroom without a ride. So, Molly's kind of freaking out and asking Mason if she should call the police or their dad and Mason is begging her not to. So our stupid 18 year old selves don't tell Craig or Madison about Mason possibly being in some sort of trouble. We don't even tell Jen, Tucker, or Justin about it and they were all sleeping in the house. We just get in Molly's car and drive over to bio dad's house. We walk up to his house, Molly knocks on the door, and it swings open. Bio dad is standing there looking strung out and he's pointing a shotgun at us."

 

"He had a gun on you guys?" Hunter asks, "Jesus Christ."

 

"Pointed it at our faces and everything," Hazel confirms, "Anyway, bio dad is talking nonsense, then says to get off his property. Molly says she will as soon as she gets her brother. Bio dad says that the only way she's getting in is if she has a search warrant or if we bend over for him and the friend of his that was there. Otherwise, we're getting shot. Molly literally scoffed and said, "Yeah, right" then took the gun by the barrel and moved it out of the way. She walked to the bathroom and I followed her because ride or die, you know? We found Mason there, sitting on the closed toilet seat. Molly just told him that it was time to leave. Bio dad didn't even have time to think about pulling a trigger before we were on our way. I don't think Mason has seen the guy since. He didn't do anything to Mason. They were just doing drugs and getting guns out, which would understandably freak out a fifteen-year-old. But since Mason was fine, no one told any parents anything. We just went back to Jen and Tucker's house and Mason slept on Molly's floor while we slept in the bed. Then we got up the next morning and Mason and Justin were super awkward around each other while Jennifer was trying to go above and beyond to be nice and welcoming to Mason. All in all, a weird twenty-four hours."

 

"Molly's so ridiculous," Hunter moans, putting his face into his hands, because if she took a gun by the barrel and just casually moved it out of the way, that's what she is, "So fucking ridiculous."

 

"Yet so very brave. She would be more cautious nowadays," Hazel tries to reassure him, "But that's the second most badass story I have about Molly Taylor. The first is-"

 

"The 5th grade lunch detention riot?"

 

"Yep!" Hazel smiles, "I had to get in trouble on purpose in order to get to sit with my best friend for the rest of that year. We weren't allowed to talk, so we learned sign language. A couple of teachers tried to call us out but we would insist that we didn't know what they were talking about. We got surprisingly good though. Pittsburgh is a really deaf friendly city so it's come in handy. I'm still conversational, but Molly is fluent in ASL - as well as French and Mandarin - fucking show off. Is Noodlehead okay? Hipster as fuck, but their food is cheap and good."

 

They park two blocks away to avoid paid parking and walk over to the restaurant. Once they step inside, Hunter realizes that Hazel is right: the place is hipster as fuck. Literally everything about it. From the walls to the decor to the tables to even the water bottles brought to the table, it screams hipster. He could probably find a place like this in LA. However, there's only a ten minute wait before they're seated and five more until their orders are in.

 

"So…" Hazel begins, staring at Hunter with a gentle but inquisitive smile on her face.

 

"So…" Hunter returns, taking the bottle of water to pour them both a glass.

 

Hazel bites her lip and studies him for a moment before speaking, "Look, while I was mostly joking about interrogating you about your intentions or whatever, I am probably going to. Gently. Because Molly's crazy about you. More than she has ever been about anyone. I've known her since we were kids so I can tell you that with one hundred percent certainty."

 

Hunter feels his heart thump at the words, and it's kind of dumb because Molly told him herself that she hasn't felt this way about anyone right after he said those words to her. But for some reason, hearing it from her best friend makes Hunter believe the words more fully. It makes him more confident that Molly hadn't said it to be nice, or because she felt like she had to after Hunter bared his heart to her.

 

"...I feel the same way," Hunter says quietly, taking a sip of water before putting the glass down, "I've never felt the way I feel for Molly before."

 

"Good," Hazel smiles, clearing her throat, "That's good. Because Molly deserves the best, you know? It may not look like she had it rough a few years ago, but she did. And before that, the whole thing with Justin and dad, then her parents divorcing...that wasn't easy on her either. The last few years though...I don't know, I just want to make sure she's safe. Things have been fine for a while, but I want her to be out of her mind happy, like how Samira makes me. Not too on her guard to let herself feel that way. Her flying off to California and jumping out of a plane with you gave me a lot of hope."

 

"I had to beg her," Hunter laughs, "Literally get on my knees and beg her to jump with me."

 

"She probably loved that just as much as she loved the jump," Hazel says, smirking.

 

"Yeah, well, it ended up convincing her, so I would do it again. I don't have that much pride."

 

Hazel lets out a breath, "Molly does. You've probably noticed that."

 

Hunter nods, "I have."

 

"...She wants to take care of everything herself," Hazel says, "She's extremely independent. She doesn't like to rely on people emotionally. She's sort of always been that way but a few years ago...I don't know, there was this guy...I shouldn't talk about it without her here-"

 

"I know about Seth."

 

Hazel's eyes widen for a moment, but then become relieved, "Wow. Okay...Okay, that's good. I'm glad she told you. Fuck, that's a relief to hear. She hates it when anyone brings him up. I mean, he hasn't done anything in like a year, but the fact that she's talked about him with you is huge."

 

Hunter freezes in confusion for a moment, then shakes his head, "He...a year? Hazel, he's still calling her. It's why I got her the new phone, the old one wouldn't turn off when he started calling non-stop. I forced her to report a call on Monday because he threatened to rape and kill her Saturday night. When I called her, she was inconsolable. I couldn't hear her like that so I came here. I thought it was just about her dad having a setback but found out Monday night about what Seth said."

 

Hazel looks horrified and dumbfounded. Then hurt and enraged. For a second, Hunter's afraid she's going to storm off but before she can do anything, the waitress comes with their twin orders of Street Noodle #1 and it distracts her just enough to keep that from happening.

 

"She never fucking told me," Hazel mutters, stabbing at her meal, "I ask her on a regular basis if she's heard from him or felt like he was following her again and she always tells me no. Why the fuck-"

 

"I think she's trying to protect you," Hunter says gently, trying to meet her eyes, "Seth...he did something to you, right? Molly hasn't told me a lot of details, but she mentioned that he retaliated against you and Jerome? She seems to still feel guilty about it."

 

Hazel bites her cheek, "It's not Molly's fault. It's never been Molly's fault. She didn't keep him around for very long once he started becoming abusive and controlling. She warned me and Jerome not to tell him off if we saw him. She begged us and said he would retaliate. Neither of us listened. I told him off. Jerome chased him off. He hacked Jerome's accounts, ruined a few internship opportunities for him. And as for me, he took some pictures I sent to my ex-girlfriend, as well as pictures my ex sent me, and put them all on a revenge porn site. He also sent some to my professors. That board meeting was fun. No one could prove it was him, but we all know it was."

 

"Shit," Hunter says, looking down at his plate, "I'm sorry."

 

Hazel shrugs, "It's in the past. But apparently he isn't. What all do you know?"

 

Hunter lets out a breath, "I know he does that call marathon bullshit once every month or two. I know he tries to get Molly to get back with him then calls her derogatory names when she tells him to fuck off. I guess he sometimes hints that he knows where she is. I know he attacked her and that Tucker and Justin stayed with her. It sounds like he tried to beat her up pretty badly...that he was aiming to do more."

 

Hazel nods and swallows, "It was right after she moved out of our place. She felt awful about what happened and didn't want to risk me getting fucked over again, so she got a place for herself. About a month or two in, she got attacked. She was black and blue. He broke several of her ribs, dislocated her jaw. She didn't need headgear or wraps but maybe she should have worn something since she still has some TMJ from that injury, only when she eats something like a bagel, but still."

 

Hunter feels the rage and anger simmering in his gut, but forces himself not to say anything as Hazel continues.

 

"After that happened, her mom and Tucker were trying to get her to transfer to a school up in Connecticut. Justin tried to get her to move to New York, take a semester off so that she could relax, then transfer her credits to a school up there. She obviously didn't do any of those things, but Jerome got her to move into his apartment by the fall semester. She lived with him and Liu for a while. The restraining order was in place her junior and senior years so he didn't do quite as much. He just called and showed up a few places to watch her. Jerome saw him and chased him off right before our last semester. I'm close with Jerome, but Jerome and Molly are really close, he's like a brother to her. He hates Seth. He didn't like him when Seth was being an asshole to Molly and just saying really controlling and hateful things so he obviously hated him after he hit Molly. And Seth never liked him. He tried to keep Molly from hanging out with Jerome but she obviously didn't listen. That was probably the breaking point for Molly, not him throwing out some of her clothes, or acting like she wasn't smart, or calling her ugly-"

 

"How the FUCK can he think she's dumb and ugly?" Hunter grits out, "Who the FUCK says that to their girlfriend or to fucking anyone, but especially to her-"

 

"I'm sure he didn't actually think that," Hazel interjects, "But Molly has always been heavily complimented on how attractive she is and how smart she is. I am guessing Seth started thinking she would realize how much potential she really has, go on to bigger and better things, and leave him. And it's fucking ridiculous because she and Seth were never serious. Ever. If he wanted to hold onto her in such an abusive way, you'd think he would aim to make Molly more reliant on the relationship, maybe have her move in with him, make her more emotionally attached first. But apparently Seth isn't that smart himself. Don't get me wrong, he's a genius, but he let his emotions and what is most likely a severe mental illness get the best of him. He would call Molly fat after a waiter hit on her, because she isn't a size 0 - which would be super fucking unhealthy for someone built like her. But apparently a size 6 or whatever Molly is was huge to him. He would say that people just hit on her to be nice, or try to talk her out of taking an internship at Harvard by saying she wouldn't be able to keep up with it, it didn't get to Molly like he was probably aiming. I think I was more upset by the shit he was saying than she was. But I think that by the time I heard it, she was already so fucking done because she didn't break things off that much later. I'm proud of her for not feeling afraid to break things off with him and keep it that way. I know a couple of friends who keep going back into the same toxic relationships. I understand there is a psychology behind it, but it is infuriating to watch. But when Molly broke things off with Seth and moved on without even a blip, that gave him a reason to terrorize her. The attack happened just a few days before she was supposed to go to Harvard for the summer. He made it so she couldn't go, which is all the more reason he most likely did it. He never wanted her to go."

 

Hunter doesn't even know what to say. All he can feel is pure hatred for Seth, it's an ugly feeling that has permanently attached itself to his heart and lungs and every fucking organ of his body and it is beginning to eat its way into him like a cancer. He wants to commit murder. It's completely fucked but it isn't an exaggeration. If he ever saw Seth Warner, Hunter would probably end up in prison if he couldn't keep that feeling under control.

 

"I can see the look on your face," Hazel says gently, "It's the same look I've had when I think about it too hard as well. The same expression I've seen on Jerome and Liu's faces. If I knew for a fact that I could get away with it, I would probably kill Seth too. Will as well, but it is a little too late for that."

 

Hunter groans, "Who is Will?"

 

Hazel looks away, "Fuck, I thought she might have told you about that if she told you as much as she did about Seth."

 

"She didn't have much of a choice," Hunter says, "Like I said, he started calling in the middle of the night during her visit. She told me a little then and she told me more after the threat he made. Now, who is Will?"

 

"...I'm not sure I should say," Hazel says hesitantly, "Molly only went on two dates with him, so it isn't like he was her boyfriend like Seth was-"

 

"You know Molly won't tell me," Hunter points out, glaring, "She'll gloss over it until I get it out of her two months from now. You put it out there and into my head. If I know all of it, I won't bug her about it. I'll understand her more but not push her to talk about it and make her wonder why I know the name Will-"

 

"Alright, alright," Hazel says, waving her hands, "Christ, I am not usually this much of a gossip queen. I shouldn't be telling you this stuff about her at all. It's one thing to talk about Seth. You already know a lot about Seth, I just gave you some details. But with Will...ugh, fine. Whatever. But if you even hint to her that I told you, I will stab you in the eye with this chopstick, got it?"

 

"I accept," Hunter says, staring at Hazel intently.

 

Hazel sighs, "There's not a lot to say. While she was going through the restraining order process with Seth. It was right before she moved out of my place and like a month before her attack. She went out on a date with this guy named Will Loukanis. Like Seth, he was handsome and intelligent, seemed nice. Molly liked the first date she went on him with - dinner and a movie, something like that - so she agreed to a second date. She went to a bar with him on a Friday night, nothing out of the ordinary. She had just turned 20 and had a fake ID so she could have gotten wild, but didn't. She was still nervous if her friends weren't around so she told Will she had a two drink maximum. She drinks her first drink, something weak, then has her second, also weak. She's barely buzzed. But suddenly, she can't see straight, she's stumbling and Will is reaching up her dress and saying he will take her to his car. Apparently she shoved him and ran for the bathroom. She called me from in there, I could barely understand her but knew where she went so I went to the bar, found her in the bathroom, and got her out. Will was nowhere to be found. She didn't want me to, but I drove her to the hospital. She kept insisting nothing happened but she was so out of it so I was pushing her to get examined. She was right: she wasn't assaulted. She had rohypnol in her system and barely any alcohol, but was okay. The nurse asked if she wanted to file a report and Molly refused because the cops did fucking nothing about Seth, plus the restraining order was taking so long so she thought it would make them take her even less seriously if she started pointing fingers at another guy. It fucking killed me because who knows if Will would go on and do it to someone else?"

 

Hunter runs a hand down his face, "...I want to fucking kill him. Seth more, but I want to kill this guy too...Fuck, I promise I am usually not this murderous. One of my dads is a Buddhist. I've never felt violent like this but I don't even fucking care right now because guys like Seth and Will deserve to be fucking dead."

 

Hazel nods seriously then shrugs her shoulders, "Well, Seth is still out there but Will is dead. Turns out, Molly and I didn't have to worry about him drugging anyone else. He died in a drunk driving accident two days later. The school held a candlelight vigil for him. I may have stopped by and blown out some of the more annoying students’ candles. Couldn't help myself."

 

"...Good," Hunter finally says, feeling slightly calmer, "I shouldn't say that, and I feel a little bad for saying it, but good. I'm glad he's fucking dead."

 

"Yeah…" Hazel says, trailing off to put in Molly's favorite order with the waitress before turning her attention back to Hunter, "The thing with Will that bothered me the most wasn't even the fact that Molly got drugged. It was what it did to her when it came to her trusting people. She eventually dated again and even dated a decent guy before you, but Miguel became overwhelmed with what Seth started pulling with him and Molly told him that it was probably for the best that they break up. But at the time...fuck, that night I will never forget her words. She was drugged so she probably wouldn't have said it otherwise but after she was released from the ER and we were in the car, she broke down and asked me, 'What did I do to make stuff like this happen to me?' I will never forget how devastated she sounded."

 

Hunter stays silent as the check arrives. Shaking himself out of his unexpected resulting depression stemming from what Hazel told him, he reaches for the check but Hazel grabs it out of his hands and gets cash out of her purse.

 

"You may be some fancy Hollywood big shot-” Hazel starts but Hunter starts correcting her.

 

“Believe me, I’m not,” Hunter says, trying to take the check back, “I’m doing well for myself in my field but cinematographers don’t hold a lot of power in the industry itself. Whatever you’ve come up with is wrong.”

 

Be that as it may, I still asked you," Hazel reminds him, looking him straight in the eye, "To thank you for coming here to be with her and for making her happier than I have seen her in a long time. I like you. If I didn't, I wouldn't have told you as much about Molly as I did. That being said, if you ever intentionally cause her even a fraction of the pain Seth and Will caused her, I will make sure your body is never found. Is that fair?"

 

"More than," Hunter answers honestly, not hesitating to keep eye contact.

 

Hazel smiles, genuinely so, reaches over to squeeze his hand, and puts the cash on the table, "I'm glad we have an understanding.

------------------------------

Molly pulls up in the driveway, stifling a yawn as she puts her car in park. She lets her head fall back against the headrest as she closes her eyes for a moment before forcing herself to snap out of it and get her stuff from the passenger seat. It’s not until she is out of her car that she even registers not one, but two other cars in the driveway. It’s sort of dark, but she can see Hazel’s car right in front of hers, which already has her rolling her eyes because of course her friend couldn’t wait for Molly to properly introduce her to Hunter herself. But the one in front of Hazel’s takes her a second longer to register. It isn’t until she sees the New Hampshire license plate that she realizes who it is. And honestly? She doesn’t know how she feels about Mason being here. Now that she sees his car, she realizes that yeah, she really missed her younger brother. But at the same time, Mason can be a bit of a fuckwad when he wants to be and that means Hunter has potentially been dealing with Mason all day. Great.

 

Regardless of not knowing exactly what is going to be waiting for her on the other side of the door, she forces herself to unlock it and go inside. She can hear Hazel’s happy, loud, and chattering voices, Mason groaning about something or other, not a peep from Hunter, and her dad turning the page of a book in the living room.

 

“Have some sort of party going on?” Molly asks him, as she walks into the living room to put her messenger bag on the coffee table.

 

Her father lets out a breath, rubs at his eyes with his thumb and pointer finger, but then lets out a soft laugh, “I forgot how…lively Hazel can be. She’s getting Mason drunk on a few bottles of wine she had in the trunk of her car.”

 

Molly narrows her eyes, “And you’re okay with that? Look, Dad, she’s my best friend but if she’s making you feel uncomfortable or if you’re not up for company-”

 

But her dad waves her off, “No, no. She’s okay. Actually, more than. Mason was in a mood, about to go out by himself. I’m…I’m not stupid. I know the kid parties. But he can wait to go out drinking until his birthday next week. Him doing it tonight wouldn’t be any good. I don’t know what’s going on with him but there’s something wrong. He just showed up this morning, drove all night to get here and didn’t go on his trip to Miami, won’t call Madison, then barely wanted me out of his sight until Hazel and Hunter came back from lunch.”

 

Molly nods, glances in the direction of the noise, then looks at her dad again, “Maybe he just missed you or something. Or was homesick. Weird, since coming home on breaks hasn’t been his thing, but maybe he’s…I don’t know, reprioritizing.”

 

Her dad studies her for a moment, then clears his throat, “Did you uh…Did you tell him what was going on with me? He…I don’t know, he was clingy earlier. Or as clingy as Mason can be. Like I said, he wanted to be around me all day until he got it in his head that he needed to go out and get drunk. I couldn’t talk him out of that, but Hazel managed to get him to compromise.”

 

“No,” Molly says, “I didn’t tell him. I text Mason some and check in but we haven’t spoken much in a while and I haven’t seen him since November.”

 

“Well, that just worries me more,” her dad grumbles, “It’s probably something to do with him then. Maybe you and Hazel can get him to talk? Maybe Hunter, if it’s a guy thing but he doesn’t want to talk about it with me?”

 

“Maybe,” Molly shrugs, not really counting on it, “Do you need anything before I go face a couple of drunken assholes? Food, water-”

 

“Nah,” her dad says, before going back to his book, “Hunter keeps checking in but I’m doing okay today. Having you here…you all here, that makes things a lot better.”

 

Molly doesn’t really know what to say to that, so she doesn’t say anything. She just gives him an awkward smile and heads for the kitchen.

 

When she arrives, the three of them are sitting at the island. Hunter and Mason are sitting next to each other, their back towards the archway, while Hazel is facing her direction. Molly gives Hazel a silent gesture to let her know not to say a word before she quietly approaches Mason and Hunter from behind, then quickly swings her arms around their necks.

 

“Boo!”

 

Mason jumps at her arrival and is trying to get out of her embrace on reflex but Hunter just takes her arm and holds it there. She gives Mason a quick kiss on the cheek, then does the same to Hunter. The only difference with Hunter, is that it turns into more than that as soon as he turns his head and she can kiss his mouth instead.

 

“Can you let me go before you start a full on make out session with your boyfriend?” Mason asks, easily throwing her arm off him so that she can put both arms around Hunter instead.

 

“Oh, man,” Hazel says, “You two are gross. Adorable, but gross. If this is what you are both like sober, I would hate to see you both drunk. Regardless, Molly, I am pouring you a glass. Also, I got you a gift from Noodlehead. It's in the fridge if you want it for dinner."

 

Molly reluctantly breaks the kiss, whispering a ‘hello’ to Hunter before she turns to Hazel, “I was starving around Canonsburg and couldn't wait any longer so I got something from Wendy's drive-thru. But I will take your gift for lunch tomorrow, so thank you. Also, I'm surprised you saved me a glass, since you are illegally getting my little brother wasted.”

 

“Okay, one: that’s an exaggeration and I don’t know where you heard it,” Hazel says as she pours more wine into a glass than what is probably acceptable, “And two: I am an only child. Mason is the closest thing to a little brother I have. I have never had anyone to corrupt, so he is just going to have to do. I would try to corrupt your boyfriend, but for some reason he is a one and done kind of guy when it comes to alcohol. So annoying.”

 

“Like I said, I don't drink much and it's more about in case you need someone to drive you home later,” Hunter points out, “You said that Samira’s car is getting worked on, right? So you might need me and…well, I guess Craig, to get you and your car home.”

 

“I should be able to do it,” Molly says, pouring some of her wine into Mason’s glass, “It’s a school night. It’s one and done for me too. Although, who knows? According to Hazel, I’m the lightweight, yet here she is.”

 

“I drank three-fourths of a bottle myself. And besides, it’s Thursday,” Hazel pouts, “Friday workdays barely count.”

 

“Maybe for you when you are in your luxurious stay-at-home office, but not for me,” Molly says.

 

“Wait, what do you do?” Hunter asks, “This whole day, you’ve never brought it up.”

 

Hazel glances at Molly, “Hunter and I spent the day together. Gossiping about you.”

 

“I’m not shocked at all,” Molly deadpans.

 

“You’re fascinating," Hazel continues.

 

“Hazel is a freelance graphic designer,” Molly says, changing the subject, “She usually does ads and fonts for businesses and websites and does most of her work from the comfort of her own home.”

 

“It’s hard to meet people,” Hazel says, turning around on the barstool, “I mean, I’m doing better than I’ve ever done thus far, but I had to come ask my best friend’s boyfriend to lunch and I didn’t even officially meet him until today, all because I was bored. Not that I regret it. He’s a keeper, Molly, I’ve decided. Plus, my trip here let me see my Mason Bo Basin again. Here, Mason, have more wine. You look stressed. Let me corrupt you.”

 

“You know I’ve done keg stands and taken shots out of a woman’s cleavage,” Mason says, “You pouring more wine in my glass isn’t that scandalous.”

 

The words themselves are humorous but Mason himself looks anything but. When Molly finally takes a look at her younger brother, his eyebrows are furrowed and he’s staring down at the glass of wine, as if he’s blaming it for something. It’s strange, because he seemed okay enough when Molly first came in. Maybe he’s pissed at her for something. Or something else is wrong, like her dad said. Regardless, she suddenly feels like it’s her duty to find out, or at least let him know that she’s available to talk to if he needs it.

 

“You alright?” Molly asks quietly, running a hand through Mason’s hair.

 

Hunter and Hazel stay silent, as if they know something is off as well, and Mason doesn’t talk at first either. But then he barely looks at her as he says, “I don’t know.”

 

“What you mean, you don’t know?” Molly frowns, “Did something happen with your trip?”

 

“No,” Mason says, sighing, “As I have said to like six people already, I just decided not to go.”

 

“Uh huh,” Molly says slowly, “…Alright, well if you’re upset about something and need to talk, I’m here until…I don’t know, Hunter, when do you want to head to Morgantown?

 

“It’s up to you,” Hunter shrugs, “Easter is Sunday. I don’t give a shit about Easter and I don’t think you do either, but it might be good for your dad to have two of his kids here.”

 

“Fine, Sunday,” Molly decides, “I’ll be here until Sunday. Hunter and I might go somewhere for a couple of days next week but I’ll make sure that I’m here for your birthday. We could all go out to dinner, Dad will probably want to come too-”

 

“Ugh!” Mason groans out, putting his head down on the counter, before sitting up to down the wine in his glass like a shot, pour another one, only to repeat the action.

 

“I don’t think you are supposed to drink it like that,” Hunter says, watching Mason from the other side of Molly.

 

But apparently Mason doesn't care about which way is socially acceptable to drink wine because he doesn't say a word back to Hunter at all. And as Molly, Hunter, and Hazel talk amongst themselves and Mason keeps drinking, Mason suddenly seems to stop caring about being silent at all.

 

"I need to talk to you," Mason says to Molly suddenly, already standing up and taking her hand to lead her to the backdoor, "Just you. For right now, at least."

 

"Alright?" Molly says, more like a question as she glances back at Hunter and Hazel, who look about as confused about Mason's demand as she does. But once they get outside, despite Mason's demand being sudden, it takes a while for him to start talking.

 

"Okay, what's going on with you?" Molly asks, watching Mason slowly pace with his hands on his head, "Everyone can tell there is something going on and you skipping a trip to Miami just to come home isn't like you. At all. It's like you actively try to avoid coming here."

 

Mason glances at her at that point, looking slightly exasperated and amused, "And you don't?"

 

Molly shrugs, "You know my reasons. They never had anything to do with you. I've told you that before, but I hope you know that."

 

"Hmmm," Mason hums before letting out a scoff, "So why are you here now? After years of trying and failing to avoid this house once you moved to West Vir-fucking-ginia?"

 

"...We came out here to talk about you," Molly reminds him, "I'm not saying I'm not a hot mess, but you were literally bothered enough to pull me out of the kitchen for a private conversation."

 

Mason meets her eyes at that point, looking extremely uneasy, then says, "...Okay, I know you're not going to judge me, not for this, but I don't even know how to say it."

 

Molly waits for Mason to elaborate, but he literally says nothing else at all. So finally, Molly says, "Does it have something to do with your canceled trip?"

 

Mason lets out a groan, "No...Yes. I mean, not the trip itself."

 

"...Uh huh," Molly says slowly, "Mason, you're going to have to give me something here. I love you, I really do, but I am kind of out of sync at this point when it comes to you."

 

Mason runs his hands through his hair, walks over to sit on the patio chair, before quickly standing up again to pace. Molly doesn't say another word until Mason is standing in front of her again.

 

"Someone I have feelings for is going on the trip. We uh...We've been uh...hooking up some. But I really care about this person. I've never felt this way before. It's freaking me out."

 

Molly nods and tries not to get exasperated. Because while she figures Mason hasn't gone out of his way to get into a serious relationship - from what she's gathered, he had one serious girlfriend in high school and two short-term girlfriends in college so far - developing serious feelings over someone isn't something to have a crisis over, especially if they are in close proximity and live in the same area, especially if there are no huge barriers keeping him from being with this girl the majority of the time. But Molly will try to stay sympathetic while subtly getting Mason to stop being so dramatic. She owes him that much.

 

"Okay," Molly says, "Is this person toxic or something? On drugs? Abusive or a spoiled trust fund baby-"

 

"No," Mason scoffs, "Fuck, I wish. Then I could just get over this shit. But everything about this person is amazing. When I'm around them, I don't know...I feel happy. Free. All around, a lot better."

 

Molly tries not to roll her eyes as she stares at her fidgeting and pacing brother, "Then what's the problem? She sounds great."

 

Mason screws his eyes shut, lets out a breath, then looks at Molly head on.

 

"Not a she. It's a guy."

 

"...Oh. Oh."

 

Well, shit. She never would have expected this. Mason has never been hateful or even an asshole about gay people, but he never once - even once - expressed interest or curiosities about getting with a guy. Until right now, Molly would have assumed that she was more likely to be gay over Mason, but apparently her gaydar isn't as good as she thinks it is, despite having Justin Taylor as a brother and Hazel Levitt as a best friend. Oh, well.

 

"Oh? Oh? That's all you're going to say to that? Do you realize how hard that was for me for fucking say-"

 

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," Molly says, snapping herself out of it. And fuck it, she quickly pulls Mason in for a hug before she can think much about it. She has to pull his head down more than she's used to in order for his chin to touch her shoulder. He used to be shorter than her for so long. Now he has to be 6'0". His growth makes her realize that she hasn't properly hugged him in years.

 

"My teammates found out. Tri-Kappa did too," Mason says, his voice slightly muffled against her, "They're in Miami. Ezra is too. He's braver than I am and is pissed that I bailed. He doesn't even like most of those guys. He can't stand most frat guys and jocks and he still went. He called me out and said that I was being cowardly. That I shouldn't care what people think. But my friends from lacrosse aren't looking at me the same. They'll probably want me off the team."

 

"Fuck them," Molly says, not letting go as she slowly massages Mason's neck with her left hand, "I don't think they can kick you off anyway. It would be discrimination. Things are getting better, a lot better than they used to be. I'm sorry if you felt like you had to hide this."

 

Mason lets go of her and steps back, "That's the thing though. I didn't. I didn't know I swung this way until Ezra. I was so confused about it that I actively tried to see if I am interested in other guys. I went to a gay club by myself. I was terrified and I couldn't find anyone. I don't think I'm fully gay. Women are still attractive, I guess...I just...I don't know. None of them are him."

 

Molly shrugs, "Well, maybe you are bi. Or pan. Or maybe he's your one exception. I don't know. But if you really like him and he's willing to call you out on your shit, then I like him already."

 

Mason stays quiet at that for a minute and if Molly wasn't hanging onto his every word at this point, she wouldn't hear what he says next.

 

"I'm glad you're fine with it. I appreciate it. It doesn't mean my mom will be. It doesn't mean Dad will be either. Dad...fuck, Molly. Dad will never talk to me again if he finds out."

 

Molly feels a pain in her chest at the words and watches in surprise Mason's face crumples and he quickly turns away so that Molly can't see him get emotional. It's probably due to the alcohol. Mason isn't exactly sober and, on top of that, he's revealing some things that have obviously been weighing very heavily on him. But it hurts to see him so scared and upset about it, especially if he has been keeping all of his concerns to himself.

 

"Mason…" Molly says, "Mason, no. I don't think Dad will cut things off with you if he finds out or you tell him."

 

"Yes, he will," Mason chokes out, his back still facing her as he sniffles, "He cut off Justin so he would do it to me too. Justin is his flesh and blood. I'm...fuck, I'm nothing in comparison.

 

Molly lets out a sigh, "You know that's not true. You know that. Dad loves you. Just as much as he loves me, if not more. He adopted you, so you're still as much as his son as you were before the divorce. You're just as much his child as Justin and I are. Now, what Dad did to Justin was wrong. You know how I feel about it. But to be slightly fair, Justin was sort of being an asshole. He had every right to be out and proud but I remember him being bratty about having sex and throwing the fact that he had slept with an older man in Dad's face, my mom's face too. He was rebelling a lot. What Dad did was terrible and what he did later with getting Justin arrested was almost unforgivable. But when Justin first came out...I don't know, I think if the circumstances had been different, Dad would have eventually come around. Like if Justin had gotten with a guy his own age, or came out before he got with anyone, I think Dad would have taken it better. It would have taken time, but I don't think it would have gone quite as badly. It had been Brian who really triggered Dad initially. It's not really Brian's fault. I guess he and Justin were in love for years after so you can't blame either of them. But I do know that when they broke up the first time, Justin came to Dad to ask for help with his tuition-"

 

"I know," Mason says, "I was here by that point. I remember him coming into our old house."

 

"Well, I guess when Justin told Dad he and Brian weren't together anymore and that he was seeing someone else, Dad was relieved more than anything," Molly says, "The only reason he didn't help was because Justin wanted to study Art and not Business. Another asshole move, but not to the same degree. Luckily, you study Economics at his alma mater. You've met more of his expectations than Justin and I ever did. And Dad's changed a lot of his stances on the LGBTQ community anyway. He's donating to the Human Rights Campaign and is reconnecting with Justin again. In that regard, he's a lot better."

 

Mason stills before finally turning around to look at her again, "Huh? What do you mean, he's reconnecting with Justin again?"

 

Shit. She doesn't know how much Mason knows about everything but it probably isn't much. She doesn't want to be the one to tell him that his father has been having some sort of nervous breakdown stemming from mental illness, guilt, and regret - and she definitely doesn't want to be the one to say that he tried to kill himself in October - but she meant what she said about Mason being just as much of Craig Taylor's child as she and Justin are. To leave him out would be cruel and contradict that statement.

 

"Dad…" Molly starts, trying to find the words that won't get Mason more worked up than he already is, "Dad hasn't been doing well, mentally, for a while. I tried to ignore the signs. I didn't want to deal with it at first. I guess your mom left because she was overwhelmed-"

 

"Mom said she left because she said he couldn't get his shit together, then wouldn't tell me anything else," Mason interrupts harshly, "I thought she was just being a bitch."

 

"Well…" Molly says, holding her tongue regarding her sometimes cunty ex-stepmother, "He's been going through a lot. It seems like at least some of it came from feeling so guilty about Justin. He has been really regretting how things went down for a while and missing him and I think it was weighing down on him. He called Justin all upset. I guess he was drunk. He went and stayed with Justin back in February. They're uh...They're doing better. They're working on things. So that's good. He's just going through a lot mentally right now."

 

Despite Molly trying to downplay it a little, Mason still looks stressed and worried. He's not dumb. He's excelling at fucking Dartmouth. He can see right through shit if he really wants to.

 

"What do you mean?" Mason asks desperately, "What's going on with him?"

 

Molly lets out a breath because she now realizes that she's not getting out of talking about this with him, "Just...I don't know. He has been really depressed. He's having panic attacks. He doesn't like to leave the house much. He has a psychiatrist now, so that's good. She is one of the only psychiatrists in Pittsburgh who offers therapy, so he has sessions with her and is on meds now, which seem to be helping some."

 

"Did something happen?" Mason presses, taking a step closer to Molly, "Is that why you're here?"

 

"He had a setback," Molly says softly, "He wasn't doing well when I stopped by on Saturday. His psychiatrist came by to talk to him, put in prescriptions with the pharmacy to adjust his meds, and asked if I could stay here for the week."

 

Mason lets out a growl before glaring at her, "I should have fucking been informed. You should have told me something was going on with him. It's not fucking fair that I didn't know about our dad being in some sort of mental health crisis. I should have been here to help while you were at work. Instead, what? You get your boyfriend to come who Dad's never met until now?"

 

Molly tries not to take the bait but can't help but glare back, "I didn't invite Hunter out here. He called me and I broke down crying on the phone. He didn't know much but knew I was hurting so he jumped on the first plane to Pittsburgh without telling me. He came out here to help me. He's helping Dad to help me. I didn't plan on it but I'm not going to be sorry that he's here when I'm fucking not. Besides, your spring break doesn't even officially start until Saturday and you planned on going to Miami for it anyway. Why would I try to fuck up your trip or your academics? Are you skipping class to be here?"

 

Mason scoffs, still scowling, "No, Ms. Taylor. I scheduled my classes to be on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday mornings. Long weekends every single week."

 

"Smart."

 

"Don't change the topic."

 

Molly sighs, "I'm not trying to. If it makes you feel better, I haven't talked to Justin about this week either. I figured if I didn't have to worry either of you, I wouldn't. But he's doing a lot better than he was on Saturday and Sunday. Having people keeping him company has helped a lot. That includes you coming today. If he had been hospitalized or admitted himself to a psych ward, I obviously would have called both of you, so that you could awkwardly stand around each other and not say more than three sentences to each other until you're forced back together five years from now for some unavoidable family function or tragedy."

 

Mason lets out a humorless laugh and looks away, "...Look, you know I have nothing against Justin-"

 

"I'm aware."

 

"-but I literally don't know him," Mason finishes softly, "I never got the chance to know him. And it's weird and it's fucking sad because even though I don't call him my brother, that's what he is. It's probably been awkward for you to have two separate families but there's nothing I can do about it."

 

"...I understand," Molly says, "Justin's not any less at fault. He could have made an effort after you went to college, but it's weird for him too, especially with not having a relationship with Dad the whole time you've been in the picture. I don't know. I don't really talk about you to him. Or about him to you. If I was expected to, the whole two separate families thing would drive me more nuts than it already does."

 

"Sorry," Mason shrugs, not looking as sorry as Molly would like, but maybe a little apologetic.

 

"You know..." Molly begins, watching him closely, "With what's going on with you right now, it might be a good time to talk to Justin and maybe try to build a relationship with him. He went through the whole coming out thing and is really involved with the LGBTQ community. I know you guys don't know each other, but I do think he would care if you were struggling-"

 

"I doubt it, but thanks," Mason says.

 

"He would," Molly counters, "Remember that I know him a lot better than you do."

 

"I'm not desperate enough to reach out to someone I don't even know to talk about this," Mason scoffs, "I'd rather talk to you. Hazel would be a good option, considering she's a lesbian, but I'm not going to talk about it in front of your boyfriend. From what I've seen, guys tend to be more judgmental about it than girls overall."

 

Molly holds back a laugh at that, "You don't want to talk about it in there because you're afraid Hunter might be homophobic?"

 

"...I don't know," Mason murmurs, glancing back towards the house.

 

"Okay, one: I'm slightly offended," Molly says, "That you would even think I would date a homophobe. My dating history isn't great but I do have some standards. And two? Hunter was adopted by a gay couple when he was a teenager, after going through some pretty awful shit. He identifies as straight himself but his history is complicated. Out of everyone, he's probably going to judge you the least. He might even have some sound advice for you."

 

"...So, if I try talking to Hazel about it, he's not going to get weird?"

 

"I promise you. He's not going to get weird."

---------------------

Hazel is the one who ends up getting weird, but it's in the best way possible.

 

The four of them have sequestered themselves away in Molly's room, as if they are gossiping teenagers having a sleepover. It takes Mason a few more glasses of wine to tell Hazel what's going on, all while moaning and groaning about missing Ezra. But once the secret is out, Hazel claps and squeals into her hands as if she's been told the best secret in the world.

 

"Honestly, props, my sweet, little, sexually fluid pseudo-brother," Hazel says, coming over to bounce on the bed next to him, "I thought my gaydar was impeccable. Like, I knew Justin was gay before I even knew what gay was-"

 

"That really isn't hard," Molly points out but Hazel ignores her.

 

"But you? You? I thought you were straighter than Molly. I never would have assumed at all."

 

"That seems to be the consensus," Mason mumbles, taking a pillow to put his face in it, "I wish I could ignore it. I should be down in Miami doing body shots off of girls in bikinis."

 

"But you can't," Hazel says, smiling widely, "Because Ezra is there. And what's some random girl in a bikini when the man of your dreams is right there, making everyone else pale in comparison?"

 

"Stop rubbing it in my face!" Mason says into the pillow as Hazel tries to wax poetic about Ezra, despite being Kinsey 6 Gay and not meeting him once.

 

"I'm ready to just give them my room," Molly whispers to Hunter who is sitting beneath her on her office chair, "Let them be drunk and gay together. Maybe Hazel's pep will cheer Mason up and Mason's morosity will bring Hazel down, making them meet in the middle and chill the fuck out."

 

"It's entertaining though," Hunter says, watching the whole scene with amusement, "What else do we have to do but watch this disaster?"

 

Molly raises her eyebrows, "You better be fucking joking."

 

Hunter's eyes briefly cloud over with lust before he smirks, "I honestly have no recollection of any other planned activities. Maybe you should remind me of them. In detail."

 

Molly glances over at Mason and Hazel to make sure they are still preoccupied with Mason's identity crisis and lovesickness before leaning in and speaking softly into Hunter's ear, "Well, I was going to put on the nightie you got me and wait for you in bed."

 

"Go on."

 

"And I was going to take off your clothes, give you the best blowjob of your life-"

 

"Every blowjob you give me is the best blowjob of my life," Hunter huffs, but she can feel Hunter getting hard beneath her and if she happens to situate herself on his lap at that point? Oh well.

 

"And then," Molly says, nibbling on his earlobe as she continues to ignore the gay by gay breakdown going down behind her, "I'll sit on your dick, ride you, and not even take the nightgown off, like the top that I am-"

 

Hunter's rolling towards the door and she lets out a yelp before laughing as they spin and glide across the room. Hunter makes a grab for the doorknob and in the back of her mind, Molly's annoyingly logical inner voice is pointing out that there is a good chance her father is still up and will see Hunter rolling her down the hallway like a man on a mission. But before they can be on their way, Hazel's voice gets her thinking with her upstairs brain again.

 

"Molly! Bros over hoes!" Hazel calls out, gesturing towards her now glaring younger brother.

 

"Did your friend just call me a hoe?" Hunter asks.

 

"Well, you can be one sometimes," Molly points out, "Like right now."

 

"Hm, fair," Hunter concedes before lowering his voice, "Don't get off my lap right away."

 

Molly snorts, "I'm pretty sure my ass pressing against your big problem is just going to make it worse."

 

"But it will also hide it."

 

"If you say so," Molly says, but makes no move to stand up, "Okay. Hazel, I apologize for our indecency. Mason, what's on your mind?"

 

Mason seems lost in his own thoughts - or is trying to dissociate so he can't think about what Molly may or may not have tried to ditch him for - so Hazel speaks up.

 

"Your brother and I were just discussing how he might need some space from Ezra after his man comes back after the trip in order to sort out his thoughts and figure out how he wants to approach their growing relationship. But after this week, space is out of the question because Ezra is his roommate and has been since September."

 

Hunter makes a noise of disbelief, "You've been living together since September, have had feelings for each other for a year, and you've only had sex a few times?"

 

Mason throws himself on the bed, lying there, dejected, "A few times, everyday for the past few months, what difference does it make?"

 

"There's a little bit of a difference from a few times and every single day," Hunter says, trying not to laugh, "But I guess that's good, right? You're sleeping together consistently. You're doing it for the right reasons. Considering how fucked up you are over him, it's probably your feelings for him that keep you coming back for more. Or maybe he just has a magic dick, I don't know-"

 

"Wait, how is the sex?" Hazel asks, suddenly intrigued.

 

"Fucking amazing," Mason says, still sounding dejected, all while Molly cringes.

 

"Yayyyy!" Hazel says clapping her hands, "How long have you guys been doing it?"

 

"Since July 26th, 2014," Mason says, almost sounding like he's reminiscing. Gross.

 

"Oh, he has it bad," Hunter says in Molly's ear, "He remembers the date."

 

"He totally downplayed his relationship to me," Molly says quietly, shaking her head with both amusement and just a twinge of confusion and hurt, "He fucking made it sound like he just started experimenting with this guy and caught feelings recently. He has a full blown live-in boyfriend and I am just finding out now-"

 

"He was probably just feeling you out because he was scared to tell you," Hunter mutters under his breath, "Don't take it personally."

 

"I would have been excited as hell to hear about a boyfriend, especially one who calls him out on his shit," Molly says, before turning to look at Mason, "Why did you tell me that you only hooked up with him a few times when it is obvious that-"

 

"I'm talking!" Mason says, sitting up to glare at Hunter and Molly all while Hazel looks at them in disappointment. Molly isn't surprised. Hazel is always down for a gay love story, but so is Molly, hence her disappointment in Mason for not reaching out and saying anything sooner.

 

Mason clears his throat and continues, "Anyway, it was awesome. But then Dad called me a couple of days later. He sounded off and I sort of had a crisis because of that and the fact that I was in bed with a guy while I was talking to my father. So I left the trip we were on a few hours early and came here to see him for a few days. It didn't help. I kept my distance from Ezra for a couple of weeks when I came back. It was really shitty of me because we were becoming a couple by that point. We've been close friends since March and I knew - I fucking knew - my feelings and how much I wanted to be around him weren't normal in comparison to what I feel for literally anyone else. But I kept telling myself that it was just because I haven't had a best friend before."

 

Molly squints, "Mason, you have had best friends before. You've been friends with Kai since you moved in with Dad."

 

"It wasn't the same!" Mason insists, "Ezra is different."

 

"No shit," Hunter and Molly say in unison which earns them another glare.

 

"Okay, fine," Molly says, holding up her hands placatingly, "How did you figure it out?"

 

Mason lies back down and lets out a breath, "Well, the first thing was the fact that I wanted to kiss him after he took me out for my birthday. Then when I had a one night stand a week later, I only could think about him."

 

"That is really gay," Hazel agrees, nodding.

 

Mason sighs, "Well, at the time, I didn't know that. I thought it was just because I hadn't had a friend like him before."

 

"How did you get into Dartmouth again?" Hunter has to ask so Molly slaps him lightly on the arm with the back of her hand and holds back a laugh.

 

"And then, he threw a party for me and we both got really drunk and high on a strain called Love Potion," Mason continues, "When I was drunk, my feelings for him weren't that confusing. We ended up in his bed and...I don't know, we were kissing but never on the lips. And did something else, but I just thought it was a drunken friend moment or something."

 

"What was this something else?" Hazel asks, "Did you 69?"

 

"Hazel, stop-" Molly starts, but Hazel holds up her hand.

 

"No," Mason says, sounding honest enough.

 

"Jerk each other off?" Hazel guesses again while Mason just shakes his head, "Jerk off in bed together while making out?"

 

Mason sighs, "I told you we didn't make out. We were just kissing each other everywhere else. That's why it was confusing. I thought it was just a friend thing and he didn't see me that way."

 

"You both did something like that and you thought that it was just some weird, drunken moment between friends?" Hazel asks disbelievingly, "I don't know if that's funny or if you really don't think you deserve someone caring about you in that way."

 

Molly frowns when Mason just shrugs. Before she can check into his mindset at all, Mason continues, "A couple of weeks after that, he left work to come lie in bed with me because I wasn't feeling well. He held me and I let him because I wanted him to," Mason groans dramatically, "I want him to now. I miss him so much. He's so amazing. At everything, but in bed oh my god-"

 

 

"Mason," Molly prompts all while Hazel practically bounces on the bed in anticipation for details, "Remember that you are drunk. If you get side tracked, you will probably reveal things to me that you wouldn't say to your sister while sober."

 

Mason is silent for a few moments, as if he's trying to gather his thoughts and get back on track. Molly's not sure if he can. She hasn't seen him this drunk in a while. A drunk Mason can sometimes turn into an emotional Mason, but usually wine makes him happy. Tequila is the main culprit that gets Mason more like this. 

 

"You didn't give him Tequila, did you?" Molly asks, looking at Hunter and Hazel. Hunter just looks confused while Hazel immediately starts shaking her head because she knows exactly what she's talking about.

 

"After we got him drunk at our apartment when he was a junior in high school and he couldn't stop crying?" Hazel asks, "No. It was entertaining, but I would never give him that while he's already clearly upset and messed up."

 

"You both sound like Ezra," Mason says sadly, "Stop it. It's weird. He discourages me from drinking margaritas, even. He only approves of me drinking tequila if I am in like, an abnormally good mood."

 

"I'm sorry we sound like your boyfriend," Hazel says consolingly.

 

Mason still looks dejected, "I want to be with him. Forever. I have NEVER been this happy with someone. I don't think I will ever be happy with anyone else other than him. If we break up, I think I might die-"

 

"Oh, you do have it bad," Hazel says, strangely sounding both thrilled and empathetic regarding Mason's plight.

 

Mason nods miserably, "I do. And it's just gotten better. Or worse. No, better. Me being with Ezra is good."

 

"Yes, it's very good," Hazel says agreeably, "You are completely fucked up over him. It's entertaining. You don't even need tequila."

 

"Yeah," Molly says, "I don't think I have seen you this messed up over anyone. You could have TOLD me. I don't like that you were struggling about this. At all. You could have called me and had me meet you when you came down to see Dad after you and Ezra hooked up and you were having trouble."

 

"Some of our friends know," Mason says, sounding a little calmer, "It's never been a complete secret. Zane has known since the day after Ezra and I became a thing. All of the friends that were on that trip know too. They're all accepting and except for Zane, they all identify as gay or bi or non-binary or whatever. Well, not Hallie. I think she's asexual. She loves Ezra like a brother and seems to like me okay, but is kind of aggravated by everyone else. But I love her. I love all of them, even Pedro who I kind of despised at first. But I thought I was going to lose ALL of them when I kept my distance those first couple of weeks after I got back to Dartmouth. I thought they would hate me for it, but they understood. I was just trying to figure out my shit. I just knew I didn't want to live at the frat house anymore. Zane was moving in with his girlfriend Yas, who also knew, so if I stayed at the frat house then that meant I would have no one there and telling people except for the circle of people Ezra and I hang out with was too intimidating. So Dad got me a place when I told him I couldn't focus at the frat house anymore and that I really needed to be on my own. He wanted to get me an apartment on campus but I talked him into a house ten minutes away that is less expensive. I said that I wasn't living up to my true potential and felt stifled on campus because of all of the parties. I basically lied so that he would get me this place in the middle of the woods and so that I didn't have to be around the frat all of the time."

 

"No, you didn't," Hazel says, "Your gayness or bi-ness or whatever this is was TOTALLY stifled. You needed a place where you could be yourself. Maybe you weren't conscious of it, but you do realize that moving away from people you felt might not accept you even back then was a sign that you wanted to be yourself and with your man, right?"

 

"...Maybe," Mason gives her, "I asked Ezra to move in with me literally days after, so yeah. Probably. He was looking for a place and he had gotten hurt in an accident. He got hit by a car. The car drove off and he was left unconscious in the middle of the street."

 

"Oh my god," Molly says, sitting back in Hunter's lap, "Was he okay?"

 

"I mean, eventually," Mason says, "Never caught who did it, but other than a concussion, a couple of broken ribs, and a broken arm, he was okay physically. But his ex-roommate called me and said he was freaking out at the hospital and she told me what happened so I rushed over there. He was a mess. I guess concussions can make you really emotional? I don't know. He couldn't calm down because he wanted to leave. He was refusing treatment because he couldn't afford the bills and he knew his parents couldn't either, even with the health insurance that he had. I told him not to worry about it and tried to get him to relax. He couldn't stop crying, which isn't like him. At all. I said the bills would be handled and when he woke up, it would be taken care of. He listened to that, I guess, because he eventually fell asleep. While he was sleeping, I called Dad and begged him to take care of Ezra's bills. I told him Ezra's family is very poor and he's on all scholarships. I said that he's the closest friend I have ever had and that I would pay him back. None of it was a lie."

 

Molly blinks and despite feeling sad hearing what Ezra went through, she can't help but feel truly humored, "Mason, you had Dad pay for your gay lover's hospital bills. Just say it. It's not hard."

 

Mason scoffs, "Ezra is actually pan and probably has slept with more people than all of us combined, but okay. Anyway, he was really stressed and overwhelmed and I wanted him with me. We ended up talking things out before he agreed and I told him what I had been processing the couple of weeks I was down here. I told him I wanted to be with him but I wasn't ready to come out to everyone. But it's gotten a lot more serious. So...yeah. I'm with him, I only want to be with him, but no one really knew that except for some friends who are accepting and wouldn't say anything without our permission. Kai knows too. I told him while I was down here before. And Ezra's parents. They know. They're really accepting and nice people. I like them a lot. But uh...But now a lot more people know and it happened all at once. Someone must have saw me kiss him goodbye or something and word spread, so now all of Tri-Kappa knows and the whole lacrosse team knows. Some of them are being really supportive and are defending me. Ronnie has really gone out of his way to call some of the other guys out. Jackson too. But a lot of them are being fucking assholes every time I see them. I was constantly harassed last Lacrosse practice and came home, only to be a dick to Ezra because I was upset and Ezra got pissed off at me for that and for telling him I was backing out of the trip I had begged him to go on in the first place. So now I'm here."

 

"Aw, sweetie," Hazel coos, running her fingers through Mason's hair, "It'll be alright. Ezra will understand. He just needs time to cool down. As for those frat boy motherfuckers, they'll move on and if they don't, then they have some serious issues and probably lead boring lives. But back on topic, who's topping and who's bottoming-"

 

"Oh my god, Hazel, really?" Molly asks, already cringing over possibly hearing more about Mason's sex life.

 

Hazel gives her a look, "We are all adults here. We've all done it. Hunter and I might not know the pleasure of having a man in our bed but-"

 

"Speak for yourself," Hunter interrupts and honestly? Molly's shocked, fucking shocked that he would say otherwise. Molly doesn't care if he says it. He can tell whoever he wants about his past and she will fully support him and possibly become a raging bitch if the person gets weird about it, but she's just surprised.

 

"Woah...Wait a second," Hazel says in wonder, seeming to suddenly look at Hunter in a whole new light, "Hunter, are you bi?"

 

"Uh...no," Hunter says, suddenly looking a bit more hesitant, before glancing at Molly. It's not her story to tell, but if he wants to reveal anything she's not going to stop him. If he wants to straight up lie, then she will lie right along with him. Until then, she will stay quiet and just run her fingers through his hair to calm any unexpected nerves.

 

"Pan?" Hazel guesses again, "Or did you just have a sexually adventurous youth before devoting your heart to my best friend?"

 

"...I guess the third category would fit the most," Hunter answers, "And none of my experiences with men were pleasurable. I had a really bad childhood. My mom sold me to men by the time I was ten so that she could buy drugs. I ran away at fourteen and did what I had to do to survive. I guess I was willing with customers I got on my own, but I wasn't attracted to any of them. The opposite, actually. It was because I needed money. Then when I got taken in by my dads and adopted, I knew pretty quickly that I didn't like men at all. Maybe it was my bad experiences that made it so I wasn't attracted to guys, but I honestly didn't get the opportunity to think about who I liked until I started living with my parents. Before that, I was attracted to the promise of a meal in my stomach and that was about it until I felt safe enough to figure out who I was attracted to. Turned out to be women. Now, it's Molly specifically. Anyway, Mason, it's good that you have strong feelings for this guy. You're obviously attracted to him. You don't have to tell me what your sex life is like because those are the things that truly make it good. Alright, I'm finished. Tragic life story over."

 

It brings down the room. Molly's known Hunter's story for years and she feels like bursting into tears, clinging onto Hunter, and never letting go. Hazel is crying, probably due to the wine, just like Mason had been outside, but Molly also knows when Hazel is truly upset about something and she can see that this is one of those moments. Mason doesn't even seem to know what to say at first, but then clears his throat.

 

"That fucking sucks, man."

 

Hunter actually laughs at that, "Right?"

 

"Oh my god!" Hazel chokes out, wiping at her face, "And it more than sucks, Mason. You sound like a frat boy."

 

"I technically am a frat boy," Mason says slowly.

 

"But not in spirit!" Hazel insists before turning her attention back to Hunter, "Hunter, I'm sorry. I am sorry for assuming your sexual history and I am sorry for making you feel like you had to bring that up."

 

"Eh," Hunter shrugs, "It's okay. I've come to terms with it. I don't tell everyone, but it isn't some huge secret."

 

"Regardless, I'm sorry. Molly never said anything."

 

"It's not my story to tell," Molly points out, "It's Hunter's story. I would only tell someone if he wanted me to do it for him."

 

"Aw," Hunter says, smiling a little, "Molls, that's sweet."

 

"You're too tight lipped," Hazel says to Molly.

 

"Okay," Molly says, clearing her throat, "If you ever enter a relationship with Hunter, I promise to give some more of his personal backstory."

 

"Are you trying to pawn me off to your best friend?" Hunter asks, pinching her side to make her jump.

 

"Your lesbian best friend?" Hazel adds, looking positively scandalized.

 

"...Nah," Molly decides, looking at Hunter again before leaning down to press her forehead against his.

 

"...Good," Hazel says, before letting out a laugh, "Well, I guess Molly and I are the boring ones, only ever sleeping with one gender."

 

"Oh," Molly says lifting her head back up, "I slept with a girl named June Rhodes while I was doing my internship with the CDC. We went down on each other and everything."

 

"God, Molly!" Mason grits out, horrified even though she has had to hear about his love life all night, "Stop it."

 

"Wait, what? WHAT?!" Hazel says way too loudly, "You slept with a girl and you didn't fucking tell me?"

 

"Meh," Molly shrugs, "I was too excited about discovering that biochemical marker-”

 

“The biochemical marker that a fucking cunt of a doctor claims he discovered so that he could take all the fame and money for himself, just because you were his intern and that means that you weren’t allowed to collect?” Hazel fumes, “Don’t piss me off more.”

 

“Well…there wasn’t that much fame and money. But yes, he’s a cunt,” Molly says, then gets back on topic, “Anyway, if I had enjoyed it more, I might have told you. It just wasn't my thing. The whole thing felt weird and awkward, even with the alcohol included. I don't think I could have gone through with it if I had been sober. But I did it just to say that I did it."

 

"You slept with a girl just to say that you did it, didn't fucking say it to me, and on top of all that, you didn't let me have first dibs on your lesbian virginity?"

 

"I'm sorry," Molly says, rolling her eyes, "I'd offer you second dibs but we are both involved with other people."

 

"Sucks for you, Hazel," Hunter says, "Molly is phenomenal in bed."

 

"Of course she is," Hazel says, "She's an overachiever. This is a well-known fact. I wouldn't be so torn up otherwise. But I guess it's official. I'm the boring one."

 

"What about Jerome?" Hunter asks.

 

Molly can't keep her excitement down about Jerome and apparently, neither can Hazel.

 

"Jerome is dating a gorgeous, and I mean GORGEOUS, woman," Molly informs him.

 

"So hot," Hazel confirms, "Her name is Rubina and she's from India. If she didn't only have eyes for Jerome and I wasn't engaged, I would fuck her."

 

"Rubina is trans. She's extremely open about it," Molly continues, "Her parents were very supportive and let her do hormone therapy and vocal lessons young and helped pay for surgeries."

 

"You wouldn't know by looking at her or hearing her that she's trans," Hazel says, "But even if you could suspect it, she would be just as hot. It's about the way she carries herself. The way she walks, her confidence, her demeanor, everything."

 

"Jerome never dated a trans woman before," Molly says, "Always CIS women. I don't know if he ever met a transperson before Rubina. But he saw her, and it was like love at first sight. She told him on the first official date. She wanted to get it out of the way in case he was an asshole, but Jerome is open-minded and a good guy. He didn't care. He saw her for who she was and now they are desperately in love."

 

"Which is why I am apparently the boring, unisexual one," Hazel concludes, "I mean, Jerome is still straight and you both are too, but you all have depth due to your experiences, especially Jerome because he's with an amazing goddess of a woman."

 

"Goddess," Molly confirms.

 

"Molly, are you sure you aren't a little gay?" Mason huffs, looking more amused than he has all night.

 

"For Rubina?" Molly says, unwrapping one arm from around Hunter to get her phone, "Maybe."

 

And soon enough, after she and Hazel pull up Rubina's modeling pictures to show the guys, she's made her point.

 

"Okay, I understand now," Hunter says, whistling as he goes through Rubina's pictures, "You're hotter, but barely."

 

"That is the nicest thing you've ever said to me," Molly smiles, then kisses him on the lips.

 

"...Yeah," Mason says eventually, looking at the pictures on Hazel's phone, "She's pretty hot."

 

"You can't stop thinking about Ezra long enough to appreciate anyone's beauty, can you?"

 

"Fuck my life," Mason groans, lying back down.

 

"Speaking of your life, let's get back on topic," Hazel says, "Your sex life. We can all tell you're really enjoying it but are you using enough lube-"

 

"Wow," Mason says, turning his head to stare at Hazel, "You've really been holding on to that question, even through Hunter's shitty life story and you two circlejerking over Rubina, haven't you?"

 

"I thought I might get her off track by bringing up my shitty life story. I'll admit I'm impressed," Hunter says, "Sorry, man. I tried."

 

Mason nods, "It means a lot that you tried. The fact that you did officially makes you the best boyfriend Molly has ever had. Not that the bar is set that high."

 

Molly glares at that and points at the door, "Get out of my room."

 

"Thanks, it means a lot anyway," Hunter says more nicely as he reaches up to pull down Molly's arm.

 

Before they have more time to bicker or interrogate anyone about anything else, there's a knock on the bedroom door and the four turn their heads to perk up and look.

 

"Your boner down?" Molly whispers, smirking as Hunter rolls his eyes at her.

 

"It's manageable."

 

With that confirmation, Molly gets up to answer the door, only needing to assure Mason quickly that their dad probably hadn't heard shit before answering the door.

 

"Hey, Dad," Molly says, greeting the man in the doorway, "Everything okay? We weren't being too loud, were we?"

 

"No, and everything's fine," her dad says, "I just wanted to see if Hazel wanted me to make the bed in the guest room or if she needs me to help get her car back home. I'm probably going to bed soon."

 

"Hunter and I can do it-"

 

"Molly, you have to be exhausted. You've driven three hours a day every day this week. You driving so far on barely any sleep is making me nervous. You need to get some rest. You too, Mason."

 

"I'll sleep when I'm dead," Mason says, lying back down on Molly's bed in contradiction.

 

"Which won't be long from now if you keep pulling all-nighters like you did last night to get here," their dad points out.

 

Hunter stands up and walks towards the bedroom door, "Your dad is right, Molly. Get some rest. We'll be back in a bit. Craig, we can start moving cars so that we can get Hazel's and Molly's out."

 

With that, Hunter presses a quick kiss to Molly's cheek and follows her dad down the hall.

 

"I'll meet you there in five!" Hazel calls out, before turning her attention back to Mason.

 

"Alright, quick rundown," Hazel says, "One: Stop being so freaked out. If it's a label thing, just don't take one. You can be Mason and that will be that. Two: Communicate productively with Ezra. You're in love with him and everyone can see that, plus he's your roommate. You need to get on the same page. And three: if you decide to come out as anything, we are all behind you. You heard how diverse our circle is. We've got you."

 

"He's worried about how Dad might react," Molly says softly, looking down at her brother, "Because of what happened with Justin."

 

Hazel nods in understanding, "You should talk to Justin then. Bond as brothers, even though you guys are basically total strangers. It would be heartwarming."

 

"Maybe it can be a New Year's resolution," Mason mutters, "Until then, no."

 

"Stubborn ass bitch," Hazel sighs fondly, ruffling Mason's hair, "You know, I called Justin when I decided to come out to people. He helped me some. Told me what not to do and what not to take to heart. I came up with my own approach though. It doesn't work on my fiance's parents, unfortunately, but it has worked on close to everyone else. When I started coming out to people, I acted like I had the best secret in the world to tell them. With some people, that was enough, my happiness was contagious enough to get them to accept it. With some others, if they started to bring me down, I just got more excited and said, 'Oh, stop!' as if they were just being ridiculous. Which they were. And eventually? I made them accept me by forcing them into submission with my enthusiasm."

 

"You're such a freak," Mason whispers, shaking his head.

 

"It worked with your dad," Hazel says, "I bumped into him at the movie theater freshman year, and I enthusiastically introduced him to my first girlfriend. He accepted it and he said today that he would come to my wedding."

 

"It probably worked with him only because you're not his kid."

 

"Maybe so," Hazel says, "But he seems to have changed. If things with Ezra get serious and you can't feasibly hide his existence from your parents, then just take my method into consideration. Now, I have to get my gay ass home to my gay ass fiance. Love you both!"

 

Kissing them both goodbye, Hazel walks out into the hall and leaves Molly and Mason alone.

------

“I understand why you are so protective when it comes to Molly now.”

 

The words come from Hazel and Hunter glances over towards the passenger seat to see the woman with her head pressed against the window, watching the highway pass by in a blur.

 

“Because I’m her boyfriend?”

 

Hazel huffs out a laugh, “Yeah, there’s that. And that you’re in love with her. You’re as obvious about that as Mason is about being in love with his roommate. But…with Seth and even me telling you about Will, how angry you got…some of it probably comes from your past, right? You being hurt the way Seth and Will tried to hurt Molly? Feel free to tell my drunk self to shut up at any time, by the way.”

 

Hunter’s not going to do that. He’s not going to tell Molly’s best friend to shut up over this, even though it is technically in his right to do so. He’s gotten to the point where he can talk a little bit about it now. Granted, being in the city where it all happened while talking about it might not be best for his psyche, but if it means getting Molly’s best friend in the world to trust that he’s not going to let anything happen to her – that he will never hurt her they way that two men tried to hurt her before, the way that he had been hurt himself - then fine.

 

“Yeah, some of it comes from my past,” Hunter says, and he can feel Hazel watching him now, “Probably more than I am even aware of. I…I know what that feels like. And how you become after. How angry you get and how hard it is to let people in. I don’t want to see that happen to her. The fact that it almost did twice makes me feel sick.”

 

Hazel is quiet for a moment, as if she’s pondering her words, before she answers him, “You fucking made it big, dude. You grew up homeless and abused and you got a family and made yourself a success. You’re an inspirational badass.”

 

“Okay, sure,” Hunter has to chuckle but Hazel stops him.

 

“No, I mean it. I really do. Listen, before today, if you put Molly with any guy in the world, I would have said that they were the lucky ones. But Molly might be the lucky one this time."

 

“No,” Hunter says seriously, “I’m the lucky one still, believe me. I’ve had girls get really put off by my past. There’s some stuff in there that I didn’t reveal tonight. I’ve never revealed more than I have to Molly and even she doesn’t know all of it. I had one girlfriend before her who was pretty great about it, don’t get me wrong, but I could tell it made her uncomfortable when I tried to talk about it in more detail. Molly doesn’t judge me for it at all. She doesn’t try to shut down the conversation if I’m dwelling on something from my past and it comes up, she encourages me to talk about it even. She’s…She’s not scared of any of it. And that’s probably an absolute first for me.”

 

“The fact that you recognize that and appreciate her so much still tells me how lucky she is.”

 

“Well,” Hunter says, pulling off at the exit, “It means a lot that you think that. I just wish she felt like she could talk to me about what she went through more.”

 

Hazel lets out a sigh, “Like I said, it’s impressive that you know as much as you do about Seth. Her telling you as much as she has without him actively coming after you means a lot. And whatever else she is keeping from you – from both of us – it is like you said. She wants to protect us. It’s fucking sad, but probably necessary in her eyes. Turn right here. My house is on the left.”

 

Hunter turns left on Jacksonia Street and passes Randyland before pulling up to Hazel’s house, “You live in the most colorful neighborhood in Pittsburgh. Lucky you.”

 

“Coolest name too,” Hazel says, “Mexican War Streets. When I go out of town and I’m asked where I’m from, I don’t even say Pittsburgh. It’s always Mexican War Streets. It makes me feel tougher than I am and I always gets a reaction. You should try it sometime.”

 

“I can't. I mainly grew up in Homewood,” Hunter reveals to her.

 

Hazel looks horrified, then pats his hand, “Oh my god, you poor baby. I just want to take care of you.”

 

Hunter scoffs, “And then I lived in East Liberty with my dads before we moved to Millvale. I promise, I got something close to a middle-class upbringing eventually.”

 

“And then moved to LA to become a powerful Hollywood bigshot.”

 

“You are confusing me for Martin Scorsese or something, I know it.”

 

“You’re an Oscar-winning, bushy eyebrowed, short, Italian, grey haired, Hollywood bigshot. Adorable in a grandpa way. Molly is so lucky to have you. You are such an inspiration.”

 

Before Hunter can even try to come up with a response to that, there’s a knock on Hazel’s passenger window. Hunter looks over and sees a petite, fit woman with a shaved head, smooth brown skin, and dark brown eyes peering in.

 

“My love!” Hazel sings, rolling down her window, “I missed you!”

 

Samira looks amused by Hazel, going by how she rolls her eyes before pressing a kiss to Hazel’s forehead, before looking past her fiancé to get a better look at Hunter.

 

“This him?” Samira asks, gesturing towards him.

 

“Yes, this is Hunter,” Hazel says, “The love of Molly’s life. I think he’s an Oscar Winner or something. I could have sworn he said that.”

 

“I didn’t,” Hunter snorts, “I won an Independent Spirit Award, but don’t bring it up to my family. They won’t shut up about it and it’s been two years. I gave them the damn award because I was sick of hearing about it, which made me sick of seeing it.”

 

“Hunter,” Hazel sighs, “I am trying to manifest your Oscar win into existence. You are interrupting my process.”

 

Hazel touches her temples and begins to hum, “Hunter will win an Oscar. Hunter will be Molly’s date to my wedding. Hunter will propose to Molly in the most over-the-top, romantic, and fantastic way but NOT AT MY WEDDING because that’s rude and he will let my mom tailor the tuxes and dress of his wedding party-

 

“Oh, great. She’s at the portion of her drunkenness where she thinks she can will facts into existence.”

 

“Okay, Samira, it’s called self-fulfilling prophecy and it’s actually a thing,” Hazel says, seeming to believe this whole-heartedly, “And while I’m not doing it for myself, I’m doing it for Hunter, because he’s a keeper.”

 

“It’s probably a bit soon for a few of those things, but if Molly invites me as her date, I will be glad to come in,” Hunter says stepping out of the car to hand the keys over to Samira, “I’m shooting a movie in July but this shoot is giving us the weekends off.”

 

“I’ll text her and demand that she bring you,” Hazel says, then steps out of the car herself, before throwing her arms around Samira’s shoulders to kiss her on the nose. When Samira turns around, she meets Hunter’s eyes and waves, “It was nice meeting you, man. Maybe the four of us can meet up this weekend or down in Morgantown.”

 

“Five of us,” Hazel corrects, “Mason is in! And oh my god, that child is so interesting right now. Also, we should invite Jerome and Rubina. And Gabrielle and Gretchen! Hunter knows them, he knows them, just like we do. We could have known Hunter for two years and we didn’t.”

 

Samira just stares up at her fiancé, shakes her head, then says, “Come on. I made you a sandwich. Let’s sober you up and bring you down a notch. Thanks for bringing her home, Hunter! I mean it.”

 

“Not a problem,” Hunter says over his shoulder, before getting into the passenger seat of Craig’s car. As soon as he settles in and gets his seatbelt on, he sees Craig watch Samira and Hazel head into the house before turning the keys in the ignition.

 

“She get a little less peppy in the car?” Craig asks as he drives down Jacksonia.

 

Hunter shrugs, “Maybe a little bit. She was on a high again as soon as she saw Samira’s face though.”

 

“Yeah,” Craig says, nodding, “…That’s good. I’m glad she’s happy. She’s a good friend to Molly. Always has been.”

 

“Yeah,” Hunter agrees, smiling a little, “She’s a good friend.”

---------------------------------

Hunter briefly runs into Mason when going to the bathroom to brush his teeth and wash his face and the kid frankly looks exhausted. Hunter’s not surprised. From driving all night to openly having a drunken sexuality crisis for two hours, Hunter isn’t surprised. But Mason does mumble a “Thanks for talking to me” and a “Good night” and that’s…that’s actually sort of sweet.

 

But any tenderness in his heart turns into straight up uncontrollable lust when he goes to Molly’s room, closes the door, and sees her lying on the bed in a nightgown. No, let Hunter correct himself - the nightgown. And his imagination didn’t do that piece of clothing justice. Ivory in color, it barely covers the top of her thighs, and primarily made of lace so that he can see her breasts through the fabric and fuck, he’s hard already.

 

Best. Purchase. Ever.

 

Hunter tries not to run over to the bed, but he does throw himself on top of her as he gives her a passionate kiss before peppering kisses all over her face as she lets out a breathless laugh. He makes his way down her neck and focuses on her tits for a while, pulling down the fabric gently to suck and nip at her nipples as she starts to moan. She loves having her breasts played with. He learned that when they first hooked up. One day, he is going to make her orgasm just by massaging and sucking them. He doesn't care if it takes hours. It would be a fucking treat for him too.

 

“Hunter, please…”

 

“What do you want?” he murmurs, coming back up to kiss her jaw, before holding himself over her. Molly reaches up to pull his shirt off. He takes the hint quickly and helps her out by pulling it over his head and tossing it to the side of the room. She runs her hands down his bare back before reaching down to undo his jeans, pushing them down his legs along with his boxer briefs. Hunter kicks them completely off, removes his socks, then has less clothing than Molly has on. Before Hunter can make a sarcastic quip, something along the lines of, ‘What next, madame?’ Molly is reaching down and stroking dick, which soon has him breathing through his nose and putting his head down to rest it on her collarbone.

 

“Fuck, Molly,” he gasps out. He reaches down beneath the nightgown, he presses his thumb against her clit and thrusts two of his fingers inside of her to stroke her g-spot. She’s so fucking wet and she’s meeting his fingers thrust for thrust as she breathes out a whimper. He captures her lips in a kiss and as soon as their lips part, she brushes the tip of her tongue over his top lip as she whispers out her demand of “Fuck me.” He has had women say it to him before – hell, way back when, he had disgusting older men say it before – but it never sounded as hot as she makes it sound. The words coming from her mouth alone could possibly make him come if he wasn’t so set on making this last.

 

He reaches over with his free hand, digs into her nightstand, and gets one of the many Trojans they had bought on Sunday at Target, along with the nightgown and some more appropriate and professional attire that has no place in this room at the moment. Right now, there are only a few things that matter: the nightgown staying on throughout all of this because Molly had the audacity to turn him on so much with the idea a couple of hours ago, getting a condom on his dick, and getting his dick inside of Molly because it doesn’t want to be anywhere else.

 

The condom glides on without a hitch and Hunter positions himself between Molly’s thighs, reaching down to guide himself into her. As soon as he is surrounded by her tight, wet heat, he lets out a groan. Molly’s arms circle around his waist and pull him closer, as if she’s inviting him go as deeply as he can inside of her. When Molly’s hips start to move, it lets Hunter know she’s ready for him to do the same and he finds a good rhythm that has her wrapping herself around him tightly and crying out sounds that Hunter mercifully muffles with his hand until she get can a little bit of a grip and not wake up anyone in the house. When Molly is able to get fucked properly without getting too vocal, Hunter takes his hand off her mouth. But before he can put his hand back on the bed, Molly interlaces her fingers with his for a moment – staring at them as if she’s in a trance – then lets them go to lift her head up just enough to cover his mouth with her own. His fingers are now tangled in Molly’s hair as he reaches up to hold her face and return the kiss with every ounce of what he’s feeling. It’s a kiss unlike any other he’s had. It’s dirty and obscene but somehow sweet and loving. He doesn’t know how it is working like that, he just knows that it does and it’s all-consuming.

 

"I'm going to come," Molly pants heavily as soon as their kiss ends, only to stifle a groan against the back of her hand as Hunter reaches down to massage her clit, "Fuck, I told you I was going to ride you tonight. Be on top. Now I just want you to fuck me as hard as you can, oh my god oh my god-"

 

Hunter huffs out a laugh as Molly starts breathing heavily, then wraps his arms underneath hers, which allows him to thrust more forcefully. It turns out to be the right move because a litany of approval and appreciation fall off of Molly's tongue as Hunter begins to slam into her wet heat. He feels her walls constrict around him and she wraps her arms around his shoulders tightly as she gasps out her release. Her muscles tightening around his dick are what send him over the edge at the same time, and soon he finds himself coming so hard that he's seeing spots until he collapses on Molly. Even though there is nothing else he would rather do than stay inside of her, he pulls out, ties off the condom, and rests his forehead against the side of her neck.

 

"That was…" Molly starts, letting one of her fingers dance against his shoulder as she comes down, "Holy shit. I don't even have words to describe it. Your dick made me dumb."

 

Hunter lets out an almost hysterical laugh against her collarbone, "So eloquent. Sheer poetry."

 

"What, would you like it in French?" Molly asks.

 

"Yes," Hunter says seriously, lifting his head up because he honestly thinks there is nothing else he would rather hear.

 

Molly snorts but then gets a mocking lustful expression on her face, "Ta bite m'a rendu stupide."

 

"...That was the hottest thing I have ever heard in my life."

 

"Mmhmm, I'm sure," Molly says, smiling.

 

Seriously," Hunter continues, lifting his head up more to look down at her as his arms rest on each side of her head, "When I drove Hazel home, she started to try to will things into existence."

 

"Damn, she was doing that again? She was even drunker than I thought."

 

"Girl was wasted but didn't slur once. It was impressive," Hunter shrugs, beginning to twirl Molly's hair around his fingers, "Anyway, if it works as much as she claims it does, apparently I am going to win an Oscar, despite not really wanting one."

 

"Well, obviously," Molly says, "You are the best DP under thirty. Of course you are winning one. And bullshit, you would be excited."

 

"And then she told the universe that you would bring me as a date to her wedding."

 

"If you want to come and can come in that weekend, then I would love to bring you. She already texted me, demanding that you come as my date anyway."

 

"Then," Hunter goes on, "She said I was going to propose to you in an over-the-top, romantic, and fantastic way. I wonder how public I can make it-"

 

"I would literally die of embarrassment," Molly says, surprisingly blushing, as if the mere thought flusters her, "If we ever do get to that point and you end up doing that, you won't even get a yes or a no, because I will be dead."

 

"Well, damn, that will suck for me," Hunter says, before getting an ornery glint in his eye, "But if you do survive and you do say yes, then at the altar, when we say our handwritten vows-"

 

"Gross."

 

"-About how we came to be, the turning points in our relationship, and why we are dedicating the rest of our lives together, you only have to say, 'Your dick made me dumb.' But in French. Obviously."

 

"Obviously," Molly agrees, but then smiles warmly and sweetly and Hunter has to wonder if she feels his heart pounding as much as he feels it, if she can sense that he's seconds away from saying 'I love you'. Because he does. He really fucking does. And he wants to say it. If he has a moment like this on their trip next week, the kind where he is overwhelmed with everything he feels for her, then he's just going to. For now, he's going to hold back.

 

"Well, it won't come as a surprise to Justin if you do kill me, via embarrassing proposal," Molly says out of the blue, and his confusion must be apparent because she clarifies, "He called while you were gone. Apparently, Brian - of all people - told him that we are a thing a few days ago."

 

"Brian?" Hunter says, "Damn. I wasn't expecting that. Although I guess I should have been since he's best friends with my dad. I guess he did end up blabbing. Unless it was Ted. I ran into him on Monday at the store and asked why I was in Pittsburgh, so I told him I was in to see my girlfriend. He asked what my girlfriend's name is and I told him, then he put it together himself. We don't have to go though."

 

Molly shrugs, "Let's go. Why not? Everyone is going to know by now anyway. I don't think Justin is going to be quiet about it. He was grilling me."

 

"Hm," Hunter hums, putting his head back down, "In a good way or a bad way?"

 

"More a 'what the fuck, how did this happen' kind of way."

 

"Understandable," Hunter says, "I think that all the time when it comes to you. But it's more, 'What the fuck, how did I get so lucky?'"

 

Hunter glances at her then and Molly's eyes soften, their lips meet again - more chaste than any other kiss they've shared in the last hour, but just as good. When they part, Molly rubs her nose against his.

 

"I think the exact same thing."

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed the lighter portions of this chapter and the fleshing out of the OCs! Please review!