- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Molly surprises Hunter on his birthday. 

February 2015

Molly can’t help it when she finds herself glancing around different stores for a birthday present for Hunter. They’ve talked and talked almost every single day for over two months, she knows things about him he hasn’t told anyone. He knows things about her. So why, WHY has she has she been so stumped on this?

 

What do 28 year old guys like anyway? Is it something she can google?

 

She pulls out her phone to do just that, and only comes up with wallets and chocolate.

 

She could give him an experience of some type. Shop around online to give him a certificate to a spa so he can relax and get a massage or pay for an activity of some type. Like hang gliding or ziplining or skydiving. He likes doing that kind of stuff. She followed him on Instagram and went way too far back to look at his pictures. He likes doing adventurous stuff, going on trips to mountainous or scenic places to hike and snowboard. He likes live music, coffee, and experimenting with cameras and editing.

 

She should get creative with this. Hunter is a creative type. She’s not, not really, but can appreciate people who are.

 

Like her brother. Maybe she could ask him for advice.

 

The thought of his potential reaction whenever she fesses up and tells him she’s been talking to Hunter and fucked him when she was in last makes her laugh out loud.

 

“Sorry,” Molly mutters when the cashier gives her a bewildered glance.

 

When she gets back to her apartment, she gets on her computer to look up some ideas. She knows Hunter likes Skydiving. God, by the looks of his social media, he’s done it at least a dozen times over the past year, if not more. Fucking nut. It’s a little expensive. But it’s doable and there’s even a groupon for it. It’s something he would probably like.

 

So she pays for it, makes note of the confirmation number. She can send the certificate in the mail tomorrow.

 

She doesn’t know what makes her look at flights leaving from Pittsburgh to Los Angeles his birthday weekend. Maybe because it is a long weekend, with having Thursday and Friday off and not going back till Wednesday, something they’re now calling “Midwinter Recess.” Molly doesn’t remember having that in school at all, but she’s not complaining about having it now when she is finding herself going through and checking off her luggage options and picking out her seat.

 

When the ticket prints out from her wifi printer, she knows she should have asked Hunter. That he might be put off by the fact she just invited herself over to his condo.

 

Whatever. What’s done is done. He seems like the type of guy who likes surprises, has brought up multiple times that she should visit. If he doesn’t seem into it, she can get a hotel for the night, fly back, and cry about it when she gets home.

 

And if he is into her coming in? Then she can’t wait to see the smile on his face.

------------------------------------

Molly lets out the breath she didn’t know she was holding when the final bell rings. She gathers her own things, walks her class to the gymnasium so that they can wait for their buses, and waves goodbye to them before starting to walk out the front door. It takes an hour and twenty minutes to drive to the airport without traffic. Her flight leaves at 6:30 pm and she has a one hour layover in Chicago. As long as there are no delays, she should get to Hunter’s a few minutes before midnight, just in time for his birthday to officially start. All of her things are packed and in the back of her car. Every paper she needs is right in her glove compartment. She should be okay-

 

“Miss Taylor?”

 

Molly closes her eyes and lets out a breath, before turning around.

 

“Hi, Principal Skinner!” she tries to greet cheerfully, despite the fact she hates the man.

 

The way the man smirks as his eyes flick down and then up at her body, all superior, predatory, sexual...she just really hates him.

 

“I just wanted to tell you that your request for new equipment finally got approved for the school board. The new technology should be implemented in the classrooms in about a month,” he mentions, taking a breath, “Also some of your extracurriculars too. The Robotics Club, Exploration Club, and Space Club? The budgets, potential field trips, and tools needed? All approved.”

 

For the first time, Molly actually feels excitement and happiness spawn from words coming out of Principal Skinner’s mouth.

 

“That’s great!” Molly exclaims, secretly feeling joy at the sight of Skinner’s forced smile and hard expression, “The kids are going to love it, I promise you. There are several kids in my class, Mrs. Howard’s, Mr. McGinnis’s, and Ms. Prescott’s who are all really into science and I think this will get them really passionate about it. As soon as school starts back up on Wednesday, I will do everything I can to get the first meetings started the week after.”

 

That’s when Principal Skinner does that smirk again, that smirk that makes her skin crawl and her stomach just slightly sick, especially when she’s alone with him.

 

“I was actually thinking you could come in tomorrow and Friday. I would meet you here and we spend those days planning everything in my office, just you and me.”

 

Okay, her stomach feels more than slightly sick now.

 

“...You know, I would,” Molly tells him, instinctively taking one step back, “But I am actually taking advantage of the long weekend and going on a trip. I won’t be back until Tuesday. But, I could meet you on our lunch breaks or after school. And I’m sure the other intermediate grade teachers would want to be there as well. This is going to be a big and revolutionary change for the science program here.”

 

“But it was your idea,” Principal Skinner tells her, stepping forward, “I really don’t need the input from the other teachers when I can just have yours.”

 

Molly stares him in the eye and forces a smile, “If they’re going to be working with the programs and tools in the classroom as well as helping me run the clubs, then I want them there. Thank you for your enthusiasm. But I need to be going. My flight leaves in a few hours.”

 

Molly begins to turn and goes to her car, but freezes when Principal Skinner puts a hand on her shoulder and gently rubs her collarbone with the pads of his fingers.

 

“You know, I’m sure the school board would love to hear I gave you an immediate opening to work on these programs, only for you to put it off.”

 

Molly grits her teeth at that, before turning around, “I’m sorry to disappoint you, Principal Skinner, but I made these plans in advance and you are just telling me about the school board’s decision now. I want to help these kids. I wouldn’t have fought so hard for this if I didn’t. But I have plane tickets bought and only a few days to spend some time with a man who means a lot to me. Again, I apologize. I will have no issues exchanging emails with you until Wednesday, we can start a G Chat with other staff members. I’ll send you the updated lesson plans, experiments, everything I have. But I really do have to go.”

 

Skinner is glaring at her when she finishes, before gritting out, “Have a nice weekend, Molly.”

 

The way he says her name though, it sounds like if it is almost an insult. Whatever.

 

“He’s been a creep for years,” she hears from behind her after Skinner leaves, only to see Ms. Prescott, “He fired one new teacher several years back for um...rejecting his advances. She fought the issue with the school board, but the school board-”

 

“Took his side because his brother is the superintendent?” Molly guesses, glancing over at her, “I’m honestly surprised they approved my proposals.”

 

“Especially with you being so new,” Ms. Prescott adds, “If it means anything, I like you and think you’re doing a great job. Duke probably likes your performance too, even though you showed him up with this battle. But, with you being so pretty and smart, he’s thinking with his dick.”

 

“Gross. He’s like my dad’s age,” Molly shudders, before turning around, “I was telling the truth when I told him I really have to go though. But you do know that I think you’re great too, Ms. Prescott.”

 

Ms. Prescott, bless her heart, eagerly asks, “Oh, are you finally visiting that boy? The way you talk about him...your relationship is a little unconventional but you sounded so taken with him.”

 

Molly huffs out an amused laugh, “Yes, I’m seeing that boy. It’s his birthday. Enjoy your break, alright?”

 

“Will do, sweetheart!”

 

Molly finally manages to get in her car at that point and goes just a little over the speed limit to make up with the initial delays in the parking lot. She’s ridiculously lucky that she doesn’t hit traffic and makes it to the airport with time to spare. Everything is straight forward. She checks in her luggage, goes through security, finds her seat without issue, and the plane takes off as scheduled. There are no hiccups, they don’t crash on the way to Chicago or from Chicago to Los Angeles. She even arrives at LAX ten minutes sooner than the estimated time.

 

She had expected something, something telling her that this thing with Hunter isn’t meant to be, that it would just be bad for her, something telling her to go back. But everything fell into place.

 

She gets an Uber to his apartment, knows his address because she told him she wanted to send him a card, something Hunter seems to think is adorable for her to do. Fucker.

 

She gets her suitcase and carry-on from the back, waves at the driver with a smile, before taking a breath and walking up to the gate.

 

She really had wanted this to be more of a surprise. Arrive at his door with a knock while she’s on the phone with him, have him open it and drop his phone to the ground-

 

“Hey, are you one of the new tenants?”

 

Molly turns around to find a young blonde woman, probably an actress, coming up to her with a friendly smile on her face, pulling out her key card.

 

“Actually, yeah,” she lies, smiling brightly back, “Haven’t been around much, just came back from visiting family and I can’t find my key card for the life of me. Probably tucked into a suitcase pocket-”

 

“No worries!” the woman exclaims, touching her card against the scanner so that the gate unlocks, “I’m Scarlett, 15C.”

 

“Uh, Molly,” she answers, shaking Scarlett’s hand, “10A.”

 

“You’ll really like it here, Molly. The pools and hottubs are really well kept the people are friendly. Even though we are in different complexes, maybe I will see you around!”

 

“Of course,” Molly grins, before stepping through, “I’ll see you around!”

 

“Bye!” Scarlett calls out, before heading in the other direction.

 

Molly glances around, relieved to find a sign directing her to the “A” Complex, then looks at the signs on the building to figure out where 10A is. She lets out a breath when she finds Hunter’s door, sees that his light is on, and gets out her iPhone.

 

“Hey,” he answers after two rings, “How was your day? And, damn, why are you up?”

 

“It was good,” Molly answers, biting back a grin before shifting to the side when she sees a shadow pass by Hunter’s curtains, “I couldn’t sleep and besides, I wanted to call you a few minutes before your birthday officially started. Why aren’t you out doing anything?”

 

“I went out and had a couple of drinks after we wrapped up filming at 8,” Hunters yawns, “I’ll probably do something tomorrow or this weekend. We just had a really early start today and it isn’t like 28 is an important birthday anyway.”

 

“Sure it is,” Molly tells him, before taking the phone away from her ear quickly to check the time - 11:58 pm.

 

“Whatever,” Hunter snorts, “So seriously, what did you do today? Or yesterday. ”

 

“Well, one of my students made a really cool project for himself and showed me because he wanted to see what I thought,” Molly says, foregoing her suitcase to make less noise as she walks closer to the door, “Also, Principal Skinner informed me that the school board approved the new clubs and updated curriculums I proposed.”

 

“That’s great!” Hunter exclaims, genuinely happy for her, “I knew you would be able to do it.”

 

“Skinner wasn’t happy,” she informs him.

 

“Fuck Skinner.”

 

“That’s probably exactly what the fucking creep wants,” Molly mutters bitterly.

 

As Hunter starts to press her on what she’s talking about, Molly pulls her phone away from her face again, just as 11:59 pm becomes 12:00 am. Molly takes a breath, quickly puts her phone on mute then keeps it to her ear as she knocks before taking it off mute.

 

“Hold on, there’s someone at my door,” Hunter tells her, “Probably Quinn forgetting his key. Or kidnapping me for some random celebration. Maybe I shouldn’t answer.”

 

“Aw, go see what he wants,” she murmurs.

 

Hunter lets out a groan and Molly braces herself as she hears Hunter’s footsteps approach the other side of the door before swinging it open.

 

“Qui…” Hunter starts to say but the name dies on his lips as his eyes grow big and his jaw drops.

 

“Happy birthday!” she greets, before peeking in to look at the other side of his door, “Dude, do you even know how to use a peephole? I could have been an axe murderer for all you kn-”

 

Before she knows it, Hunter has yanked her inside and slammed the door closed behind her, before pushing her against it to bring her into a searing, bruising kiss. They don’t even say a word for a few minutes, just make out like horny teenagers. Molly is honestly surprised that they don’t fuck then and there, although she doubts Hunter has a condom within arm’s reach.

 

“You…” Hunter gets out in a heaving breath, “You flew across the country...just for my birthday.”

 

“Yeah. I guess I did,” Molly shrugs, before nuzzling her face in his neck as he pulls her close.

 

“My suitcase is still outside,” she tells him, her voice muffled, “I didn’t want the wheels rolling against the cement to clue you in.”

 

Hunter’s eyes go soft at that. He leans forward so his forehead is touching hers, then kisses her there, twice, before going outside to grab her suitcase.

 

Unlike their kiss against the door, the sex isn’t frantic and rough. It’s slow, gentle, sweet, all consuming. Hunter takes his time with her and makes her feel special and beautiful, basically like she’s the only person in the world worth paying attention to.

 

She’s never felt like that. She has had one or two boys dote on her hand and foot, as if she were incapable of doing anything herself, a few obsess over her unwantedly.

 

This? This is so much different. Fuck it, she feels loved and adored, respected. If she has to give what they are doing a name, it would fit “making love” to a T. She has always hated that term, it’s cheesy and sappy and that’s not really her. But she doesn’t mind using it in this case.

 

They are both exhausted afterwards. He’s been up for god knows how long and she’s been up since 4:30, eastern standard time, thus roughly 24 hours straight. So, once they both come, she melts into his side and lets him hold her. They both want to stay up, to talk and make the most of every minute. But her eyes keep drooping shut and she begins to drift off. Distantly, she feels Hunter get up to tuck her in before lying back down with her to hold her once more.

 

She can’t remember the last time she slept so well.

-----------------------------------------------

Besides Hunter waking her up a few hours after they fall asleep to kiss her and tell her he has to go to work for a while, but would try to be back in the afternoon, to get some sleep, and to text him when she wakes up, Molly sleeps soundly until 9:30. Stretching and yawning, she wraps the sheet around her to go to the foyer and get her suitcase.

 

Which has an orange and white cat lying on top of it.

 

“Hey, Katniss,” she says softly, clutching the sheet to her chest as she bends down to stick a hand out.

 

Katniss lets out a sound, not a hiss or a growl but maybe a scoff, if cats can do that, before hopping off her suitcase and running into another room.

 

“Nice to meet you too,” Molly mutters, before grabbing the handle of the bag.

 

She takes it back to Hunter’s room, before taking her toiletry bag to the bathroom to take a shower. The water pressure is perfect, and how much she enjoys the shower is almost obscene. When she gets out, she knows she wants to look nice and takes advantage of the spring clothes she brought. After she’s dressed and her hair is dry and her makeup is done, she looks in the mirror and decides she looks pretty hot.

 

Up and just got out of the shower.” She texts him as she flops down on his couch.

 

It takes a few minutes, but her phone pings.

 

Why would you partake in such a naked
activity without me while you’re here?

 

Molly snorts at that, before typing out an answer.

 

Payback. I heard you showering before work.

 

Payback? You were exhausted!
I take that as a compliment, btw.

 

Molly rolls her eyes, then types out:

 

Gonna go explore. Hop on a random bus
or something. See what I can find. I’ll let
you know if I get lost.

 

The reply she gets to that comes within a few seconds is a bit extreme.

 

DON’T GO TO COMPTON.
There’s a bus near my place that goes
to Compton, so be careful.

 

If I end up going there, I will let you
know.

 

She knows sending him that is a little cruel but, seriously, she doesn’t expect him to call her over it.

 

“Molly, I’m being serious, be careful when it comes to what bus you get on,” Hunter tells her, way too responsible for her liking.

 

“Yeah, but now you made me want to go to Compton, see what all the fuss is about,” she sighs, glancing at her nails and wondering if she should paint them a new color to compliment her outfit.

 

“Shut up,” Hunter scoffs, “Look, I worked on a movie there last year. Some of it is fine but it is notoriously dangerous. Like, two-thirds of violent offenses go unsolved, a lot of guys carry guns in their waistbands. The murder rates are high. The uh...rape statistics, they’re relatively high. Just make sure you don’t end up in a bad area, okay?”

 

“Do people really commit crimes this early?”

 

“Molly,” Hunter warns, “Just be careful. I’ll be done here around 3. I have someone covering for the rest of the evening.”

 

“I came here unannounced. You don’t have to do that for me,” she sighs.

 

“Yes, I do. I want to.”

 

“Is Daniel happy about this?”

 

“Don’t know, don’t care,” Hunter tosses out, “Jeff was completely fine with it when I texted him this morning, so that’s good enough for me. He said I could leave at noon tomorrow and I have Saturday and Sunday off. Guess it’s a reward for never taking off early ever.”

 

“Well, that’s good.”

 

“I will see you later. Have a good time.”

 

“Will do,” Molly answers, “And you have a good day. Let me know when you are on your way back.”

 

Molly hangs up after, then goes and picks up her purse. She’s about to leave, but then sees an envelope with her name on it.

 

Molly,

 

In case you don't want to be stuck in the condo or locked out until I get back. Put them on your keychain.

 

Taped on the note is a key and a key card. Shrugging off the butterflies she feels by she feels by the trust Hunter apparently has in her, she adds them to her house and car keys then steps out the door.

 

The sun is already shining pretty bright, even underneath the cover of the second floor. She takes her sunglasses off her head and puts them on her face, turns around, and runs straight on into someone.

 

“Oh my god, I'm so sorry,” she tells the man, taking a step back.

 

The man studies her for a moment, Molly barely keeps herself from flinching when he literally pulls her sunglasses down the bridge of her nose, but then can't hold the flinch back when he begins to squeal with excitement.

 

“Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god!” he squeaks, jumping up and down and taking her hands, “You’re her.”

 

“...That is my pronoun!” Molly ends up returning confusedly.

 

But the man shakes his head, “No, no, no. You’re HER. The one Hunter is absolutely head over heels for. Phone girl. FaceTime and Skype girl. What is your name? Marla, Maryanne, Margaret-”

 

“Molly,” Molly corrects him, before holding out a hand, “And I assume you're Quinn.”

 

Quinn gawks at her as if she just performed witchcraft before looking a little down but shaking her hand regardless, “Well, now I just feel terrible for spacing on your name.”

 

Molly has to chuckle at that, “It’s okay.”

 

“But let me tell you,” Quinn starts as he circles around her, “You are as every bit as gorgeous as Hunter told me you were. Well dressed too, if I might add.”

 

“...Thanks.”

 

Quinn comes back to her front, “When did you get in? I mean, I’m more of a blabber mouth than Hunter is, but I feel like he would let it slip at least once if he had known you were coming.”

 

Molly shrugs, “He didn’t. I knocked on his door at midnight last night.”

 

Quinn’s excitement grows once more, “Oh my god. For his birthday?! That is SO romantic. I can imagine how adored that made him feel. Our boy deserves that kind of love and to really feel it for someone in return, you know?”

 

Molly starts to feel a little shy at the L word Quinn’s casually throwing around out loud like it’s nothing but, before she can address that or, much more likely, change the subject, Quinn links his arm with hers.

 

“But I can’t believe he went to work and just left you here, surprise or not!” Quinn huffs, “So don’t you worry any of the perfect hairs on your head. We can go wherever you want to go. I have a car so you don’t even have to worry about Uber or Lyft.”

 

“I was going to take the bus.”

 

Quinn gives her a once over, as if she’s mildly disgusting, before brightening up.

 

“Although I’d rather not be caught dead on the bus, a nice brunch place called The Front Yard is along one of our lines. I get bottomless mimosas for free there. Actually, I get everything free there and if I bring a friend along, they get free stuff too. My ex’s mom owns the place and she hates that her son dumped me, I mean, obviously you can see why. Plus, he’s a total loser now and I think it comforts her that her could-have-been son-in-law is still fabulous. But we can get so buzzed, since we won’t be driving, and the food is to die for.”

 

Molly sorts out what Quinn just said in her head, then nods, “I am pretty hungry.”

 

“Well then let’s go, sweetie!” Quinn tells her, more or less dragging her off to the bus stop.

 

Despite Quinn’s habit for talking up a storm, he does let the conversation go both ways as he more or less cheerfully interrogates her on her life, hobbies, political views, and family the whole ride there.

 

“Bonjour, Madame!” Quinn greets dramatically as soon as they walk through the entrance.

 

“Quinn,” the older woman laughs in a husky voice, “You’re too precious. Who’s this?”

 

Quinn puts a hand in between her shoulder blades and gestures towards Molly, “This right here is Molly. Molly, this is Yara. Molly is the woman who has finally captured Hunter’s heart.”

 

“Oh, that’s wonderful! He has the mouth of a sailor and is a little too quick-witted for his own good, but he’s such a good guy. You haven’t brought him around for a while. How is he?”

 

“Obviously, he is fabulous, with this girl hopping on a plane to surprise him for his birthday. He’s also working almost non-stop. So I took it upon myself to show Miss Molly here one of the best brunch spots in North Hollywood.”

 

“Well, the least I can do it give you the best table in the joint,” Yara offers, before ushering them outside to a table partially shaded by trees. Quinn insists that she sits on the shaded side, claiming that she is much fairer than he is and that she needs to protect her skin so she won’t age prematurely. The food ends up being fantastic. And the Mimosas? They really are bottomless.

------------------------------

Molly and Quinn are way too buzzed for 2 pm.

 

Okay, they’re past buzzed. That’s what they get for drinking bottomless mimosas for close to three hours. By the time they leave, they are at that stage where they giggle at whatever the other one says. They’re both a bit touchy and act way too chipper as they practically skip to the bus stop. They behave on the bus, act almost sober, before getting back to the condo complex, where Quinn thinks it is a fantastic idea if they swim until Hunter gets back.

 

“The water is glorious!” Quinn tells her after he pops up to the surface, “Don’t you worry about it being too cold. This is LA!”

 

“It’s a little chilly though,” Molly answers, wrapping the towel around herself tighter.

 

“Uh, hello? Heated pool. So jump in!”

 

Molly sighs and does what she’s told. Quinn was right. The water feels amazing, she feels pretty good too and, now that it’s happening, she knows that she needed this. To get away from her job, to meet a new person or two, to see Hunter, and to just have fun. She and Quinn swim for a bit, talk to the people who put their feet in the water, have a fucking contest on who can hold their breath the longest like they’re four. Or like they’re high. One of the people who hung out for a bit lit up a joint and gave them both a couple of hits.

 

“It’s medicinal,” the man had said, laughing, his bloodshot eyes barely open, “I have chronic stress.”

 

So, when Molly comes to the surface seconds after Quinn does and says, “Ha, I won!” before turning around to find Hunter standing there, looking at her with an amused look on his face, she may react a little too enthusiastically.

 

“Hunter, you’re back!” she calls out, before lifting herself up onto the ledge of the pool to rush over to him, arms outstretched.

 

“Oh god, Molly. You’re soaked,” Hunter groans, but puts his arms around her anyway.

 

“I don’t mind,” is all she says, staring up at him, eyes bright.

 

Hunter studies her face for a moment, before lifting his hands to her face to pull down on her cheeks with his thumbs.

 

“What did you give her?” he calls out to Quinn, who has now decided to jump up and down on the diving board.

 

“Bottomless Mimosassss,” Quinn sings, before doing a somersault in midair and landing into the pool.

 

“I’ll be fine in less than an hour, I promise,” Molly assures him.

 

“Yeah, Hunter,” Quinn adds, swimming over to the ledge to rest his chin on his crossed arms, “The only reason she’s still acting a bit silly is because Sonny gave us a couple of hits off his joint. But don’t worry. It’s medicinal. It’s good for her.”

 

Molly nods at that, because it really makes sense, “It’s true. Every word. Now come on, jump in. Swim with me.”

 

“I’m not even in my trunks,” Hunter laughs at her, “And the water is probably cold as hell. It hasn’t been that warm the last few days.”

 

“No no no, the water feels great. Trust me,” Molly insists, guiding him over to Hunter’s sliding door, “Go put them on. Then in a little bit, we can shower together, fuck together-”

 

“I would hope so,” Hunter teases, but his breath still hitches.

 

“And we can go out. Go wherever you want to go,” Molly murmurs, kissing at his jaw, “I also have to give you your present.”

 

“You already gave me a present last night,” Hunter tells her softly, before letting her kiss him. Which, since Molly is still on a high, turns into a makeout session that’s eventually disrupted when Quinn says,

 

“Hey! Lovebirds! Take it inside if you’re going to fuck.”

 

And, when Molly pulls away laughing, she can tell Hunter is really tempted by that suggestion. But she needs to keep him on track.

 

“Inside,” she insists, pushing him, “Get your trunks on. It’ll be fun.”

 

She doesn’t follow Hunter inside. Molly knows that if he’s changing and she’s right there, one thing will lead to another and they probably won’t leave his place for hours. So she accepts the raft Quinn hands to her and she lounges in the pool. She’s a little tired, so it’s possible that’s the reason she doesn’t notice when Hunter gets in the pool and approaches her until he’s tipping her out of the raft.

 

“Hunter!” she sputters, flipping her hair back from her face, “I could have drowned!”

 

“Don’t be dramatic,” Hunter rolls his eyes, but shivers as he crosses his arms, “Besides, you deserved it. You completely lied about the water feeling warm.”

 

“It DOES feel warm.”

 

“Only to you, since the alcohol is making you feel a false sense of warmness. That’s how people freeze to death.”

 

“I’ll leave it to you to break the news to my mother,” Molly shoots back, before splashing him.

 

This just leads to a full fledged war, where Hunter grabs her and picks her up, before swinging her around and taking her underwater with him. And you know what? Kissing underwater isn’t as romantic as the movies make them out to be. As spontaneous and awesome as it was to have the opportunity, a few seconds after her lips connect with Hunter’s, their mouths start to slowly fill with water and it just really isn’t that comfortable anymore.

 

“You two are literally too precious for this world,” Quinn drawls once they come up for air, slowly paddling himself over on Molly’s raft, “Seriously, it’s a little gross. Go inside, fuck each other’s brains out, and get the sexual tension out of your systems. It’s making me uncomfortable.”

 

“You’re so full of shit, Quinn,” Hunter scoffs, amused, before flipping his friend out of the raft as well.

 

Hunter and Molly approximately last for fifteen more minutes. The feel of their wet skin sliding against each other beneath the water and the fact they can’t stop making out against the wall of the pool has them taking Quinn’s advice.

--------------------------------------

“Where do you want to go?”

 

Hunter turns to glance at her right after he pulls his boxer briefs on, “It doesn’t matter to me. Where do you want to go?”

 

“I don’t know where I want to go. I don't live here. And even if I was from here and was dead set on a place, it wouldn’t matter because it’s your birthday thus you get to choose where you want to go.”

 

“You are so stubborn,” Hunter shakes his head, “But okay. First though, you have to give me my present.”

 

Molly takes a moment to ponder whether she should give it to him before they go out or after. Hunter seems to take her hesitation the wrong way and asks, “What, do you want me to guess?”

 

Molly shrugs at that, “Sure, but I don’t think you’ll get it.”

 

“Skydiving.”

 

Molly’s jaw drops before she glares at him, “Did you go through my bag?!”

 

“No, Molly, I swear I didn’t,” he laughs as she charges over to him, “The place you booked with called me, said that someone gifted me a skydiving session and wondered if they should refund the money back to you because they let me do it for dirt cheap. I do it with them all the time to the point where I'm certified there. Sometimes on hiatuses I take their customers on jumps for fun.”

 

“Don't tell me you told them to refund it,” Molly sighs sadly, before sitting down on the bed, “I’m so sad now. I was looking forward to giving that to you.”

 

“Oh, stop,” Hunter rolls his eyes, before sitting down next to her, “Like I said before, you gave me the best present I have ever gotten. Appearing at my door like that? It was the greatest feeling in the world. And that cost more than enough money than I deserve for you to spend on me.”

 

“Yeah, but I benefited by getting away. So it isn't good enough,” Molly shakes her head, “I have to come up with something else now.”

 

“I have something in mind.”

 

“Does it include seeing you jump out of a plane?”

 

“Mmhmm,” Hunter hums, “You’ll get to see that Saturday.”

 

“Valentine’s Day. Oh, Hunter. It will be so romantic to see you risk your life just for an adrenaline rush,” Molly sighs, throwing a hand to her heart, “I need to get dressed. I'm still in my underwear.”

 

“Nothing wrong with that. I'm in mine too. Besides. they’re nice underwear,” Hunter offers, kissing her shoulder.

 

Molly rolls her eyes, “But would it be acceptable for me to go out in them to wherever we are going?”

 

Hunter stands up and judges her, as if he is taking her question into serious consideration.

 

“Loose curls,” Hunter starts, picking up her wet, newly washed hair, “A dress that's sort of retro, like seventies, a thick headband, and comfortable but complimentary shoes.”

 

“Okay, I will just pull those out of my magic bag.”

 

Hunter shakes his head, amused, “Just wear what you want. You’ll look beautiful like always and every single friend I have will be jealous as hell that you’re here for me. Or they’ll be jealous that they can’t even compete.”

 

“Will they?” Molly asks, raising her eyebrows, then huffs out a laugh, “You’re friends with pretty actresses. Somehow I doubt they’ll be threatened.”

 

Hunter stares at her, bewildered, “You’re so much hotter than them. You’re genius smart, funny, interesting, and compassionate. You also have plump lips, gorgeous eyes, legs for days, and have great tits-”

 

“Oh good lord, let me get dressed,” Molly groans as she walks away from the man.

 

“And it’s all natural,” Hunter continues, following her to the bathroom, “I can’t tell you how many people I know who have had work done. Quinn has had work done. His nose and his ass.”

 

“I know, he showed me both,” Molly smirks.

 

“That doesn’t surprise me at all whatsoever,” Hunter huffs, “But seriously, they’re going to be jealous of you. The shallow ones who are friends of friends will probably ask you about your skincare routine or some shit. They’ll be so focused on how pretty you are, that they won't notice the most important thing.”

 

Molly raises an eyebrow, “And what's that?”

 

“You're real.”

 

They have a couple of hours to kill before going out to dinner. Molly insists on Hunter taking a nap. His movements aren’t tired, but his eyes are, and it’s no wonder. He’s been up since 4 and her sudden appearance kept him up and active until 1:30 before they had finally fallen asleep.

 

“I’m fine,” he tells her, grabbing onto her hands as she stands over him to try to push his sitting form onto the bed.

 

“Your eyes look red and you don’t even have the excuse of getting high off of Sonny’s weed. So, unless you were crying while I wasn’t looking-”

 

“Or in a pool with chlorine in it,” Hunter adds slowly, as if she’s dumb.

 

Molly pauses, then shakes her head, “You know, that could be the issue, but still. You slept 2 and a half hours. You have to get up early again tomorrow and will be out till later tonight. Sleep. I’ll lie there right next to you.”

 

Hunter studies her for a moment, “You swear?”

 

“Scouts’ Honor, cross my heart and hope to die, nothing but the truth so help me God,” she confirms.

 

When she wakes up a couple of hours later, she can hear him talking quietly into his phone, shoulders partially propped on the headboard. Her temple is resting against the bottom of his ribs and, with her eyes still closed, she listens to his side of the conversation.

 

“I would like you to come out soon,” Hunter insists, absentmindedly running his fingers through her hair before stroking her back, “This weekend just isn't the best time…Yeah, I know you bought the tickets already. I can pay you back...yes, it is necessary…”

 

“Who are you talking to?” Molly whispers, picking her head up.

 

Hunter covers the mouthpiece, “My dads. Both of them. They’re calling to wish me a happy birthday.”

 

“Were they supposed to come in?” Molly asks him, feeling a small knot form in her stomach.

 

“It's fine,” Hunter brushes off, rolling his eyes, before uncovering the phone, “Uh...nah. I didn't say anything...Jesus Christ, I don't have a girl over…”

 

“Hunter, they want to come see you for your birthday weekend,” she mutters, “I can get a hotel room.”

 

No,” Hunter glares, then says, “No, Ben. That's wasn't at you.”

 

Hunter turns to stare at her for a few moments as Molly taps him in the arm.

 

“They paid for tickets and you didn't tell me,” she reminds him.

 

Hunter lets out a defeated sigh, “Yeah, okay. You can come visit. You have a hotel room?...Good...I just...Jesus, hold on.”

 

Hunter places his thumb and forefinger on the bridge of his nose, before putting the phone down.

 

“They keep asking who’s here,” he tells her, “They say I'm acting weird.”

 

“You are acting weird,” Molly confirms.

 

“I just...fuck, I don't want to scare you off by having them around. Like, insisting you already need to meet my parents or something.”

 

Molly rolls her eyes, “One, I already have met them. And two? Michael and Ben really aren't scary. Sorry if that offends you. Don't make things even weirder by making them wait to find out I'm here.”

 

Hunter pauses and nods, then picks up the phone, “Yeah, I'm here. I was just talking to Molly...Yeah, Molly Taylor...She’s visiting. So, yeah, she’ll be here too...No, she's not camping out on my couch...No, I'm not camping out on the couch either...Wow, that took you long enough...Glad you’re okay with it. See you tomorrow...Yeah, love you too.”

 

Molly watches Hunter as he hangs up the phone, then bites out a laugh before he lets out a groan.

 

“It's not a big deal,” she gives him, “Sure, it might be awkward, and they might ask a few questions, especially when Michael saw me leave your room in New York. But I've met them so, while it is a bit soon, it's fine.”

 

“I’d rather not deal with family gatherings,” Hunter mutters.

 

Molly looks up at him with big eyes and a serious face, “Why? Because I’m a very kinky girl, the kind you don't take home to pap-”

 

“Don't finish that sentence,” Hunter snorts, “You’re such a freak, Taylor.”

 

“Ah, but am I a super fr-”

 

Hunter cuts off her attempt to lead into a song by crushing his lips against hers.

------------------------------------------------

Hunter...Hunter’s a bit eccentric.

 

And Molly finds herself liking that.

 

After he texts several of his friends and they get ready, Hunter fetches Quinn and the three of them drive to a place called Good Times at Davey Wayne’s. And it looks like a fucking house.

 

“Here we are,” Hunter tells her, putting the car in park, before getting out.

 

Molly squints at the house, “Is this your friend’s place?”

 

Hunter snorts before coming around to open the door for her, “No, it’s a bar. Come on, you’ll see.”

 

They head over to the open garage, of all places, while Quinn chatters away as if going into a random garage is completely normal.

 

“I’ll pay the cover charge,” Quinn insists, getting out his wallet, “I still owe you a present and it is the least I can do.”

 

Quinn pays the burly man standing at a fold out table and Molly watches with intrigue as he puts it into an old, shitty cash register before subtly pointing behind his shoulder. Molly finds herself tilting her head as she stares at garage sale price tags and Hunter shakes his head.

 

“If you are planning to buy a kayak, at least get one has a more indestructible design than that one,” Hunter points out, nodding at the overpriced second or thirdhand kayak, before taking her hand, “Come on.”

 

Molly glances around, confused to where else they can even go. Until Hunter opens the retro refrigerator, revealing a hallway, with a set of stairs at the end.

 

When they reach the bottom? It’s quite a sight.

 

“It’s as if Boogie Nights and Almost Famous had a baby and that baby projectile vomited all over this room.”

 

“Oh my god, those are two of Hunter’s favorites,” Quinn gushes.

 

“She’s a girl after my heart,” Hunter grins, throwing an arm around her, “Seriously though, this place is awesome. They have live rock bands and people dress up and the staff try to sound like they are from the 70s-”

 

“And sometimes fail miserably,” Quinn adds, “But they don’t fail at making a strong drink.”

 

And, after Quinn buys them a round and more of Hunter’s beautiful friends trickle in, Molly realizes that Quinn’s right.

-----------------------------------------------------

“He has barely taken his eyes off of you all night,”

 

Molly turns her head to Autumn to glance at her, “Excuse me?”

 

Autumn gives her a look, “The birthday boy. Your boy. He’s smitten. I’ve known him for a few years now and I don’t think I have ever seen him look so taken with a girl before. How long have you been seeing each other?”

 

Molly feels an unwanted blush rise to her cheeks as she huffs out a laugh, “It’s...It’s complicated. It’s kind of long distance right now. I came out here on a whim.”

 

Autumn smiles at that, “Well, it was the right choice. He has had a stupid grin on his face all night and Mariah is jealous as hell.”

 

“Mariah?”

 

Autumn nods her head to the side, “Nine o’ clock.”

 

Molly sneaks a glance at the woman to her left and finds someone who is...fuck, gorgeous. Olive skin, thick silky black hair, hourglass figure. Molly never once has had reason to feel self-conscious about her looks. At the risk of sounding conceited, she knows she’s attractive. But this woman...she’s inferior to her.

 

“Is she his ex?” Molly has to ask.

 

Autumn shakes his head, “One of his neighbors. They hooked up a few times. She was feeling it, he wasn’t. She’s not used to getting turned down and has been secretly bitter ever since. So, if you hear her talking shit on you, don’t take it personally.

 

“...Great,” Molly answers, letting out a disbelieving laugh and shaking her head, “Thanks for the warning.”

 

Autumn smiles, “I wouldn’t worry about it. He said hi to her once and barely paid her any attention even then. He was too preoccupied looking at you. He really, really likes you.”

 

Molly bites back a smile, “Yeah. I really like him too.”

 

It’s then that Molly catches him staring at her from several feet away, but she can’t make fun of him for it. She has been doing the same exact thing.

--------------------------------------------------------

Neither she or Hunter drink much and leave by 10:30 to get home, waving goodbye to Quinn who insisted that he would get a ride elsewhere. The ride is quiet for the first half, until Molly clears her throat.

 

“So...how do you know Mariah?”

 

Hunter looks a little amused but bites his cheek at the question, “Why do you ask?”

 

“She seemed a bit...cold towards me,” Molly answers, searching for the least offensive term to describe Mariah’s personality.

 

“Oh yeah? What did she say now?”

 

“It’s not about what she said, it’s about what she didn’t say. And what do you mean, ‘now?’” Molly answers, studying his expression.

 

“You wouldn’t be the first girlfriend...or...you know what I mean, that she was rude to.” Hunter stumbles over his words, much to Molly’s amusement.

 

“What has she done before? Pushed them in front of a moving car? Boiled their pet rabbits?”

 

Hunter bursts out laughing at that, “No. Shit, she’s not a fucking psycho. I don’t think. She’s just jealous and has a bit of a mean streak. I wish I would have realized it before I hooked up with her almost two years ago but I thought she was hot and my dick thought she was hotter. We hooked up three times and I realized how controlling and needy she was. I wanted to let her down easy. I actually did. She didn’t take the hint and then she came over when Hannah, my ex, was over to tell me about her mom having cancer. I was close with Hannah’s family and Hannah thought I should know. Mariah drew her own conclusions and got pissed. I told her off and she understood, but it doesn’t mean she liked what I said.”

 

“So why was she at your party?”

 

“She’s Lena’s cousin. And roommate. Lena’s a friend,” Hunter nods, pursing his lips.

 

Molly shakes her head, then tilts her head against the seat, “Moral of the story is don’t fuck your friend’s cousin.”

 

“Never again,” Hunter agrees.

 

“You know, it could be worse,” Molly yawns, “I was seeing a guy for a few months in college. The last couple of weeks in our so-called relationship, he got really controlling. Called him out and he yanked me back by my wrist before backhanding me. I took a couple of psych classes and knew where things were going. Dumped his ass. He stalked me for like a year. I had to get a restraining order. Still get calls from him every once in awhile though.”

 

Hunter presses on the brake a bit too hard at the stoplight, “What?”

 

Molly shrugs, “Like I said, it could be a lot worse. I can deal with Maria-”

 

“Mariah-”

 

“-any day of the week,” Molly finishes, “I’m SO hungry all of the sudden. Can we stop and get Chinese or something to take back? My treat.”

 

Hunter shakes himself out of his thoughts, “...Yeah. There’s a place close to me that’s open late. We can order from there.”

 

The orders come quickly and Molly carries the hot bag of food in her lap as Hunter drives the three remaining blocks home. They sit on the floor at the round coffee table in Hunter’s living room and Hunter looks at her with something akin to wonder as she eats her food with chopsticks.

 

“My roommate through my junior and senior years was from Suzhou, China. She taught me before I went to stay with her family winter break,” she explains, before taking a bite of her curry vegetables.

 

“You’ve been to China?” Hunter asks.

 

“Yeah, I never told you?”

 

“I feel like I would remember if you had,” Hunter answers.

 

Molly shrugs, “Yeah, I went. Liu and I are really close and it was a good opportunity. It’s beautiful there.”

 

Hunter nods and picks at his food with his fork, “I’m learning a lot of things about you tonight.”

 

Molly sighs, “If this is about what I told you in the car-”

 

“Yeah, it’s about what you told me in the car,” Hunter interrupts, studying her.

 

A moment of silence passes and Molly feels a nervous tension make its way through her body.

 

“Did he hurt you?”

 

The question, the way Hunter asks her, quiet and hesitant, hurts her heart. Because she knows, even without anyone telling her much about it, that Hunter had to have gone through some horrific shit.

 

“No,” she answers him, covering his hand with his own, “No, never like that. I promise you.”

 

Hunter nods and looks away, “Good.”

 

“I was...fuck, I was embarrassed for putting up with it for the couple of weeks that I did. For being afraid of him in the first place. It was just controlling shit. Texting me non-stop, demanding to know everywhere I went, telling me I couldn’t hang out with my guy friends, throwing out some of my favorite clothes because he didn’t like them or ones he felt I received too much attention in. It was fucked up and escalated out of nowhere. We weren’t serious, didn’t move in together and never introduced each other to our families. I never even mentioned him to my mom or Justin while I was with him. And even after? I downplayed it. Said I had just went out on a few dates with him and he was following me around. I didn’t want them knowing I had been with someone like that, even though it was only for a couple of months. I didn’t even tell them anything until after I got a restraining order. They had lost their shit enough over hearing only the partial truth. The only people who really knew were close friends I went to college with and my roommates. I’m not even sure why I am telling you all of this.”

 

Hunter looks at her, “I’m glad you are. Especially if he’s still calling.”

 

“Not often. But I get dropped calls. Some with heavy breathing. So I think it’s him. A few times he’s drunk dialed me. He did that...He did that last week. But it’s nothing, at least in comparison to what some people go through.

 

Hunter’s expression becomes stern, “It’s still something. It’s still fucked up. You need to tell the police that he’s violating the order.”

 

“I tried that before,” she tells him, “It ended up getting dismissed because they said I can just not answer his calls, even though he calls from random numbers. I’ve changed my number twice. But he’s smart. I guess that’s what I liked about him at first. The initial order only lasted a year and I got a year extension when I kept seeing him around. I was told a few months ago that his 'current actions couldn't be proven and the evidence wouldn't hold up for a renewal' so technically he isn't even under a restraining order anymore. Look, it’s...it’s not a big deal, okay? He doesn’t scare me or anything. Not anymore. I shouldn’t have told you.”

 

Hunter just sits there at that, looking pissed, worried, and dubious, which makes Molly kind of hate herself. It is the man’s birthday and she probably just ruined it with her own shit, shit that she likes to keep to herself. Yet, for some reason, she told him.

 

“I’m full,” she ends up saying, putting down your chopsticks, “Are you done with yours?”

 

Hunter nods and lets her take his leftovers to the fridge.

 

When they go to bed, he lets her take control and she rides him, pushes his back against the mattress as she grinds against him and meets him for a filthy kiss. After, he holds her tightly against his chest and plays with her hair while she falls asleep with her cheek pressed against his collarbone.

Chapter End Notes:

This chapter has been published on other sites for about a year, but I never updated it here. Since I am planning to return to the Intersect Universe and have  been working on the Thanksgiving chapter in the main story, I wanted to make sure everything was up to date. Thanks for reading!