- Text Size +

 

 

 

BEFORE I LET GO: BOOK II: CHAPTER 8: MARCH OF A HUNDRED BOXES/ 7 LIVES EXPOSED  


Three Days Later


DIANE:


I’m sitting here redoing the schedule to reflect the untimely departure of Mrs. Novotny-Horvath and looking over employee records. I have to choose four new managers among the staff I have now. I really don’t want to hire an outsider, and since all of the people who currently work here have been here for years, I would really like to reward their hard work and dedication by promoting from within. Quite obviously, beyond Debbie,  Kiki and Larry the Cook have been here the longest, so their promotions are assured. But in looking at Kiki- formerly Kenneth’s- employment history, I also see that she has a degree in culinary arts and another in hospitality. 


What the hell is she doing working as a mere waitress? I’ll have to ask about that later when she comes in. 


But back to the other employees, I’m looking over this guy Reece’s record, and already I see a few problems. The first is that he was fired for attendance issues at the Big Q, and he’s repeating the same issue here at the Diner. Now if there is some mitigating circumstance, perhaps I’ll be able to work with him to come up with a schedule that won’t interfere with those particular obligations. However, if he’s just goofing off because he thinks this is some do-as-you-please job, than it’s best to cut his ass from the roster now rather than wait. Although this is still going to remain the local hangout, the structure of the Diner is going to reflect that of the Fine Dining aspect of mine and Blake’s business. 


“You have a minute, Diane?” Kiki asks as she sticks her head into the open door of the office.


“Sure. I was just thinking about you, but why are you here so early today? You’re weren’t due until  just before the lunch rush.”


“I… well…”


“It’s okay since I was just thinking about you anyway. Why haven’t you been promoted to manager long since? According to your record, you’re more than qualified.”


“When the old manager died, he requested in his will that things remain the same at the time of his passing…”


“So basically, his son decided to keep Deb on as the manager in honor of his father’s wishes?”


“Yes. She wasn’t bad at it…”


“But nor was she good at it?”


“It’s not that… It’s more that because of her, none of us could say anything against her son,” Kiki tells me, unsure of my reaction.


“It wasn’t like she could get away with poisoning their food for calling Michael on his shit…”


“No, nothing like that. But Deb is considered the real owner, even more than the person who actually pays our wages. Everyone is pretty much under the impression that her word is law around here.”


“Well, I can tell you that is something which will no longer be a factor, since I’ve decided that keeping her on is NOT in the best interests of the Diner. Her tirade a few days ago was completely out of line. And although this is a casual dining establishment, it was completely unacceptable to display that kind of unprofessionalism, regardless of the family-like atmosphere. Her personal business- and that of those I’m beginning to consider my brothers of the heart- should not have been put out for public scrutiny, just so that she could browbeat people into doing her son’s bidding.”


“Speaking of which… he’s part of the reason I came in early.”


“What about him?” I ask, but think about whom we’re speaking of. “Ah, even hundreds of miles away, he’s still managing to wreak havoc, is he?”


“In more ways than you know,” Kiki mutters, before straightening in her seat. “How much do you really know about your brother’s former addiction?”


“Only that he’d gotten mixed up with some bad people. It wasn’t just that he was using, but I know that he was a runner as well.”


“And much more, which is the real problem. Blake was a real moneymaker for Tino, in ALL facets, if you get my meaning.”


“Tino?”


“He’s the major dealer around here, along with a guy named Dr. Crystal.” Kiki sighs, and I can tell whatever she’s about to say will NOT be good news under any circumstances. "Look, I don’t know how to tell you this, but it’s been bothering me since the other day when it happened.”


“What happened?” I’m trying for patience, but if she keeps stalling…


“Michael called the other day to speak to Reece, and…”


“What’s his deal anyway?”


“Whose? Michael’s or Reece?”


“Reece.”


Kiki folds her lips in before simply saying, “There’s an old saying: Snitches Get Stitches. Let’s just say that especially applies to Reece and his associates.”


“Let me guess… Tino and Dr. Crystal are two of those associates.”


“Among others.”


“And the reason for Michael’s call to Reece was?”


“To contact Tino in reference to a former employee of his. But there’s more, Diane. Michael knows about your inheritance…”


The rest of Kiki’s statement didn’t need to be said. I knew exactly where she was going with it, and I didn’t like the shit one little bit. But there was a way to be able to take care of things from my end. “Don’t worry about it, Kiki. I’ve already had a word with both Carl and my attorney before I started going over these employment records.”


“Carl? Why?”


“I wanted him to have a clear picture of just why I had to fire his wife. It turns out that he already knew, because Drew forwarded him a sound byte from her haranguing call to Emmett. Those boys are primed and ready to finally fight back against the Novotny tyranny. Consequently, I think it’s officially time to let Reece hit the skids. His employment record alone gives me grounds for immediate dismissal. But the fact that he’s so obviously in cahoots with Michael to make my brother’s life a living hell again… well that makes this personal. Let me call Carl now.”


“I think that’s the wisest course of action. I hate to be the cause for the young guy to lose his job…”


“You’re not; he is. His outside associations could bring trouble to the innocent people who patronize this place. Which brings up another problem…”


“And that is?”


“A guy named Sean, who is currently housed at the rehab center my brother worked in, but now owns. I have to speak to Blake about it, since it is his baby, but I think it’s time for me to pay a visit to the facility and clean house on his behalf. But I’ll only do that if Blake allows it.”


“Let me gather some info first, and get back to you. It should take me all of an hour or two.”


“You do that. And Kiki…”


“Yes?”


“I’m promoting you and Larry to your rightful places, with full benefits and salary. We’ll have a management meeting after the lunch rush but before dinner. I want to revamp this place while keeping the character and atmosphere somewhat the same. I think the two of you can give me an idea of how to do that.”


She nods, and then leaves my office. I sit and mull over all I have learned over the last fifteen minutes, before I pick up the phone and call Carl, as declared. I wait for the Detective to pick up the phone, before asking, “Did you ever gather that information from Jennifer?”


“I did, but in a way I can’t make heads or tails of it,” Carl answers me. 


I nod, although he can’t see me. “Look, I’m going to call Melanie, but can you meet me here at the Diner? Some other information has come to light, and…”


“I think I have an idea of what you’re saying, but I don’t want to talk about it here in the office. So I’ll be there in a bit.”


“Thanks, Carl. I have to protect my brother at all costs. And I know that the information Justin accumulated is just one way for me to do that.”


“You’re not planning on paying anyone off, are you?”


“If it comes to that, but I’m hoping that it won’t.


I hear him sigh over the phone. “Diane, you can’t do that. First of all, blackmailers always come back for more once what you’ve given them is spent. It’s more cost effective to just tell them to fuck off and let the chips fall where they may after that. The second reason you can’t do that is because these guys are determined to have what they want… and what they want is Blake to work for them again and Ted hooked on drugs again, because when he was, he was a big spender. The amount of money that Ted spent getting high was just about the same amount of money it took to start Kinnetik.”


“Shit! That much?!”


“Yes, and it would have been more if Ted hadn’t hit rock bottom. It’s why Dr. Crystal needs Ted’s business back, or at the very least, a way for Ted to drain Brian and Justin dry. Once Brian stopped using, even though his habit never got out of his control, his and Tino’s main dealer’s profits went down. Anita has since gotten out of the game, moved out of state, and started her own legitimate business. Sapperstein is in jail for tax evasion, racketeering, plus drug and human trafficking, which has also cut their supplies in both arenas. Brian redirected his efforts to making both Kinnetik and Babylon the major successes they are; same goes for Justin. So, to their minds, Blake, Ted, Brian, and Justin owe them big time. And they are willing to do anything to make them pay…”


“Including joining forces with Michael, who moves people like chess pieces for his own gain. God, I hate that little fucking punk!”


“Trust me when I tell you that I’m not fond of my stepson either. But there isn’t much I can do about him until he’s caught breaking the law, except thwart him where I can. But doing so makes my living situation almost impossible, since Deb can’t see her son for what he really is, which is a user and abuser of everything and everyone around him. It doesn’t help that he stays just shy of breaking the law in his own way.”


“Ah, the artless, ingenue approach?” 


“Exactly. But one just has to look at him from an outsider’s view to see the cold, callous, calculating child underneath it all. I swear there’s got to be something wrong with him, because if not…” Carl sighed, exasperated.


“I know. Look, let me call Mel, and I’ll see you in a bit.


We disconnect the call, as I begin processing all we’ve talked about. Until they get here, there isn’t much I can do, beyond hope that there is some way to save my brothers. But as long as Michael Novotny is a part of this equation- both in their lives, and just around period, I have a feeling this situation is going to get much worse before it gets better.


JENNIFER: 


“So Mr. Marchand, is all in readiness now?” I ask as I walk through the empty house.


“It appears so, Ms. Taylor. Although…”


“Well, what is it?”


“I’m just trying to figure out if selling the house at this juncture is really in the best interests of my client.”


“I know what you mean.” I nod. “I tried to talk to Ben about renovating, and then renting the property to provide him with some residual income.”


“Renovations? How extensive are we talking?”


“Not much really; more along the lines of some cosmetic refinishing. The house was in really good condition when he bought it a few years ago. Although the house was really old, the former owners were very loving to the house and kept it all up-to-date. I can’t see the renovations being more than seven grand in total, and that’s mostly to create a functional outdoor living space, which will ultimately add to the value of the property.”


I see. Have you spoken to Ben about this yet?”


“I tried, but… well, he just wanted any ties he had to Michael severed immediately, didn’t he?”


Phillip Marchand nods at me. “Definitely can’t blame him for that, but let’s see if between the two of us, we can convince him. I’m not sure what decisions he’s going to make beyond off-loading the house, and Red Cape Comics, if that’s still an option. But I would like to see him do well for himself regardless of what it is. He deserves sainthood when he goes to meet his Maker, just for putting up with Michael and his Ma. But until that happens, I would really like for Ben to reap some earthly rewards for his sufferance.”


“I completely agree. So I’ll tell you what… let me put together some specs before we present the idea to him. I’ll get my contractor in here to give me a few estimates, and then we’ll present the options he’ll have, whether he decides to rent the house out or sell immediately. I always like for my clients to have all the facts, and in this case it’s about buying power.”


“Buying power?”


“Yes. How exactly do you think Brian and Justin are so well off? They are not only the owners of Kinnetik and a graphic and interior design firm; they are also heavy investors in the real estate business. It would behoove Ben to diversify his investments, especially since he can afford the risk. Now, if he was still with that blood-sucking, turnip-brained fool he is divorcing… well this wouldn’t even be a conversation because the leech would still be too busy draining him dry.”


Phillip laughs at my description of Michael. God, I never could stand that man! I would almost feel bad for Debbie, but I can’t. If she had put a stop to Michael’s awful behavior a long time ago, she wouldn’t have to prepare to accept him into her household again. But then, what else could she expect? Michael consistently made the guys choose between him and their own happiness, and they are finally choosing themselves over him. Perhaps that’s what her real problem is? Because now Michael is about to put her back into the same position she has constantly bullied the guys to accept; a place where it’s going to come down to HIS wants or her needs. The battle of self-gratification versus self-preservation sure will be interesting to watch.

 

CARL:


Coming home from a hard day’s work is supposed to be joy, especially on those wonderful occasions where the scent coming from the kitchen signaled that Debbie had gotten off before me and decided to grace me with the blessing of her cooking. Now, it just means that my wife’s son’s life is casting its dark pall over her life yet again. I need to force the front door open wide enough to be able to step around the steadily growing amount of boxes crowding the foyer and living room. I don’t have to wonder who they belong to since Ben called me personally before Michael called Debbie to complain of Ben’s overreaction to his latest idiocy. If I’m being honest, I’m almost at the same point in my own marriage.


Don’t get me wrong, I love Debbie. But who I’m beginning to hate is Michael’s Ma. Ordinarily, a mother who puts her children first is a person to be admired. However, in this case, the fact that Debbie is still doting upon her OVERGROWN infant is just off-putting! And honestly, I don’t see us lasting if this is the way it’s going to be.


“Dinner will be ready in a few minutes,” she tells me in the same monotone she’s been using since I called her on her shit the other day. My guess is that she didn’t like that; as she wasn’t used to being caught in her own web of bullying and deceit. Well, she’ll just have to accept it.


“Thanks, but I’ll have to take it to go.”


“What?!” 


Oh, finally some emotion, equipped with hands on the hips and a screeching tone to her question.


“I have to get back to the station.”


“And you can’t take time out of your busy schedule to have dinner with me, is that it?”


So this is how it’s going to be, is it. Well FINE! “Honestly, no. I have a job that right now is supporting the both of us since your badgering and caterwauling lost you yours. So since you STILL have a mortgage on this place, and I don’t relish being homeless on account of YOUR SON, who you refuse to let GROW UP, I have to WORK. There… and that’s the truth.”


“You know what, Carl? I’m getting just a bit sick and tired of you and everyone else coming down on me because I helped Michael. I’m his mother; the ONLY parent he’s ever had!”


“And when are you going to stop using that excuse to condone his irresponsible and ignorant behavior?” I sigh. “Look, Debbie, you can do what you want…”


“Damn RIGHT, I can!”


“BUT YOU’LL BE DOING IT ALONE!” That shut her up quickly. Good! “I’m not going to stand by idly and watch you killing yourself for a selfish man… and that’s what he is, Deb! A SELFISH, INCONSIDERATE MAN! One who doesn’t care who or what he uses to get his way, and that includes YOU. But you just can’t see that, can you?”


“You leaving me, Carl?”


“If Michael moves in, I won’t have a choice.”


“Of course, you will.”


“No, I won’t. Because all I’ll be thinking about is the many ways I can possibly get away with murder,” I turn and head to the closet, reaching in it to grab a clean shirt. “I’ll eat at the station later; I’m suddenly not very hungry anymore.”

 

She’s still staring at me silently, as I make my way out the door. I have to go meet with Diane and Mel, and possibly find somewhere else to live. God, that it actually has come to this...