- Text Size +

 

 

FIRE AND ICE: BOOK II: CHAPTER 1

EMMETT


Oh my God… oh my God… oh my God!! I now understand why Brian laid into Michael as he did at Mel and Lindz’s tenth anniversary party all those years ago! I had to stop myself from flaying him alive when he said that Chris Hobbs should have finished Justin off. What fucking nerve! Hell, I had to stop Drewsie and that’s not an easy thing, let me tell you!

 

My eyes drift over to Justin, and I suddenly know he’s heard Michael’s malicious declaration. It’s in the determined set of his shoulders; in the way he’s punctuating each word into his phone. Justin is on the phone to his attorney, ordering that he get down to the island before we do to meet Michael with the papers, severing all ties with him. Is there no end to Michael’s viciousness? I have to wonder how none of us ever saw this side of him.


“Harry, I don’t give a fuck how it’s accomplished! I’m calling Clarence to ask if you can use his jet immediately, to be returned tonight. Give him the comic ownership papers first, and then issue the cease and desist order for all previous and current issues. This way he can’t use any of the characters, even if he could find someone to draw the comic. They are all under the JTDesigns copyright, and are subject to infringement laws if he tries. He won’t make another fucking penny with my artwork, nor my name!”


“Justin, you do realize that the C&D means all of the merchandise has to be pulled, including the action figures and other paraphernalia associated with the franchise?”


“Yeah I do. He’ll have to look at his failure and what his jealousy costs him, every single day. But the important thing in all of this is that I can start over; he can’t. Get on it!” He hangs up the phone and calls Clarence Macy, a mutual friend between him, Brian, and myself. He’s Brian’s former college roommate, who just happens not to be able to stand Michael.


After realizing and acknowledging that he’s always been Bisexual, he met Jefferson and they have been together going on fifteen years. Justin and I met him when Brian and Justin needed the heat taken off of them when their involvement in Stockwell’s downfall became public knowledge. The reporters were camping out at all of their haunts and there wasn’t any place for them to have peace leading up to the former Police Chief’s indictment. Teddy was worshipping at the altar of Ms. Crystal then and I needed to get away from it all. Clarence was a godsend back then.

 

Between him and Melanie, they convinced Brian to sue Vance for wrongful termination, plus there was a clause in Brian’s partnership contract that Mel had snuck in there. It stated that Brian had to be bought out of the partnership, unless Brian was proven fraudulent in his dealings. He wasn’t. Needless to say that Vanguard Agency is still paying the price for their egregious error, since Brian opening Kinnetik costs them all of their big money clients. Vance was forced to declare bankruptcy first and then close their doors for good last year.

 

Just goes to show it’s not only what you know, but who you know that matters. Macy Motor Corporation, alongside Remsen Pharmaceuticals and Brown Athletics, were amongst Kinnetik’s first clients. You can’t beat that! By the time Justin explains the situation to him, Justin has to call Harry back and board the plane within the next half hour. Ironically, Clarence was also on his way to the resort anyway.

 

Fuck! I don’t think I’ve ever seen this vicious side of Justin before. He's like a viper; striking out precisely and without hesitation. I’m not sure whether to like it or fear it… But I do respect it. It's not everyday that one gets to see Justin fighting back in such a cold, calculating way.

 

It's definitely a sight to behold.

 

In fact, he’s hitting Michael where it will hurt the most, which is actually two places: his ego, and his wallet. With the dissolution of the partnership between the supposed co-Creators of Rage- truly Justin did all the REAL work- Michael will be no longer welcome as a speaker at comic cons. He’ll go back to being a regular patron of comics instead of a writer of one. That kind of obscurity is the worst kind of punishment for Michael, even more than the lack of finances. He'll once again become a nobody within comic circles once the truth of the matter gets out, and will all know it will since Michael Novotny was never one to suffer in silence.

 

I remember Brian mentioning once that it was better to cross him, than it was to do it to Sunshine. He said that he would at least be lenient when meting out punishment, whereas one would never see Justin coming until it was too late. I think I finally understand what he means. Listening to him issue another set of instructions has me relieved that I'm not the one in his crosshairs. But Michael, being Michael, definitely brought all of Justin's actions upon himself. 


“Ready to board, Em?”


“Yeah, Drewsie. I am, but I think I’ll wait for Baby to get on first. Michael never knows when to shut up, and I fear what might happen should Michael choose to push Justin at this moment.”


He nods at me and murmurs, “Yeah, I know what you mean. I mean, if I almost lost it and Michael’s tirade wasn’t even about me…”


“Exactly! Now we just have to keep the Big Bad from hearing what happened.”


“Why? Surely if Brian heard Michael spewing what should be considered way beyond hate, it will finally open his eyes to the man he continually chooses over Justin.”


“Oh, I think Brian’s eyes have been opened in recent days. But I don’t relish what will happen should he find out that the reason he punched Michael all those years ago is being revisited again.”


“You mean that twerp has said that same shit before?!”


“Yeah, some years ago when Mel and Lindz were still together. He caught a left hook a la Brian Kinney. And even though they made up, I don’t think Brian has ever really forgiven Michael for saying that.”


“I wouldn’t have either. It’s one thing to think some bullshit like that, but to actually say it… Well, if it had been me Michael would still be shitting his teeth. How could you all so blithely overlook that?!”


I find myself momentarily angry at his harsh criticism, but I realize he’s right. “It wasn’t that we’ve overlooked it, Drewsie. It’s just… well Michael is our only connection to the mother figure in our lives. Jennifer is a mother-figure too, but Deb… well she’s been here for us a lot longer- Brian most of all. The three of us weren’t ready to lose her support.”


“So basically you all allow Michael to hold the proverbial anvil over your heads in exchange for Deb’s conditional love and support? That’s bullshit, Emmett! If there is one thing that should go in each of your journals, it’s this sentence: I want to stop submitting to emotional blackmail from a militant midget and the termagant who begot him! Sheesh! You all are such strong men, but you’ve allowed yourselves to be turned into sissies… and it has nothing to do with the fact that you love cock! I’ll see you on the plane.”


Drew stomps off as I make my way over to Justin, who has now been joined by Brian.


“We’ve talked about this, Sunshine… why would you suddenly decide to just hand over the comic?” I hear Brian ask. I can’t help but hold my breath waiting to see how Baby will answer his question.


Justin sighs deeply. “Bri, I’m not totally giving him the comic but simply going with Plan B.”


“Plan B? We never discussed a plan B.”


“Sure we didn’t, but Brian, when have you ever known me not to have contingency plans A through Z not planned out? It’s a habit I’ve picked up through osmosis while fucking you for the last ten years. You’ve always said that your small head was as intelligent as the one that rests on your shoulders.”


“Ha, ha, very funny Sunshine.” Brian drawls, sarcasm clear in his voice. “But seriously, what’s plan B? And again why have you decided to do this now when you just told Michael he had a week to decide how this plays out?”


Justin shrugs. “I simply didn’t want to wait any longer. As for the rest, you’ll know soon enough. By the way, did you know Clarence is going to be on the island?”


“No I didn’t, and don’t change the subject!”


“I’m not changing the subject; I just consider the matter closed for right now.” The reasonable sound of Justin’s tone gives both Brian and I pause. Usually when that particular dismissive inflection makes its presence known, Justin is either about to throw a fit or wreak havoc on someone’s peace of mind. Based on what I already know, it’s the latter. I pray and hold my breath as Brian leans forward to examine the clear blue eyes of his partner, and find myself relieved when he simply nods and lets the matter rest… well at least for now.


“You guys ready?” I ask, before Brian can prod further.


“Sure am, Em,” Justin responds a little too cheerfully for mine and Brian’s liking. “Oh, let me just go find Ben and then I’ll be with you both in just a moment.” He hustles off, leaving me alone with Brian.


“Spill it, Honeycutt.”


“Spill what?” I decide to take the ditzy fag approach. Surely, he won’t see through me, right? Wrong!


“Emmett, I’m asking you to tell me what caused this sudden change of tactics in Justin.”


“Change of tactics? I haven’t noticed any such thing.”


“Bullshit! Although I was surprised to learn that Justin has decided to rescind his offer for financial compensation in exchange for exclusive rights to Rage, you weren’t. So you either know something or have suddenly gone deaf since you were standing within hearing distance.”


“Well now that you mention it…”


“Don’t do that, Em. Don’t lie to me! You and I, of all the group, have always had a friendship built on honesty, even when you thought I was an asshole. Don’t ruin my trust in you that way!”


I look at Brian...really look at him. Where there is usually a sparkle in his eyes, right now all that is there is confusion and hurt. I inhale a quick breath and release it before addressing him. “Brian, I’m not completely certain what is going on, but I know that it is in Justin’s best interest to disassociate himself from Michael as soon as he’s able. Michael has made his position about selling the comic more than clear. Hell, I think everything and everyone, including the pets, heard Michael’s screeching. As for Justin, he’s just tired, honey. He’ll tell you what you need to know.”


“It just feels like he no longer trusts me.”


“He trusts you Brian, believe me he does. It’s just… well I’m going to say it. None of us have the best track record when it comes to Michael-fueled disputes. We tend to pick sides and it seems that Justin always comes out on the wrong side of the issue. I think he just wants to wait until it’s all done before he tells you the whole of the matter. Just be a little more patient.”


“Patience has never been my virtue.”


“No it hasn’t, but don’t you think you’re old enough to learn to cultivate it now? And don’t think I didn’t notice the aforementioned slip of your tongue. My last name uttered in that manner is…”


“Hey, keep any mention of my tongue and you out of the same sentence.” Brian mock shudders and I can’t help but laugh.


“Come on, oh squeamish one. Let’s get aboard that plane before our men decide to leave us behind!”


“What about him?” Brian points to the petulant Mr. Novotny-Bruckner sitting over in the corner waiting to be called. I can’t say that I’m sorry he won’t be joining us in first class. But although Ben upgraded his ticket to be in that section, he kept Michael’s ticket at Business class level.


“He should be grateful he isn’t riding with the rest of the herd,” I muttered, before turning back to Brian. “Don’t you dare upgrade his ticket Brian. Teddy just had to stop Blake from doing the same thing. Perhaps some time alone in BC will help him sort out his thoughts in the proper way. With no one, especially not you, to complain to, maybe he will for once just do as he is asked and make use of the journal. Michael has some decisions to make, as we all do. You can’t fix this for him. You can only work on you… and concentrate on Justin.”


“I intend to, Em. I just don’t feel like getting the backlash from Deb.”


“That’s Ben’s problem, since he paid for the tickets. But I somehow suspect that he’s beyond caring at this point.”


“He is.”


“So now back to you… you have your assignment, you have the technology, so go forth and reconquer Sunshine. Michael will be fine.”

 

And with that, we boarded the plane on our way into the unknown...