- Text Size +

 

 

 

FIRE and ICE: BOOK II: CHAPTER 6: TALKING BOOK


DREW:


Is it wrong to feel vindicated right now? I mean, I’ve always know that Michael was a little snake, even though he would come off more as a harmless little lamb. The thing that still troubles me, and if I’m honest, still pisses me off is that Ted, Brian, and Emmett were unwilling to see it. I won’t say unable, because that implies that they suffer from the same willful blindness that Deb does, which they don’t. They have some of the strongest bullshit detectors known to man, except when it comes to Michael Novotny. One thing is for sure though: I’m so fucking proud of Ben right now. He’s finally being the man he’s always been and not the mouse they tried to turn him into.


It’s that thought that makes me ask, “Ben, what do you think would happen if we send the recording to Carl? I mean, I don’t want him to receive some fabricated victimhood story, or be under some misguided belief that what’s happened is solely on Michael’s shoulders this time around.”


“You make a good point. Although I already ordered a copy of the soundbyte to accompany Michael’s crap over to Deb’s house, I think maybe I should email Carl the clip, too. At least that way, he won’t have to question or speculate what has Debbie about ready to huff, puff, and blow the house down like the big bad wolf.”


“You don’t think that she’ll vent her spleen to him?” Blake asks, as we all shake our heads.


“Not if she can’t find a way for her and Michael to appear blameless,” Justin says. “She’ll find a way to say it’s hormones, or something as insignificant as that so that Carl won’t really know that she’s in the shit because of her vicious tongue. He may not say anything if she doesn’t bring it up- Vic used to do that when Deb had her tits in a twist- but he’ll at least know to duck and run for cover. This is one time you don’t want him going in blind to the situation, and not because of spite or revenge, but because a person should at least know why they are being verbally attacked, or provoked into an action. In this case, it will be him leaving her without cause, where she’ll say that he’s overreacting and being unreasonable to something she did or said. Sound familiar?”


“Well we know where Michael learned to play ‘Dodge and Deflect’, don’t we?” I sigh.


Our conversation gets interrupted by Alex’s phone ringing. Based on his look- a mixture of anger and worry- the news can’t be something we’re looking forward to hearing about. “Are you sure he did?” He asks, and I already know in my heart that Michael has done something incredibly stupid, yet again. It makes me want to change my vote to get his little sneaky ass back to the Pitts as soon as possible, before I send him on a one-way trip to the pit of hell after killing him. “Yeah, just keep doing what you’re doing for now. I’ll tell them.” He hangs up as we all look at him expectantly.


“What is it, Alex?” Barry asks, before speculating, “He did it, didn’t he?”


Alex nods once, before addressing us all as a whole. “We didn’t want to have to tell you guys of the potential problems inhabiting this island at the moment until we were sure there was going to be an issue. Apparently, Michael went to a bar here in the center of town tonight…”


“And? It’s not like that’s unusual,” Ted says, eyes narrowed.


“True, it’s not. However, the problems began with his research this afternoon while he was in his villa. Although it’s not the ideal situation, Blake, your grandfather’s death and your subsequent inheritance has become public knowledge. It’s all over the business section of the NYT. All Michael would have had to do is type your name, and if he’s been in touch with his mother and Diane told her who she is...”


“But what does that have to do with… oh shit!” Blake gasps.


“What is it, Squirt?” I ask, already dreading the answer.


“I knew that the news would hit, but I was hoping for a little more time before it did,” Blake says, as if he’s talking to himself. The more he paces and thinks aloud, the more agitated he becomes. It’s defined by the slight tremble and fidgeting he’s so obviously trying to keep in check. “What do you want to bet that with my new windfall, Michael somehow got word to my former friends? Now that he can’t hold Ted’s money over my head and can’t use that to make me leave him anymore…”


“It just means that you have to tell Ted all of it. Tonight, Blake, and without delay,” Bernard advises. “I’ll help you through it, but perhaps you should also let the guys know, too.”


“Know what?” Justin asks.


“Before Blake answers that, let me inform you, Justin, that Michael’s browser shows that he’s also done research on you, as well,” Alex interrupts. “My guess is that he was checking to make sure you would be sorry for ditching Rage, instead of never looking back.”


“It’s just the sort of thing he would do, but…”


“But what, Sunshine?” Brian asks. I can feel the trepidation pouring off of him in waves.


“Nothing much, Brian, except the offer for a job that I haven’t discussed with you yet. I’ve been toying with the idea for awhile, but… Well, I don’t really want to take it, but a lot of people would be out of a job if I don’t.”


“What’s holding you back from it?”


“The director mostly.”


“Tell him to fuck off.”


“Been there, done that, but he won’t take no for an answer.”


“Guys, I think we should order some food, skip the assignment for the night, and let’s get down on some hard truths,” Alex tells us. “Although there are some situations that should be dealt with in private with your individual counselors, from the sound of it, there are some other issues which need to be addressed as a group. The fact that Michael has spent his afternoon researching Justin and Blake speaks of his desperation, and now with him coming into contact with at least one potential ally…”


“Ally?!” We all gasp. This was supposed to be a safe haven for us to address our shit.


“Yes. We didn’t tell you all of the potential sanity-killers specifically because we didn’t want to cause undue concern.”


“But you’re mentioning it now, so I take there is now,” Ben says.

 

“More than any of you could know,” Alex sighs. “Sit down, and order, guys. And then we will adopt Sun Tzu’s theory to know your enemy.”