- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Lily wakes up.

It feels like the biggest rock in the whole wide world is on top of her. Her legs and arms and belly and head hurt. They all hurt.

 

Lots of the time, Lily is asleep. She knows that much. She just doesn't know about the times when she hears stuff but doesn't see stuff. She thinks they must be dreams but they are not the same as other dreams. Sometimes she can't move and can't see and she hears beep beep beep beep. Sometimes she hears Aunt Cynthia's voice reading some of Lily's favorite stories, like The Last Stop on Market Street and The Giving Tree. When Aunt Cynthia reads The Giving Tree, her voice sounds all stuffy and wobbly, like she has a cold or she's crying. But that's silly. Lily used to cry when Daddy and Papa read that to her, but they would tell her it was only a story and not real life so that she wouldn't be as sad. Aunt Cynthia has to know that The Giving Tree is not real life, right?

 

She hears Daddy at first. She's scared because she hears Daddy crying hard and not because of The Giving Tree. When she first hears Daddy, he cries so hard that he doesn't seem like he is gonna stop and Lily wants to cry too because it makes her sad and scared. But she can not cry and she can not ask what is the matter. He must feel better now though. She hasn't heard Daddy cry since. She's barely heard Daddy talk to her at all. Gussy talks more than Daddy does and she hasn't dreamed about Gussy since the time she dreamed he pushed her into a pool and there was a shark in there. She was mad at Gussy for three days, even though Papa said it was only a dream.

 

She hasn't heard Papa at all. She wonders if the reason she can't get up is because Papa is the one on top of her, like before, when he had fallen after she got hurt and the train tipped over. That was probably a dream too. Before, Papa had asked her if it was likely if a shark would be in a pool when they live in the ocean - to make her see reasons, he had said. A train falling down didn't seem likely either. So that must be a dream. The worst dream ever.

 

She hopes it's a dream.

 

Lily wants Daddy. She wants Papa even more. She is sick of dreaming.

 

She wants to wake up now.

-----------------

At 8:30 pm, Brian is alone when he feels a jolt go through his body as Lily begins to make mumbling noises, her head moving slightly as if she wants to toss and turn but can't. Brian puts both of his hands on his daughter, not knowing what else to do with them, before reaching up to run his fingers through her messy curls, carefully avoiding the bandage.

 

He'll need to fix her hair. Ask Gus or Emmett or someone to mix Lily some more spray with the stuff Eric has stored in Lily's bathroom. Eric would be so pissed at Brian if he saw her hair right now.

 

"Lily?" Brian gets out hoarsely, "Lily, honey, you awake?"

 

Lily doesn't answer at first, but does make more noise, as if she's trying to. Brian is suddenly desperate for his daughter to wake up - absolutely desperate - and inches in closer as if she might sense his presence enough to want to.

 

Slowly but surely, Lily opens her eyes, no more than a squint. Brian bites back what are probably wails and tries to rein everything in so that he can be present and comforting for his daughter.

 

"Hi, baby," Brian says, his voice shaky as he strokes her cheeks and tries to smile.

 

Lily's eyes flick around the room in confusion, before settling on Brian, "Daddy?"

 

Her voice isn't more of a whisper but it's there, it's fucking there, and it almost breaks Brian completely. But instead of giving into that, he takes her uninjured hand in his and presses several kisses against the back of her palm, "Yes, it's me. It's Daddy."

 

Lily still stares at him in complete bewilderment before looking around the room again, her neck finally letting her head turn, "Where's Papa?"

 

Brian's heart seizes in his chest as his breaths come more quickly. Without saying a word about Eric, he reaches over and presses the call button. He should have done that to begin with. The nurses need to know Lily is awake.

 

"You got hurt very badly," Brian answers instead, having to force those words out, "You're in the hospital but you're going to get better, okay? The doctors say one hundred percent better now that you're up. I'm going to take care of you and you have...you have a lot of people who love you and will do the same."

 

The nurse walks in but must have a feeling she should wait. Lily doesn't pay her any attention, not with an introduction or questions about her job. Nothing. Lily just looks at Brian, her eyes a little more open now but still utterly exhausted and confused, "I'm tired, Daddy."

 

Brian nods, blinking tears out of his eyes, "You...You go back to sleep then. Just rest."

 

"Papa? He come tuck me in?"

 

Brian's face crumples and he lets out a hitched breath, "I'm sorry, Lily. Not tonight."

----------------------------

Brian makes sure Cynthia, Gus, and Amanda are at the hospital the next morning before Lily wakes up. He hates putting any of them through this and he knows it will be a hard thing to witness. But he can't do it alone. He needs backup in case he needs to leave the room and he needs Lily to have support. She's the most important person right now. He can only focus on what she needs.

 

"Uh…" Brian starts as soon as the three arrive, "I don't know how she is going to react to this. At all. I don't know whether she will understand. She understands a lot more than a four year old should but I don't know how she will handle this. She knows what death is when it comes to pets because of JR's old hamster and that made an impression on her but not when it comes to…"

 

Brian trails off and lets out a breath, then doesn't even know what else to say.

 

"Together, we'll handle it, okay?" Cynthia speaks up, "And she has more people out in the waiting room. George, Diego, Clover, and her grandparents are in there. Mel, Lindsey, Jess, and Emmett are too. Emmett said he would call Drew and have him drive Duncan here to see her if she is up for it. If you need a break, you just say so and we will be there for her. She'll get through this."

 

She might, but he won't. That's all Brian can think when they walk into Lily's room. They don't have to wait long. By 8 am, Lily is opening her eyes again and by 9 am, she is awake enough to eat a light breakfast.

 

"I would like to see Papa now," Lily says after her last bite, studying each person in the room, waiting for one of them to give her what she wants.

 

Brian takes a few steadying breaths and takes Lily's hand. Lily looks down at the joined hands sharply before meeting Brian's eyes.

 

"Lily," Brian starts quietly then forces his voice to become stronger, "Honey, I don't know how much you remember about getting hurt, but there was a horrible accident on the train ride back. That's why you have casts and bandages on. You were hurt very, very badly. It was serious."

 

Lily watches him warily and ignores his words, "I wanna see Papa."

 

Brian nods and sucks in a breath, "I know. I know you do. I want to see him too. But while you got very, very hurt, slept for a long time, then woke up...your papa didn't wake up. Papa...Papa died, Lily."

 

Brian feels his lower lip trembling and sees Gus wiping at his face from the corner of his eye. He expects Lily to do the same, prepares himself to comfort his crying daughter. But that's not what happens. Lily's expression doesn't change before she speaks again.

 

"You're lyin'," she decides slowly, her eyes not leaving Brian, "You're making a joke. Pranking me like I do Gussy. It's a bad one. It's not funny."

 

Brian closes his eyes and shakes his head, "Lily, honey, I'm not. I'm not lying to you or joking. I would never joke about something like that, ever."

 

"You are!" Lily's voice raises, lifting both arms to slam them on the bed with a wince, "Stop it, Daddy! Stop lying to me! It's not funny!"

 

"I wish I was lying," Brian chokes out, "I know it's upsetting, the last thing I want to do is upset you but you need to know why he isn't here. You know he would be here if you only had a scraped up knee. You know he would be if he could and that's why he's not-"

 

Brian is cut off by an ear-splitting scream. Lily reaches over with her good arm to grab her breakfast tray and throw it as hard as she can. Amanda steps out of the way and lets it fall to the ground just as Lily breaks down into hysterical sobs.

 

"I WANT PAPA! I WANT TO SEE PAPA!" Lily heaves out as Brian tries to bring her in for an embrace as much as he can without hurting her or disturbing the remaining wires and tubes. It's the only thing Lily continues to say.

 

Brian forces himself to wait, to just keep it together until Lily falls back asleep. It doesn't take long. Considering she woke up from being heavily sedated last night and just had the biggest meltdown Brian has ever seen from her, she passes out not even ten minutes into it, her cheek against Brian's shoulder all while still mumbling, "I want Papa…" as her eyes fall shut.

 

And then Brian waits. Brian just waits and watches his baby's tear stained face and her breathing even out with sleep before taking a risk to say, "Cynthia, I need a break."

 

He hears Cynthia's shoes tap against the hospital tile as she immediately stands next to him and gingerly takes his place, cradling Lily just as he had seconds before, "Go."

 

Brian walks down the hall and barely makes it to the bathroom before letting out an anguished and primal howl, bending over from the force of it. By the time someone walks in moments later, Brian's washing his face and walking out the door.

--------------------------

Lily sleeps well into the afternoon. During that time, Emmett comes to sit with him in the room while Amanda insists on taking Gus shopping for Christmas (Brian thinks Amanda just wants Gus to stop looking so damn upset) and reportedly drags James, Louisa, and George along for the awkward family adventure. He can't be sure if James and Louisa say yes. Brian hasn't really seen them since arriving back in New York. He has no idea what to do or say around them.

 

As for Cynthia? She goes out and buys Lily a new iPad. No, correction: an iPad Pro, accompanied with a childproof case. According to her, it is one that has 256 GB as well as cellular and wifi connections.

 

"Are you serious?" Brian says, eyebrows raised as he shakes his head incredulously, "We did the campaign on this so don't try to fool me on the price. You shelled out close to thirteen hundred dollars on a four year old?"

 

"She needs the space so that she has plenty of movies and books to choose from while she's here. I got Gus one too," Cynthia says, handing Brian a box donning an apple logo, then hands one to Emmett, "JR as well. It's only fair. And Duncan."

 

"That's so sweet and unnecessary of you," Emmett says, cooing out the words before a more serious expression falls on his face, "But we are thinking of taking away Duncan's tablet for a while."

 

To Brian's surprise, Cynthia almost pouts but hands the box over to Emmett regardless, "Well, think differently. I want him to have this. He's a good friend to Lily. I'm going to go get some food across the street. Don't try to talk me out of that too."

 

Brian watches Cynthia walk out of the room before turning to Emmett. Despite having not much interest in anything the last few days, Duncan getting his tablet taken ignites some within him a little, "What did he do with it?"

 

Emmett sighs, "Nothing terrible. But he knows how to get past the parental controls and the time limits for one thing. I don't think he knows the password. He just knows how to cheat it by resetting it and getting some of the apps to open."

 

"Smart little fucker," Brian actually laughs.

 

"Well…" Emmett starts, then strangely glances at Lily, "Okay, look, I don't want to rat your daughter out on a day like today but both she and Duncan have a third party messenger app that they text and video chat on when we're not looking."

 

Brian lets that particular piece of news sink in. Maybe it's because Brian's life has literally been destroyed and left in shambles and that puts things in perspective or maybe he's glad his child is still alive and will be able to continue to pull one over on Brian here and there like she apparently did with this app, but he just can't find it in him to be all that mad.

 

"What do their texts look like?" Brian decides to ask, "I'm truly curious."

 

Emmett huffs, "Some of it is gibberish, but I think they use talk to text for a lot of it. Whether they can always read it or not, I don't know."

 

"Lily apparently has the reading level of a second grader, but her writing level is around first grade," Brian shrugs, watching his daughter, "I am sure she can read it fine."

 

"Duncan actually tested at a first grade level last Friday," Emmett says proudly, "The teachers were testing to check the childrens' progress and see if they were on track for kindergarten. He's about the same in Math."

 

Brian nods, "Well, this is your fault then, our genius children teaming up, hacking into tablets, and gossiping behind our backs. You chose to be Duncan's dad. I didn't get to choose Lily. She was just born and Eric and I got stuck with her..."

 

And suddenly, the lightness of the conversation stops and Brian can only think of the day Lily was born. Brian had fallen for Lily when he first held her, but he had fallen for Eric even more when he saw Lily in the man's arms.

 

Brian watches Eric closely as he holds their new baby in his arms. Eric's bright, nervous, happy eyes meet Brian's own before he says, "She looks like me, right? I think she looks like me."

 

Brian looks down at the baby, then scoffs, "You're seriously asking that question? You just want validation on your strong ass genes."

 

Eric rolls his eyes before staring down at Lily lovingly, "She has my hair, my skin tone, I think she will have my face shape too. She's beautiful. She is going to be absolutely beautiful. Smart too, I just know it."

 

Brian watches the both of them, his heart aching as he can't help but smile at Eric's adoring expression, "Yeah, she really will be."

 

"Oh, honey…"

 

Brian snaps out of the memory and feels that his face is wet with tears. Emmett is softly rubbing his back so Brian quickly scrubs at his face beneath the glasses Gus insisted he put on so he wouldn't squint at the chart. Now they're fucking in the way, but he doesn't want to take them off because Eric had been the one to pick them out.

 

"I'm sorry," Brian chokes out, sniffling as he pulls himself back together, "It was stupid. I was just thinking of something stupid. Sorry."

 

"I'm sure it wasn't stupid," Emmett murmurs, reaching up to rub the back of his neck, "...Brian, sweetie, you know we aren't going to judge you if you-"

 

"You should have Duncan come see Lily," Brian interrupts in an attempt to change the subject, "This evening, if she wakes up and takes what I told her a little better. I think it would cheer her up. They could watch a movie or something. I'll uh...I'll go down the street and get them some popcorn from the movie theater. Lily...Lily probably can't eat much of it since she just came off the drip yesterday but I can get her a smoothie."

 

Brian feels Emmett watching him closely and he braces himself for Emmett to continue trying to comfort him. But Emmett just sighs and nods, "Okay, baby. I'll call Drew and see if he can get Duncan ready now to beat the traffic. I can meet them for a late lunch and I will bring them over here. I'm sure Duncan will be excited to see her."

-------------------------------------

Emmett meets Drew at the curb before getting into the SUV. He immediately sees his son's face watching out the window intently, as if he knows Lily is in the building behind Emmett and asks as much as soon as Emmett sits down and greets Drew with a quick kiss.

 

"Lily in there?" Duncan asks, still peering outside.

 

"Yes, honey," Emmett confirms, "She's inside."

 

"We going in now?"

 

"Soon," Drew says, "We are going to find a place to park the car, then go find a good place to eat. Sound good?"

 

Through the mirror, Emmett can see Duncan shrug his shoulders, "I want to see Lily now. Can we get takeout? We can bring Lily back lunch!"

 

"She's asleep right now, sweetie," Emmett tells him.

 

"Again?" Duncan asks incredulously.

 

"She's still going to be tired, bud," Drew says, turning onto the next street, "She has a lot of healing to do and she still has some of those meds in her body. But hopefully by the time we are done eating, she will be up for seeing us. Maybe we can find her a nice gift to bring to her room."

 

"Flowers!" Duncan exclaims, "And a bear."

 

"Flowers and a bear it is," Emmett smiles.

 

They park the car and find a health food restaurant not far from the hospital where they can build their own salad and sit down. Duncan's willingness to eat close to anything is one of the many reasons raising him is mostly hassle free. Keeping him fed is a little harder than filling up Lily, but he's usually open about what he tries and appreciates whatever food is put in front of him, as long as it's good.

 

"That's a good salad you made there," the man behind the counter says to Duncan as soon as they check out.

 

"But you made it," Duncan answers, confused, before grabbing the plastic bowl filled with spinach, vegetables, chicken, and sunflower seeds, then looks up at the man with his soulful brown eyes, "Don't sell yourself short."

 

Emmett gives his son a double take, as do Drew and the salad extraordinaire. Emmett has no idea where Duncan heard that phrase but he's not too surprised Duncan said it. That's his baby, lifting up people's spirits and hyping them up. He can't blame Brian for wanting Duncan here. If anyone can get Lily to feel a little better, it's Duncan.

 

Emmett tries to slow Duncan down, even by caving and having him help set up the new iPad. It's a choice that's probably just flat out stupid, to have Duncan watch him set up the initial controls, but if it gets him to stop gobbling down his food in hopes that he will see Lily sooner, then whatever. They keep him distracted with that, barely, along with adding new games and uploading Duncan's library to the Kindle app. But soon, after Duncan's finished with his salad and juice, he's standing up and showing that he's ready to go by saying, "I can play with this later. Come on! Let's go find flowers and a bear! It's for Lily! We have to!"

 

And how can Emmett say "just wait" to a loving and selfless proposal like that?

----------------------

Duncan walks through the big hopsickal doors, standing between Daddy and Pa as he carries the flowers. He had wanted to carry both the flowers and the stuffed animal but he wanted Lily to have the biggest one. It's a BIG one too. It's not a bear, but it's an elephant and elephants are Lily's favorite. It's so big that Pa has to carry it!

 

They go up the elevator to Lily's floor and Duncan's whole body is feeling shaky because he's excited since Lily is his girlfriend and he hasn't seen her for a long time. Daddy says he needs to be calm and easy with Lily and to not be confused or hurt if Lily seems like she's acting different. Duncan had just nodded but he wanted to get what his Daddy calls sassy. Of COURSE Lily is going to be different. She's going to be sad and really sad because Eric died and Eric is Lily's papa. When Pa told him Lily's papa died, Duncan got sad too and cried because Eric is one of the bestest people Duncan knows, behind Lily, Pa, and Daddy. Pa tried to tell Duncan what death is but Duncan knows what that means. Duncan knows because he got sad when Baba died. Duncan doesn't remember much about Baba and he didn't know what happened to Baba until Duncan watched The Lion King again before Halloween and Mufasa died. Duncan remembers the bad man came in and had what Duncan now knows is a gun and it went bang bang! Baba fell and Duncan cried because the noise was loud. The bad man told Duncan he was sorry, took stuff, and left. Duncan remembers crawling to Baba and pushing at Baba and Baba didn't wake up, just like Mufasa not didn't wake up when Simba tried to do the same thing.

 

But Duncan doesn't like to think about that, not at all. Duncan has Daddy and Pa now and he remembers Daddy and Pa a lot better than Baba. Duncan used to remember more about Baba but now that's one of the only things he remembers about him. It's why he has bad dreams. Duncan wishes he could forget Baba because of that, even though he remembers loving Baba like he loves Daddy and Pa.

 

Like Lily loves her daddy and papa. And now Lily's papa died and she is very, very sad.

 

When Daddy opens Lily's hopsickal room door, Duncan sees Brian doing Lily's hair. Duncan knows that Lily said keeping her hair pretty is 'portant because her hair can be hard to keep nice sometimes. Duncan thinks her hair always looks nice but Lily says that's because she and her daddy and papa work really hard at it. Brian is braiding Lily's hair and it keeps her hair away from her face. Duncan doesn't think Lily has seen them yet because Lily's face isn't smiling and she isn't talking or saying hi. She's just staring at her iPad but Duncan doesn't think she is watching the movie on there.

 

Brian ties Lily's hair at the bottom, kisses the top of her head then says, "There's someone here to see you."

 

Lily turns her head towards them in a way that makes her look tired and even sadder before her eyes land on Duncan. Lily's gaze locks on him before her shoulders slouch and she looks down.

 

"Hi, Duncan," Lily mumbles out, still staring down at her blanket and Duncan hates it. He hates Lily sounding tired and sad even though he knows why she's both. He wants Lily to be happy like she almost always is. Lily is different. It makes Duncan sadder than before and it makes him sad to see her hurt. It's Duncan's job to make Lily feel better, even if it is only for a little bit, because Lily is his girlfriend.

 

"I missed you, Lily," Duncan says to her, walking in quickly to put the flowers in her lap, "I got you flowers. An elephant too, because they are your favorite."

 

Lily doesn't squeal or clap her hands or say they are the most beautiful flowers in the world like she did last time. Lily just nods silently, her expression not changing as she quietly says, "Thank you."

 

Duncan watches Lily for a moment, then takes the flowers off her lap before looking up at Brian. Brian looks even sadder than Lily does and THAT'S saying something. But Duncan 'poses that makes sense. Duncan has a feeling his daddy would be really sad if his pa died and his pa would be really sad if his daddy died. But Duncan doesn't like to think of any of that. Hates it, actually.

 

"These need water," Duncan tells Brian, holding the flowers up for Brian to take, "Can you find some?"

 

Brian stares at the flowers for a long time, then clears his throat, "Yeah, in a minute. Why don't you both pick out a movie? I'll move the chair closer to the bed so that-"

 

"Duncan can sit on the bed with me."

 

The words come from Lily and both he and Brian turn their heads to look at her.

 

"On this side," Lily says, moving her less hurt side.

 

Brian lets out a sigh, "I don't know. You're hurt and -"

 

"He'll be careful," Lily interrupts quietly, "Duncan won't hurt me. He never would."

 

"Never," Duncan agrees solemnly.

 

Brian looks at the two of them, purses his lips, then helps Duncan get out of his coat, hat, and gloves, and onto the bed, lifting him up and situating him just enough so that he can be next to Lily and they can both be comfortable. Lily puts her iPad in between the both of them and scrolls through lots and lots of movies, even a few that are still in some movie theaters and one that isn't even there yet! Duncan doesn't know Lily got Kung Fu Panda 3 on her iPad but Duncan is surprised. Lily is really good at lots of things, but Duncan has always been better at tablet stuff. He's the one who made it so they can talk on them and get past the timer.

 

"Which one you wanna watch?" Lily asks, still scrolling, "Aunt Cynthia put on lots for me."

 

Duncan shrugs, like he doesn't care. It's sort of a lie, since he really does want to watch Kung Fu Panda 3 but he wants Lily to watch what she wants to watch more, "You pick. I don't care."

 

Lily shrugs too, like she doesn't care either and she must not because she puts on Snow White and Lily doesn't like Snow White. She says she's boring but Duncan likes her okay, even though she's not his favorite either.

 

Brian walks over to look at the movie, then glances down at the two of them "I'm going to go and get you guys popcorn from the movie theater. Lily, Emmett is going down to get you a smoothie and some soup from Hello Bistro, okay?"

 

Duncan manages to control his excitement at the word 'popcorn' and keeps it to nodding his head enthusiastically. Lily doesn't get excited at all.

 

"Get water too, please!" Duncan says as Daddy and Brian start to walk out, pointing at the flowers on the nightstand, "For the flowers!"

 

Pa puts the elephant on the chair next to the bed, then goes and sits on the couch by the window. He ends up keeping to himself so much that Duncan honestly forgets that he's there. Duncan is so focused on Lily that it's like she's the only one in the room. The room itself is quiet. Really quiet. Lily isn't laughing or singing with the movie (which Duncan can usually expect even when Lily doesn't like the movie much). She isn't ignoring the movie to talk to him instead, which Duncan wouldn't mind either. She's just sitting there, watching the movie but not really. It makes Duncan sad. It makes Duncan want-

 

"Do you know about what happened to my papa, Duncan?"

 

The words come out of Lily quietly and sadly, as if she doesn't want to say them. Duncan nods his head and bites his lip.

 

"I know," Duncan says back, "Pa told me. It makes me very sad."

 

Duncan watches Lily as her face screws up and her eyes get all wet, "It makes me very sad too!"

 

Lily covers her face and cries into her not hurt hand. Out of the corner of his eye, Duncan sees Pa stand up to help but Duncan signs 'wait' to him because Molly taught him how. Pa must not know sign language like Molly does because he doesn't wait, just looks at him strangely, so Duncan says, "I handle it, Pa. Wait, please."

 

Pa gives him another strange look but waits.

 

"It's okay to be sad, Lily," Duncan says and Duncan knows that's true because Molly says that all feelings were okay to feel.

 

"It's not o-okay!" Lily hiccups out, "I won't see my papa e-ever again because that's what happens when someone dies! You never see them! I told D-Daddy that I d-didn't even get to say g-goodbye and that it wasn't fair for Papa to die if people c-couldn't say bye to him because Papa has a lot of friends and he has Daddy and me and my baby sister! Daddy said there's something they do call futurals to help people say bye and I asked when that was and he said Sunday, but I can't go because I am stuck in here! He said maybe they can do a morial service later if I need that and I don't even know what that means! But I can't go to the futural and that makes me very sad too! It's not fair! It's not-"

 

Lily breaks down into sobs and cries even harder and Duncan's heart is feeling thumpy and scared because he's never seen Lily this sad. Ever. Not even when her favorite pair of sandals broke! But you can get new sandals. You can't get a new Eric.

 

"I stay with you on Sunday, Lily," Duncan says, inching closer, "All day. I miss the futural too. Promise."

 

Lily sniffles and takes her hand off her face, "You can't promise. Papa promised we could have my Aunt Amanda, Uncle Diego, Julian, Carlos, Uncle George, Clover, Grandpa, Bisabuela, and maybe even Abuela if she want to come for Christmas this time so we can be a big, happy family and now Papa won't even be here."

 

Duncan stares at Lily, hard, "I will make a plan. I know how to get here! I get on the PATH and the M34 bus, even if I got to come by myself! And I know that's right because I looked at a map when Pa told me you came to this hopsickal! I checked!"

 

He can hear his Pa make a noise, as if he's surprised, but Duncan can't focus on Pa when Lily needs him more. But before Duncan can do any more 'vincing, Pa gets over it and speaks up.

 

"We'll drop Duncan off so that he can stay with you," Pa says softly, "Find someone you like to watch you both. We'll make it happen."

 

Lily looks at both Duncan and Pa, still looking sad but then less sad than before.

 

"...Okay," Lily agrees, still sniffling, "Maybe...Maybe Daddy can put episodes of Sous Chef on my iPad. So that we can watch me and Papa together."

 

"Okay," Duncan says.

 

"That...That might make you really sad right now, Lily," Pa says, "It might make your daddy really sad too."

 

Lily lets out a soft cry, "I just wanna see Papa…"

 

Duncan doesn't know what else to say to make Lily feel better. He wants her to feel better, but he's starting to feel like she might not any time soon. She lets her head fall on Duncan's shoulder, like she wants to be hugged. Duncan knows he's done that to Daddy and Pa when he wants hugged so he hugs Lily because hugs can help you feel better. Safer. And that's how they stay, even when Daddy and Brian come back.

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Let me know what you think!